• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

TUSR

Banned
i currently have the 2012 13" MBP but i definitely think im gonna go for this years retina. anyone that went from 13" to 15", is the physical size a big increase? im not really concerned about the weight.

the combination of the trackpad and keyboard has made it a pure joy to use and its feels a lot more comfortable than staring at my monitor, despite the significantly smaller resolution. the extra retina pixels will make it the perfect machine for work.

15" retina is thinner.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
pros > cons
Yep. Also, that "significantly smaller resolution" is not really a problem since the Retina computers can go higher than their default resolution. You can still set your 15" or even 13" Retina to something like 1680x1050 if you want. And the 2013 models will probably be better at handling it too.

JayDub

I want to use my external Super Drive on my friend's PC, will it work?

Specifically, he's building a new PC and doesnt want to buy a optical drive..will the Super Drive work to boot the Windows 7 DVD?

mil6es

I have just purchased a mid spec i7 mac mini and I have one huge issue with it just after 24 hours of use, the white balance is crazy!!!!! all the whites on my monitor look ever exposed and washed out, is there a fix for this???

Guess Who

Banned
I have just purchased a mid spec i7 mac mini and I have one huge issue with it just after 24 hours of use, the white balance is crazy!!!!! all the whites on my monitor look ever exposed and washed out, is there a fix for this???

System Preferences -> Displays -> Color -> Calibrate. Might need to use Expert Mode. Could also test out the different pre-installed profiles to see if they work with your monitor.

mil6es

System Preferences -> Displays -> Color -> Calibrate. Might need to use Expert Mode. Could also test out the different pre-installed profiles to see if they work with your monitor.

false alarm, switched my HDMI to HDMI cable to the HDMI to DVI adaptor combo and instant and significant improvement :D

nel e nel

Hey MacGAF,

I'm looking at upgrading the RAM on my black Macbook. What are the preferred sites for getting 3rd party Mac RAM nowadays? I used RamJet back in the day, but I'm seeing that Crucial and OWC seem to have much better prices for the same kits.

Thanks!

kennah

Doesn't really matter, just get it where you can find it cheapest. Also note that the max your computer will take is 2x2GB DDR2 667. It might be hard to find and fairly expensive. DDR2 800 will work, but your computer might be grumpy about it.

nel e nel

Doesn't really matter, just get it where you can find it cheapest. Also note that the max your computer will take is 2x2GB DDR2 667. It might be hard to find and fairly expensive. DDR2 800 will work, but your computer might be grumpy about it.

Yeah, I knew about the 2x2GB limit, and it's actually fairly cheap. OWC and Crucial have kits for under $60. Ramjet is more expensive - closer to $100 - but they also have a trade-in rebate program.

EDIT: ugh, the buyback prices on Ramjet are turrible.

nel e nel

Not cheap compared to DDR3 ;) I'd go with crucial myself.

Yeah, you're always going to pay a bit more for parts that are for discontinued models, but upgrading my current laptop which we primarily use for emails and websurfing is much cheaper than a whole new laptop.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yep. Also, that "significantly smaller resolution" is not really a problem since the Retina computers can go higher than their default resolution. You can still set your 15" or even 13" Retina to something like 1680x1050 if you want. And the 2013 models will probably be better at handling it too.
Up to 1920x1080 on 15". I use that res for work sometimes, it's great.

kennah

Yeah, you're always going to pay a bit more for parts that are for discontinued models, but upgrading my current laptop which we primarily use for emails and websurfing is much cheaper than a whole new laptop.

Get a Magic Trackpad. It makes the whole thing feel new again (if you're running Lion)

nel e nel

Get a Magic Trackpad. It makes the whole thing feel new again (if you're running Lion)

I'm still running 10.5 at the moment. Just got 10.6 in the mail which is why I want to upgrade the RAM. And we move the laptop around too for a peripheral to be worthwhile.

Hey MacGAF,

I'm looking at upgrading the RAM on my black Macbook. What are the preferred sites for getting 3rd party Mac RAM nowadays? I used RamJet back in the day, but I'm seeing that Crucial and OWC seem to have much better prices for the same kits.

Thanks!

Ramjet and Data Memory Systems sell Samsung Factory Original RAM which is only reason to pay a premium if you so choose. I have not used Crucial but have heard good things. They are a subsidiary of Micron and I believe Apple uses them now since I saw a picture of Elpida RAM in a Mac mini and Elpida was bought by Micron.

caramac

So, March is fast approaching which is when the 1 year warranty runs out on my mid 2011 27" iMac.

Applecare, I assume this would be a good move?

i currently have the 2012 13" MBP but i definitely think im gonna go for this years retina. anyone that went from 13" to 15", is the physical size a big increase? im not really concerned about the weight.

the combination of the trackpad and keyboard has made it a pure joy to use and its feels a lot more comfortable than staring at my monitor, despite the significantly smaller resolution. the extra retina pixels will make it the perfect machine for work.

your getting rid of a 1 year old laptop?

I have a 2010 13" MBP and getting this years 15" retina and I thought I was pushing it

kaskade

I think I'm definitely going to start saving up for a new laptop. Not sure which direction I want to go yet though. I have an mid 09 13" MBP right now. I'm kind of leaning toward the air but I've heard rumors that they might make all the pro models retina in turn bringing the price down. That's pretty enticing to me. My baby served me well for 4 years.

JavyOO7

I think I'm finally getting a Mac laptop this year, probably being MBP 15 inch and the best model. I'm just scared that the OS will still have Wi fi issues as before. I guess it doesn't play nice with 2.5 ghz/5 ghz dual band router?

Oh well. Can't wait to see when their new models come out later in the year...

I think I'm definitely going to start saving up for a new laptop. Not sure which direction I want to go yet though. I have an mid 09 13" MBP right now. I'm kind of leaning toward the air but I've heard rumors that they might make all the pro models retina in turn bringing the price down. That's pretty enticing to me. My baby served me well for 4 years.

3 years deep and my 13" 2010 MBP is still serving me well, after I updated it to an SSD and 8GB RAM the speed boost was so dramatic it felt like a new machine. My girlfriend will be getting a nice machine in 5-6 months.

kaskade

3 years deep and my 13" 2010 MBP is still serving me well, after I updated it to an SSD and 8GB RAM the speed boost was so dramatic it felt like a new machine. My girlfriend will be getting a nice machine in 5-6 months.

Yeah, I upgraded my ram as well. I was thinking of doing the trick where you put a second drive in the place of the optical drive. Which most likely would have been an SSD but I figure I'll just put that money towards a new machine. I need a new battery as well.

buhdeh

Welp, getting a 13" MBA today. Been exclusively on Windows since having the original single core white MacBook (Tiger) and the pre-Pro aluminum MacBook (Leopard). Excited to see what's changed.

This is what a historically accurate analyst is predicting:

kuo_2013_apple_roadmap.jpg

The "new design retina macbook pro" is supposed to be a slightly redesigned retina MBP along with a discontinuation of the non-retina MBPs.
The MBAs are supposed to have no changes other than haswell chips.
The ipad mini 2 is supposed to be retina.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
This is what a historically accurate analyst is predicting:

kuo_2013_apple_roadmap.jpg

The "new design retina macbook pro" is supposed to be a slightly redesigned retina MBP along with a discontinuation of the non-retina MBPs.
The MBAs are supposed to have no changes other than haswell chips.
The ipad mini 2 is supposed to be retina.

Think we will see a new Thunderbolt Display in Q1 or Q2?

Who knows but it seems natural that they'd update it with USB 3.0 ports and the thinner, new-imac style construction. Maybe yields are still too low on the imac to shift some production over to the thunderbolt display.

Well, I just spent a wonderful workday evening screwing up my iMac.

I had wanted to grow my Bootcamp partition size, so I found some tutorial that suggested I use winclone to copy the Bootcamp partition image, use Disk Utility to delete the partition, and then create a new partition. Well, it all crapped out around deleting the old Bootcamp partition. I was left with a giant chunk of free space, and the inability to remove or create any new partitions.

So, I tried to repair the volume, several times, from both within the mounted drive and from within the recovery partition. Nothing worked. It said it was fixed, but nothing was done. In order to get back my free space, I'm going to have to format the entire drive, restore with Time Machine, and then reinstall Windows; I'm not even going to bother with that winclone image at this point.

Two questions:

How long will it take to do a restore of Time Machine using a WD USB 2.0 drive that is restoring roughly 500 GB of data? Also, since I'm doing a wipe of the entire drive, any programs installed for all users will be lost, or does that carry over as well? Only stuff in the home folder, correct?

Secondly, I've never installed Windows twice; will I have a problem with my license key being used again on seemingly different hardware? (i.e., a bigger hard drive).

oatmeal

Banned
Fucking Christ...

My 2011 Macbook Pro is pissing me off lately. Freezes CONSTANTLY...I think it might just be Safari because it seems like it happens the most when I use it. My wife uses Chrome (I'm using Chrome right now) and never has any issue.

I've googled it and there seems to be a lot of people complaining about freezes...all with different reasons.

I thought it was my hard drive, so I put in a 256 Samsung 830, still happens. Thought it was Mountain Lion so i went back to Lion. Still Happens. Thought it was my RAM, so I took out the stock 4GB and put in 16GB...still happens.

Going to see if I can stay off Safari and see how it works...hopefully it's better...it's incredibly frustrating to have to force power down (even though it only takes about 7 seconds) every 10-15 minutes.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
done with PC's for a while. gonna jump on the MPB train with the latest set of refreshes... looking forward to asking yall a bunch of dumb questions.

like how to get W7 on a separate boot so i can play the stuff i bought off Steam

done with PC's for a while. gonna jump on the MPB train with the latest set of refreshes... looking forward to asking yall a bunch of dumb questions.

like how to get W7 on a separate boot so i can play the stuff i bought off Steam
Bootcamp will make you a very happy person.

Oh a BMP.

Edit: I'm just messing with you because it's MBP, MacBook Pro

And yeah it'll play all the good shit. BF3, Dishonored, Borderlands 2, DmC all at 60FPS

You just need a copy of Windows 7 (preferably ultimate) and then open Boot Camp and it'll walk you through installation. You may want to get an external drive for Steam games.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
woops, didn't even realize i was screwing the acronym up. i'm pretty pumped, my (amazing) girl nearly bought me one for valentine's day but i told her i'll pay for one myself come the refresh... can't have her getting me all these nice things if i can't afford a fat ring yet.

those games sound awesome, but honestly i'm just in it for the point n click adventure games. the rest i play on superior master console race something something something.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

Heck yeah it will. Though BootCamp only works with Windows 7 for now with no idea when official Windows 8 drivers will come along. Though for some people (Like me) that's all fine and dandy. But the convenience of being able to use the OS you love, but still have access to all your games without requiring a secondary computer, as well as the awesomeness of Steam and its cross-platform, cross-machine abilities is pure heaven. Add in Parallels for the ability to also boot up that Windows while still in OS X and it's perfection.

paile

Banned

There's also hackintosh if you want to go in the other direction. Takes a bit of effort to set up though. I dual boot Mac OSX Mountain Lion and Windows 7 on a four year old PC although I rarely leave OSX. Only reason would be games.

buhdeh

Just got a 13" MBA. Good god the calendar app is ugly... what the fuck?! The page flipping animation just seals the deal, lmao.

There's also hackintosh if you want to go in the other direction. Takes a bit of effort to set up though. I dual boot Mac OSX Mountain Lion and Windows 7 on a four year old PC although I rarely leave OSX. Only reason would be games.

I'm seriously considering a Hackintosh. I do a bit of video work and my 2010 MBP is straining. A 1000$ Hackintosh versus a 2999$ RMBP? Ehh..

Quick

Banned
If I had the money, I'd totally do a Hackintosh desktop.

Is it any easier to install now than a couple of years ago? The only guide I've seen for it (ever) is on Lifehacker.

paile

Banned
If I had the money, I'd totally do a Hackintosh desktop.

Is it any easier to install now than a couple of years ago? The only guide I've seen for it (ever) is on Lifehacker.

Yup, it is. There are guides all over the place. Dual booting with Windows can be more tricky but is entirely doable and there are plenty of guides for that too.

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-install-os-x-mountain-lion-hackintosh-on-a-pc-tutorial/

If you check to see which PC hardware is most compatible with a hackintosh setup you're less likely to run into problems.

I was looking into getting a mac so I could code iPhone/iPad apps, but decided set up a hackintosh instead to save money. I was able to install xcode and have since made a game I put up on the app store. Works pretty much like a real mac.

Top Bottom