• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
They won't move the iPhone to a twice yearly schedule. There's even less a chance of that than putting the iPad on one. And iPhones currently follow a tick/tock schedule. New model one year, same model with faster parts and an S moniker the next.

Put me in the camp that thinks the rumors of a twice-yearly schedule for iOS devices is just a silly rumor that won't happen.

Also, iPhone mini is silly. Apple already has perfectly good budget iPhones. They're called the two models before the current one. (4 and 4S are $0 and $100 on contract. There's your budget. Apple won't release a "dumbed down" iPhone. It's not who they are. The most dumbed down iPhone you're going to get is an iPhone 4 which lacks Siri.

Then again Apple likes to change things around to remain unpredictable so...

muddream

Banned
I've heard this too, but I wonder if it could just be the also-rumored iphone mini?

That won't happen, the regular one's already a mini by android standards. Until a legit looking new iPhone surfaces, I wouldn't get caught up with apple rumors because anything could happen. If you need an iPhone/Mac, buy one now. Unless it's a Mac Pro...don't buy that one.

32GB of RAM was only $160 to upgrade using Amazon as opposed to $600 on apple lol. This iMac should be easily powerful enough for everything I want to do with it for years to come. Keep in mind I don't game on PCs

Few years? I should hope so. My six year old Mac Pro is still trucking along.

LCfiner

Well, I just pulled the trigger last night on a refurbed 15" (2.6 Ghz, 512 GB) retina macbook Pro. I got someone interested in my old 2009 iMac so I pulled the trigger on the rMBP. it should arrive next week. (fingers crossed I won't get image retention issues)

I was really hoping to be able to get the new iMac but the target display limitation (thunderbolt only, no MiniDP) means I can't use it for hooking up my gaming machine as a monitor. So I decided to finally divorce myself from the all in one desktop and move to a powerful laptop. My personal setup needs a more flexible display than what Apple offers.

I figure I'll grab a 23" IPS display from Dell to act as a generic display for any future machines I get.

TUSR

Banned
Well, I just pulled the trigger last night on a refurbed 15" (2.6 Ghz, 512 GB) retina macbook Pro. I got someone interested in my old 2009 iMac so I pulled the trigger on the rMBP. it should arrive next week. (fingers crossed I won't get image retention issues)

I was really hoping to be able to get the new iMac but the target display limitation (thunderbolt only, no MiniDP) means I can't use it for hooking up my gaming machine as a monitor. So I decided to finally divorce myself from the all in one desktop and move to a powerful laptop. My personal setup needs a more flexible display than what Apple offers.

I figure I'll grab a 23" IPS display from Dell to act as a generic display for any future machines I get.

Good choice on the 512GB SSD. You'll know in about 10 minutes if you have image retention.

Decided to get a TB display when they update the I/O to USB3.0

Deku Tree

Good choice on the 512GB SSD. You'll know in about 10 minutes if you have image retention.

Decided to get a TB display when they update the I/O to USB3.0

Also take a look at the Dell u2713hm. It is currently $300 cheaper. It has a usb3.0 hub. It has dvi, VGA, hdmi, and display ports (apple has none of these). It does not have thunderbolt port, internal speakers, or a FaceTime camera. The screen is at least as good as apples TB display. The dell stand provides much better height, tilt and swivel options too (apple doesn't really provide any options in this regard).

I just got one and I am loving it.

TUSR

Banned
Also take a look at the Dell u2713hm. It is currently $300 cheaper. It has a usb3.0 hub. It has dvi, VGA, hdmi, and display ports (apple has none of these). It does not have thunderbolt port, internal speakers, or a FaceTime camera. The screen is at least as good as apples TB display. The dell stand provides much better height, tilt and swivel options too (apple doesn't really provide any options in this regard).

I just got one and I am loving it.

Was looking at this when someone previously talked about it (last page?). Decided the TB was the route for me to go. Im moving away to a different University and don't plan on bringing much due to space limitations.

Internal speakers, TB connection, and (hopefully) 2x USB3.0 will need to be in the next iteration.

If these are not, ill probably look at the Korean monitor selection and then the Dell.

appreciate the input.

Deku Tree

Was looking at this when someone previously talked about it (last page?). Decided the TB was the route for me to go. Im moving away to a different University and don't plan on bringing much due to space limitations.

Internal speakers, TB connection, and (hopefully) 2x USB3.0 will need to be in the next iteration.

If these are not, ill probably look at the Korean monitor selection and then the Dell.

appreciate the input.

I think I was one of the ppl talking about the Dell on the previous page.

I would expect it to be 4x USB3.0 whenever apple gets around to updating it. Yes you can get Korean 27" IPS monitors on ebay for $350-400. It seems like they are all bare bones monitors with only DVI input and no warranty. So then you also need to buy a Dual Link DVI adaptor ($100), a USB 3.0 hub, and whatever else you need.

I thought there was value in the Dell at $700 since you get the warranty the USB 3.0 ports, no need to buy an adaptor etc.

I use external speakers so I didn't really care about that.

Good luck.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
32GB of RAM was only $160 to upgrade using Amazon as opposed to $600 on apple lol. This iMac should be easily powerful enough for everything I want to do with it for years to come. Keep in mind I don't game on PCs

Can you link me to the RAM you ordered? I am planning on buying the same iMac as you (save to a 1TB Fusion instead of the 3TB) in the near future and want to max out the RAM as well.

Thanks!

TUSR

Banned
I think I was one of the ppl talking about the Dell on the previous page.

I would expect it to be 4x USB3.0 whenever apple gets around to updating it. Yes you can get Korean 27" IPS monitors on ebay for $350-400. It seems like they are all bare bones monitors with only DVI input and no warranty. So then you also need to buy a Dual Link DVI adaptor ($100), a USB 3.0 hub, and whatever else you need.

I thought there was value in the Dell at $700 since you get the warranty the USB 3.0 ports, no need to buy an adaptor etc.

I use external speakers so I didn't really care about that.

Good luck.

I definitely want to have the display function as a 'base station' for my rMBP. So the Korean monitor is probably not going to suffice.

See if they can update the Thunderbolt display before I lose my patience.

nib95

Banned
Woah, amazing surprise earlier today. If you guys remember, my last visit to the Apple store didn't go too well. The creak issue wasn't resolved, and in the end I sorted it out myself. I was however still very polite with the genius staff, and we must have spoke for 15-20 minutes just about cinema and games. Tarantino and Sci-Fi etc (whilst he was doing his testing and fixing I should add lol).

Well, I get a letter today from Apple stating that I have warranty coverage extended up to 2015! Funny thing is, I never ordered Apple care, and my only guess (based on the date it says the plan was instated on the letter), is that he put it on for me at the store(?), perhaps as good will.

Well chuffed. I was going to buy it anyway, but this made my day lol. Don't feel bad about the creak thing any more. And I figure if image retention gets bad later on (none so far), then the extended warranty should cover it.

Sapiens

My 2010 MBA 13's onboard speakers just stopped working. The icon is grey. Tried a lot of stuff including repairing disk permissions.

I feel as it may be hardware though. It's been exhibiting weird graphic glitches, but only on occasion.

Anyone else have this issue? I can live without it for a few weeks, I guess.

TUSR

Banned
My 2010 MBA 13's onboard speakers just stopped working. The icon is grey. Tried a lot of stuff including repairing disk permissions.

I feel as it may be hardware though. It's been exhibiting weird graphic glitches, but only on occasion.

does the headphone jack still work?

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/14...begin-running-short-at-third-party-resellers/

Would you look at that...

Apple Thunderbolt Display Supplies Begin Running Short at Third-Party Resellers

Option click on the volume menu icon and see if it shows anything weird.

MacBook Pro Retina with 'Haswell' would seal the deal for me. I was waiting for the next generation of Intel processors. I was really tempted to get one last year but I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

iPad 5 redesign will be mine on day one as well :)

TUSR

Banned
MacBook Pro Retina with 'Haswell' would seal the deal for me. I was waiting for the next generation of Intel processors. I was really tempted to get one last year but I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

iPad 5 redesign will be mine on day one as well :)

How often would you be using your laptop away from a charger?

An iPad 5 with a reduced border and the nice chamfer'ed edge would be day 1 for me.

Emitan

What is the "proper" way to deal with the battery in a laptop? I will be using my laptop at college a lot (can't study at all at home) but when I'm home and relaxing on the computer I like to be a lazy butt and lay in bed with my laptop on my stomach. I usually leave it plugged in 24/7 unless I am leaving the house with it.

LCfiner

What is the "proper" way to deal with the battery in a laptop? I will be using my laptop at college a lot (can't study at all at home) but when I'm home and relaxing on the computer I like to be a lazy butt and lay in bed with my laptop on my stomach. I usually leave it plugged in 24/7 unless I am leaving the house with it.

I had an older, 2007 Macbook pro that almost never left the desk. I had it for one year. it only had around 10 cycles and was always plugged in. At the end of the year, the battery would not last for more than an hour and had to be replaced.

Maybe the newer batteries can handle being plugged in 24/7 better but I would not recommend it based on my experience. unplug it every couple days so it can drain down a bit and then charge it up again.

basically, charge it as if you were actually moving around with it every couple days, even if it's still on a desk during the time.

Emitan

I had an older, 2007 Macbook pro that almost never left the desk. I had it for one year. it only had around 10 cycles and was always plugged in. At the end of the year, the battery would not last for more than an hour and had to be replaced.

Maybe the newer batteries can handle being plugged in 24/7 better but I would not recommend it based on my experience. unplug it every couple days so it can drain down a bit and then charge it up again.

basically, charge it as if you were actually moving around with it every couple days, even if it's still on a desk during the time.

Yeah, my current Macbook Pro only gets like 2 hours of charge when it used to get 5 back in 2009. But the weird thing is I bought a new battery for it from my Apple Store and it barely helped.

TUSR

Banned
Yeah, my current Macbook Pro only gets like 2 hours of charge when it used to get 5 back in 2009. But the weird thing is I bought a new battery for it from my Apple Store and it barely helped.

You shouldn't leave it plugged in 24/7. The battery needs to be cycled. Run it down and charge it up.

Have you updated operating system since you got your laptop in 2009?

fireside

Leaving the battery plugged in 24/7 can also lead to it bulging. That’s what happened to my old battery since I hardly ever take my laptop off my desk. I have a new battery, but it’s almost never in the computer. I realize that would be a very improbable thing to do on the newer Apple laptops, though.

muddream

Banned
The way I understand it Li-batteries in the MacBooks only need to be given a full discharge & recharge once a month. My '09 MBP is only at 57 cycles and still gets around 4 hours of battery life.

TUSR

Banned
The way I understand it Li-batteries in the MacBooks only need to be given a full discharge & recharge once a month. My '09 MBP is only at 57 cycles and still gets around 4 hours of battery life.

Does your understanding have any sources?

ckohler

I need some help.

My 2008 iMac died (mainboard failure) but luckily I was able to boot it into Firewire Target Disk mode and copy my essential files off it. Yesterday I purchased a brand new 2012 Mac Mini. I also bought a 256GB SSD and I plan to install that in place of the drive that comes with the Mini.

While I know how to boot from a thumb drive and install Mountain Lion onto the empty SSD, how would I get other apps such as iLife which come on the Mac Mini's drive onto the SSD?

Suggestions?

I got my 13" MBA in August last year. The battery is now at 82 cycles. That's an average of .56 cycles per day.

If i keep going at this rate, it will take until December 2nd 2017 to reach 1000 cycles (at which point it will have 80% capacity according to Apple).

Sounds pretty good to me?

While I know how to boot from a thumb drive and install Mountain Lion onto the empty SSD, how would I get other apps such as iLife which come on the Mac Mini's drive onto the SSD?

You have a number of options.

1. Boot the new mini and do the initial configuration, and sign into the Mac App Store with your Apple ID and claim those apps; you can then reinstall them on the new install.

2. Clone the HDD to the SSD using Disk Utility, Carbon Copy Cloner, SuperDuper or other.

3. Use Migration Assistant to migrate from HDD to SSD.

I would use 1 or 2.

ckohler

Great suggestions! I like the first option. I didn't know you could do that!

Edit: I figured out how to "claim them". It's in the "Purchased" area of the Mac App store.

Does anyone have advice on the best way to set up my media on an external hard drive? I'm currently on a 2010 MBP, and I'll probably upgrade to a Retina model or a MBA this year. With the shift over to a smaller SSD, I won't have room for my music & movies on my laptop. I'm not sure if it's best to store this stuff on a portable drive or to get something big that I can just plug into my time machine and access via the netowrk. Any ideas on the best way to set this up? How do those of you with a small laptop and lots of media handle it? Also, if people have recommendations on external hard drives, please let me know. Thanks.

LCfiner

Does anyone have advice on the best way to set up my media on an external hard drive? I'm currently on a 2010 MBP, and I'll probably upgrade to a Retina model or a MBA this year. With the shift over to a smaller SSD, I won't have room for my music & movies on my laptop. I'm not sure if it's best to store this stuff on a portable drive or to get something big that I can just plug into my time machine and access via the netowrk. Any ideas on the best way to set this up? How do those of you with a small laptop and lots of media handle it? Also, if people have recommendations on external hard drives, please let me know. Thanks.

Just yesterday I took the USB drive I've had hooked up to my iMac and hooked it up to my time machine (in anticipation of getting a MBP this week). access speed is a bit slower but it's still fast enough to play 720p on the machine plus stream 720p to a PS3 and Apple TV or iphone (via AirVideo)

So I would suggest hooking up a drive to the time capsule for your home media viewing.

This external drive could be a 2.5" USB powered drive so, if you head out on the road, you can unplug the drive from the Time Capsule and plug it in directly to the laptop without needing a power supply for the drive. But this will be a bit pricier than using the 3.5" wall powered drives, of course.

Iacobellis

TUSR

Banned
A new design for the rMBP would really piss me off, considering I just got this machine about a month ago to replace my 2009 15" MBP. The current look matches the rest of the aluminum product line so well, why must Apple change it now? Wait until another substantial upgrade to the computer.

A new design, where does it mention that?

Iacobellis

A new design, where does it mention that?

From the article:

- MacBook Pro: In line with his predictions from last year, Kuo believes that Apple will do away with the non-Retina MacBook Pro line in 2013, moving to an all-Retina lineup at cheaper price points than the current Retina models. Kuo also believes that Apple will tweak the design of these thinner Retina MacBook Pros, despite having just introduced the current form factor last year.

Stephen_King_s_Thinner.jpg

THINNER

LCfiner

1. the rMBP design change is a prediction and not based on leaks or inside info.

2. the word used was "tweak" which implies minor changes. like a reconfiguration of ports or slightly changed corner rads or bezel dimensions. stuff like that.

Iacobellis

Thats mental. What do you supposed they would change? Flush SDXC card slot would be my dream.

I think an SD Card slot akin to the SIM Tray on the iPhone would be crazy. One less crevice on the machine and the card wouldn't have to stick out like it does now.

TUSR

Banned
1. the rMBP design change is a prediction and not based on leaks or inside info.

2. the word used was "tweak" which implies minor changes. like a reconfiguration of ports or slightly changed corner rads or bezel dimensions. stuff like that.

i get an engineering hard on for that stuff

I think an SD Card slot akin to the SIM Tray on the iPhone would be crazy. One less crevice on the machine and the card wouldn't have to stick out like it does now.

A tray seems like a stretch.

My prediction: New silicone and maybe a different screw arrangement

Top Bottom