• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I had the same reservations about using a third party SSD until I learned that Crucial SSDs have their own garbage collection built into them. No need to use TRIM. They even have a knowledge base article explaining it:

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-S...D-performance-why-is-it-important/ta-p/100276
This brings up a question I've had for a while. At what point does OS X consider the computer "idle"?

Is it as soon as the user stops typing or mousing? Is it after a certain amount of time since then? Is it when all applications stop doing what they're currently doing?

TUSR

Banned
Why not start a 2013 thread and have this one locked?

Decent idea, ill ask a mod later about it.

This brings up a question I've had for a while. At what point does OS X consider the computer "idle"?

Is it as soon as the user stops typing or mousing? Is it after a certain amount of time since then? Is it when all applications stop doing what they're currently doing?

Im not sure the exact point, but it takes a while for the SSD to clean itself. So long 'idle' time.

Probably would be able to determine the idle conditions with a bit of Google'ing

JayDub

Seeing how incomplete the OP is I really want to take over the next thread if there ever is one.

It would be my first thread ever.

OP isnt even updated! Its so dumb. If you do take over, update as new hardware comes out. Its 2013 and we're looking at 2011 hardware in OP.

TUSR

Banned
OP isnt even updated! Its so dumb. If you do take over, update as new hardware comes out. Its 2013 and we're looking at 2011 hardware in OP.
Exactly the reason I want to take over it.

It hurts every time I don't see a 2012 iMac or rMBP in the OP

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Exactly the reason I want to take over it.

It hurts every time I don't see a 2012 iMac or rMBP in the OP
Agreed. As soon as the first 2013 Mac hardware starts coming out, put up a second OT and link it here. (And if you can, get a Mod to lock this one or it'll end up getting bumped all the time.)

And keep it updated. With the current state of all Apple's Mac machines. And as one gets updated, change its entry.

TUSR

Banned
Agreed. As soon as the first 2013 Mac hardware starts coming out, put up a second OT and link it here. (And if you can, get a Mod to lock this one or it'll end up getting bumped all the time.)

And keep it updated. With the current state of all Apple's Mac machines. And as one gets updated, change its entry.

Ill start working on it during this week for the current generation of hardware and then update periodically.

Presco

Soooo, Thunderbolt displays.

I'm getting my first Macbook whenever the Haswell models come out. Still undecided on the 11/13" Air or the 13" Retina. I also just discovered the incredibleness of the Thunderbolt display paired with a Macbook and think I'm decided on getting one of these as well. Might sway me to get a top end 11" Air to have the best of all worlds.

Main question is, any chance the new Thunderbolt displays will also work with my gaming PC? Would be nice to have the option to use it just as a display for the PC via HDMI or something and use it as a dock of sorts for the Macbook via Thunderbolt. Is this a pipe dream? Are there any other options? Would the cinema display allow me to do both and are there any major disadvantages to the cinema display other than bandwidth? Do the Dell displays have Thunderbolt ports? Thanks MacGAF!

June/July can't come fast enough.

Poody

What program do you use to photoshop a picture?
Guys my 08 iMac 24" screen won't turn on. Think it's the video card?

I had the same problem this year with my 2007 24 imac. We thought it was the graphics card at first, then it turned out to be the fan that qools the card; the root cause was a failed logic board that did not activate the fan, which overheated the graphics card. In the end, i saved the hd and thru the rest away. I would have spent 600 dollars to fix everthing.

Main question is, any chance the new Thunderbolt displays will also work with my gaming PC? Would be nice to have the option to use it just as a display for the PC via HDMI or something and use it as a dock of sorts for the Macbook via Thunderbolt. Is this a pipe dream? Are there any other options? Would the cinema display allow me to do both and are there any major disadvantages to the cinema display other than bandwidth? Do the Dell displays have Thunderbolt ports? Thanks MacGAF!

The TB display is thunderbolt only. No HDMI, no DVI. And the Macbook connection is more friendly in that it gives you the hub stuff (USB ports, etc) but it's not exactly a single cable; it's a single cable with magsafe and TB ends (you plug in both). So it's useless without a thunderbolt capable display and AFAIK that means Macs only.

The Cinema Display is virtually the same thing but you trade some ports for usable display options. It still comes with a multicable that includes magsafe but you'll need a miniDP - HDMI cable or plug adapter.

no other display I've heard of with TB ports...

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I figure this is the best place to ask, I'm thinking of sorting out the memory of this MacBook I have, it is a 13" mid 2009 white macbook (MC240LL/A) with 2GB DDR2 PC2-6400.

I'm not doing anything special on it but it is starting to feel a little clumsy these days. I did the crucial test and it told me max is 4GB and that from them it would be £46 to bump it up with two 2GB sticks.
According to MacUpgrades.co.uk looking at the front bus speed of 1.07 GHz and memory speed of 800MHz I can actually put in up to 6GB?

I won't be doing this any time soon but it is something I aim to do at some point, so what is the cheapest way to do this and what RAM can I stick in it without worry? I'm not looking for anything special, being unemployed currently I just want room to manoeuvre during general day use and the cheapest way to get there.

snack

Hey guys! So I got a 2011 13 inch 2.3GHz MacBook Pro (MC700LL/A) and I'm thinking about selling it for an air, 13 inch probs. Is there a big difference in performance? I like the thin factor of the air, big fan of it. Just wanted your opinions, thanks!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Hey guys! So I got a 2011 13 inch 2.3GHz MacBook Pro (MC700LL/A) and I'm thinking about selling it for an air, 13 inch probs. Is there a big difference in performance? I like the thin factor of the air, big fan of it. Just wanted your opinions, thanks!
Probably negligible. Though this years model will be much better if you can wait. I would hold on until then because the 2011 model is great. And the 2013 Air will be even better.

So I just got a 1TB external hard drive.

I want to be able to use it simultaneously between my Mac, my Bootcamp partition on my Mac, and my PC.

How should I best go about doing this?

So I just got a 1TB external hard drive.

I want to be able to use it simultaneously between my Mac, my Bootcamp partition on my Mac, and my PC.

Assuming you're not using Windows XP, just format it as an ExFat volume. If you are using Windows XP, you should look into an NTFS driver for your Mac.

Assuming you're not using Windows XP, just format it as an ExFat volume. If you are using Windows XP, you should look into an NTFS driver for your Mac.

Ok, I am not using XP, so that is good.

With ExFat does that limit the size of the files, similar to how with FAT32 there is a 4GB file cap?

Also, should I format it on the mac or on the PC (or does it even matter)?

Ok, I am not using XP, so that is good.

With ExFat does that limit the size of the files, similar to how with FAT32 there is a 4GB file cap?

Yes, there's a cap, but it's 16EiB, so probably not in practice for you. It's a modern MS filesystem. It doesn't matter on which you format it. Wikipedia says it'll even work on XP with the right patch.

My MBP makes some unnerving sounds when it heats up, like popcorn popping. The strange thing is this happened a few months ago and I changed my HDD because of it :/

Iacobellis

2.66 i7, 8GB RAM, 330M 512MB Card.

My GF has a rMBP right now and the thing just screams on After Effects.

Yeah, I would wait for the Haswell rMBP. The only bad thing about your current machine seems to be the GPU. Upgrading from a 2009 15" MBP has been a blessing. Where 10 minute 720p videos would take an hour to render in Sony Vegas, I can now fully export a shorter 720p video in FCP X in a matter of minutes. I love it!

If you are on a hard drive on the MBP, the MBA would probably feel faster in many regards just from the SSD.

snack

If you are on a hard drive on the MBP, the MBA would probably feel faster in many regards just from the SSD.

So the bootup time differences are extremely noticeable? I hate having to wait for my current mbp to bootup. Takes forever.

Also, I have a question about keyboard keys on the mbp/mba. Do they wear out easily? I have a plastic membrane cover for my mbp so I can't tell how badly grease/sweat and all that stuff affect the keys?

kennah

That's still potentially 5-6 months away. Would you hold out?

Haswell is potentially huge, but the current Air will likely be fine for a ways to go. USB3 and the Intel 4000 are both pretty good to have on the computer. If you need it right now, get it right now, if you can wait, wait.

leroidys

I was looking at the airs recently too, and found it absurd how much higher the ipad's resolution is than the air. Hopefully that will be improved in the next refresh as well.

Majine

Banned
How does 6 second boot time sound to you? Six seconds. From bong to login. Six. Seconds. Flash.

Haha, I remember when the computer used to tell you "You have to restart to finish this setup or whatever" and I was like "Oh my good, no! My life!".

With the Air it takes the same amount of time as starting Starcraft 2.

Will it void your warranty if you upgrade the SSD yourself?

I think it technically does, but just keep your old drive around and if you need to take it to the Apple Store to get fixed, pop the old back in before you take it to them. I don't believe there is anything (like stickers you have to cut through) that will tell them that you opened up your computer to upgrade the drive.

Edit: This should answer your question. http://eshop.macsales.com/Search/displayFAQDetails.cfm?ID=657

snack

Huh, I didn't know you could change the Retinas...

That would make swallowing the cost for one easier...

I watched a video on it not too long ago. Looked like a really easy swap to make. I still have plenty of room on my 256 gb SSD, but I'm glad the option to upgrade is there should I need it.

Chris R

What is the typical mAh for a 2011 13" MBA? I'm sitting at 6115 mAh now with 177 cycles, just feels like my battery doesn't last for more than a few hours tops now :(

robotnjik

I got offer for this iMac:

iMac 27" 3.1GHz Quad Core i5
iMac12,2 (mid-2011)
16 GB RAM 1333 MHz DDR3
256 GB SSD
ATI Radeon HD6970M 1 GB GDDR5

and its 1450 EUR. I'll go to check out machine in Saturday and I'm trying to find out is it worthy that money and will be good next two years for graphic design tasks? From time to time I worked on Macs and I'm a bit cautious cause never been fully into Macs experience for longer period to know what to expect.

Top Bottom