• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

M. Night Shymalan's New Sci-Film (Written By GARY WHITTA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xcellere

Twitter officially renamed to TWISTTER!

121464d1253673820-funny-strange-random-pics-badum-tish.jpg

Zoe Kravitz and Sophie Okonedo are joining. (THR)

zoe_kravitz_sophie_okonedo_a_l.jpg

M. Night Shyamalan is directing Columbia’s sci-fi action adventure, in which humans no longer live on Earth after it becomes inhospitable. The elder Smith is playing a hero, while Jaden is his son, considered a failure as a warrior. When the two crash-land on Earth, it is up to the son to save the dad.

If deals are made, Kravitz would play Smith’s daughter, while Okonedo will portray his wife.

Dany

Banned
I am constantly confusing this with the Tarantino movie for some reason.

Synopsis seems cool, though I am extremely pensive on Shyamalan directing another film, but I did love Okonedo in Rwanda.

Truant

M Night seems like the nicest guy ever on Twitter.

Weird that he's so aloof regarding his own films. I mean, Unbreakable is a masterpiece. Seriously one of my favorite movies. The Happening though, man. Maaaaaan.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face

Weird that he's so aloof regarding his own films. I mean, Unbreakable is a masterpiece. Seriously one of my favorite movies. The Happening though, man. Maaaaaan.

The Happening is a comedic masterpiece, what are you talking about?

Gattsu25

Banned

Yeah. The man has great film under his belt. Hopefully he finds his creative spark again, soon.

megamerican

All the "insider" stuff I've read on him paints him to be extremely arrogant. Like he threw a hissy fit because some studio head wouldn't end his vacation early to personally read Lady in the Water and took it to another studio.

But in every interview I've seen he comes off as really approachable and humble. Weird.

All the "insider" stuff I've read on him paints him to be extremely arrogant. Like he threw a hissy fit because some studio head wouldn't end his vacation early to personally read Lady in the Water and took it to another studio.

But in every interview I've seen he comes off as really approachable and humble. Weird.

I am sure all insider stories have two sides

He's just a nice guy, period. I can't say enough good things about my experience working with him; he is without a doubt one of the nicest, most gracious and smartest people I've worked with in this business.

He's just a nice guy, period. I can't say enough good things about my experience working with him; he is without a doubt one of the nicest, most gracious and smartest people I've worked with in this business.

Can you explain to me how such a smart guy made the atrocity known as Avatar?

mr. puppy

Banned

he can't afford to be a dick with the hole of a film career his dug himself into

Truant

Doesn't he use the same crew on all his films? Same producers and all. Weird that the quality gap is so mindblowingly huge.

Angry Fork

I like M. Night a lot and constantly defend him, to the point where I have to feel bad for him going on twitter/facebook. I don't know if he knows just how much rage and vitriol is on here. He must get hurled tons of pointless rage on twitter all the time from douchebags. I've seen interviews of him and he seems like a really nice down to earth guy, makes me feel bad that people constantly shit on him. If you don't like his movies don't watch it's not like he's Tyler Perry or something. Blame the marketers if they told you Lady in the Water was going to be a horror movie.

I haven't seen Avatar, maybe it really is bad I don't know. I didn't like The Happening as a whole but there are a couple scenes I enjoyed for their eerie nature.

I don't like to listen to the internet when it comes to him though. Almost everyone seems to hate Lady in the Water but I loved it. I remember liking The Village but I don't remember enough of it now to give a real opinion, Signs is awesome but I don't like the ending (everything from swing meryl and on, I don't have a problem with the water solution it's just the entire thing feels rushed, one minute everyone is scared shitless not knowing what's going to happen, the next minute the last alien is dead movie over) Sixth Sense is great and his best still. Unbreakable is my favorite of his though.

I love the way he directs certain shit like what he puts on screen is the exact kind of shit I get creeped out by. The scene where some guy is at a front door and he asks 'Can I come in' calmly, and the guy's like no who are you, and he just forces himself in. I love shit like that. The scene where Bruce gets into a fight with that guy (horrible description I know) and eventually chokes him out gives me goosebumps, the score really makes this too.

Truant

I think The Village is saved by its awesome performances and legendary score. It was marketed as a horror film, and from what I've heard, much to Shyamalan's frustration. It's more of a weird love story about a crazy cult in the forest. I went in knowing nothing about the film, and enjoyed it a lot. My friends were pissed off by the romance stuff, and felt they got robbed of the scary movie the trailer had presented.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUcMEEQE424&feature=related <- Hilarious

I think The Village is saved by its awesome performances and legendary score. It was marketed as a horror film, and from what I've heard, much to Shyamalan's frustration. It's more of a weird love story about a crazy cult in the forest. I went in knowing nothing about the film, and enjoyed it a lot. My friends were pissed off by the romance stuff, and felt they got robbed of the scary movie the trailer had presented.

Fantastic synopsis. I'm a huge fan of this movie, and I love seeing it get some respect.

At the very least this will have an amazing score by James Newton Howard. His M. Night work is always great. The Last Airbender's score is awesome, it was a shame it wasn't nominated.

Hope this is good though, Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Signs and The Village are some of my favorites.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUcMEEQE424&feature=related <- Hilarious
The Village was absolutely amazing in tone, score, acting, etc, all up until its ending. And then it completely collapsed on itself and it deserves every ounce of criticism it gets for it.

At the very least this will have an amazing score by James Newton Howard. His M. Night work is always great. The Last Airbender's score is awesome, it was a shame it wasn't nominated.

Hope this is good though, Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Signs and The Village are some of my favorites.

I hate to be 'that guy,' but I just don't understand what people see in this movie. It was just so awful.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I hate to be 'that guy,' but I just don't understand what people see in this movie. It was just so awful.

Signs was fucking great. It does split people into the love it or hate it category though. I know the theater i was in when we saw it in New York loved it. Certainly was scared enough.

Angry Fork

The scene where he see's the alien on the roof out the window, the nighttime scenes in the crop field, the part where mel gibson tries to see under the door with the knife, the basement near the end, when they see the first images of tons of lights on TV across the world, meryl in the closet seeing the home footage of the alien, the conspiracy tin foil hat jokes etc. there's tons of great stuff.

So much tension and lots of payoffs. I find cornfields and farmhouses to be terrifying on their own let alone amplifying it with a shitload of creepy imagery + music. The 'har har plothole earth 75% water' argument against this movie never resonated with me. Even if this was overlooked by M. Night there are plenty of reasons a civilization could come to earth and either A. not know water hurt them or B. decided to come anyway because they needed to/wanted to/didn't care etc.

I don't care much for the priest stuff though. I'm atheist and anti-theist so none of it connects with me but I liked the rest of the movie a lot. I really feel like M. Night is a master of atmosphere and tension. People don't give him enough credit for it, or it's just not the kind of thing they enjoy. I love stuff like Paranormal Activity for example because of it's simple, real-feeling nature, but lots of people think it's boring/stupid. M. Night does a similar kind of "horror" imo which isn't horror it's just really thick suspense/atmosphere/tension.

I thought Mel Gibson and Joaquin Phoenix were great in it. And it really is an awesome look at invasion until the ending at least (which is just lame but whatever)

near

Gold Member
M. Neezie is a very good director. He's inconsistency stems from creative risk, and I applaud him for that. He'll deliver a fantastic film with G-Dub penning with Smith & Son leading, and redemption shall be witnessed! Haters will eat crow!

Dead

well not really...yet
Airbender showed a complete and fundamental breakdown of any sort of directorial talent M. Night had before...

I'll defend even Lady in the Water to an extent, but Airbender is amateur hour in every way possible (save the JNH score)

Angry Fork

M. Night, Will Smith, Jaden Smith. That just sounds absolutely terrible.

Hopefully you can rescue it Gary

Will is fine, even though I hope he acts different this time and doesn't do what he did in I, Robot which is just Will Smith getting asses in seats for a super duper action movie. I know he sells movies but I wish he'd be a real character and not Will Smith jumping around.

Jaden will almost certainly be disastrous though. Worse nepotism than Sofia Copolla in Godfather 3.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Geez lots of M. Night love in here. The M. Night cycle is pretty similar to the sonic cycle. Again I will hold out hope, because like many others, I'm a fan of his first 3 movies. You don't just lose talent like that.

Also while M. Night does seem like a nice enough guy, he's also avery self indulgent guy, constantly talking about how he floors himself with what he comes up with.

Night has been tweeting a bunch of interesting stuff about the movie in the run-up to production via his twitter, @MNightShyamalan. His latest has some fun facts and figures!

Principal photography starts in 20 working days (Feb 1).
65 shooting days scheduled.
747 shots in total.
11.5 shots per day (Night's average, 11.3)

dmshaposv

Now that M night isn't a writer, for a change, this might turn out good. He has flair for direction and building suspense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom