• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

gokieks

Looking for a good bag for the MBA 13 inch. Something like the incase neoprene types would be lovely.

I recommend booq basically everytime someone asks about bags - they're very well made, attractive, and while not the cheapest, not too expensive either. I love my Viper hard case.

What is the typical mAh for a 2011 13" MBA? I'm sitting at 6115 mAh now with 177 cycles, just feels like my battery doesn't last for more than a few hours tops now :(

My 2011 MBA 13" is at 50 cycles (I don't use it all that much) with a full charge capacity of 6184 mAh.

I got offer for this iMac:

iMac 27" 3.1GHz Quad Core i5
iMac12,2 (mid-2011)
16 GB RAM 1333 MHz DDR3
256 GB SSD
ATI Radeon HD6970M 1 GB GDDR5

and its 1450 EUR. I'll go to check out machine in Saturday and I'm trying to find out is it worthy that money and will be good next two years for graphic design tasks? From time to time I worked on Macs and I'm a bit cautious cause never been fully into Macs experience for longer period to know what to expect.

That will be a great machine for graphic design. I have the i7 version and it is a beast. (also that 6970M is quite a good graphics chip for gaming if you bootcamp it)

My 2011 MBA 13" is at 50 cycles (I don't use it all that much) with a full charge capacity of 6184 mAh.

I'm past 200 cycles and it's still just north of 6000 mAh. As I understand it around ~6500-6600 is stock. So while I hate to admit my battery is getting older, that's actually really good battery sustainability.

LCfiner

Just want to say I've been using the 15" retina macbook pro for a week and it's awesome. noticeably faster than the 2009 27" iMac due to the SSD. I also note more responsiveness scrolling a webpage when loading up a ton of webpages in tabs at the same time than I did with the imac. not sure if that's CPU speed at play with the rendering or if it's also a function of the SSD and how safari loads and caches stuff.

anyway, I'm super pleased. For the desktop, I'm running the retina screen at default 1400 x 900 retina scaled, plus I have a 1080p IPS monitor above it. all expose and minimizing animations run at a smooth 60fps. when using just the laptop away from the desk, I use the 1680 x 1050 scaled res on the retina screen and notice some minor slowdown with the expose animations.

I don't notice slowdowns when scrolling webpages with either of these setups. but the heaviest pages I visit are The Verge and some tumblrs with lots of gifs. I think there's some stuff out there that might cause slowdowns but I just don't go to those sites, I guess.

I did notice slowdown on webpages when running the retina scaled 1920 res on the laptop. the oversampling brings it down. but that's too small a size on the 15" screen for me to comfortably use.

It still blows my mind how thin and light this thing is compared not just to most current midrange or higher end Windows laptops but older, high end Mac laptops. It's nuts. But it's not like Apple's giving these away...

Baconbitz

Banned
So, the last few times my mac has gone to sleep. Hitting a key on the keyboard or clicking the mouse wont wake it back up. Now, the only thing that wakes it up is hitting the power button in the back of the monitor. Any clues?

TUSR

Banned
Just want to say I've been using the 15" retina macbook pro for a week and it's awesome. noticeably faster than the 2009 27" iMac due to the SSD. I also note more responsiveness scrolling a webpage when loading up a ton of webpages in tabs at the same time than I did with the imac. not sure if that's CPU speed at play with the rendering or if it's also a function of the SSD and how safari loads and caches stuff.

anyway, I'm super pleased. For the desktop, I'm running the retina screen at default 1400 x 900 retina scaled, plus I have a 1080p IPS monitor above it. all expose and minimizing animations run at a smooth 60fps. when using just the laptop away from the desk, I use the 1680 x 1050 scaled res on the retina screen and notice some minor slowdown with the expose animations.

I don't notice slowdowns when scrolling webpages with either of these setups. but the heaviest pages I visit are The Verge and some tumblrs with lots of gifs. I think there's some stuff out there that might cause slowdowns but I just don't go to those sites, I guess.

I did notice slowdown on webpages when running the retina scaled 1920 res on the laptop. the oversampling brings it down. but that's too small a size on the 15" screen for me to comfortably use.

It still blows my mind how thin and light this thing is compared not just to most current midrange or higher end Windows laptops but older, high end Mac laptops. It's nuts. But it's not like Apple's giving these away...

Thats ram and CPU bound unless you are forcing GPU acceleration for Chrome.

Scaled resolutions really nuke the performance, I use the native retina resolution when I run dual monitors and scaled when Im not.

I finally moved my laptop off my desk and realized how thin it was too. Pretty remarkable what it can do in the package.

I am interested in an apple laptop but when is a good time to buy one?
The ones with the retina screens

Do you have a timeline in which you need one? Or could you wait a bit?

So, the last few times my mac has gone to sleep. Hitting a key on the keyboard or clicking the mouse wont wake it back up. Now, the only thing that wakes it up is hitting the power button in the back of the monitor. Any clues?

Which laptop do you have? SSD or HDD inside?

Baconbitz

Banned
Thats ram and CPU bound unless you are forcing GPU acceleration for Chrome.

Scaled resolutions really nuke the performance, I use the native retina resolution when I run dual monitors and scaled when Im not.

I finally moved my laptop off my desk and realized how thin it was too. Pretty remarkable what it can do in the package.

Do you have a timeline in which you need one? Or could you wait a bit?

Which laptop do you have? SSD or HDD inside?

I have an iMac 2011.

TUSR

Banned
I have an iMac 2011.

So HDD or SSD...?

I can wait a while because I gotta save up for it.

Thats good, the whole laptop line is in a transition state right now to new tech and there might be some interesting changes with the next refresh.

Are Apple laptops due for major changes this year? I'm waiting for something Surfacey.

According to many sites, yeah there should be some new silicon in the laptops. But as far as a piece of tech akin to the Surface, no. There is too much money in their current set up of products. And no rumors to consider a switch.

But as far as displays go, and what is and isn't getting a Retina display with the switch to Haswell is unknown.

Fatalah

So HDD or SSD...?

Thats good, the whole laptop line is in a transition state right now to new tech and there might be some interesting changes with the next refresh.

According to many sites, yeah there should be some new silicon in the laptops. But as far as a piece of tech akin to the Surface, no. There is too much money in their current set up of products. And no rumors to consider a switch.

But as far as displays go, and what is and isn't getting a Retina display with the switch to Haswell is unknown.

Thanks for the insights.

Baconbitz

Banned
So HDD or SSD...?

I believe its an SSD?

TUSR

Banned
I believe its an SSD?

qcPX308.png

Find this.

Prowl

Thinking about switching to camp apple with a Mbp 13" i7, would that be decent enough for a little photo work(photoshop/lightroom) and some video editing(gopro footage)?

I really like the size of the 13", travel friendly.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Are Fusion Drives worth it or should I just hold off and get the regular 3TB drive?

(27" iMac) -- also is it really still taking a month for these things to ship

kennah

Ok, I put it in the trash. Tried to empty the trash after deleting the app, closing the browser, and it tells me the DMG is still in use. Idk. When I open up the menu on the DMG it doesn't show the eject option also.

Oh Baconbitz... did you try locking the thread or putting your password in?
I kid, I kid

TO INSTALL A PROGRAM ON MAC

Open the DMG. DO NOT OPEN THE PROGRAM YET
Drag that program to the Application folder. Usually there is an arrow and a link right there.
Close the DMG and Eject
Run the Program from your Applications Folder.

TO FIX WHAT YOU HAVE DONE
CLOSE CHROME
Follow above instructions.

TUSR

Banned
I kid, I kid

Drag that program to the Application folder. Usually there is an arrow and a link right there.
Close the DMG and Eject

CLOSE CHROME

spot on

my rMBP is now throttling hard on bootcamp.

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

VPhys

Are Fusion Drives worth it or should I just hold off and get the regular 3TB drive?

(27" iMac) -- also is it really still taking a month for these things to ship

On the iMac, Apple limits your options quite a bit. You can either buy a hard drive or the Fusion Drive on the 21.5-inch model, there’s no standalone SSD option. There the choice is a no-brainer. If you’re not going to buy your own SSD and replace the internal HDD with it (or try to see if OWC’s rMBP SSD fits), then the Fusion Drive is absolutely right choice. You’re paying handsomely for the right ($250 for 128GB of NAND is very 2011), but if you’re not willing to crack open the iMac case this is really the only way to go.

For the 27-inch iMac the decision is similarly difficult. Apple does offer a standalone SSD option, but it’s for a 768GB model that will set you back $1300. All of the sudden that $250 Fusion Drive upgrade sounds a lot more reasonable.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6679/a-month-with-apples-fusion-drive/7

In summary, it is recommended to get the one terabyte fusion drive with any iMac.

Baconbitz

Banned
I kid, I kid

Close the DMG and Eject

CLOSE CHROME
My password is
Kissmyass
. I kid too. Seriously, I'll try that when I get home. Still not sure about my mac sleeping. I dont think its my bluetooth as suggested in the posted thread.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
That's a HDD actually. A Seagate to be exact. Probably the one that came with the machine. But it's a HDD. If you replace it with a SSD, speeds will be greatly increased. (Though SSD's of the 500GB range are pretty expensive still. Even 256 is a high price at $200-300.)

TUSR

Banned
Have you installed anything lately? Can you open Activity Monitor and see if anything is sucking up the processors?

Nothing on both W7 BC and OSX. I want to say its GPU related, I have that feeling.

Because it only does it in games.

Im going to dick around later and reset my SMC again and my PRAM and do the latest updates. HOPEFULLY it fixes it.

Have had nothing but annoyances from it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Nothing on both W7 BC and OSX. I want to say its GPU related, I have that feeling.
That's what I'm thinking. But why now all of a sudden? How long have you had it and did it just start doing it? You have an Apple Store nearby? And does it happen all the time, or just occasionally and is it replicable if it's only occasional? I hate going in for service and not being able to replicate the issue I was having.

TUSR

Banned
That's what I'm thinking. But why now all of a sudden? How long have you had it and did it just start doing it? You have an Apple Store nearby? And does it happen all the time, or just occasionally and is it replicable if it's only occasional? I hate going in for service and not being able to replicate the issue I was having.

I edited my post a bunch above.

As far as all of the sudden, im not sure what I changed. I think its throttling the GPU because of some stupid background power setting.

I just opened up Borderlands 2 on W7 (running from an external drive) and it was lagging pretty bad. Changed resolutions to 1440x900, still lagging.

Booted up Skyrim on my SSD, still running like shit.

Same with Dark Souls.

No official Apple stores near by, but as close as you can get to one.

Waaghals

Abed, why out of no where is my Retina chugging balls?

Reset SMC. At random the MBPR will clock the GPU down to 34 mhz (!!!). I do not know why this happens, bit it is easily solved.

To solve this:

turn of computer

press SHIFT+CTRL+Option+ power button at the same time.

if you do this correctly the computer should NOT start by itself.

then, start the computer.

Your problem should now be fixed, but might suddenly reappear after reboot. If so, repeat.

EDIT: Some people apparently have to do this multiple times. I see that you have already tried it. Try again, there was a long thread on blizzard's forums about people get their framerate cut down to a quartet of what it was. It is a known issue.

Reset SMC. At random the MBPR will clock the GPU down to 34 mhz (!!!). I do not know why this happens, bit it is easily solved.

To solve this:

turn of computer

press SHIFT+CTRL+Option+ power button at the same time.

if you do this correctly the computer should NOT start by itself.

then, start the computer.

Your problem should now be fixed, but might suddenly reappear after reboot. If so, repeat.
Yep I've had to do this a few times, specifically whenever I would use Windows without the power supply plugged in.

Fixes the issue without fail.

Waaghals

It's a bizarre problem though. Have to do it occasionally.
That, coupled with some other things makes it feel like OS X is a little rougher around the edges under the hood than Win7. It is still the best laptop I have ever owned.

TUSR

Banned
I'm still new to osx. Anyways, I think I might call Apple about my sleep issue.

Have you played around with the power management settings about wifi and blue tooth settings?

Give them a call after you play around. They're pretty useless over the phone.

Emitan

I kid, I kid

Close the DMG and Eject

CLOSE CHROME

This should be the first thing you see when you turn on a Mac for the first time.

Jake.

my 13" air will be here next week...can't wait (first mac). will my external hdd's work on it (my current desktop has win7, my laptop has xp - i use the hdd's with my laptop) or will i have to do something with it? both are seagate's.

Top Bottom