• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon |OT| Take ghost-busting to the Next Level

i got the game last night and will i be missing out if i play with 3D off? My eyes get annoyed with the ever so slight movement and loss of 3D effect.

Also all i can think of while i was playing is "Why can't this game be on Wii U?"

This game should be released on Wii U (E-Shop?)

Mudron

i got the game last night and will i be missing out if i play with 3D off? My eyes get annoyed with the ever so slight movement and loss of 3D effect.

Also all i can think of while i was playing is "Why can't this game be on Wii U?"

This game should be released on Wii U (E-Shop?)

After a while, the only time I turned on the 3D was during a fight with a whole bunch of ghosts in an enclosed space or during a boss battle (when being able to pinpoint where an enemy or projectile is in 3D space can be a real life-saver - literally), otherwise I shut the 3D off, especially when the game requires you to use the gyroscopic controls to cross a balance beam or aim the flashlight up & down in a pinch.

I like the basic gist of the game, but I'm chalking this up as another 3D game that could've really used a second thumbstick for aiming (rather than relying on face buttons or 3D-disrupting motion control).

Alex

This game was so darn good, huge upgrade to the original. There will never be enough puzzle-adventuers in this world.

Katzii

So while every time I play this game, I cannot help but realise how intuitive it is in terms of gameplay, and how much I enjoy it... I also have this issue whereby I can't play it for very long, and usually switch off after a mission.

Anyone else finding this?

I like the basic gist of the game, but I'm chalking this up as another 3D game that could've really used a second thumbstick for aiming (rather than relying on face buttons or 3D-disrupting motion control).

I definitely think the controls are slightly compromised and would be better with one stick for movement and another for the torch.
With regard to the 3d, I think this is one of the games that benefits most from it. It looks great. Aliasing is definitely more noticeable for me with 3d on though but I generally only notice it when I first flick 3d on and then stop noticing it after a few mins.

Overall, great game though - would love some additional DLC mansions - is this something they could easily do? I reckon they'd sell very well....

So while every time I play this game, I cannot help but realise how intuitive it is in terms of gameplay, and how much I enjoy it... I also have this issue whereby I can't play it for very long, and usually switch off after a mission.

That's what I normally did when playing. Probably because it's a portable game.

DaBoss

I definitely think the controls are slightly compromised and would be better with one stick for movement and another for the torch.
With regard to the 3d, I think this is one of the games that benefits most from it. It looks great. Aliasing is definitely more noticeable for me with 3d on though but I generally only notice it when I first flick 3d on and then stop noticing it after a few mins.

Overall, great game though - would love some additional DLC mansions - is this something they could easily do? I reckon they'd sell very well....

They could potentially patch it in.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Today's Brawl in the Family is Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon themed:

2013-04-23-481-Luigi%27sTreasure.jpg

Got a chuckle out of me.

I only had about 10 minutes to play last night but wow the graphics are really good. I can't wait to put in some time.

The guy at BestBuy said "what is with this game I've sold 7 of them today" I explained he was the only place withing 100 miles that had a copies.

selling pretty well then?

DaBoss

lol @ the comic.

I only had about 10 minutes to play last night but wow the graphics are really good. I can't wait to put in some time.

The guy at BestBuy said "what is with this game I've sold 7 of them today" I explained he was the only place withing 100 miles that had a copies.

selling pretty well then?

Yup, it debuted at number 6 in NPD and seems to have exceeded expectations.

TheMink

Bought this game loooooving it. Its amazing. Controlls really grew on me.

But as im playing i notice like a hundred super minor things that bother me as im playing.
Ill go ahead and rattel them off:

Stop calling me Egad

If your not going to give the option to ignore a call why force me to phisically answer it??

Blowing out with the vacume (the most useless utility) is assigned to the second most useful button on the 3DS. Why cant my light be there?
Maybe i get another ability which takes advantage of blowing like in the original though so im holding out. (Insert sexual innuendo here)

Stop calling me Egad

We get Luigi you're scared. Do ya have to scream your ass off and stand there like an idiot for everything that pops out?(Stupidest one was the mouse at the beginning)

Really Egad, the door is locked and i cant go through it? No shit!!! Stop calling me!!!

When bats come out of nowhere i get hit 100% of the time.

Now i know most of the stuff is cinematic and he will call less later but, he will always call you on replays of levels. I know i can skip them but still.

Quick question, im confused the criteria for finding a Boo in a level. Was it in one of the phone calls i skipped :p
(Kidding i read them all the first time)

Also, what do the bones do? Am i supposed to get more than one in a level?

The missions are pretty long to begin with. The game would definitely benefit from save points.

Niraj

Quick question, im confused the criteria for finding a Boo in a level. Was it in one of the phone calls i skipped :p
(Kidding i read them all the first time)

Basically there's one in the levels that don't have bosses. They can be anywhere that you can access on a mission (usually during the course of completing the mission you'll find them, other times you might have to go out of your way), you have to use the darklight to find them. Usually it's an object that was there on a previous mission and is no longer there. Use the darklight to reveal it, suck up the spirit ball things that pop up and the Boo will come out.

TheMink

Basically there's one in the levels that don't have bosses. They can be anywhere that you can access on a mission (usually during the course of completing the mission you'll find them, other times you might have to go out of your way), you have to use the darklight to find them. Usually it's an object that was there on a previous mission and is no longer there. Use the darklight to reveal it, suck up the spirit ball things that pop up and the Boo will come out.

Aaah got it

M3d10n

After a while, the only time I turned on the 3D was during a fight with a whole bunch of ghosts in an enclosed space or during a boss battle (when being able to pinpoint where an enemy or projectile is in 3D space can be a real life-saver - literally), otherwise I shut the 3D off, especially when the game requires you to use the gyroscopic controls to cross a balance beam or aim the flashlight up & down in a pinch.

Gyroscope is optional, not required. Even for the beams.

This has been the one thing that really frustrates me. I understand how games work, there's no need to call me every two seconds to tell me the most basic things.

I don't get this complaint. At all. People made such a fuss about it I was expecting modern Zelda-levels of hand-hold. Alas, after you retrieve your gear Egad only ever calls to advance plot or when you complete major mission objectives. I don't recall he ever spoiling a puzzle, because one of the things I'm liking the most about LM2 is the amount of discoveries left to the player when compared to almost every other non-Minecraft-inspired game I've played in the past years.

He only says "objective is in that room" or "goddamn ghost/dog/whatever stole what we need, go after them" or basic control explaining in the first two missions. Even in the first mission, he never told me to
suck the cloth above the chest in the garage to find the key, or to suck/blow the junk to clear the door, or to suck the fake door curtain
and I was left to discover those on my own.

Glad this game is receiving the attention it deserves, I can't get enough of it.

Still haven't put much time into the multiplayer, but what I have played has been great.

Katzii

Boss Battle in Mission D.

Almost made me quit the game altogether.

Thankfully managed to beat it after half a dozen tries but it's kind of soured me on the game.

I don't get this complaint. At all. People made such a fuss about it I was expecting modern Zelda-levels of hand-hold. Alas, after you retrieve your gear Egad only ever calls to advance plot or when you complete major mission objectives. I don't recall he ever spoiling a puzzle, because one of the things I'm liking the most about LM2 is the amount of discoveries left to the player when compared to almost every other non-Minecraft-inspired game I've played in the past years.

He only says "objective is in that room" or "goddamn ghost/dog/whatever stole what we need, go after them" or basic control explaining in the first two missions. Even in the first mission, he never told me to
suck the cloth above the chest in the garage to find the key, or to suck/blow the junk to clear the door, or to suck the fake door curtain
and I was left to discover those on my own.

I agree. I don't think that Egad is bad at all. I don't know what people are talking about. Maybe he's interrupted 2 times too many, and I just finished the third Mansion.

dankir

Man the game is awesome so far, but what the fuck happened to the boss design? 1st was amazing, 2nd was cute and then they just ran out of ideas for the 3rd?

Is the final boss interesting in any way whatsoever?

blamite

Bought this yesterday, I'm about 4 missions in (I just finished the one where
you first get the Darklight
.) and I'm loving it way more than I expected! One of the first things I noticed was ho good the animation is, Luigi's reactions when E. Gadd is talking especially are pretty great. Music is great too super catch and the way they're mixed in differently at different times is really cool.

So far I've had the most trouble with the blue ghosts; I usually end up being able to stun them right as they throw something, but then Luigi gets hit before I have time to start vacuuming. Pretty annoying! I'm sure I'll figure it out though.

The gamestop I bought the game from apparently only got two copies in their latest shipment. I knew Nintendo aren't sending out many copies but that as way more ridiculous than I expected. Really trying to inflate digital numbers, I guess?

Epic Drop

My wife and I did alot of shopping last weekend... I made it a point to stop at every store that may have this game while we were out. Two best buys, 3 game stops, 1 walmart, 1 target, and none of them had it! What is going on with the availability of this game???

Overall thoughts on the game: Single player is pretty good, but not all that great. Some of the missions really take too long, especially if you get stuck in a section and don't know what to do. 5th mansion boss was great, but really hated the final boss format. I might return to the game in the near future just
to catch all the Boos in one particular mansion to experience one of the secret missions
. As for the multiplayer, only done two local games at separate 3DS event which went well. Online....some people really have no business playing this online. Can't even tell you how many times I would get frustrated at the amount of stupid shit I keep seeing.

I'm on the second mansion and I have a question:

EDIT: nevermind, I got it

When you start to climb
you can look way up and the stairs all the way up will have one torch missing. You'll have to keep memorizing the pattern best you can, because it goes off after a few seconds

Yeah, I noticed that on the last 5 stairs, lol. Almost completely brute-forced the damn thing.

Also, is there a point to
capturing all the Boos? All I got was an optional time trial, but no reward or anything

How do I know what set of stairs to pick on the large triple staircase with the torches? I noticed that sometimes torches are blue/out, but so far I haven't been able to tell the pattern.

When you start to climb
you can look way up and the stairs all the way up will have one torch missing. You'll have to keep memorizing the pattern best you can, because it goes off after a few seconds

Niraj

EDIT: nevermind, I got it

Yeah, I noticed that on the last 5 stairs, lol. Almost completely brute-forced the damn thing.

Also, is there a point to
capturing all the Boos? All I got was an optional time trial, but no reward or anything

Not directly. Unlocking the extra mission just gives you an extra mission to rank in, and when you get 3 stars in everything you get a medal next to your name in multiplayer. Boos are also part of another medal which constitutes completing the vault (so collecting one of each ghost, all the gems, all the Boos). Nothing spectacular.

Who in the hell thought balancing Luigi as he crosses narrow beams was a good idea? The game is great and I'm enjoying it a lot, but for the love of God, those parts suck so much ass.

heyf00L

Finished (beat boss) yesterday. I mostly loved it, but it bothers me that
there are only 4 main ghosts: green, red, blue, and purple. There are 2 or 3 fat yellow ones plus the dog, but that's it. It definitely could have used more miniboss ghosts.

Still a great game though.

I just started this last night and oh man, I love the little details that just make the game even better. It's awesome that that the "Dual Scream" is the og phat DS, so good.

FryHole

Finished (beat boss) yesterday. I mostly loved it, but it bothers me that
there are only 4 main ghosts: green, red, blue, and purple. There are 2 or 3 fat yellow ones plus the dog, but that's it. It definitely could have used more miniboss ghosts.

Still a great game though.

Yeah I felt the same - after encountering
the sisters in the second mansion
I was expecting a similar thing in subsequent mansions, but we just got
strong versions of existing ghosts

As you say, still an amazing game. I would be all over dlc like new missions or even mansions.

I just started playing this game. I'm on the fourth level of the first mansion. I'm trying to get to the dining room and the only way there is the door on the right side of the balcony in the library. However, there is a spider web blocking the way.

Can someone give me a hint on how to get into the dining room please?

When I'm on the first floor in the library, I can aim up and shine the dark light on the picture of the flame but there doesn't seem to be anything else I can do with it.

Help please.

Niraj

I just started playing this game. I'm on the fourth level of the first mansion. I'm trying to get to the dining room and the only way there is the door on the right side of the balcony in the library. However, there is a spider web blocking the way.

When I'm on the first floor in the library, I can aim up and shine the dark light on the picture of the flame but there doesn't seem to be anything else I can do with it.

Help please.

Might not be remembering right, but isn't there a dumbwaiter that goes between that room and the kitchen? Can you get to the kitchen?

DaBoss

Help please.

Explore the first floor further. If you want something more precise than that, look at this spoiler:
Look at the area next to the Library Entrance.

Whoever designed that spider boss fight is a fucking asshole. I can't NOT get hit by either a red spider or purple blob when I'm walking backwards, no matter how hard I try-and then you put obstacles in my way?

FUCK YOU

ill never get 3 stars on it.

Top Bottom