• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon |OT| Take ghost-busting to the Next Level

ElRenoRaven

So due to having gotten really busy at work I haven't had time to finish the game. Today I finally got some time to play and finally finished the Secret Mine mansion. Dear god I totally agree. That is the worst boss ever in both games.

That got REALLY tense for me. I didn't know there was a time limit for the first couple rooms which made the last few a dead sprint. Ended up finishing it with less than a second left.
Yeah, I had the same thing. Had no idea there was a time limit, so I was taking things nice and slow to make sure I explore the entire place thoroughly.

ElRenoRaven

It's a really weird review. It goes on and on about how charming it is... en then suddenly on the end she complains there are no checkpoints and the boss of world 3 is too hard.

6,5!

Da fuq

So it's a normal review. They all suck anymore. They always go on and on about how great something is and then go -99.9 or they go on and on about how something sucks and then go 99.9. It usually depends on how much advertising money they get. Hence the big "AAA" rehashes always get super high scores while games that don't do a lot of advertising don't do so well.

All they're good for anymore is getting a general idea of the gameplay. Nothing else ever good comes from a review.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It's a really weird review. It goes on and on about how charming it is... en then suddenly on the end she complains there are no checkpoints and the boss of world 3 is too hard.

6,5!

Da fuq

So it's a normal review. They all suck anymore. They always go on and on about how great something is and then go -99.9 or they go on and on about how something sucks and then go 99.9. It usually depends on how much advertising money they get. Hence the big "AAA" rehashes always get super high scores while games that don't do a lot of advertising don't do so well.

All they're good for anymore is getting a general idea of the gameplay. Nothing else ever good comes from a review.

Despite the claims of some reviewers when called on it, always look at what people do, not what they say. And these days reviewers seem most happy when playing a meticulously massaged linear Uncharted-esque game with a checkpoint every 30 seconds.

I think the nature of video games works against the typical structure of media reviews. Most games are longer than a 2 hour film or a 90 minute album. You can't really cram a game and truly enjoy it from the perspective of a normal player. When we buy a game we're wanting something we can relax with and be absorbed by for a while. The problem Gamespot had with Luigi makes me think as time goes by most reviewers are going to be less and less impressed by traditional Nintendo-esque games and anything else that, well, isn't a linear corridor with no real challenge.

So yeah, anymore I never open a review unless it's a game that slipped under my radar and I knew little about before it was released.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
What is GAF's general opinion of this game from those who have played it?

I loved it personally. Haven't gone back to three star everything or get all the multi ghosts, but I think I got around 30-40 hours combined single and multi. I just think it's a really fun, well-crafted game. Multi could be more involved I suppose, and the bosses could've been better quality, but it's definitely one of my favorite games for the system.

Mistle

I just did the third mansions boss. Is that the one that everyone complains about? If so, I really don't see the big deal. Was no hassle at all.

Just completed the first mansion. The Dual Scream ringtone is amazing!
Yeah! It's my actual phone ringtone atm, haha

If you loved the original you'll love this. If you hated the original you'll hate this.
I don't know.. They're pretty different if you ask me. I love LM2 but for completely different reasons compared to the original. Each game does it's own things better... if that makes sense.

Niraj

I just did the third mansions boss. Is that the one that everyone complains about? If so, I really don't see the big deal. Was no hassle at all.

Fourth one is the one a lot of people complain about. So you're almost there :p

breakfuss

Despite the claims of some reviewers when called on it, always look at what people do, not what they say. And these days reviewers seem most happy when playing a meticulously massaged linear Uncharted-esque game with a checkpoint every 30 seconds.

I think the nature of video games works against the typical structure of media reviews. Most games are longer than a 2 hour film or a 90 minute album. You can't really cram a game and truly enjoy it from the perspective of a normal player. When we buy a game we're wanting something we can relax with and be absorbed by for a while. The problem Gamespot had with Luigi makes me think as time goes by most reviewers are going to be less and less impressed by traditional Nintendo-esque games and anything else that, well, isn't a linear corridor with no real challenge.

So yeah, anymore I never open a review unless it's a game that slipped under my radar and I knew little about before it was released.

If there was ever a reason to dislike professional reviews (as most seem to around here), you have articulated it in the most cogent and convincing way. All the "so & so publication took da moniez from x,y, z" is useless conjecture. Thank you.

4th Mansion. WHAT THE FUCK has happened to the difficulty? It's suddenly spiked and the lack of any kind of checkpoint or mid-mission saving is proving to be a massive issue.

I've got to get to the
Gondola Station, and ooh what a surprise, it's a another fetch quest to open a door! Locked by three ghosts, I am trying to take out the big yellow one with the chains wrapped around him. He's killed me five times now, I just can't seem to make any progress with him. He either pukes up on you or stomps you.

The game is fiddly at the best of times, adding in very challenging fights doesn't help :(

Niraj

4th Mansion. WHAT THE FUCK has happened to the difficulty? It's suddenly spiked and the lack of any kind of checkpoint or mid-mission saving is proving to be a massive issue.

I've got to get to the
Gondola Station, and ooh what a surprise, it's a another fetch quest to open a door! Locked by three ghosts, I am trying to take out the big yellow one with the chains wrapped around him. He's killed me five times now, I just can't seem to make any progress with him. He either pukes up on you or stomps you.

The game is fiddly at the best of times, adding in very challenging fights doesn't help :(

That one is in a bit of a cramped room right? Just keep moving slowly from left to right while you're vacuuming him. Don't necessarily charge it up all the way, since you can usually interrupt the attacks with A. I'd just keep vacuuming til he looks like he's going to attack and press A to interrupt. You might slip once or twice but you'll make it.

braves01

Banned

I've got to get to the

First, try to relax as difficult as that may be when you're frustrated. Next time you face the yellow guy wait to suck him up until right after he spits goo. This will give you the most time to whittle away his health. Try to have a little space between you when you begin sucking, so you can press B to dodge a couple of his spit attacks. When you get too close to him, don't be afraid to break off in order to get away from him and regroup.

Cheers :) I think I am going to give the game a break for a short while, I've played it for a couple of hours today so I'll end up getting into the habit of playing badly.

Do you ever get to have more than 100 health? I am guessing No, as all upgrades so far have been for the vac.

Niraj

Cheers :) I think I am going to give the game a break for a short while, I've played it for a couple of hours today so I'll end up getting into the habit of playing badly.

Do you ever get to have more than 100 health? I am guessing No, as all upgrades so far have been for the vac.

Nope, that's it!

Niraj

Managed it.

Oh, Mansion 4 is
just three missions. So, is this boss a bastard then?

I think it's the most divisive boss around here. You either have people that thought it was cake or people that want to stop playing because of it. Personally I'm part of the former, but there are quite a bit of the latter.

I see. Well, that's me for today, I looked on Activity Log and I'd spent just shy of four hours on the game this afternoon, so it's definitely time for a break.

Will try and finish it tomorrow or early next week me thinks. Cheers for the advice everyone :)

Mistle

I wish there were more upgrades. I maxed out mid-way through the third mansion, and now the desire to collect every coin isn't as strong.

Went back and cleared up Mansion 4's boss. Considering how much trouble I had with the yellow bastard puking chain dude I thought I'd really have trouble after reading so much here.
However, it was all fine! Died twice working out what to do, but once I got the timing down it was actually a very easy fight. So far, the hardest boss has been the first one!

Salsa

Hey I havent posted here at all. Barely finishing the first mansion but having a ton of fun exploring every nook and cranny. My FC's out there in the GAF FC thread if anyone wants to do MP (seemed like fun).

Been playing with 3D on full blast but that extra AA + framerate when off sure is tempting, might switch to that when I backtrack

IrishNinja

^yeah i was playing with 3D on before, but AA is nice

@ the cleanup the spider webs mission...@#$% luigi just cross this plank in a straight line, man! doesnt matter if i hold left or right, he still falls off =/

Salsa

^yeah i was playing with 3D on before, but AA is nice

@ the cleanup the spider webs mission...@#$% luigi just cross this plank in a straight line, man! doesnt matter if i hold left or right, he still falls off =/

the gyroscope seems to be super sensitive, just barely move it

Tiktaalik

Holy crap I went from 100 health to 15 after falling off the rope over like 10 times in the airway area of world 4 level 1. Barely squeaked by without getting a game over. Difficulty dramatically ramped up here!

The balancing stuff is such a load of shit, I can't believe it got though into the final game. The gyro is far too sensitive, there is virtually no room for error. Couple it with the lack of checkpoints and it can cause great frustration. Personally, I think the game is too hard for its own good. The first boss was a crazy spike, and the sheer amount of enemies that get thrown at you in some areas is pretty tough, I can't imagine many people completing the game.

DaBoss

So I finally stopped slacking on this game now that MH has lost its grip on me and just got to E-2. 4th boss wasn't as hard as some people made it out to be.
Hitting the middle parts with the bombs was probably the only difficult part in that fight.

]blacky[;58116144 said:
Do we have allready a thread for Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros.? This game looks amazing!

Well there will be an OT 7 days before the game comes out.

Cross-Post Incoming!

I just got back from Europe last night night, and I need a 3DS game to tide me over until my beloved Animal Crossing sweeps me off my feet and makes me feel pretty again. The problem is that there are two seemingly fantastic titles to choose from... Luigi's Mansion and Fire Emblem. I know I'll love both games, but I'm having a heck of a time deciding which one I should get now, and which I should put off until later on into the summer draught.

I'm sure Luigi's Mansion is shorter, meaning I could probably beat it before June 9th. The multiplayer seems like decent fun too.

Fire Emblem seems like the better game, if only slightly, and will probably keep me more focused and engaged than Luigi's Mansion. If I beat Luigi's Mansion too quickly, I'll still be driving myself mad with the wait for AC. But I don't want AC to come out before I'm able to run through the story mode of Fire Emblem!

As you can see, my life is super difficult at the moment.

Thoughts? How long is each respective title, and how much replay value do they contain?

Thanks Ninten-GAF!

Niraj

Cross-Post Incoming!

I just got back from Europe last night night, and I need a 3DS game to tide me over until my beloved Animal Crossing sweeps me off my feet and makes me feel pretty again. The problem is that there are two seemingly fantastic titles to choose from... Luigi's Mansion and Fire Emblem. I know I'll love both games, but I'm having a heck of a time deciding which one I should get now, and which I should put off until later on into the summer draught.

I'm sure Luigi's Mansion is shorter, meaning I could probably beat it before June 9th. The multiplayer seems like decent fun too.

Fire Emblem seems like the better game, if only slightly, and will probably keep me more focused and engaged than Luigi's Mansion. If I beat Luigi's Mansion too quickly, I'll still be driving myself mad with the wait for AC. But I don't want AC to come out before I'm able to run through the story mode of Fire Emblem!

As you can see, my life is super difficult at the moment.

Thoughts? How long is each respective title, and how much replay value do they contain?

Thanks Ninten-GAF!

Fire Emblem is waaaaaay longer than Luigi's Mansion is. If you're worried about sinking too much time into a game, I'd stick with this over Fire Emblem, but Fire Emblem is the better game imo. The longevity of both is kind of dependent on a few things. Luigi's Mansion it mostly depends on whether you see yourself playing a lot of multiplayer. You could easily finish the main game in something like 15-20 maybe, if not less. I think I have something like 40-50, the majority of which is multiplayer.

Fire Emblem is really dependent on how much you grind your character levels, support convos, if you buy DLC, etc. There's a shitload of stuff to do, and it can really eat up a lot of your time. I'm pretty sure it was the only game I played for about a month and I still wasn't sick of it. It's just really damn good.

I'd say if you're really worried about cutting into your AC time, stick with LM. It's a great game in its own right, and you likely wouldn't play it as long as FE. FE would be really awesome during a dry period since there's so much content, so it might be a better plan to save it for then. Just my two cents.

StAidan

Finished the game this morning. On the whole I'm quite satisfied with it. I thought the final boss was pretty cool too.

My gripes:
- The game wasn't all that challenging. I had one death on E-4 while I was trying to figure out what to do, and other than that the entire experience was a cakewalk.
- There sure were an awful lot of environment collision issues, stuff getting stuck and all that.
- The missions were often unclear about what action would trigger the end of the mission, so quite a few times E. Gadd would teleport me out before I was done exploring. Annoying.

My likes:
- The sound and animation were superb and contributed a lot to the enjoyability of the game.
- Each mission was interesting and satisfying, and most of the time wasn't overbearing about holding your hand.
- The gem hunts at least provided a bit of challenge, even if they weren't necessary to completing the game.
- I enjoyed most of the boss battles. Mansion 4's was stupid, but I have no complaints about the others.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I've just started this and just unlocked MP. I played through a tower with some randoms and, while I sucked (and blew! HA HA HA), it was a lot of fun!

I'm enjoying the game's relaxing pace so far and I've got to admit I'm starting to find Luigi pretty darned endearing. They did a great job with him in this. I really like how it isn't particularly stressful or difficult so far, and I hope it stays that way. I love "spooky" atmosphere and Ghostbusters is one of my favorite flicks EVER so this is a combination of tons of my favorite shit.

Yuterald

Hey, Niraj, sorry I haven't followed up with you on the multiplayer stuff. I think I just felt too burned out on the game to check out the multiplayer. I thought I wanted to powerhouse the towers and capture those multiplayer ghosts, but I can't get myself to boot the game up, lol! I'm sure at some point I'll feel like jumping back in, but I think for now I'm going to shelf the game for a bit. =D

Niraj

Hey, Niraj, sorry I haven't followed up with you on the multiplayer stuff. I think I just felt too burned out on the game to check out the multiplayer. I thought I wanted to powerhouse the towers and capture those multiplayer ghosts, but I can't get myself to boot the game up, lol! I'm sure at some point I'll feel like jumping back in, but I think for now I'm going to shelf the game for a bit. =D

lol all good man. I haven't played in awhile to be honest, been playing Monaco and some other stuff. You ever decide you want to jump back in just pm me. I'm down whenever.

What are they for? I finished the game but never figured it out.

If you die when you have a golden bone, the ghostly dog comes and revives you with full health. Mansion 4 spoiler - I died at
the large yellow ghost with chains in the small room with the icy floor.

Finished this the other night. Just great.

I've not found all Boos, but I'll happily go back to get them. Is it worth doing so?

But I'm not going to try to 3-star or even 2-star each level.

Niraj

Finished this the other night. Just great.

I've not found all Boos, but I'll happily go back to get them. Is it worth doing so?

But I'm not going to try to 3-star or even 2-star each level.

Minor, minor spoilers:
getting all the Boos will unlock an extra level in each mansion. If you get all the Boos, gems, Scarescraper ghosts, etc, you get a little medal next to your name (same as the one you get for finishing the game, there's three)

The game is so fucking shit, died after an hour mission, back to the start. FUCK YOU Nintendo. I can't believe they went with zero checkpoints or saving, it's totally unfair. Died after the game does the cheating move where you're fighting an end of level ghost and all you get is constant attacks from other enemies. The game makes me so frigging angry. Thank fuck this is the last mansion.

Top Bottom