• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Tekniqs

seems like adding the period at the start of the filename will be the easiest. is there a simple way to make them visible again when you do need them?
PC's hide/unhide seems so much simpler

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
seems like adding the period at the start of the filename will be the easiest. is there a simple way to make them visible again when you do need them?
PC's hide/unhide seems so much simpler
You have to remove the period. But you'll have to actually get to the folder to do that.

Why do you need to do this?

chflags is easier:

To hide:
chflags hidden /Path/To/File.ext

To show:
chflags nohidden /Path/To/File.ext

In Terminal.

Make an alias. In Finder, Go > Library (hold option), then drag the Library folder's window-title-bar icon to your home folder with cmd-opt held down.
Nevermind. I just discovered that my Library is not hidden, but for some reason the Dock is treating it as hidden:
iJmlQFKpgXltJ.png
Apparently it was a cache feature because I fixed it by dragging the Home folder out of the Dock and putting it back. That is weird, and I'm glad it wasn't a real problem. chflags still works!

jts

...hate me...
I'm depressed. My Magsafe is crapping out on me slowly.

Most of the times it won't light up, but then it's kinda like a car. It works while I keep it running. But also like a car, sometimes it stops working without doing anything, the cable doesn't get touched at all and it dies.

My warranty is gone by now ('10 MBP). Probably going to get a 2nd one. 3rd parties are a no-no, right?

Even if I get to fix this one (been watching some videos), then I'll have the fabled 2nd charger, one for home, one for work. That's the life.

Can someone help me out?

I have a 2006 Mac mini, and I believe the disc drive has died. It is not recognized by the OS, as when I go into System Profiler, it says I don't have any burning devices. I currently have a DVD stuck in there, and no combination of key commands can get it out.

Is there a good external drive I can get that will work with it? Or should I swap it out for another SuperDrive?

Oh, and it is old enough that I am not able to upgrade to Mountain Lion. :(

Tekniqs

You have to remove the period. But you'll have to actually get to the folder to do that.

Why do you need to do this?

chflags is easier:

To hide:
chflags hidden /Path/To/File.ext

To show:
chflags nohidden /Path/To/File.ext

In Terminal.

Nevermind. I just discovered that my Library is not hidden, but for some reason the Dock is treating it as hidden:

Apparently it was a cache feature because I fixed it by dragging the Home folder out of the Dock and putting it back. That is weird, and I'm glad it wasn't a real problem. chflags still works!

chflags it is! will learn this shit eventually haha!

Bursh

My cat knocked over my 15" Retina and cracked the screen. At first, it was only in the bottom right corner and while an unsightly blemish, it wasn't anything that got in the way of regular use. Still, I went the next day to the apple store and tried to get it replaced/fixed. I have AppleCare but they told me that this sort of thing is not covered and that I'd need to drop $750 to get the screen fixed. I left.

Today the screen has been freaking out and it's become entirely unusable. I'm trying to figure out a way to get it fixed without having to spend a bunch of money. It's a real bummer to open up that hot ass computer and see the screen in shambles.

Also, fuck my cat.

Iacobellis

My cat knocked over my 15" Retina and cracked the screen. At first, it was only in the bottom right corner and while an unsightly blemish, it wasn't anything that got in the way of regular use. Still, I went the next day to the apple store and tried to get it replaced/fixed. I have AppleCare but they told me that this sort of thing is not covered and that I'd need to drop $750 to get the screen fixed. I left.

Today the screen has been freaking out and it's become entirely unusable. I'm trying to figure out a way to get it fixed without having to spend a bunch of money. It's a real bummer to open up that hot ass computer and see the screen in shambles.

Also, fuck my cat.

AppleCare doesn't cover it? I realize the screen isn't cheap, but every repair I've had done on my previous MBP were covered. And they were all accidental damages.

Bursh

AppleCare doesn't cover it? I realize the screen isn't cheap, but every repair I've had done on my previous MBP were covered. And they were all accidental damages.
They said since its accidental that its not covered. Only manufacturing failures will be replaced free of charge. When the guy told me they wouldn't do it for free I asked, "so, uh, why did I get AppleCare then."

Did you go in-store to fix it or did they ship a box out to you?

Iacobellis

They said since its accidental that its not covered. Only manufacturing failures will be replaced free of charge. When the guy told me they wouldn't do it for free I asked, "so, uh, why did I get AppleCare then."

Did you go in-store to fix it or did they ship a box out to you?

Went to the store. First time, the trackpad was acting up. I think it might have been some water that caused it. Second occurrence, my hard drive died mainly out of my own rage.

Do you have another store near you? I think it's pretty bad that you spent (assuming you're from the US) $2,199+ on the computer, $350 on the warranty, and now they want $750 to get you a new screen.

Bursh

Went to the store. First time, the trackpad was acting up. I think it might have been some water that caused it. Second occurrence, my hard drive died mainly out of my own rage.

Do you have another store near you? I think it's pretty bad that you spent (assuming you're from the US) $2,199+ on the computer, $350 on the warranty, and now they want $750 to get you a new screen.

Damn right. I already gave them plenty of my money.

I have an appointment at the store tomorrow so hopefully I get somebody that'll just be cool about it. I'm pretty dumbfounded as to why I can't just get a replacement and leave it at that. Ugh

GWX

Guys, I need help... I bought an AirPort Express this week, and I'm using it as a wireless access point and an AirPlay station by connecting it to my 2.1 Logitech speakers. I stream music from iTunes in my old netbook. Sometimes, iTunes loses connection to the AirPort Express, interrupting music playback, and the AirPort doesn't show up as a remote speaker anymore unless I restart iTunes. The internet told me IPv6 could get in the way, so I disabled it in my computer. My Apple TV and my iOS devices don't lose connection to the AirPort, weirdly, so it has to be a problem with iTunes. What to do? :(

Tekniqs

downloaded avast..hopefully it works great!

since my macbook was bought used, the ilife (photo/movie) is tied to their account and I can't download it. Is it worth buying? I mainly need imovie to do basic video editing. any alternatives to iphoto that you guys recommend?

moka

downloaded avast..hopefully it works great!

since my macbook was bought used, the ilife (photo/movie) is tied to their account and I can't download it. Is it worth buying? I mainly need imovie to do basic video editing. any alternatives to iphoto that you guys recommend?

iMovie is pretty great for basic and even some advanced video editing, iLife is also pretty cheap so yeah, I'd recommend it.

Aperture is an alternative to iPhoto.

Ambitious

Out of curiosity, how long does it usually take to get a replacement Mac with a custom configuration or having a repair done in the US?

I just brought my rMBP (2.6/512/16) to the closest service provider (no Apple Stores in my country) because of ghosting issues, and they told me they'd have to send it in and I would have to wait 4 to 5 working days. Which sucks because of the public holidays this Friday and next Monday.

Out of curiosity, how long does it usually take to get a replacement Mac with a custom configuration or having a repair done in the US?

I just brought my rMBP (2.6/512/16) to the closest service provider (no Apple Stores in my country) because of ghosting issues, and they told me they'd have to send it in and I would have to wait 4 to 5 working days. Which sucks because of the public holidays this Friday and next Monday.

I dropped mine off for repairs this past Monday and it was ready for me to pick up Friday. I don't have a custom config though, just the base 15" retina. They had to replace the logic board and speakers in mine, not sure why they failed after 9 months.

Gila

What do you guys use as an external optical drive? Looking to get one with Blu-Ray compatibilities. The SuperDrive looks nice but I need more than just CD/DVD Burning

So I received my late 2012 27" imac yesterday.

First thing I do is watch MGS V trailer, 1080p, in fullscreen from YT : can't watch because of huge screen tearing.

No tearing in normal mode.

Is this because of chrome + Youtube ? How can I fix this ? I'm a little... mad, knowing this is a 2k bucks computer.

caramac

First thing I do is watch MGS V trailer, 1080p, in fullscreen from YT : can't watch because of huge screen tearing.

Is this because of chrome + Youtube ? How can I fix this ? I'm a little... mad, knowing this is a 2k bucks computer.

Doubt if its your iMac, just watched the trailer on my mid 2011 27" via Firefox at 1080p ....no issues.

Deku Tree

I just hope that they'll update the thunderbolt display soon. Really want one with the new imac form factor.

They really seem to be dragging their feet on that one...

There has been a rumored major Mac Pro update in the works for 2013. Perhaps they will update the TB display at the same time as that...

Apple dragging their feet on this forced me to buy a Dell 27" USB 3.0 IPS-LCD monitor instead...

fireside

I see dropped frames in Chrome with Flash, but no screen tearing. I don't see any problems in Safari with the Youtube5 extension. Not even a $2,000 computer can fix Flash!

I want one of those. How is the fan noise?

I can hear the fan spinning when it's quiet, but I guess that's par for the course (and/or I have good hearing). The fan has revved up a few times for me, it's like a whooshing noise.

Quick question:

Getting a 27inch Thunderbolt display at work along with the wireless keyboard. I have the magic mouse already.

Will I be able to close the lid on the MBPr and use the Thunderbolt on my primary display along with wireless kb and mouse for input?

TUSR

Banned
Quick question:

Getting a 27inch Thunderbolt display at work along with the wireless keyboard. I have the magic mouse already.

Will I be able to close the lid on the MBPr and use the Thunderbolt on my primary display along with wireless kb and mouse for input?

yes

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Why is Mac app store telling me to get the update for an app I've never downloaded before.
I'm an idiot, this was on a different user account.

Kjellson

You know the sound the computer does when you change the volume? For some reason I can't hear that anymore and it's frustrating. Anyone know what the problem might be?

Edit: Well, it's working now when I restarted the computer.

You know the sound the computer does when you change the volume? For some reason I can't hear that anymore and it's frustrating. Anyone know what the problem might be?

Edit: Well, it's working now when I restarted the computer.

Probably a CoreAudio glitch (can quit 'coreaudiod' in Activity monitor and it will restart).

FYI, you can toggle if the sound plays in the Sound prefs. Holding shift will make it work the other way as you adjust the volume.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So I'm working on potentially setting one of the VP s at the company I work up with a Macbook Pro and have a question or two.

He wants the 15" Retina pro, are there any solid docking stations that exist for it? The only decent one I have found is made by Matrox.

Also, if we were to bootcamp Windows 7 on it all Windows software would work exactly like if it were running on PC hardware correct? Thinking of software like security stuff and back-up.

Finally, if he utilized OSX and something happened to the computer is there software that exists that allows you to back-up all that information and get it running on a Windows PC? Or would that only work if here were running boot camp?

So i got my 27inch thunderbolt hooked up. Works great in OSX but Parallels resolutions is wonky until you reboot the VM. Anyone else got a workaround for this?

I'm looking for a bag, probably a messenger bag for my 15" rMBP. I need space for the laptop, external hard drive, mouse, and a few other small accessories. It would be nice if there was also storage for an iPad and some headphones. I saw a Thule bag on Amazon that seemed decent, but some people complained about the lack of storage. Any help you guys could give me would be nice. I'd say I'm willing to spend about $130. Thanks in advance.

corn_fest

Has anyone gone from MBP to iMac and have any input on it?
I like my rMBP, but I feel silly leaving it on my desk 99% of the time when I could have gotten a much more powerful desktop.

Didn't want to make a new thread for this, so here I am :).

Anyway, I want to make a Numbers spreadsheet for the games I've purchased in 2013. It's my first time using Numbers (or any spreadsheet program really), so I have a hard time figuring this thing out.

This is what I have so far:

G2sJg3W.png

As you can see I'm trying to make an overview with the pie chart for how much money I've (relatively) spent per platform. Now, the problem is that I can't figure out for the life of me how to let the program count the PSP category as one. As you can see in the above image, the program counts it as seperate platforms. Labeling them doesn't make any difference, neither does changing its fill color.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

rc213

So I just jumped on a iMac 27", This thing is ginormous.

Anything I should know/avoid for a new user?

I got a 3TB HDD as I would like to set aside 1TB for Windows 7 Pro for applications I need for work. So I guess I need to figure that out and I would like a DVD-+RW. I saw the Apple SuperDrive but I thought I woud check to see if I could pick up a USB Blu-Ray reader plus DVD-+RW? Any suggestions or known models that work well.

Any tips, apps, guides, etc... Lay it on me!

VPhys

Is there a device that lets me do a "wireless" HDMI out From my retina MacBook Pro to a TV. Apple TV does this with ios devices, but I don't see it doing it for Mac OSx. Windows computers also have this with what I believe is widi technology.

Top Bottom