• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon |OT| Take ghost-busting to the Next Level

Chuckie

Just finished the 4th mansion. I was so 'afraid' of that boss because of all the stories here. Got him at my first time haha. I didn't think he was hard at all. I had more problems with the first.

Maybe I got real lucky.

Yuterald

I finally finished the game yesterday after a long 27 hours. I actually only have 4 missions left to 3-Star, 1 Boo to collect, and 3 Gems and I'll have the main game 100% complete. I really enjoyed the game the further I got. The final mansion was incredible. The boss was pretty fun too and somewhat made up for how disappointing the last few bosses were. I still have mixed feelings about the whole game, especially compared to the original, but overall I really enjoyed myself. The mansions were just TOO WELL designed to nitpick. Don't really care for the multiplayer, but I'll probably mop up the rest of the singleplayer stuff before I shelf it for awhile.

Does anyone know if there is any sort of unlockable/reward/title screen change (lol) for maxing out your Gold? I've amassed 77,000+ Gold and I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to make the player max out a counter to unlock some minor element (especially after recently coming off of New Super Mario Bros. 2).

OwlyKnees

I finally finished the game yesterday after a long 27 hours. I actually only have 4 missions left to 3-Star, 1 Boo to collect, and 3 Gems and I'll have the main game 100% complete. I really enjoyed the game the further I got. The final mansion was incredible. The boss was pretty fun too and somewhat made up for how disappointing the last few bosses were. I still have mixed feelings about the whole game, especially compared to the original, but overall I really enjoyed myself. The mansions were just TOO WELL designed to nitpick. Don't really care for the multiplayer, but I'll probably mop up the rest of the singleplayer stuff before I shelf it for awhile.

What did you think was incredible about it?

No snark, honestly curious! As it was my least favourite.

Yuterald

What did you think was incredible about it?

No snark, honestly curious! As it was my least favourite.

I don't know, I just genuinely loved the design/flow to it. I mean, I loved all the mansions, but the last one really clicked for me.

The approach/view from the beginning, where they have Luigi cross platforms over a swirling vortex canyon only to have it fall apart as you arrive at the entrance, I just loved the way it looked/felt. It gave me that "This is it, there's no turning back" old school vibe which I always appreciate. The lost woods-like catacombs beneath the mansion was really neat too, especially how they had you examining armor pieces to direct you through the maze. It was just a nice twist on an old idea which incorporated the black light. The ghost armors in general were cool as shit too. They almost gave me an RE4 vibe which isn't a bad thought to have. Pulling the rug underneath them as they chased you felt really satisfying as well. It was probably the most interesting "new" enemy type/situation the game had to offer (I really didn't care for the force field/stronger ghost types).

I thought the actual mansion itself was just really well designed too. Sure, the portal-like nature of the mansion felt/looked like a cop-out in terms of design props/assets, but how they had you going back and forth between the exhibit rooms, bringing the elements (fire and water, etc.) to solve puzzles, it just triggered all the right signals in my brain. I was really blown away when I started to hunt for Gems and I found myself bringing the air balloon from one room to the other in order to find secrets. Too cool.

I will say that the most disappointing thing about the mansion was the mission goals themselves, but that can be said about the entire game, honestly. I mean, how many times do we have to chase that dog? Also, the last real mission had you essentially doing what the secret boo mission requires you to do which was pretty lame.

braves01

Banned
Yeah, E-1 is maybe my favorite mission of the game. Really cool stuff.

However, that mansion really makes me miss the portrait ghosts from the first game, as I imagined some old explorer/adventurer being the owner of the mansion, which could've been a cool character to face off against. Each mansion should have had its "owner" as the boss character.

Socreges

Banned
After breezing through the game so far, I'm shocked to say that I'm stuck and could use a tip...

B-2 (Pinwheel gate)

How do I get up to the third floor?? I need to get two more pieces of the gate.

Edit - nm got it! Nifty secret, nintendo

Just beat the game. I found it fantastic. I enjoyed taking my time through each Mission, and I actually liked the structure of the game.

The puzzles were creative, yet always intuitive. Hard to talk about without spoiling the fun. The animations have so much character to them, constantly funny and entertaining. The secret entrances and peepholes are always well-placed. I also liked the bosses and the variety in the way you combat different Greenies.

My only complaints were the controls. They're not terrible or even very bad. But they are a problem at certain points. I never used gyros for aiming, and the Up/Down aiming was too binary and stiff sometimes. Other times, I feel like even the circle pad didn't give me as much control as I wanted when trying to line up and aim things to shoot out of the vacuum. Maybe my circle pad is busted, but I never felt this lack of control on other titles.

Overall, a must-have for 3DS. I'm not even a big adventure game fan, but Next Level Games knocked this out of the park. I think I'll go back for Boos and Gems at some point. I haven't even tried multi yet either.

The second last mission of the game has totally ruined the game for me.
timed and no checkpoints at all
. I dont know what the devs were thinking.

The second last mission of the game has totally ruined the game for me.
timed and no checkpoints at all
. I dont know what the devs were thinking.

Really? I didn't even realize it was
timed
until the second time the Professor called me on the Dual Scream, and I still beat it the first try. Not playing the "expert gamer" card, but I think the
time limit
is pretty generous.

Really? I didn't even realize it was
timed
until the second time the Professor called me on the Dual Scream, and I still beat it the first try. Not playing the "expert gamer" card, but I think the
time limit
is pretty generous.

There seems to be a certain order to do it. I just died at the
ghost gauntlet
at the end of the level.

disco

Finished this last night. Fantastic. Some bosses were a bit crap and some levels were a little underdeveloped but whatever. Really good stuff!

Qassim

Recently got a 3DS and Luigi's Mansion 2 was one of the games I bought with it, and I'm rather impressed.

I bought it on recommendation of the original, which I never played, and I'm really glad I picked this up. It is such a charming and well thought out game. I'm still quite early on, though.

OwlyKnees

I don't know, I just genuinely loved the design/flow to it. I mean, I loved all the mansions, but the last one really clicked for me.

The approach/view from the beginning, where they have Luigi cross platforms over a swirling vortex canyon only to have it fall apart as you arrive at the entrance, I just loved the way it looked/felt. It gave me that "This is it, there's no turning back" old school vibe which I always appreciate. The lost woods-like catacombs beneath the mansion was really neat too, especially how they had you examining armor pieces to direct you through the maze. It was just a nice twist on an old idea which incorporated the black light. The ghost armors in general were cool as shit too. They almost gave me an RE4 vibe which isn't a bad thought to have. Pulling the rug underneath them as they chased you felt really satisfying as well. It was probably the most interesting "new" enemy type/situation the game had to offer (I really didn't care for the force field/stronger ghost types).

I thought the actual mansion itself was just really well designed too. Sure, the portal-like nature of the mansion felt/looked like a cop-out in terms of design props/assets, but how they had you going back and forth between the exhibit rooms, bringing the elements (fire and water, etc.) to solve puzzles, it just triggered all the right signals in my brain. I was really blown away when I started to hunt for Gems and I found myself bringing the air balloon from one room to the other in order to find secrets. Too cool.

I will say that the most disappointing thing about the mansion was the mission goals themselves, but that can be said about the entire game, honestly. I mean, how many times do we have to chase that dog? Also, the last real mission had you essentially doing what the secret boo mission requires you to do which was pretty lame.

Cool! Thanks for elaborating.

I do agree in that the first mission of the last mansion is fantastic. One of my favourites, too. I guess that's why I maybe found the rest disappointing, as I would have liked it to be more similar to E-1.

I also agree with the repeated objectives. It's odd, as the first game was so short, but I feel that this game was slightly too long. I would have preferred if the last mansion was shortened to the length of the Secret Mine.

Yuterald

I just got my last 3-Star rank. Wasn't too difficult in the end. Actually, some missions pretty much handed them to you where as others felt more strict. Whatever, it's done, lol! I also have all Boos captured and all Gems collected. The hardest thing about this game is finding Gems on your own. I tried my hardest not to look at a guide, but having to repeat those missions over and over again to never come up with anything was getting a bit tiresome. As rewarding as it is to find a lot them the fact that some are locked to particular missions (specifically the ones where you have to complete the bonus doors/rooms in one shot) didn't make me feel too guilty to look at a guide in the end.

Actually, looking back, I only had to look up the location of one gem for each mansion. Even then, I only looked at the room it was in and figured it out for myself. A lot of those Gems are hidden EXTREMELY well. Gotta give props to the dudes who hid 'em.

All I have left to do is play the shit out of the multiplayer. The thing is, I don't really want to! I can't "complete" my save/profile unless I invest some major time into that stink fest. I really don't care for it, hah! I guess I'll fart around with it from time to time because I'd really like to have that
golden frame profile.
Just like the first one! =D

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
All I have left to do is play the shit out of the multiplayer. The thing is, I don't really want to! I can't "complete" my save/profile unless I invest some major time into that stink fest. I really don't care for it, hah! I guess I'll fart around with it from time to time because I'd really like to have that
golden frame profile.
Just like the first one! =D

You could always just play it by yourself. Just do a ten floor rush mode solo, get to floor five to record the boss, lose on the next floor, repeat.

Thoraxes

Woah, people had a hard time on the 4th boss?

I just did it in one go lol. I didn't even take damage on it so I thought you couldn't even die.

Yuterald

You could always just play it by yourself. Just do a ten floor rush mode solo, get to floor five to record the boss, lose on the next floor, repeat.

True, but a part of me kinda of wants to unlock those Endless modes for each game type, lol! I'm so conflicted, I don't care for the multiplayer, but the OCD/completionist side of me wants to get that perfect save. Apparently, you have to beat a 25 Floor Tower in order to unlock Endless for each game type. I would actually be willing to try a 25 Floor Tower with a bunch of people here if we can get a good group together. None of my buddies in real life have played this game yet so it would be tough for me to find a somewhat dedicated group to attempt the more difficult runs.

You'll let me know if your interested in 25 Floor Tower runs. I might have time tonight to do one if anyone else is down.

Niraj

True, but a part of me kinda of wants to unlock those Endless modes for each game type, lol! I'm so conflicted, I don't care for the multiplayer, but the OCD/completionist side of me wants to get that perfect save. Apparently, you have to beat a 25 Floor Tower in order to unlock Endless for each game type. I would actually be willing to try a 25 Floor Tower with a bunch of people here if we can get a good group together. None of my buddies in real life have played this game yet so it would be tough for me to find a somewhat dedicated group to attempt the more difficult runs.

You'll let me know if your interested in 25 Floor Tower runs. I might have time tonight to do one if anyone else is down.

That is how you get them, and I wouldn't mind helping you out at some point :) I might not be free til around 11ish eastern time though.

Yuterald

That is how you get them, and I wouldn't mind helping you out at some point :) I might not be free til around 11ish eastern time though.

Yeah, I'm done for doing a run tonight. I'm on the east cost too so I'll be on around 11:00 PM if anyone else wants to join. Here's my friend code in advance: 1461-6195-7275

Niraj

Yeah, I'm done for doing a run tonight. I'm on the east cost too so I'll be on around 11:00 PM if anyone else wants to join. Here's my friend code in advance: 1461-6195-7275

Alright man, just post here or PM me whenever you want to play. I've added you, mine's 2836-0258-6594

Mistle

Started third mansion.

Really loving it, possibly best so far. The music is just amazing. (I'm finding myself liking all versions of the new theme WAY more than the main version.)

Himself

Didnt die once until i got to the 4th mansion boss. Did anyone even test this fucking thing before it went out the door? What an incredibly poorly executed boss. Currently raging at what was such a lovely game.

Edit: beaten.

braves01

Banned
I still don't understand how people are having trouble with that boss. 2 stars first try, 3 stars on the second. Pretty obvious what had to be done and fairly easy to execute.

I still don't understand how people are having trouble with that boss. 2 stars first try, 3 stars on the second. Pretty obvious what had to be done and fairly easy to execute.

Definetly wasn't easy to execute for me. I'd always overheat. Trust me-I understand what I had to do-buy I would always miss and overhead. I just now beat it on about my 6th try.

braves01

Banned
Definetly wasn't easy to execute for me. I'd always overheat. Trust me-I understand what I had to do-buy I would always miss and overhead. I just now beat it on about my 6th try.

If you take out the center pieces first, you can then just move the cursor to bottom center and time your shots to hit the spinning pieces. Then wait until you move in close before lobbing one into his mouth. That's what I did and it worked extremely well if you're thinking about going for 3 stars.

Chuckie

If you take out the center pieces first, you can then just move the cursor to bottom center and time your shots to hit the spinning pieces. Then wait until you move in close before lobbing one into his mouth. That's what I did and it worked extremely well if you're thinking about going for 3 stars.

This. You'll kill him in no time and the gun won't even get close to overheating.

the E-4 Boss on the other hand :( Still nowhere near of beating him.

FryHole

I was dreading this boss based on the reputation it was gaining in this thread - then sailed merrily through it, constantly expecting a difficulty spike that never came!

Niraj

This. You'll kill him in no time and the gun won't even get close to overheating.

the E-4 Boss on the other hand :( Still nowhere near of beating him.

Is that the
train? Darklight as many Boos as you can (so they won't interfere), grab and shoot. It's annoying when there's a bunch, but once you get rid of a few, it isn't bad.
what issue were you having?

I'm also in the "fourth boss was easy" camp. Still weird to me how polarizing that continues to be.

Chuckie

Is that the
train? Darklight as many Boos as you can (so they won't interfere), grab and shoot. It's annoying when there's a bunch, but once you get rid of a few, it isn't bad.
what issue were you having?

I'm also in the "fourth boss was easy" camp. Still weird to me how polarizing that continues to be.

That is the one indeed.

My main issue is that I get hit a lot by fat boo, draining shitloads of energy. I am also not too good in launching him in front of the train. I think I managed to shoot in one little boo in a compartment.... however I did know you could darklight a load of them, so that sounds like an awesome tip

Niraj

That is the one indeed.

My main issue is that I get hit a lot by fat boo, draining shitloads of energy. I am also not too good in launching him in front of the train. I think I managed to shoot in one little boo in a compartment.... however I did know you could darklight a load of them, so that sounds like an awesome tip

For the
big Boo
just make sure you keep moving around. You can actually get him to
hit the front of the train with his ram attack, which can save a lot of time. Other tip for when it's split apart is to move out of the way when you see the blue glow :)

Chuckie

For the
big Boo
just make sure you keep moving around. You can actually get him to
hit the front of the train with his ram attack, which can save a lot of time. Other tip for when it's split apart is to move out of the way when you see the blue glow :)

Thanks man! That worked. Bronze medal ofcourse but still haha :p

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Just completed the entire first mansion without a guide. Basically used the 'time trial' mission to hunt down the remaining gems. I can't believe the one I missed for the longest time
in the grandfather clock
as it was so obvious. I've only played the first mission in the second mansion, but man, I can't wait to see the rest of this game.

I just beat the game. I totally did not play this because I was playing nothing but Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for a month, but I finally did it. I didn't think the game was anything special at first, but it really started growing on me once I got to the second Mansion.

I just didn't really like the controls at first. I wished I could just play it with a GC controller. The controls work, though, and they're fine after some getting used to.

I also wanted the game to be more open-ended, like the GameCube game. It doesn't really make a big difference in the end, but I think I would have liked the game better without having to go back to see E Gadd all the time. There's just this feeling of not being sure if I should be checking things I checked in the previous mission again in the new mission.

I thought the game really started getting good when you started doing puzzles that had you manipulating things in the environment more. Making things spin with the vacuum and lighting things on fire and carrying them around was really fun.

Most of the boss battles were fun too. I thought the shooting one was kind of out of place, because it's the vehicle battle that doesn't have anything to do with your character's skills that you use throughout the game, but the rest of them were pretty good and the last few ones were challenging enough. The game wasn't hard, but it provided just enough challenge to be fun.

Adamator

I'm rebuilding my friend list. Add me if you like. I'm in the SF Bay Area.

FC- 4441-8318-5739

Please add me to the sheet as well.

Tuck

Just beat the game. Great final boss battle and ending. Luigi being so flattered by Mario being impressed with him was a really nice touch. What a charming game.

A few of the mansions felt small (1,3 and 4 felt smaller than they should have- 2 and 5 were a good size), and the possessors being reused for every boss fight was a bit lame, and a lack of room specific ghosts besides the 3 sisters was disappointing. But beyond that. I loved the game. Probably beats out Fire Emblem for my second favorite game on the 3DS (After 3D Land).

EDIT: Didn't really mind the mission based structure. Could probably take it or leave it. I guess in the original game you need to figure out where to go, whereas here most of the time it is E-Gadd telling you, which dampens the exploration a bit. But I didn't mind it. Broke the game up into nice little chunks.

DaBoss

Just wanted to say, if you guys want to get rid of your Luigi hats from your avatars, you're welcome to...Until Mario & Luigi: Dream Team (Bros.).

Just beat the game. Great final boss battle and ending. Luigi
being so flattered by Mario being impressed with him
was a really nice touch. What a charming game.

A few of the mansions felt small (1,3 and 4 felt smaller than they should have- 2 and 5 were a good size), and the possessors being reused for every boss fight was a bit lame, and a lack of room specific ghosts besides the 3 sisters was disappointing. But beyond that. I loved the game. Probably beats out Fire Emblem for my second favorite game on the 3DS (After 3D Land).

EDIT: Didn't really mind the mission based structure. Could probably take it or leave it. I guess in the original game you need to figure out where to go, whereas here most of the time it is E-Gadd telling you, which dampens the exploration a bit. But I didn't mind it. Broke the game up into nice little chunks.

Should really spoiler that. :p

daxgame

So uh, unfortunately I almost regret buying this. I basically bought it on launch hype-gameplay trailers, while not digging much into the game.

But there are two things that were game-breaking to me: first, the way the game is structured, yes the missions stuff. I just hate it, the main reason why I loved the first was the freedom and development of the story. I find it really bland and boring this way, sorry.

I've read here and there that the reason for this could be the fact that the game is portable, but it doesn't make any sense. All they needed was to make you able to save everywhere.

Which is the 2nd point. I was shocked the first time, I played one of the first missions for half an hour but then had to turn off the 3DS. And I couldn't find any options to save, so in the end I assumed there was some kind of automatic save. And well, there wasn't. This is basically the reason as to why I can't even bring myself to finish it. For some mission it took over 30 mins to me finish them and, guess what, I play my 3DS basically only when I get off to go to work (or come back home). So it's a big issue for me.

Want to hear why I still don't regret buying it? My girlfriend loves it, lol. Except she can't beat the mansion bosses, but she did the rest by herself.

So far, Fire Emblem is instead my GOTY.

Chuckie

I finished it!

Loved it. It was just too bad that the Secret Mine was so damn short :( It looked awesome, so I was really disappointed when it was over after 3 levels.

Still missing 1 boo and a couple of gems. I won't go for Gold I think, because I can't even get it on A2 :p

StAidan

I'm getting close to the end (just finished E-3 this morning), and I've got to say, if there's anything about this game that really gets my goat, it's those missions where you really can't be certain what triggers the end of the mission.

Sometimes it's obvious, like when you're hunting a ghost that's holding an item you want. When the item drops, you can avoid picking it up and go finish your exploration. But sometimes it's ridiculously out of left field, like
E-3's "peek into this glass-enclosed dome"
and Gadd just teleports you right out with no warning. Then you have to play through the mission again to make sure you didn't miss anything.

OK, done venting for now.

Socreges

Banned
I'm getting close to the end (just finished E-3 this morning), and I've got to say, if there's anything about this game that really gets my goat, it's those missions where you really can't be certain what triggers the end of the mission.

Sometimes it's obvious, like when you're hunting a ghost that's holding an item you want. When the item drops, you can avoid picking it up and go finish your exploration. But sometimes it's ridiculously out of left field, like
E-3's "peek into this glass-enclosed dome"
and Gadd just teleports you right out with no warning. Then you have to play through the mission again to make sure you didn't miss anything.

OK, done venting for now.
Agreed. Pretty annoying at times.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Are the gems mostly in order? ie; I'm missing the second to last gem in the second mansion, so it should probably be in one of the later rooms that opened up, correct? Trying to clear the gems without any guides. First mansion was pretty simple, second one.. only this gems eludes me for now.

Niraj

Are the gems mostly in order? ie; I'm missing the second to last gem in the second mansion, so it should probably be in one of the later rooms that opened up, correct? Trying to clear the gems without any guides. First mansion was pretty simple, second one.. only this gems eludes me for now.

Yes, that's generally the case. The later the gem, the later the mission. You can usually narrow it down fairly well.

Top Bottom