• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lunar Remastered Collection coming Spring 2025

graywolf323

haven’t seen any news articles elsewhere but I’d expect this isn’t PlayStation exclusive; edit: sure enough this is the case as noted in the tweet below

this is the first release Lunar 2 has seen since the PS1

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
For those that have played those games... how does the remaster compared to the SEGA CD version of those games?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
If they do a good job with the port, I'm 100% in... but it's rare these things are actually made with quality in mind. They've got to start with the Saturn versions as a base, at the very least.

StueyDuck

These are definitely JRPGs from the PS1 era which again i missed out on.

Is this good news? are these great games or just good?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Was this game from the sega saturn?
Did it release in europe?

Initially released on the Sega Saturn in 1996, the game has gone through several variations, beginning with enhanced video support in conjunction with the Saturn's MPEG graphics add-on in 1997, and later being ported to Sony's PlayStation in 1998.

Ah 😇

Last edited:

graywolf323

Why's it got a warning for "partial nudity"?
might mean they’re keeping the bromides in the game?

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
No mention of a PC release?
edit-Yes there is!

I've got the original Lunar 1 and 2 for Sega CD. It's been decades since I played them.
This was a nice surprise.

Last edited:

BlakeofT

I never really played these but the nostalgia is super high. I used to watch my oldest brother play on PS1 all the time. Day 1 for me.

Pejo

Man it's been YEARS since I played a Lunar game. Barely remember the stories. Doesn't look like they changed too much for this version, but native widescreen is always appreciated when it's not half-assed.

I will likely pick this up for the right price if it comes to PC.

graywolf323

I wish this collection would include Lunar: Walking School but I doubt we’ll be that lucky, honestly I’m just glad they’re including Eternal Blue

And then subsequently got remade for PSP
only the first game, Silver Star Story did

Eternal Blue hasn’t had a release since the PS1 (aside from a PSN release of a PS1 Classic version only in Japan for the PS3/Vita)

Last edited:

Paltheos

A quick rundown for anyone who cares about this who doesn't know already. The Lunar series are from the fine folk at GameArts who also brought us the Grandia games, if you like those. Lunar's game systems aren't as sophisticated as Grandia's, but the tradeoff is a much more traditionally fantastic world. Lunar is a story about heroes vs. villains, and it's very happy about it.

Was this game from the sega saturn?
SEGA CD game, remastered for the Saturn and that remaster then got ported to the PSX.

That's not quite accurate. The PSX versions are full remakes from the original Sega CD games, with notable story differences that some megafans fight to the death over. The original Lunar (and not Lunar 2) was then remade again for the PSP, although afaik that version is much more similar to the PSX version.

The general consensus (again, afaik) is 'not the Sega CD versions'. All versions except the PSP Lunar 1 are subject to Working Designs localization, for better and for worse.

It... seems like this remaster is retranslating and revoicing the games too. Interesting.

Edit: Where's Vanguard Bandits Remastered, you cowards!?

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I played Lunar 1 on iPad a few years ago.
Gameplay-wise, it’s an old-school grindfest with a story as classic as they get. What really makes it stand out is GameArts’s whacky localization, so start praying every deity you acknowledge that it’s still there and it hasn’t been touched to make it fit for “modern audiences”.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Just as long as they are not the psp / mobile versions .

Gameplay-wise, it’s an old-school grindfest with a story as classic as they get. What really makes it stand out is GameArts’s whacky localization, so start praying every deity you acknowledge that it’s still there and it hasn’t been touched to make it fit for “modern audiences”.

The mobile versions are cut down crap from the original.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Silver Star is fucking amazing. One of my fav JRPGs ever.

Day fucking one!

DJ6JYe3.jpeg

graywolf323

Just as long as they are not the psp / mobile versions .

the copyright at the end of the trailer was GungHo Online Entertainment who did the Grandia remasters, the mobile version of Lunar is from SoMoGa Inc. and I don’t see them mentioned anywhere

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Really? What was cut? Apart from having to use touch controls, the game didn’t feel like it was missing stuff. Looked and sounded like what I’ve always seen the PS1 version to look and sound. The songs were there, the dub was there.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member

G2ttPgu.jpeg

Wrong version homie. It’s either Sega CD or PS1 or none at all.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Seeing how much people seem to love those games I think I should put those higher on the backlog.

Also, seeing a kinda niche JRPG as Lunar get a remaster made me think of a possible Lufia collection. That would be the tits too.

graywolf323

Xbox is a bit of surprise, I’ll be getting it on PSN + Steam for the trophies and to have on the go with my Deck ☺️

Look, I just checked online. According to the info I can find, the Touch version IS the PS1 game, with music and VA from the PSP version.
it was initially pretty rough as I recall but they did major work on it back in December 2022 and I’d have said the mobile version was the best version you could easily play now before this remaster announcement

Last edited:
Top Bottom