• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lunar Remastered Collection coming Spring 2025

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist

Make this edition.
How dare you.

I'm more talking about digital, not some hypothetical limited edition re-release.

But hey, if it comes to pass and you want it, pay for it .

Same with the crybabies whining about the PS5 Pro 's price.

What can I say?

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
Nothing

I'm even happy when OP tells me the news. 😃👍🏻

Be happy
Frustrated Here We Go GIF by Sesame Street

NahaNago

This is cool. I never did get around to playing/buying the lunar game on ps1 but kept thinking someday I'd get around to it so this is definitely a day one.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I would have preferred these to be the Sega CD versions. Still I will most certainly support the effort. Timeless masterpieces.
Those versions will never come back. This is the Lunar most people played and remember. The incredible original physical editions surely made an impression too, and the Lunar 1 remake has been ported and retold so many times it’s the definitive version for most people interested.

I read that the Sega CD versions were very hard, what with encounters on the world map and a generally higher difficulty. Is that true? The beginning of SSSC can be pretty tough when your party isn’t fully formed yet.

cireza

I read that the Sega CD versions were very hard, what with encounters on the world map and a generally higher difficulty. Is that true? The beginning of SSSC can be pretty tough when your party isn’t fully formed yet.
They are harder but the pacing is much faster. I don't remember having to grind, but at some point in Eternal Blue, when Hiro is alone, you can grind a bit and greatly lower the difficulty of the rest of the game. You will complete them faster than the remakes. I have the original Working Designs released on SEGA-CD and they are wonderful products.

They were also absolutely incredible products for the hardware, absolutely top quality and maximized everything you could do on SEGA-CD. On Saturn/PS1, they were nice 2D RPGs. But I largely prefer the SEGA-CD versions. The 16 bits pixel-art is masterful, soundtracks are fantastic, videos were coded for the hardware and look much better than the encoded anime of the re-releases. They were simply better RPGs to the core, while the re-releases are casualised a lot.

They also took liberties in the story, in the first Lunar, Luna is actually meant to leave you.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

If you are able - its worth playing thru the Sega CD games first - then these remakes to see all the changes.
Really cool these are re-releasing for modern consoles.
We're getting to a point where everything has a chance to be re-released.

Sethbacca

So if I've never played these, how do they compare to say SNES era Final Fantasy games? I like the classic anime styling in the trailer so I suspect this might be a winner for me at the right price.

grvg

haven’t seen any news articles elsewhere but I’d expect this isn’t PlayStation exclusive; edit: sure enough this is the case as noted in the tweet below

this is the first release Lunar 2 has seen since the PS1
Hell yes.

Would be great if the ip came back from the grave.

So if I've never played these, how do they compare to say SNES era Final Fantasy games? I like the classic anime styling in the trailer so I suspect this might be a winner for me at the right price.

I reckon it would be right up your alley. They are great games.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Did you get the map with SSSC and the amulet with Eternal Blue? Owning the complete box set is like owning one of the best games on PS1.
I only got the games themselves in the original jewel cases. I did get the extra making of/music discs too. None of the other extras or the big cardboard boxes. That was too pricey for me. I only wanted the games to replay.

I played the first way back in the day on PSX; back when Working Designs was really putting a ton of effort into making a nice collection. I remember quite enjoying it. Never played the sequel, so I'll be interested in picking this up.

SkylineRKR

If you've never played these games and crave a sprite based turn based RPG this is one of the best you can play. Good timeless visuals and the gameplay was already relatively fast.

Lunar 1 is very solid, but Lunar 2 is even better and just a perfect sequel.

As for the best versions, i think the Saturn versions were the best. But i only played them in Japanese and beat the ps1 ports. The difference in quality isn't anything like Grandia which was trash on PS1.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I just happened to be taking a drink of beer as this announcement came onto the screen, and nearly choked to death.

LUNAR!!! I still have my collector's editions for psx, and have Saturn copies as well. And I'm pretty sure Sega CD, though I don't see it on my shelf... Anyhoo, so hyped for this!

The raw pixels look is a bit annoying for an old fart like me because that is not how Lunar would've looked back in the early 90s/00s on a CRT television. It doesn't really bother me in games like Sea of Stars because they are modern games, designed to show raw pixels.

Hopefully, they add a CRT shader or I guess I'll just apply one with ReShade.

Also, WTF is up with the weird depth of field on the top and bottom of the screen? Very odd stylistic choice.

Lunar-Remastered-Collection-Eternal-Blue-Screenshot-032.webp

Last edited:

Gexxy1

FYI, there's a physical release being planned which might be handled by LRG given past partnership with them.

Did they get new voice actors for English?

Players can choose between classic and remastered modes, with the latter offering wide-screen support and high-definition animated cutscenes. Voiceovers are available in both Japanese and a newly recorded English option, enhancing battles with fully voiced attacks and incantations. Other updates include faster battle settings and additional strategy options, as well as French and German subtitle support.

Andyliini

Never played them (no surprise as Europe rarely got these games back then), but they look cool, so I'll give them a go.

Top Bottom