• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

M. Night Shymalan's New Sci-Film (Written By GARY WHITTA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kunan

All I see when I read the title of the film:

Drej.jpg

I just imagine Shymalan watching Book of Eli, and then when the awful twist comes he jumps out of his seat and yells "GET ME THIS WRITER!"

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Do people still say "tight" like that? I thought that died back in 1998.

Tucah

you speak so well
timetokill said:
I just imagine Shymalan watching Book of Eli, and then when the awful twist comes he jumps out of his seat and yells "GET ME THIS WRITER!"
:lol :lol So true

pootle

timetokill said:

Heh. Totally agree about how bad the twist was.
Couldn't it have been in latin or something? So the baddie at the end opens it up, ready to use it's powerful words to cement his control over the people, and... it's in foreign and he can't. And no need to piss me off with the twiiiiiist that we got.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
pootle said:
Couldn't it have been in latin or something? So the baddie at the end opens it up, ready to use it's powerful words to cement his control over the people, and... it's in foreign and he can't. And no need to piss me off with the twiiiiiist that we got.
It's a clear reference to
Zatoichi
. So it makes more sense that way, really.

You know what was the most amazing aspect of Signs? The Hess family. Signs should be looked as a story of a rural Pennsylvania family that is going through tragedy. The scene where Mel Gibson and his brother played by Phoenix share a heart to heart moment about faith is so wonderfully directed, that any lesser director would have shitted it up bad. Similarly, Sixth Sense is about the relationship between a psychiatrist and a troubled boy, and the boy's mom. Unbreakable is simply an all-round great flick. If you leave out the supernatural aspects from the movies, they're genuinely good drama. And this is where M. Night's strength lies: the human aspect. Whenever he builds rich relationships between characters, and makes fully realized characters who feel truly genuine, he has a winner on his hands.
Goddamn, now this is a great post. I've felt the same, and its one of the reasons I'll agree to watch Signs when someone wants to. I know they would melt just with the morning dew they ran through in the fields, but Mel and Pheonix and the children aren't endearing, they're real. Same with Bruce and his son, same with Bruce and the kid. You're entirely right.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
M. Night has only made one genuinely good movie and one decent movie with a dumb twist. And no, Sixth Sense is neither one.

pootle

wmat said:
It's a clear reference to
Zatoichi
. So it makes more sense that way, really.

I see what you're saying but
Zatoichi
is about as un-twisty as you can get. It says it all in the title.
If at the end Zatoichi the blind swordsman could see all along that would have been just as bad a twist.

jett

D-Member
timetokill said:

sheeeeeeiiiit :lol

I wonder why Will would sully his rep by jumping in a Shalyman film? a decade ago it would have been cool...but now it just seems...unwise.

Jhriad

M. Night Shamalamadingdong destroys yet another burgeoning career. R.I.P. Gary. Your writing will be missed.

Iceman

Mega congrats to Gary. Constantly an inspiration for me.

Despite his recent downturn, M. Night is still legend for me. And Will Smith? Does it get more A-lister? First Denzel and now Will?

M. Night clearly has a problem utilizing CG. That's what did him in on Airbender. That was a mess of direction. And his script missed the heart of the story. Hopefully, he's learned a ton from that. He's spectacular with practical set work, IMO. And he's particularly adept at slower paced, eerie kind of stories.

I'm going to go ahead and be super optimistic about this.

Can't wait to hear the nitty gritty specifics of collaborating with someone as controversial as Shyamalan.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Neuromancer said:
I know it's a meme but he really does clearly say "earth." Just saying.

Who gives a shit?

The Erf defense force is lame.

People "think" that he said "Erf" because he has the stogie in the pic most commonly associated with it.

It's already a super dumb scene. Why does the addition of a phantom consonant change it enough to keep this thing going?

To me, it will always be "Erf" and sometimes Johnny sweeps the knee. I can live with it.

more info:
“Night is an outstanding filmmaker who has a tremendous vision for this science-fiction adventure story and we couldn't be more excited to be working again with Jaden after our experiences on The Pursuit of Happyness and The Karate Kid,” Belgrad said in a statement. “We’re thrilled to have the two of them together on this project.”

Added Shyamalan, "The chance to make a scary, science-fiction film starring Jaden and Will is my dream project."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom