• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
I highly advise against this model. It just provides terrible value all around. Resale will also be bad. Either get the 13" air or the base rMBP.

Why not get a portable external hard drive.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006Y5UV4A/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Ok, I took your advice (and other peoples') and went with the retina display. However, I had my parents order it because my post office sucks and they surprised me by getting me:

13 inch Macbook Pro w/ Retina display
2.8GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
8GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
128GB PCIe-based Flash Storage

0_o

umm, what should I do with all that extra power? I feel like I should get into video editing or something...

Erasing Disk: 0%...
Error erasing disk error number (-69888, 0)
A error occurred erasing the disk.

Anyone have any suggestions on fixing the above when trying to make a usb boot disk. Have tried multiple drives/google attempts and nothing. Running 10.8.5 if that helps.

Water

Ok, I took your advice (and other peoples') and went with the retina display. However, I had my parents order it because my post office sucks and they surprised me by getting me:

13 inch Macbook Pro w/ Retina display
2.8GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
8GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
128GB PCIe-based Flash Storage

0_o

umm, what should I do with all that extra power? I feel like I should get into video editing or something...
Congrats on the new machine!
It's actually not much faster with a processor upgrade, but it doesn't hurt. Since the 13" rMBP has only integrated graphics, the upgraded processor also means a slight bump in graphics performance, which helps given the huge resolution.

I'd usually recommend putting any extra cash towards more SSD. Not just for more storage; SSD gets a lot faster as you have more of it. Also note that SSD stays faster and wears slower if you have more empty space. If you can, keep something like 20% of the disk free, not fill it to the brim.

jts

...hate me...
My father is not a computer guy. He's an iPad guy. But sometimes even he feels some frustration due to the iPad's limitations.

Anyway, last night we ordered a MacBook Air for him (I picked, he paid, lol). It's his first Mac. Stuff like iCloud sealed the deal but also he always had lousy experiences with PCs... and in a way it's good for him to buy a computer that's a little bit more expensive so he can commit a bit harder on learning his way around it. To the point though:

The config is 11" i5 4GB 256GB

Does anyone have experience with this config (or parts of it)? Is the i5 too tiny in its performance? Is the 11" MBA too cramped to work on? Are 4GB to worry about, going forward?

Water

Does anyone have experience with this config (or parts of it)? Is the i5 too tiny in its performance? Is the 11" MBA too cramped to work on? Are 4GB to worry about, going forward?
For basic use, 4GB is enough and the i5 is more than enough. The 11" size has a full-size keyboard and trackpad, so it is not cramped on the input side, but the screen is pretty small for tasks that go beyond casual web browsing and email writing. If he ends up spending a decent amount of time at the desk, I would seriously consider supplementing the 11" MBA with an external display, keyboard and mouse (or Magic Trackpad if he's so inclined). Compared to the 13", the 11" model takes a serious hit to mobile productivity from the display size and resolution and the gain is essentially just that it fits in smaller bags. Most people should buy the 13", which is still a very portable machine and doesn't weigh much more either.

Deku Tree

My father is not a computer guy. He's an iPad guy. But sometimes even he feels some frustration due to the iPad's limitations.

Anyway, last night we ordered a MacBook Air for him (I picked, he paid, lol). It's his first Mac. Stuff like iCloud sealed the deal but also he always had lousy experiences with PCs... and in a way it's good for him to buy a computer that's a little bit more expensive so he can commit a bit harder on learning his way around it. To the point though:

The config is 11" i5 4GB 256GB

1) The i5 is not too tiny depending upon your needs. For basic usual stuff it is just fine.

2) I find the 11" screen just fine to work on for normal things. It is not at all too cramped. But when I want to do serious writing for work my favorite thing to do is use my 27" Dell monitor. It is much better.

3) I always max out the ram when I buy a non-user upgradable Mac computer these days. For longevities sake having the extra ram makes a big difference. Paying the Apple RAM tax (which is much smaller than it used to be) is worth it and saves you money in the long run.

jts

...hate me...
Cool input, guys. My father will use it mostly for iWork, Mail, Filemaker, and extremely light photo/video (from the iDevices) storage and management. About the size, he's one of those people for whom portability is a huuuge issue. I could see him leave a 13" MBA at home more often.

Anyway, although it's not mine, I'm kinda excited. My 2010 13" MBP with a C2D inside will probably feel pre-historic and I'll be so jelly.

RoKKeR

Ok guys, my 2010 MPR has been really, REALLY struggling the past few days and I'm not sure what it is. It definitely helps after a hard reset and really only is ok with just a few applications open. One thing I've noticed is that my HDD is filling up, but I seem to have 90GB of mystery videos on my computer.

I honest to God have no idea what or where this 90GB of video content is but I'd certainly like to clear it away. I've deleted all local iTunes shows/movies, gone through the Finder to look for things, got rid of iMovie projects, etc., all to no avail. Any thoughts on where to look?

Hey guys,

Is there any way to "turn off" the retina images on the scaled resolution of the rMBP? All of my images are coming out blurry, especially on Safari.

I guess its not a "true" 1920 x 1200 resolution huh?

So far, when hooked up to an external display, the rMBP is the best computer I have ever used. But on the laptop, its been pretty annoying for design work. I'd say most of the fault goes to Adobe for not properly updating Photoshop for it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Hey guys,

Is there any way to "turn off" the retina images on the scaled resolution of the rMBP? All of my images are coming out blurry, especially on Safari.

I guess its not a "true" 1920 x 1200 resolution huh?

So far, when hooked up to an external display, the rMBP is the best computer I have ever used. But on the laptop, its been pretty annoying for design work. I'd say most of the fault goes to Adobe for not properly updating Photoshop for it.
Hmm. Well, the way it works, not really. Unless you run your machine at the maximum resolution of 2880x1800 or 2560x1600 (Depending on your machine size). But if you want to play around, Google an app called "QuickRes". It lets you set your resolution to anything the machine will handle, including ones higher than the maximum resolution (Even non-Retina machines), and will let you set your machine to use the HiDPI version of 1920x1200 or the normal one with everything at 1x. But remember, it's just going to look worse at that. Anything that's not normal scale is going to end up being blurry.

Are you on a version of PhotoShop that supports Retina? (I guess only like the most recent version does. I still have CS3 which will never support it.) If you do, you'll still have to run your machine at "Best for Retina" in order to have it look good enough. (Which unfortunately means 1280x800 or 1440x900 which is so tiny for these machines.)

Retina is awesome. But the entire world hasn't caught up yet. It'l take time. And thankfully, pushes from companies like Google with the Pixel and others are helping to move progress forward. But until then, you just have to live with the occasional blurry image. (I've noticed a lot of tech blogs will embed large versions of their images into their articles so they end up looking crisp no matter how much you zoom. So that's a start. But then the rest of their UI is still 1x and looks bad. Bah. Even the high profile sites. Like ArsTechnica and Anandtech. For shame!) NeoGAF is really nice. Except for avatars. Of course the only way to fix that would be to allow 2x sized avatar uploads while still shrinking them down 50%. But that would mean 4x bandwidth for each one.

Hmm. Well, the way it works, not really. Unless you run your machine at the maximum resolution of 2880x1800 or 2560x1600 (Depending on your machine size). But if you want to play around, Google an app called "QuickRes". It lets you set your resolution to anything the machine will handle, including ones higher than the maximum resolution (Even non-Retina machines), and will let you set your machine to use the HiDPI version of 1920x1200 or the normal one with everything at 1x. But remember, it's just going to look worse at that. Anything that's not normal scale is going to end up being blurry.

Are you on a version of PhotoShop that supports Retina? (I guess only like the most recent version does. I still have CS3 which will never support it.) If you do, you'll still have to run your machine at "Best for Retina" in order to have it look good enough. (Which unfortunately means 1280x800 or 1440x900 which is so tiny for these machines.)

Retina is awesome. But the entire world hasn't caught up yet. It'l take time. And thankfully, pushes from companies like Google with the Pixel and others are helping to move progress forward. But until then, you just have to live with the occasional blurry image. (I've noticed a lot of tech blogs will embed large versions of their images into their articles so they end up looking crisp no matter how much you zoom. So that's a start. But then the rest of their UI is still 1x and looks bad. Bah. Even the high profile sites. Like ArsTechnica and Anandtech. For shame!) NeoGAF is really nice. Except for avatars. Of course the only way to fix that would be to allow 2x sized avatar uploads while still shrinking them down 50%. But that would mean 4x bandwidth for each one.

I'll give QuickRes a try, thanks.

Honestly, for reading and programming and well anything non design related, the retina is incredible. Since everything is retinized on the rMBP, browsing the web on the highest scaled resolution is the best of both worlds. The photos and text on sites (the ones that support them at least) look absolutely stunning and retina yet I still have the massive amount of real estate to use. The Verge for example is a joy to browse. Its just that when I need to do design work its been a pain in the ass. Damnit Apple I just want 1080p usable real estate on my Mac laptop!

Regarding Photoshop, when I use it with the retina mode on, it literally scales my images to 1:1 pixels. So something thats 300 x 300 will literally be 300x300 out of the full 2880 x 1800 resolution. Theres an option to use it in "low res" mode where it doubles the pixels but unlike Illustrator which looks incredible in any and every resolution and setting, Photoshop becomes a blurry and honestly, an unusable mess.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'll give QuickRes a try, thanks.

Honestly, for reading and programming and well anything non design related, the retina is incredible. Since everything is retinized on the rMBP, browsing the web on the highest scaled resolution is the best of both worlds. The photos and text on sites (the ones that support them at least) look absolutely stunning and retina yet I still have the massive amount of real estate to use. The Verge for example is a joy to browse. Its just that when I need to do design work its been a pain in the ass. Damnit Apple I just want 1080p usable real estate on my Mac laptop!

Regarding Photoshop, when I use it with the retina mode on, it literally scales my images to 1:1 pixels. So something thats 300 x 300 will literally be 300x300 out of the full 2880 x 1800 resolution. Theres an option to use it in "low res" mode where it doubles the pixels but unlike Illustrator which looks incredible in any and every resolution and setting, Photoshop becomes a blurry and honestly, an unusable mess.
Well you can get 1080p usable space if you use the highest setting. (The 1920x1200 is 1080p plus about 140 pixels more since the display is 16:10 and not 16:9.) It's just not going to be 1200 physical pixels as each individual pixel will actually be about 1.33 pixels high. I guess you could use QuickRes to set it to actual display resolution of 2880x1600. Then you'd have every tiny pixel at 1:1 ratio. (Albeit realllllly small)

And I don't know how newer versions of PhotoShop work. As I said, I'm only using CS3 which came out in 2007. Well before Retina was even an idea. So I don't know how CS6 or the like work with Retina really. But I could see how that'd bug someone who needs to work with images all the time.

BTW, trying out 1920x1200 right now and aside from some small stuff, I could probably get used to it over 1680x1050.

Fuchsdh

Well you can get 1080p usable space if you use the highest setting. (The 1920x1200 is 1080p plus about 140 pixels more since the display is 16:10 and not 16:9.) It's just not going to be 1200 physical pixels as each individual pixel will actually be about 1.33 pixels high. I guess you could use QuickRes to set it to actual display resolution of 2880x1600. Then you'd have every tiny pixel at 1:1 ratio. (Albeit realllllly small)

And I don't know how newer versions of PhotoShop work. As I said, I'm only using CS3 which came out in 2007. Well before Retina was even an idea. So I don't know how CS6 or the like work with Retina really. But I could see how that'd bug someone who needs to work with images all the time.

BTW, trying out 1920x1200 right now and aside from some small stuff, I could probably get used to it over 1680x1050.

CS6 and up are retina-optimized.

Still think retina is a horrible idea for graphics work, but then again glossy displays are horrible for graphics work too. I'm satisfied with my 22" 1080p screens.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I just noticed that when I am playing MineCraft and I go into fullscreen, it changes to 1440x900 resolution on my Retina display. Which makes it look extremely blurry. It looks better when windowed. Is there any way, without needing Optifine (Since it won't be available for 1.7 for quite a while if ever) to make it use a different resolution? It wouldn't be a problem if it didn't blur the pixels. But since it does, it just looks bad. At least crisp pixels would look like my old display and would be fine.

Fuchsdh

I just noticed that when I am playing MineCraft and I go into fullscreen, it changes to 1440x900 resolution on my Retina display. Which makes it look extremely blurry. It looks better when windowed. Is there any way, without needing Optifine (Since it won't be available for 1.7 for quite a while if ever) to make it use a different resolution? It wouldn't be a problem if it didn't blur the pixels. But since it does, it just looks bad. At least crisp pixels would look like my old display and would be fine.

Getting off-track, but I'm seeing OptiFine links for 1.7 on a cursory google search.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Getting off-track, but I'm seeing OptiFine links for 1.7 on a cursory google search.
It's not. It's something else.

Only trust the official Optifine thread in the MC forums. And according to them, there is no Optifine for 1.7 yet. Minecraft 1.7's code was changed so much that modders are unable to update their big mods because of it.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic...-textures-aa-af-and-much-more/page__st__37620

1.6.4 is the last Optifine available at this current time.

Anyway, I'll have to ask in the MC thread. Maybe there's a file I can edit.

I somehow convinced my employer to buy me the 15 inch 2.3 Ghz Retina MBP. I'm super psyched, I haven't had a new MBP since the beginning of 2007. It should come tomorrow, I can't wait to try it out!

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Ugh, I don't want to deal with all of this scaling and blurry stuff with a MBPr if I don't have to. I'm going to be hooking up my Macbook to a monitor 75% of the time anyway. I'm starting to consider a Macbook Air. Along with that, there's the graphical/UI lag I've been hearing about. People with MBPr, are these problems not as bad as they sound?

Water

Ugh, I don't want to deal with all of this scaling and blurry stuff with a MBPr if I don't have to. I'm going to be hooking up my Macbook to a monitor 75% of the time anyway. I'm starting to consider a Macbook Air. Along with that, there's the graphical/UI lag I've been hearing about. People with MBPr, are these problems not as bad as they sound?
There's no blur unless you try to use the MBPr in some other resolution than the recommended one (which is exactly half of the true resolution of the display).

That said, the recommended resolution on the 13" MBPr is smaller than the one on the Air, so if you stick to that, you'll have less stuff on the display.

Especially if you are on a desktop display 75% of the time, Air sounds like the right choice.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
There's no blur unless you try to use the MBPr in some other resolution than the recommended one (which is exactly half of the true resolution of the display).

That said, the recommended resolution on the 13" MBPr is smaller than the one on the Air, so if you stick to that, you'll have less stuff on the display.

Especially if you are on a desktop display 75% of the time, Air sounds like the right choice.
Thanks...that's what I've been thinking. The thing is, I don't want to sacrifice any major power by going with the air.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

Thanks...that's what I've been thinking. The thing is, I don't want to sacrifice any major power by going with the air.
I'm running my 15" Retina at the 1920x1200 setting on the Iris Pro GPU and have not noticed any UI lag or slowdown at all. At least nothing noticeable. I don't know how the 13" with plain Iris and a max (Unless you use QuickRes) of 1680x1050 would do in comparison.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Yeah, I've heard that the MBPr 15" do not have the scroll/UI lag. The thing is my budget can't fit a 15" MBPr because I need to buy a 27" Ultrasharp to go along with my Macbook. So now I don't know what I'm gonna do.

Yeah, I've heard that the MBPr 15" do not have the scroll/UI lag. The thing is my budget can't fit a 15" MBPr because I need to buy a 27" Ultrasharp to go along with my Macbook. So now I don't know what I'm gonna do.

If you use it with the external display, you may not notice any lag. From my experience on my last gen rMBP 15", i have noticed that when it lags on just the laptop, it goes away when i use the 27" monitor. Im assuming its cause theres less pixels being pushed. You never know.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
The 13" MBPr isn't much faster than Air. What kind of power do you need? (= what are you going to do with it?)
It'll mostly be for editing spreadsheets and documents, browsing the internet, managing calendars/appointments, and using final cut pro to edit videos of the YouTube variety (short, tech related videos).

kennah

It'll mostly be for editing spreadsheets and documents, browsing the internet, managing calendars/appointments, and using final cut pro to edit videos of the YouTube variety (short, tech related videos).
Then neither 13 will have an advantage over the other.

I'm never buying refurb products from Apple again.

My 15" has a lot of hardware issues. Took it to an Apple store today, guy recommended an exchange because it has a lot of issues but I would have to take it up with the Apple Online store since it was an online refurb. Spoke with them online and they said they would send over an exchange model right away.

Then got another email saying the model I bought was out of stock so they could only give me a refund, or buy another one to exchange this with. There werent any other models available right now so I decided to just take a refund.

I thought you could just go into an Apple store and they fix the stuff for you. It hasn't even been 14 days before this machine started to fuck up. But apparently Apple Stores dont deal with refurb products at all.

Guess I'm just gonna cough up some extra money and just buy a new current gen rMBP so I dont have to deal with this shit ever again. I wasted my entire day going between stores and being on the phone. Ugh.

They gave me a coupon for $45 bucks off though lol I felt insulted. Good thing I didnt sell my cMBP yet or else I would have been fucked. I guess I'll wait until Black Friday and maybe get another $100 off or something. If I do a personal pick up from online on new products, can I still take it to the Apple store if I have any problems?

I'm never buying refurb products from Apple again.

My 15" has a lot of hardware issues. Took it to an Apple store today, guy recommended an exchange because it has a lot of issues but I would have to take it up with the Apple Online store since it was an online refurb. Spoke with them online and they said they would send over an exchange model right away.

Then got another email saying the model I bought was out of stock so they could only give me a refund, or buy another one to exchange this with. There werent any other models available right now so I decided to just take a refund.

I thought you could just go into an Apple store and they fix the stuff for you. It hasn't even been 14 days before this machine started to fuck up. But apparently Apple Stores dont deal with refurb products at all.

Guess I'm just gonna cough up some extra money and just buy a new current gen rMBP so I dont have to deal with this shit ever again. I wasted my entire day going between stores and being on the phone. Ugh.

They gave me a coupon for $45 bucks off though lol I felt insulted. Good thing I didnt sell my cMBP yet or else I would have been fucked. I guess I'll wait until Black Friday and maybe get another $100 off or something. If I do a personal pick up from online on new products, can I still take it to the Apple store if I have any problems?

What issues were you having? I've been bouncing around the idea of getting a 13" rMBP brand new, the 15" rMBP Refurb or just go all out with the brand new 15".

Which MBP was it?

What issues were you having? I've been bouncing around the idea of getting a 13" rMBP brand new, the 15" rMBP Refurb or just go all out with the brand new 15".

Which MBP was it?

It was an early 2013 15". i7 / 16gb / 256gb. I had a plethora of problems, biggest which were loud creaking and cracking sounds whenever I used the trackpad or rested my palms and really short battery life.

It was a great deal but all this trouble isnt worth it to me anymore. I thought refurbs were treated like any new MBP when it came to servicing but apparently not. I have no idea why Apple didnt give me an option to just get this same computer repaired. But whatever. I'm just gonna go buy a full priced model from an Apple retail store and just be done with it.

Biggest problem with OS X is that Apple is the only company making OS X computers. So you kind of just have to deal with it.

Sec0nd

Quick random question. I was wondering about how the Macbook screens compare to other screens color and contrast wise. I've got a Macbook 13" from 2011 and the screen has a lot more color and contrast compared to my 24" Acer monitor, which makes pictures really flat. It's really messing me up when working on color correction for photos and videos. I'm just wondering if I should trust my Macbook screen or my monitor.

Fuchsdh

Quick random question. I was wondering about how the Macbook screens compare to other screens color and contrast wise. I've got a Macbook 13" from 2011 and the screen has a lot more color and contrast compared to my 24" Acer monitor, which makes pictures really flat. It's really messing me up when working on color correction for photos and videos. I'm just wondering if I should trust my Macbook screen or my monitor.

The glossy screen means your ASUS is probably more likely to be accurate. Have you calibrated your displays?

Water

Then neither 13 will have an advantage over the other.
The differences are small, but Air does have the edge in price, size, weight and battery life. For the stated purposes the MBPr's more color-accurate screen doesn't matter much, so I would recommend Air by default. It's not wrong to get the MBPr though.

Water

Macbook 13" displays are rather poor, so this doesn't speak favorably about the 24" Acer. I'm assuming the Acer has a TN panel; the Macbooks do too, but it doesn't look as bad when the display is small. You can pick up a IPS / PLS / VA / .. display for $200ish that will beat both of them handily.

kennah

The differences are small, but Air does have the edge in price, size, weight and battery life. For the stated purposes the MBPr's more color-accurate screen doesn't matter much, so I would recommend Air by default. It's not wrong to get the MBPr though.
I was speaking purely from a performance standpoint. But thanks for filling in the rest of the info :)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The Air is only .5 pounds lighter. But the Retina has the HiDPI display (Although its default setting is lower than the 13" Air is.) which is much better and nicer. Also, the rPro has a few more ports than the Air like an HDMI port and two ThunderBolt 2 ports. (If you need those that is.) You also get a much better processor on the rPro. You actually can't build a 13" Air that matches even the low end rPro. The low end rPro actually has a price that's the same as the second tier 13" Air. So really, in the end, the only reasons to go Air is if you A) want to save $200 by getting the entry 13" Air or B) want to save .5 pounds. Everything else about the 13" rPro is superior for the same price. If there's a drawback it's the world not being 100% ready for Retina.

Personally, the ports are one of my main issues with my 15". There's two USB ports, but both are on different sides. Which isn't a big deal, except that the left one isn't where my Air had it so I keep trying to put things in the Thunderbolt port. And I also don't need two Thunderbolt ports. I barely need one. If I had my way, I'd have two USB 3 on the left side and one on the right with the HDMI port and one TB port where it is on the Air. Three USB 3 ports would be much more useful to me than any of the TB or HDMI ports. Whatever. Too many ports is my main issue. What an issue to have!

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Thank you for the discussions guys. I will be going to Best Buy on Black Friday as I have $200 in gift cards. They have the baseline MBPr for $1099. This seems like a really good deal but the only problem I have is that it only has 4GB of RAM. The 8GB/256GB version won't be on sale, I don't believe. It would have really been a buy at $1299 if they discounted it by $200. Are you guys who have finding that 4GB on a MBPr 13 is enough?

Sec0nd

Macbook 13" displays are rather poor, so this doesn't speak favorably about the 24" Acer. I'm assuming the Acer has a TN panel; the Macbooks do too, but it doesn't look as bad when the display is small. You can pick up a IPS / PLS / VA / .. display for $200ish that will beat both of them handily.

The Acer screen has multiple presets. The default one is pretty low contrast and low vibrace compared to my Macbook screen. Other presets can come pretty close to the crazy contrasty Mac screen. I just don't know what's 'real' anymore and what not! Messing with my head!

Best buy has the 15" rMBPs for $250 bucks off. Just bought one now and saved about 270 bucks with tax overall.

They said i can also get a price adjustment if it goes any lower next week. Plus got about 45 bucks gift card with the reward zone and might put that towards apple care or something.

I'm just wondering if I should trust my Macbook screen or my monitor.

Neither if you haven't calibrated them. Your '11 MacBook has a TN panel, which are not exactly known for colour accuracy, which doesn't say much for your ACER. Now, the flatness on the latter might be due to the glass panel on the former, which makes colours "pop" more— which is nice for looking at stuff and bad for editing them.

Get a calibrator and calibrate them. OS X makes it dead simple to have a colour matched workflow once you have a calibrated display.

I just don't know what's 'real' anymore and what not!

None of the them.

Thank you for the discussions guys. I will be going to Best Buy on Black Friday as I have $200 in gift cards. They have the baseline MBPr for $1099. This seems like a really good deal but the only problem I have is that it only has 4GB of RAM. The 8GB/256GB version won't be on sale, I don't believe. It would have really been a buy at $1299 if they discounted it by $200. Are you guys who have finding that 4GB on a MBPr 13 is enough?

I wouldn't go for the 4GB rMBP option. 8GB minimum really. Too bad you cannot upgrade the RAM in a BTO option at Best Buy to take advantage of the giftcards.
I am looking at the mid grade rMBP and upgrading the ram to 16GB to be a bit more future proof.

Deku Tree

I just did a clean install of Mavericks.
Pre-Clean Install I had 125GB of free space on my 256GB SSD.
Post-Clean Install I have 161GB of free space on my 256GB SSD.
Phew.

Fuchsdh

Phew.

I know people who never clean install their computers. I think they're crazy. Especially with the releases going yearly I'll probably just do it every other release now to save some hassle.

At the very least, if you selectively restore docs you figure out what cruft you can live without.

I think it is more worthwhile on iOS than the Mac to clean install, where I find it grossly overrated.

Having access to the file system and all the interesting command line utilities means you never have to say you're sorry you can fix things yourself.

Water

Phew.
Any idea what that 36GB actually was? Your own files, application caches, application libraries...? In my experience OS X itself doesn't accumulate crud, and the apps I use do not either. But I remember Apple's iLife stuff like Garageband, etc. having huge libraries by default and some other apps may as well.

Deku Tree

Any idea what that 36GB actually was? Your own files, application caches, application libraries...? In my experience OS X itself doesn't accumulate crud, and the apps I use do not either. But I remember Apple's iLife stuff like Garageband, etc. having huge libraries by default and some other apps may as well.

Yeah I did not re-install iMovie or Garageband because I never use them. I did not install every single program that used to be in my applications folder. Based upon the size of my old home folder in TimeMachine. My new home folder is almost exactly the same size as my old home folder. My job also installed some kind of hidden security software that is gone now. Other than that it must have been crud as far as I can tell. I had not done a clean install since probably around 2006-07...

EDIT: I am now at 157GB of free space...

Top Bottom