• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

TUSR

Banned
my 13" air will be here next week...can't wait (first mac). will my external hdd's work on it (my current desktop has win7, my laptop has xp - i use the hdd's with my laptop) or will i have to do something with it? both are seagate's.

It all has to do with the format the drive is.

Jake.

so if its NTFS i can't write to it at all!? i'm pretty sure one of them said 'formatted for pc and mac' or something on the box when i bought it a year or so ago - the other one is alot older though.

edit: just checked, both are NTFS.

gokieks

Best thing to do is format them to be exFAT (unless you need to use it on a Linux or Windows machines which are either pre-XP or XP/Vista w/o the ability to run Windows Updates).

Baconbitz

Banned
On Windows I'm used to not shutting down. A co worker told me that Mac OSX 10 is sooooo fast that not shutting it down will have an affect on the computer. True or false?

On Windows I'm used to not shutting down. A co worker told me that Mac OSX 10 is sooooo fast that not shutting it down will have an affect on the computer. True or false?

o_O

I regularly shut mine down, but I don't feel its necessary or makes a difference.
that said startup time from off is only marginally longer than from sleep :p

Risette

A Good Citizen
How much will Haswell benefit the 13" Retina MBPs? Should I wait? Thinking of going ahead and getting one with my iMac.

Also, is the whole Samsung/LG screen thing still an issue?

Guess Who

Banned
How much will Haswell benefit the 13" Retina MBPs? Should I wait? Thinking of going ahead and getting one with my iMac.

Also, is the whole Samsung/LG screen thing still an issue?

The 13"? Quite a bit. Graphical horsepower is a huge factor in driving such a high-resolution display and Haswell is set to double Ivy Bridge for GPU performance.

And yeah, even now I hear of ghosting issues with LG Retina MBPs.

Risette

A Good Citizen
The 13"? Quite a bit. Graphical horsepower is a huge factor in driving such a high-resolution display and Haswell is set to double Ivy Bridge for GPU performance.

And yeah, even now I hear of ghosting issues with LG Retina MBPs.
Guess I'll wait then. When is Haswell coming around?

Also:

• Does the graphical performance effect normal application use if I don't plan on using a super high scaled resolution? My eyes get strained terribly quick, I can't look at tiny views for too long. Won't be playing games on a laptop either. Or is Retina just that demanding?

• Won't the new Retina MBPs pretty much all be the inferior LG screens?

• Should I wait to see what Apple might do with the Air when Haswell comes around too? (maybe Retina!?)

ckohler

Is there any problem with setting a computer speaker next to or on my new Mac mini? It has a solid-state drive so I think magnets should be safe but I'm not entirely sure.

muddream

Banned
Guess I'll wait then. When is Haswell coming around?

Also:

• Does the graphical performance effect normal application use if I don't plan on using a super high scaled resolution? My eyes get strained terribly quick, I can't look at tiny views for too long. Won't be playing games on a laptop either. Or is Retina just that demanding?

• Won't the new Retina MBPs pretty much all be the inferior LG screens?

• Should I wait to see what Apple might do with the Air when Haswell comes around too? (maybe Retina!?)

• Probably in the fall.
  • The default retina resolution looks like a crisper 1280x800. Some people just prefer the 1440x900 look from the MBA in terms of screen real estate. Performance can get sluggish without playing games/encoding video because it's a ridiculous resolution whether you scale or not.
  • Maybe LG can get their shit together until then, who knows.
  • Depends on whether you really want a retina display or not. The Air isn't getting one, but it's cheaper and slightly smaller/lighter.

It's a bizarre problem though. Have to do it occasionally.
That, coupled with some other things makes it feel like OS X is a little rougher around the edges under the hood than Win7. It is still the best laptop I have ever owned.
You mean that Win7 is rougher around the edges when using a rMBP. Yeah some things are a pain in the ass, I'm always struggling with nvidia driver settings that reset to default, I have to manually configure my HDMI out color settings and the 5.1 sound output practically every time I start Win7 up.

A co worker told me that Mac OSX 10 is sooooo fast that not shutting it down will have an affect on the computer.

My Macs only reboot for updates. Have to quit Safari once in a while since it's such a pig; I guess rebooting would fix that too.

Is there any problem with setting a computer speaker next to or on my new Mac mini? It has a solid-state drive so I think magnets should be safe but I'm not entirely sure.

It'll be fine.

Having some trouble with Bootcamp and Windows 8. I cant seem to get the full functionality of my rMBP's keyboard. None of the function keys work, I can't adjust brightness, volume or backlit keys. I've installed the bootcamp drivers and it made my trackpad work like it does in OSX, but the keyboard still doesn't want to cooperate.

I should also note that the icon for the bootcamp drivers (black diamond) doesn't show up in Windows 8. I don't know if it isn't launching correctly, or what but everything worked in Windows 7 before I upgraded.

edit: oh god I hope this is the right thread...

TUSR

Banned
Having some trouble with Bootcamp and Windows 8. I cant seem to get the full functionality of my rMBP's keyboard. None of the function keys work, I can't adjust brightness, volume or backlit keys. I've installed the bootcamp drivers and it made my trackpad work like it does in OSX, but the keyboard still doesn't want to cooperate.

I should also note that the icon for the bootcamp drivers (black diamond) doesn't show up in Windows 8. I don't know if it isn't launching correctly, or what but everything worked in Windows 7 before I upgraded.

edit: oh god I hope this is the right thread...

Sorta but not really, W8 isn't fully supported yet. Try holding the function key and hitting them

Chris R

$999 '12 13" MBA at Best Buy... so tempting to just upgrade from my '11 now (difference would just be like $300ish after I sold this one) instead of waiting for Haswell later this year.

But Haswell is going to be so good :( Argh!

Caesnd

I was just about ready to order an 21.5" Imac, but now I don't know. I was hoping to be able to add additional RAM by myself after the purchase, but now that's a no go.

They won't go back to a thicker build now, so I guess I'll just wait for them iron out the kinks with the whole concept before committing myself to a purchase.

Hopefully, SSD will become standard eventually as well.

RBH

bestbuysale.jpg

Best Buy is having a Winter Doorbuster Days sale on Friday, January 25 and Saturday, January 26, providing discounts on several products. Most notably, the retailer is offering $200 off on select MacBook Airs.

Both the 11-inch and 13-inch MacBook Air models are discounted, giving the entry level 11-inch Air with 4GB of RAM and a 64GB SSD a price tag of $799.99. The base model 13-inch MacBook Air, sporting 4GB of RAM and a 128GB SSD is $999.99.

Additional configurations with more storage space are also available, and the 13-inch MacBook Air with a 256GB SSD is $1299.99, while the 11-inch 128GB model is $899.99.

The sale is available both online and in stores, and while the 11-inch $799.99 variant is sold out online, it is possible that it is still available at retail locations.

Best Buy is also offering 30% off of all OtterBox cases and a free $20 gift card with the purchase of a 16GB iPod nano.
http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/25/best-buy-offers-200-off-macbook-airs-for-2-days/

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Man, 64GB is literally useless. Even 128 is cramped for me. 256GB or bust. Even with $300 more. If you're going 64GB, you are probably relying completely on cloud-based computing and have a small or non-existent physical music collection.

TUSR

Banned
Man, 64GB is literally useless. Even 128 is cramped for me. 256GB or bust. Even with $300 more. If you're going 64GB, you are probably relying completely on cloud-based computing and have a small or non-existent physical music collection.

64GB would tarnish the whole experience of owning a nice piece of technology. Having to budget megabytes of data would become frustrating.

dc89

I've been thinking of getting a MacBook Air for a while now. I have a 21.5" iMac as my man computer, so I'd either go for the 128GB 11" version or the entry level 13" version.

Just can't decide on what. I'm swaying towards the 11" model for portability but I hear the display on the 13" is a better resolution. Hmm.

Also will the new Haswell processors improve the Air's in a notable way?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
FUUUUUUU....that $999.00 13" Air is mighty tempting. I have been running an old 2007 Macbook and wanted to get a 27" iMac this year but funds are low since buying a house. Think a 13" Air will last me til next year? I am assuming the answer would be yes. I mainly just use Coda with some Adobe apps here and there.

Hey guys,

I'm currently using an old MacBook Pro as an HTPC. Works beautifully, except the end of the mag safe connector (the part that connects to the computer) is frayed. Is there a reliable place to get one besides Apple.com? It's kind of ridiculous how expensive they are. There are a bunch for sale on Amazon, but most of the reviews question the authenticity of them.

Emitan

Hey guys,

I'm currently using an old MacBook Pro as an HTPC. Works beautifully, except the end of the mag safe connector (the part that connects to the computer) is frayed. Is there a reliable place to get one besides Apple.com? It's kind of ridiculous how expensive they are. There are a bunch for sale on Amazon, but most of the reviews question the authenticity of them.

I got mine replaced for free at my Apple Store because the end was frayed because it is a common problem.

I got mine replaced for free at my Apple Store because the end was frayed because it is a common problem.

You just took the frayed charger in and they replaced it no questions asked? Mine's not under warranty anymore (at least I don't think so, I bought it used).

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

I took mine to a local Apple retailer and they said they didn't cover it because it was a common problem. I never wanted a local Apple Store more than I did then.

Emitan

You just took the frayed charger in and they replaced it no questions asked? Mine's not under warranty anymore (at least I don't think so, I bought it used).

My Mac is 4 years old. No warranty here either. I brought in the Mac and the charger, got a new charger free and had to buy a new battery (mine was almost dead).

My Mac is 4 years old. No warranty here either. I brought in the Mac and the charger, got a new charger free and had to buy a new battery (mine was almost dead).

Great. I'll try my luck at the Apple store near by. It baffles me that this is such a widespread problem and they have yet to alter the design.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Great. I'll try my luck at the Apple store near by. It baffles me that this is such a widespread problem and they have yet to alter the design.
They have altered it. They went back to the T shape. But they still haven't gone back to the rubber "fray preventer" ends like they used to have. Some moron in design at Apple decided they were ugly and decided form should precede function. I have countless iOS device and Mac plugs that are doing this. The worst was my MBP which I ended up wrapping the shit out of with electrical tape. However my 2007 white MacBook power adapter, which was the older T shape, is still fine. Hopefully that means the newer T shape ones on the MagSafe 2 plugs will stand up to time as well. As well as the Lightning plugs now that they can plug in either way.

They have altered it. They went back to the T shape. But they still haven't gone back to the rubber "fray preventer" ends like they used to have. Some moron in design at Apple decided they were ugly and decided form should precede function. I have countless iOS device and Mac plugs that are doing this. The worst was my MBP which I ended up wrapping the shit out of with electrical tape. However my 2007 white MacBook power adapter, which was the older T shape, is still fine. Hopefully that means the newer T shape ones on the MagSafe 2 plugs will stand up to time as well. As well as the Lightning plugs now that they can plug in either way.

My old G4 Ti Powerbook went through like 5 power adapters. Such shit lol.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I was just about ready to order an 21.5" Imac, but now I don't know. I was hoping to be able to add additional RAM by myself after the purchase, but now that's a no go.

They won't go back to a thicker build now, so I guess I'll just wait for them iron out the kinks with the whole concept before committing myself to a purchase.

You can add RAM yourself in the 27"

I went with a 27" mid-2011 refurb for just that reason. Cheaper and upgradeable. Yes, the new iMacs are very thin (at the edge), but you can't tell when you're sitting in front of it.

Caesnd

I went with a 27" mid-2011 refurb for just that reason. Cheaper and upgradeable. Yes, the new iMacs are very thin (at the edge), but you can't tell when you're sitting in front of it.

Absolutely. The new form factor is pretty useless to me, but I understand it's a no brainer for Apple as far marketing is concerned.

Still, even though I have managed to get by with my PC, I still like the idea of an all-in-one as well as OSX and Apples hardware in general, and there aren't many 21-22" monitors that can compete with Apples solution in that price class either.

Retina 15 users, some questions;

1) on various forums there are disheartening mentions of problems like ghosting, throttling, smc reset issues, as well as crackling speakers, high temperatures, and so on.

Have you been free of issues like this? Or is there some people who have been clear. After all, many reviews didn't mention things like LG display ghosting or bad termals or smc reset.

2 is gaming fine when you do it? under osx? under windows? have you experienced crashes or throttling slowing games to halt? or has it been fine?

3) are you happy with the machine. do you think you will continue to be happy with it for years to come?

1) on various forums there are disheartening mentions of problems like ghosting, throttling, smc reset issues, as well as crackling speakers, high temperatures, and so on.

Have you been free of issues like this? Or is there some people who have been clear. After all, many reviews didn't mention things like LG display ghosting or bad termals or smc reset.
I only recently noticed ghosting or screen burning on my MBPr, I will actually hand it in at the apple store this week, expecting them to exchange the screen without any hassle.

2 is gaming fine when you do it? under osx? under windows? have you experienced crashes or throttling slowing games to halt? or has it been fine?
I dont have bootcamp, but the steam games I have tried all work fine

3) are you happy with the machine. do you think you will continue to be happy with it for years to come?
i bloody well hope so, it was expensive enough ;)

LCfiner

1. have had no problems in a little over a week of ownership. I was worried about ghosting but I'm not affected. temperatures get as warm as other apple laptops when I push it (encoding video, flash video playback.) but it's quieter than other laptops when doing so.

2. can't say.

3. sure. but, then again, if you don't mind the extra weight, a regular 15" macbook pro with SSD would have met all my performance needs in the same way. I got the retina model for the great screen and the weight savings. The regular model would allow you to upgrade the RAM or hard drive in future years, if you need to.

Well,

I know for a fact that the power inside this machine is more than enough for my needs. I need something to carry me a long time into my studies. Buying this would be a 3-4 year investment for sure. I have no incentive upgrade, if it just works.

Good that you guys have not had issues. Or little. It seems that it would be wise to get apple care right? Im aware that apple care does not cover a new battery, but if I would get image retention or smc issues, I would be able to deliver it back, right? or is that just the first 30 days?

I recently lost my xbox, my main pc, and yeah, now im just stuck with my ultraportable pc, and it gets the job done in a pinch, I just want something real, a real work station.

Good that you guys have not had issues. Or little. It seems that it would be wise to get apple care right? Im aware that apple care does not cover a new battery, but if I would get image retention or smc issues, I would be able to deliver it back, right? or is that just the first 30 days?
I dont have Apple care, and am no fan of such services.
you have a year warranty whatever happens*, thats why I will return my MBPr with the ghosting display.

*not sure if that is international or not, at least here in Germany that is the case

muddream

Banned
Well,

I know for a fact that the power inside this machine is more than enough for my needs. I need something to carry me a long time into my studies. Buying this would be a 3-4 year investment for sure. I have no incentive upgrade, if it just works.

I recently lost my xbox, my main pc, and yeah, now im just stuck with my ultraportable pc, and it gets the job done in a pinch, I just want something real, a real work station.

A general Apple rule is to avoid 1st gen products, especially if they cost $2500. I'd wait until the summer.

Just an update on my partner's MacBook Pro (2010 13" 7,1) that I made a fusion drive in.

Trouble waking from sleep: doesn't wake up reliably. Apparently I should have remembered not to put the boot volume in the optical bay. I've disabled hibernate to see if that's an easy fix, otherwise I'll swap the SSD and HDD in the future.

No recovery partition (required for Find My Mac): I should have made a recovery partition on the SSD or HDD first, but I have found instructions for making a recovery partition after the fact but haven't attempted it yet.

Unrelated to the Fusion Drive, this Mac seems to have every 10.8 related beachball issue ever reported. Despite being a clean 10.8.2 install, I used Migration Assistant to restore from a back up of the 10.6 > 10.7 > 10.8 OS originally on the HDD. The old install was also plagued with beachballs which was the impetus for the SSD. Premature optimization. I have:
  • disabled apache (kept failing to start, not sure why it was even on)
  • deleted afpstats launchd plist
  • fixed the spotlight/sandbox problem
  • deleted MRTAgent and associated launchd plists (the anti-malware in 10.6)
Every beachball event spewed hundreds of lines related to one of the above in the console. The beachballs grew less and less frequent with each, and I hope I have it all cleaned up now.

I have had none of these problems on my other 10.8 Macs which were also upgrade installs (though only from 10.7). An argument in favour of a clean install, which I have previously described as 'utterly pointless'. I will amend that to 'mostly pointless'.

AppleCare covers the battery so long as it's manufacturing defect. If it goes belly up after the normal number of cycles (1000?) you're definitely not covered.

1) I haven't had any of those problems yet, and I've had my machine since a few weeks after launch in June.

2) I installed Windows 7 as a Bootcamp partition and it works great for games. I can play something like Borderlands 2 and it runs really well, the only thing is that it causes the fans to run all the time so the laptop can get a little loud.

3) I'm planning on being happy with it for years. It was quite expensive and it is my first Mac. I love tech, and buy a lot of new technology when it comes out, but I'm not one that can justify spending $2000+ on the latest rMBP every year. The only way I could see myself doing it is if I could cover a huge portion of upgrading by selling my current machine.

Waaghals

You mean that Win7 is rougher around the edges when using a rMBP. Yeah some things are a pain in the ass, I'm always struggling with nvidia driver settings that reset to default, I have to manually configure my HDMI out color settings and the 5.1 sound output practically every time I start Win7 up.

I mean I feel that OS X is less technically polished than Win7. I have had more minor problems with OSX than with the windows 7 pc's I've had. I had to reset PMC (is that what it is called?) once as well since connecting the MB to a plasma tv changed the aspect ratio to 5:4. connecting an external HDD to the computer while being on the OS select screen causes the system to crash. The SMC issues etc.

They were all related to me doing something I probably shouldn't but still.

In terms of usability I consider OSX to be superior, and it's not a big deal anyway.

TUSR

Banned

Sometimes W7 on the rMBP likes to think it keeps re installing my audio drivers. Its rough around the edges running on the rMBP. There is even the slightest delay typing on the login screen. Never had an issue with display settings though.

I mean I feel that OS X is less technically polished than Win7. I have had more minor problems with OSX than with the windows 7 pc's I've had. I had to reset PMC (is that what it is called?) once as well since connecting the MB to a plasma tv changed the aspect ratio to 5:4. connecting an external HDD to the computer while being on the OS select screen causes the system to crash. The SMC issues etc.

They were all related to me doing something I probably shouldn't but still.

In terms of usability I consider OSX to be superior, and it's not a big deal anyway.

Sounds like you have a lot of odd problems with your MB.

3) I'm planning on being happy with it for years. It was quite expensive and it is my first Mac. I love tech, and buy a lot of new technology when it comes out, but I'm not one that can justify spending $2000+ on the latest rMBP every year. The only way I could see myself doing it is if I could cover a huge portion of upgrading by selling my current machine.

Haswell will be a decent upgrade if you have a Sandy Bridge or older MBP in my opinion. You will not need to upgrade your computer as I see it (unless you want to) because the process is still 22nm and it is not known what discrete graphics will go into the next 15" rMBP. If you bought one in 2012, consider buying one next year when Intel goes down to a 14nm process.

Top Bottom