• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

hermit7

Just got an upgraded air. Had to get one with a 256 gig ssd, but it is a great little machine, and my first macbook.

Are there any tips that I should know?

I think an SD Card slot akin to the SIM Tray on the iPhone would be crazy. One less crevice on the machine and the card wouldn't have to stick out like it does now.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1342319572/the-nifty-minidrive

I have one of these coming by the end of the month since I backed their Kickstarter. Uses Micro SD instead of SDHC, but it is akin to what you are talking about. I'm going to use it to store my music collection on since I only have the 256 gb SSD in my rMBP.

TUSR

Banned
Just got an upgraded air. Had to get one with a 256 gig ssd, but it is a great little machine, and my first macbook.

Are there any tips that I should know?

Better touch tool, multi-touch gestures, keyboard shortcuts

I have one of these coming by the end of the month since I backed their Kickstarter. Uses Micro SD instead of SDHC, but it is akin to what you are talking about. I'm going to use it to store my music collection on since I only have the 256 gb SSD in my rMBP.

Yeah ive seen those around, enjoy putting your music collection on a micro SD card. Random access times are brutal.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Anyone know of tips to get for dents in a Macbook lid? I noticed a slight one today and I'm gutted.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Anyone know of tips to get for dents in a Macbook lid? I noticed a slight one today and I'm gutted.
Eh. Those dings and dents are what give it character. My MacBook Air has a bent corner on the lid. It doesn't take away from the usability. And it's hardly noticeable. I dropped my iPhone 4S on pavement a few weeks ago and it now has chips along the edges of the plastic buffer between the aluminum and glass. The screen protector kept the screen safe and it sucks but that's part of owning a device. My iPad mini has one single small chip in the shiny chamfered edge next to the headphone jack that I no longer see because I now have a protective leather case for it. My old iPad 2 also slid down onto the pavement a while ago and got dings in the edges of the aluminum.

Man, I am really clumsy with my technology. But it never kills them. Hell, I dropped my iPod touch onto a concrete floor and shattered the screen, TWICE. But the device kept working fine. The first one I sold to a friend for $35 (I bought it for $80 a year earlier) and bought the second one which I had for another year. But I just replaced that one with an iPhone. And now have a case and a screen protector. (The irony of the matter is that when I dropped my second iPod, I had literally just removed the protector a few days before because it was peeling and bubbling. But was too dumb to dig up the protectors I have to put a new one on.)

If the device still works, don't sweat the small things. Unless you're so anal about getting a high resale value. I always just end up handing my old devices down to family members. Or in the case of iPod touch #2, leaving it on a table next to my old LG Optimus V Android phone and classic iPod 3G.

Aluminum isn't magnetic.

Just yesterday I took the USB drive I've had hooked up to my iMac and hooked it up to my time machine (in anticipation of getting a MBP this week). access speed is a bit slower but it's still fast enough to play 720p on the machine plus stream 720p to a PS3 and Apple TV or iphone (via AirVideo)

So I would suggest hooking up a drive to the time capsule for your home media viewing.

This external drive could be a 2.5" USB powered drive so, if you head out on the road, you can unplug the drive from the Time Capsule and plug it in directly to the laptop without needing a power supply for the drive. But this will be a bit pricier than using the 3.5" wall powered drives, of course.
Cool, thanks. Sounds like it should be pretty straightforward to set up.

TUSR

Banned
Wow that kickstarter is intentionally misleading. Memory != storage.

NOTE: A couple of people have pointed out to us that we have mixed our terms a little. To clarify; when we refer to the MiniDrive increasing the "memory" of your computer, we mean the storage space, not RAM. Sorry for any confusion that this might have caused!

Yeah.

Cool, thanks. Sounds like it should be pretty straightforward to set up.

I really want a Time Capsule on my network to store all my media, but I feel like it would be slow as shit.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

I wanted to help kickstart that but since I have an Air and will eventually be getting a Retina Pro which has a different shaped slot, I didn't want to get one that would look wrong when I get my next machine. I wish Apple just used one standard slot shape. I'll get one when I get a Retina Pro if they're still selling them.

I wanted to help kickstart that but since I have an Air and will eventually be getting a Retina Pro which has a different shaped slot, I didn't want to get one that would look wrong when I get my next machine. I wish Apple just used one standard slot shape. I'll get one when I get a Retina Pro if they're still selling them.

They said that they are in production and should be in backers hands by the end of the month so when I get mine I'll let you know how it works out.

kennah

I'm so pissed with myself for not jumping on that when it was still in kickstart phase (couldn't really afford it). Did any GAFfers get a multipack?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
They said that they are in production and should be in backers hands by the end of the month so when I get mine I'll let you know how it works out.
It really is a neat idea (Dancing around the obvious pun here) and I would love to get one. But I'd rather get one that will look right in the machine I will have later. I wish Apple hadn't used two different slot shapes. I know I could get a MacBook Air model and still use it on the Pro later, but then it'd have the big holes on the left and right sides of the slot that would just look bad. It's all aesthetics, and if you're not big on aesthetics, then you might as well not even get one of them. I'd just get a large full sized SD card instead. Shame SD cards aren't fast enough for real constant use. I'd use one for storage, but I wonder if it'd wear it out really fast?

It really is a neat idea (Dancing around the obvious pun here) and I would love to get one. But I'd rather get one that will look right in the machine I will have later. I wish Apple hadn't used two different slot shapes. I know I could get a MacBook Air model and still use it on the Pro later, but then it'd have the big holes on the left and right sides of the slot that would just look bad. It's all aesthetics, and if you're not big on aesthetics, then you might as well not even get one of them. I'd just get a large full sized SD card instead. Shame SD cards aren't fast enough for real constant use. I'd use one for storage, but I wonder if it'd wear it out really fast?

Two? I think there's three, at least I vaguely remember the mini drive guys saying they had to offer separate pro / retina / air specs? Maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway I'm pretty sure they allow for ordering from their site though I haven't the slightest on availability given they're so busy manufacturing for kickstarters.

SD won't wear out fast - they are still rated for a good number of cycles - but given the transfer rate difference they are best used for relatively static content, ie your iTunes collection or something.

Laekon

Just did my taxes and getting more than enough back for an Air. I'm mainly looking at it for work as I hate the Thinkpad I get. If I don't like it is it possible to return it to Apple for a refund? They say you can but don't know if anyone here ever has.

Just let it go. If you're gonna be gutted by minor cosmetic damage like that, you will live the rest of your life in constant tension.

Doesn't mean that you shouldn't be careful with your shit, of course.

ckohler

I installed an SSD into my Mac Mini last night then installed Mountain Lion onto it. Only mistake I made was that I didn't fully reconnect the fan cable so the thing got REALLY HOT for the 30 minutes it was installing. I hope I didn't damage anything! :(

It seems to be working fine now that the fan is fully connected, it stay very cool.

kennah

Oh man, a friend doesn't like her Magic TrackPad so is selling it to me for a song. Has changed my life, so awesome to use on my 2006 MacBook (too bad I can't go further than Lion)

Just did my taxes and getting more than enough back for an Air. I'm mainly looking at it for work as I hate the Thinkpad I get. If I don't like it is it possible to return it to Apple for a refund? They say you can but don't know if anyone here ever has.

Here in the UK you can return it within 14 days no questions asked

Two? I think there's three, at least I vaguely remember the mini drive guys saying they had to offer separate pro / retina / air specs? Maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway I'm pretty sure they allow for ordering from their site though I haven't the slightest on availability given they're so busy manufacturing for kickstarters.

SD won't wear out fast - they are still rated for a good number of cycles - but given the transfer rate difference they are best used for relatively static content, ie your iTunes collection or something.

They are making 3 separate models. Originally it was 2 (1 for the Pro and 1 for the Air), but then when they got their hands on the rMBP they realized that it was a different size than the normal Pro's slot. I figured for $30 it was worth it to try one out and I have a rMBP that I know I will be keeping for awhile so I'm good on that front. I'm actually going to use it for my iTunes library and nothing else since right now I have my music on a NAS that doesn't do me much good outside of my house. I know that I can also stream from iCloud when I'm away from home, but I wanted a way to carry physical copies of my music for when I'm somewhere outside my house and not near an internet connection.

TUSR

Banned
Oh man, a friend doesn't like her Magic TrackPad so is selling it to me for a song. Has changed my life, so awesome to use on my 2006 MacBook (too bad I can't go further than Lion)

You lucky dog. Ive been wanting to pick one up for a while now but haven't been working because of school.

They are making 3 separate models. Originally it was 2 (1 for the Pro and 1 for the Air), but then when they got their hands on the rMBP they realized that it was a different size than the normal Pro's slot. I figured for $30 it was worth it to try one out and I have a rMBP that I know I will be keeping for awhile so I'm good on that front. I'm actually going to use it for my iTunes library and nothing else since right now I have my music on a NAS that doesn't do me much good outside of my house. I know that I can also stream from iCloud when I'm away from home, but I wanted a way to carry physical copies of my music for when I'm somewhere outside my house and not near an internet connection.

I believe I commented on this earlier yesterday. Random seek times on a micro SD card are atrocious. Even with a rMBP, you're going to have a nice delay when selecting media off of the card.

Which leads me to my next point, the new rMBP iteration needs to have a flush SD card slot.

kennah

You lucky dog. Ive been wanting to pick one up for a while now but haven't been working because of school.

It seriously changed using this computer from frustration to delight. Though I suspect bumping my ram up to 3gig helped too. Now to spend $35 on that last gig.... And maybe a bigger SSD.... and maybe and maybe and maybe

TUSR

Banned
It seriously changed using this computer from frustration to delight. Though I suspect bumping my ram up to 3gig helped too. Now to spend $35 on that last gig.... And maybe a bigger SSD.... and maybe and maybe and maybe

3GB of ram, are you using asymmetrical sticks?

I have the magic mouse, and the full wired keyboard (with number pad). I wasn't too fond of the top of the wireless keyboard with the transition to the tubular battery pack. But hell, I have a 32" in my room I hook up to and would really like to lounge in my bed and use my laptop.

kennah

3GB of ram, are you using asymmetrical sticks?

I have the magic mouse, and the full wired keyboard (with number pad). I wasn't too fond of the top of the wireless keyboard with the transition to the tubular battery pack. But hell, I have a 32" in my room I hook up to and would really like to lounge in my bed and use my laptop.

Yeah, found a 2gig stick on craigst list for 10$. Trying to not spend much on this as I'm hoping to upgrade to an Air within a year or so.

Question for the SSD guys:

I installed a Crucial M4 in my Mac Mini, do I need to enable trim on this SSD? I've heard that the M4 has it's own built-in processes that should work fine.

Majine

Banned
I wish I could pay to upgrade the storage on my Air, or go back to when I purchased it, and put some extra money in. Aside from that, it's the best computer I've ever used.

TUSR

Banned
Question for the SSD guys:

I installed a Crucial M4 in my Mac Mini, do I need to enable trim on this SSD? I've heard that the M4 has it's own built-in processes that should work fine.

Technically you do not need TRIM enabled. The SSD will clean itself when the system hits idle, so would you rather wait for the system to do it or would you rather have the SSD do it itself?

My preference, forget about it. Don't enable it.

I wish I could pay to upgrade the storage on my Air, or go back to when I purchased it, and put some extra money in. Aside from that, it's the best computer I've ever used.

My 15" rMBP feels your pain.

Milpool

I want something for using Lightroom when I'm away from home, on holiday and such and the Air is high on my list. But I can't decide on whether to wait for the new models or what, 5-6 months seems so far away.

TUSR

Banned
I want something for using Lightroom when I'm away from home, on holiday and such and the Air is high on my list. But I can't decide on whether to wait for the new models or what, 5-6 months seems so far away.

Wait.

You will regret buying an Ivy Bridge when Haswell comes out.

Technically you do not need TRIM enabled. The SSD will clean itself when the system hits idle, so would you rather wait for the system to do it or would you rather have the SSD do it itself?

My preference, forget about it. Don't enable it.

Awesome, thanks.

kennah

Ive never been fond of mixing different memory values of RAM sticks.

Me too, but if you saw the condition of this computer, you'd understand. It's an Oreo MacBook - frankensteined together from the corpse of my black one and the corpse of a friends white one.

kennah

It must be destroyed.

:(

IMG_6045.jpg

man i really hope apple reintroduces a black option for the macbook pros in the future. silver is cool but a black/dark grey option would be super cool.

something similar to the iphone 5 or ipad mini....*drool*

hiro4

Yes! My iMac has been shipped.
Can't wait for it to arrive and finally play some Civ V.. Eh I mean to do some work.

TUSR

Banned
Seeing how incomplete the OP is I really want to take over the next thread if there ever is one.

It would be my first thread ever.

Top Bottom