• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah. iLife has a lot of files. Huge files. Te only ones I even use anymore are iPhoto and iMovie and even that I rarely use. I'm going to uninstall GarageBand and do some cleaning later. I also never use iWork at all. I should remove those too.

Speaking of iMovie. Why the heck did the new version not give me the option to import my old stuff? I still have to use the old version to use my old projects. Though all my projects are silly Lets Play recordings I can discard now. I use ScreenFlow for those now. I really could just uninstall iMovie all together and delete all my projects. Though I should keep a version around in case I need it.

Speaking of space usage. I've noticed the new version takes up twice the space the old one did. Maybe it's because I've run Monolingual and probably trimmed the fat and removed half it's binary and all it's localizations. Still.. It's pretty huge.

I received my new 15'' MBPr from work and I'm kind of in awe of it. The speed at which it boots (it seems like the boot chime plays and its ready to go), the retina display, how sleek and silent it is... it's really incredible. I set a photo I shot for a project as my desktop background and I'm seeing details I've never noticed in the photo previously, on screen or in print. I can see the detail of model's fingernail polish! It's insane. I work on two 27'' IPS monitors that I love and it makes them look like junk. What a beautiful piece of hardware.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I received my new 15'' MBPr from work and I'm kind of in awe of it. The speed at which it boots (it seems like the boot chime plays and its ready to go), the retina display, how sleek and silent it is... it's really incredible. I set a photo I shot for a project as my desktop background and I'm seeing details I've never noticed in the photo previously, on screen or in print. I can see the detail of model's fingernail polish! It's insane. I work on two 27'' IPS monitors that I love and it makes them look like junk. What a beautiful piece of hardware.
Discrete GPU or baseline? Just curious. I love my 15". A bit big for what I'm used to, but the power is awesome.

I just need to purchase a copy of Windows 7 to put in BootCamp. I just don't know which version to get. All I need it for is games. But I'd like as much compatibility as possible. But I hate spending so much for an OS when I'm used to getting it for much cheaper. How much of a hassle is an OEM if I ever need to reinstall or in 3 years if I replace the machine?

Discrete GPU or baseline? Just curious. I love my 15". A bit big for what I'm used to, but the power is awesome.

Discrete GPU. I do a fair amount of motion graphics work, so it really seemed like the only option. I still think Apple removing the discrete GPU from most models is really lame, but since my job was willing to pay for the discrete gpu model, I can't get too mad. I can't wait to really put it through its paces.

I have a 2007 Airport Extreme (the "2.4 or 5GHz but not both at the same time" model).

Sometime (hours? days?) after it boots, it stops giving out DHCP leases and stops making itself available for management via Airport Utility or OS X Server app. Static clients on both ethernet and wifi continue to function, and my two AirPort Expresses are still manageable by my wifi-less Mac Pro that is plugged into the Extreme.

My plan is to erase it and restore its settings tomorrow, but anyone experience this?

Deku Tree

I have a 2007 Airport Extreme (the "2.4 or 5GHz but not both at the same time" model).

Sometime (hours? days?) after it boots, it stops giving out DHCP leases and stops making itself available for management via Airport Utility or OS X Server app. Static clients on both ethernet and wifi continue to function, and my two AirPort Expresses are still manageable by my wifi-less Mac Pro that is plugged into the Extreme.

My plan is to erase it and restore its settings tomorrow, but anyone experience this?

Yeah. It may be on its way out. Or it could just need a hard reset.

I was hoping someone could help me out with my mom's ipad 2 issue. A bit of background first, my mom purchased the ipad from a lady at her work about 5 months ago, and it was working fine up until a week ago. A week ago her ipad just turned off, so I plugged it into itunes, it said the ipad was in recovery mode, so I let it do its thing and it started working again. But since that point it has gone into recovery mode about five times, does anyone have any advice for me. I dont have the receipt of the ipad and don't know when its warranty ran out, and really don't have the cash to buy a new ipad for her right now.

Blackhead

Redarse
I was hoping someone could help me out with my mom's ipad 2 issue. A bit of background first, my mom purchased the ipad from a lady at her work about 5 months ago, and it was working fine up until a week ago. A week ago her ipad just turned off, so I plugged it into itunes, it said the ipad was in recovery mode, so I let it do its thing and it started working again. But since that point it has gone into recovery mode about five times, does anyone have any advice for me. I dont have the receipt of the ipad and don't know when its warranty ran out, and really don't have the cash to buy a new ipad for her right now.

You can check the warranty at https://selfsolve.apple.com/
An Apple Store should provide free diagnostics even if it's not under warranty.

Yeah. It may be on its way out. Or it could just need a hard reset.

Definitely on the way out. Replaced it with a new one. That migration is slick as shit.

Tried to use the old one in place of my gigE switch in my basement so I'd have better wifi when using my iPhone
on the shitter
down there. Despite being erased, and a smooth AirPort Utility configuration, it broke everything quite spectacularly a few minutes after it was up and running, so I put the switch back in place. Do not think it was arp related.

Finally took the plunge and upgraded from my four year old Macbook Pro since Best Buy had the retinas $250 off. Decided to go with the 16GB/Discrete GPU option. Got lucky and ended up with a Samsung screen too.

Very, very happy so far.

Danj

Has anyone tried installing Mountain Lion on the new Haswell iMacs? The Apple site has dire imprecations against doing something like that, will it really be as bad as they say? We got 6 new iMacs in but I haven't got a Mavericks NetRestore image ready for them (as I'm having trouble creating a Mavericks installation with a restore partition, see the OS X thread for details).

Deku Tree

Has anyone tried installing Mountain Lion on the new Haswell iMacs? The Apple site has dire imprecations against doing something like that, will it really be as bad as they say? We got 6 new iMacs in but I haven't got a Mavericks NetRestore image ready for them (as I'm having trouble creating a Mavericks installation with a restore partition, see the OS X thread for details).

It sounds like those machines haven't been optimized or tested with ML. You would never know when something might act very strange.

solid mike

2010 MacBook Pro 15" is starting to show signs of wear and tear. Even before I installed Mavericks, the laptop occasionally crashed (sudden black screen, whatever audio you were hearing stutters infinitely).

Cycle count is 1274, is anyone else sharing the same experience? Kind of feels better if I wasn't alone.

Finally took the plunge and upgraded from my four year old Macbook Pro since Best Buy had the retinas $250 off. Decided to go with the 16GB/Discrete GPU option. Got lucky and ended up with a Samsung screen too.

Very, very happy so far.

I realize Apple can't put all their eggs in one basket and go with one supplier but to me the issues with LG screens just shouldn't be allowed for a premium laptop. If I'm spending $2k for a laptop, I am having them turn on and check things for me at the store.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

Very, very happy so far.

I realize Apple can't put all their eggs in one basket and go with one supplier but to me the issues with LG screens just shouldn't be allowed for a premium laptop. If I'm spending $2k for a laptop, I am having them turn on and check things for me at the store.
Don't all the models of certain types have the same screen providers? For example, all the dGPU/16/512 15" models will always be Samsung, while some other model might always be LG?

My dGPU model is also Samsung. I think all of them are.

What issues are the LG displays having? Still having ghosting? I don't remember what the problems were with last years models.

Futureman

I have a dGPU 15" that just came out and I think I was reading about screen types on MacRumors forums and I have the LG.

I haven't noticed any issues though. I use a lot of Photoshop and always use the screen at full brightness. The screen is so beautiful on full brightness, though I realize I'm probably only getting about half the advertised battery life by doing this.

jts

...hate me...
My 2010 13" MBP with a C2D inside will probably feel pre-historic and I'll be so jelly.
Holy fuaarkkkk this totally happened.

Going back to my Mac feels like I'm using an old peoples computer. Dat screen size with such a low DPI. Damn. So much larger and thicker and heavier with the same usability.

This is NOT cool. God dammit!

PS: Magsafe 2 sucks balls.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I've gotten pretty used to using the 1920x1200 option on my 15" Pro. If I had to change some stuff...

Safari really needs better Zoom support. It needs to remember your setting for each site instead of forgetting it and it needs a default setting. At least remember my setting.

Right now I use an extension called QuickStyle to set the zoom setting for the BODY or sometimes HTML element (Depending on how the site is designed) but it doesn't always work and sometimes when it does it's buggy. But if I zoom using the ZOOM functions of the browser, it works fine. So come on, Apple. Make Safari remember my setting per site. Really one of Safari's only real flaws anymore. At 100% everything's too small.

Also, some apps could benefit from text size options. It's very inconsistent. iTunes has settings for both the sidebar and the song listing which is really nice. iPhoto only has a setting for the sidebar, but it's okay since it's not text heavy. Finder lets you set size on a per folder basis, and the sidebar has a size setting, but for some silly reason the setting is hidden in System Preferences. Which is weird because you'd think if they're gonna put it there, instead of Finder Preferences, that it'd be a system-wide setting any app could use. Like Sublime Text which doesn't have a setting for sidebar text size, but could really benefit from one.

I also set up QuickRes to have two settings. 1920x1200 HiDPI which sets the resolution to Retina so everything's smooth, and 1920x1200 normal, which is normal resolution without the doubled up Retina. I suspect it might be a little easier on the GPU in some circumstances. I haven't dome much testing, but I wouldn't be surprised if it helped with battery life if I used it sometimes while on battery. Neat thing is at this resolution, the lack of smoothness is only barely noticeable. I mean it's there, but only if you look closely.

Eiolon

I need to start learning iOS development and I am told I need a Mac to do so. I am looking at the 13 in Air or Pro at $1,299. Specs look identical but besides form factor and Retina is there any reason to get one or the other? I know NOTHING about Macs. It pains me to get one ha ha, but I gotta do what I gotta do.

gokieks

I need to start learning iOS development and I am told I need a Mac to do so. I am looking at the 13 in Air or Pro at $1,299. Specs look identical but besides form factor and Retina is there any reason to get one or the other? I know NOTHING about Macs. It pains me to get one ha ha, but I gotta do what I gotta do.

A Hackintosh works for that purpose, so if you happen to already have a computer that by chance works for that purpose, or are planning on building one, that might be an option, albeit a more involved one. It's not exactly hard these days if you choose components with it in mind, but obviously still more effort than just buying a computer from Apple.

As far as the $1299 MBA vs the $1299 rMBP, it comes down to a faster (and less thermally constrained) CPU (+ integrated GPU) on the rMBP, and twice the storage on the MBA. The better CPU and display of the rMBP is worth it IMO, but 128GB is really pushing the limit of usability these days. Both also come with only 4GB of RAM, which is also less than I'd be willing to accept. If you can stretch it, the $1499 13" rMBP with 8GB of RAM and 256GB SSD is the sweet spot (and try to find a sale).

gokieks

The main advantages that the new rMBPs has is Haswell CPUs, 802.11ac, Thunderbolt 2, and PCIe SSDs. Out of those, the big one is the CPU (and associated better battery life), so if that's a major concern, then you're probably better off getting a new model. If not, the other upgrades are minor (802.11ac is not prevalent at all, Thunderbolt 2's advantages over 1 is useless for the vast majority of the already small section of people who actually uses Thunderbolt, and the old SSDs are more than fast enough), so a refurbished previous gen is a good choice. I actually did just that myself - I was considering getting either a high-end 13" or a base 15", but someone offered me a top of the line 2012 model (2.7 GHz / 16GB RAM / 512GB SSD) with 2 more years of AppleCare for a fantastic price that was too good to pass up, so I ended up buying that instead.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I am looking into getting a case shell for my 15" Retina. I am currently looking at the Moshi iGlaze because it seems to be highest rated, but it only comes in black and clear sadly. Their 13" normal MBP skins have colors. Shame.

http://www.outfityours.com/moshi-iglaze-pro-15-r-hardshell-case-for-15-macbook-pro-retina-black/

I'm only afraid of it cracking or falling off all the time. The reviews seem to say it won't do it, but the occasional review from an owner seems to say they do and can.

Alternatively, I was looking at something like this: http://www.outfityours.com/sena-leather-folio-for-15-retina-macbook-pro-brown/

A leather portfolio cover. But I'd be afraid it'd be too bulky. I do like the pockets and wonder if I could somehow mount my portable hard drive in it.

See, I'd love to just have my portable hard drive with me at all times, but I occasionally disconnect it accidentally when I move the computer. I'd rather mount it somewhere. If I had the plastic case I'd probably tape it to the case with electrical tape or something. I'd be afraid putting it in a pocket on the Folio would stretch it wrong. Plus it's extremely pricey. So the iGlaze seems to be the right choice as nice as the leather one looks. I just wish it came in colors. Plus I am wondering if they'll release an updated version for the new 15" models which are slightly thinner. And maybe some colors would follow.

I mean if this is going to be my machine for a few years, I'll want to take care of it. I really do like the leather case though. I wish it could see it in person. Maybe the new Mac store opening on Friday will have them.

Deku Tree

I am looking into getting a case shell for my 15" Retina. I am currently looking at the Moshi iGlaze because it seems to be highest rated, but it only comes in black and clear sadly. Their 13" normal MBP skins have colors. Shame.

http://www.outfityours.com/moshi-iglaze-pro-15-r-hardshell-case-for-15-macbook-pro-retina-black/

I'm only afraid of it cracking or falling off all the time. The reviews seem to say it won't do it, but the occasional review from an owner seems to say they do and can.

Alternatively, I was looking at something like this: http://www.outfityours.com/sena-leather-folio-for-15-retina-macbook-pro-brown/

A leather portfolio cover. But I'd be afraid it'd be too bulky. I do like the pockets and wonder if I could somehow mount my portable hard drive in it.

See, I'd love to just have my portable hard drive with me at all times, but I occasionally disconnect it accidentally when I move the computer. I'd rather mount it somewhere. If I had the plastic case I'd probably tape it to the case with electrical tape or something. I'd be afraid putting it in a pocket on the Folio would stretch it wrong. Plus it's extremely pricey. So the iGlaze seems to be the right choice as nice as the leather one looks. I just wish it came in colors. Plus I am wondering if they'll release an updated version for the new 15" models which are slightly thinner. And maybe some colors would follow.

I mean if this is going to be my machine for a few years, I'll want to take care of it. I really do like the leather case though. I wish it could see it in person. Maybe the new Mac store opening on Friday will have them.

Are you on the go with your rMBP a lot? I had a speck case like that for my old MBA 13. The case broke a while ago. But my computer is still in good shape. Having used one for a few years, I now think those hardshell cases are un-necessary for most people. Also seems like $65 is a lot to pay for a piece of plastic that was likely made in China for under 50c.

kaskade

My 2013 Macbook Air power cord is all kinked up near the magsafe part. I've had the adapter for my 09 MBP for 4 years and it never did anything like that. I'm assuming apple would replace it for me since it's under warranty.

Keyouta

2012 Retina Macbook Pro. Bought used. How do I remove the EFI firmware lock on it? The SSD on it is dead and I'm being blocked from booting from a CD, among the other startup options.

I've looked around to see most people saying go to an Apple store, and I don't really want to drive 400 miles to get to one.

giga

2012 Retina Macbook Pro. Bought used. How do I remove the EFI firmware lock on it? The SSD on it is dead and I'm being blocked from booting from a CD, among the other startup options.

I've looked around to see most people saying go to an Apple store, and I don't really want to drive 400 miles to get to one.
Try calling Apple support or try to find a local Apple authorized repair place.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Are you on the go with your rMBP a lot? I had a speck case like that for my old MBA 13. The case broke a while ago. But my computer is still in good shape. Having used one for a few years, I now think those hardshell cases are un-necessary for most people. Also seems like $65 is a lot to pay for a piece of plastic that was likely made in China for under 50c.
You'd be surprised how much I ding up my laptops. My Airs were dented in the corners. I want a shell or something. Just to make sure it makes it to 3 years.

Fuchsdh

You'd be surprised how much I ding up my laptops. My Airs were dented in the corners. I want a shell or something. Just to make sure it makes it to 3 years.
My 2008 laptop got beaten to hell and I still got $450 for it two weeks ago. I don't see the point of a case on a unibody laptop, especially as there are less parts to easily break.

gokieks

Chrome's huge superiority in syncing across multiple platforms far outweighs any disadvantage it may have in any other regard.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Chrome's huge superiority in syncing across multiple platforms far outweighs any disadvantage it may have in any other regard.
Safari 7 is pretty up there. And it doesn't run like shit anymore. It just has a lackluster extensions market. I wouldn't even consider going back to Chrome at this point.

gokieks

Safari is not available on Linux or Android, is crap on Windows, and even on OS X has a ton of UI/UX annoyances. It's quite simply not an option as far as I'm concerned.

Chrome is fine. Safari works really well if you want to sync bookmarks between your iphkne iPad and Mac. On the PC, you can use the iCloud control panel and it will sync with Chrome and Firefox now in addition to IE.

On the Mac it's just Safari though, no such bookmark sync on Chrome for the Mac. Just between Chrome browsers

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I've been using firefox on Windows for years. How does FF run?
Eh. It's okay. But it, like Chrome, doesn't make any use of any of OS X's latest enhancements in energy saving. Plus it puts everything in one process unlike both Chrome and Safari so one tab can take down the entire browser. But it does sandbox Flash like everyone else.

I still recommend Safari for people who are in an Apple ecosystem. Chrome for people who need to use Android or other OS' often. Safari especially takes advantage of everything Mavericks has to offer and will let the battery last a long time compared to the energy sucking Chrome. Both browsers sync as mentioned, but also as mentioned, Safari is pretty much Apple device only with some simple syncing on Windows for Chrome.

Water

I still recommend Safari for people who are in an Apple ecosystem. Chrome for people who need to use Android or other OS' often. Safari especially takes advantage of everything Mavericks has to offer and will let the battery last a long time compared to the energy sucking Chrome.
"Energy sucking" is a bit much. My experience with the 2013 Macbook Air is that it lasts forever on battery almost regardless of what it's running, as long as it's booted to OS X. Only game development tools with 3D graphics manage to put a dent in the battery and even then it lasts hours and hours.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
"Energy sucking" is a bit much. My experience with the 2013 Macbook Air is that it lasts forever on battery almost regardless of what it's running, as long as it's booted to OS X. Only game development tools with 3D graphics manage to put a dent in the battery and even then it lasts hours and hours.
Safari 7 handles websites with continuous scrolling without lag or slowdown for me. Chrome always choked by the 4th page load. That alone was enough for me to never ever want to consider Chrome again. And the best part is it does it smoothly without any jerkiness.

Use what you want. I'm just recommending. Safari 7 is leaps ahead of what it's been for years. Shame it isn't on Windows or other mobile OS'. So you're basically locked to Apple devices if you want to use syncing.

Not that Safari doesn't have its share of quirks and missing features. But for me, the benefits outweigh the lacks.

Oh, and since 7.0 doesn't load tab content until I click it, it means I no longer have to wait 3 minutes for Chrome to finish loading all my tabs every time I launch it. Safari launches in 3 seconds or less even with 20 tabs open. And all of them could be YouTube pages, it won't play the video until I focus the tab. Unlike Chrome which will load and play every single tab. (Even with extensions installed to stop videos. Chrome loads tabs and extensions so slowly and in unpredictable order.)

tr4656

Safari 7 handles websites with continuous scrolling without lag or slowdown for me. Chrome always choked by the 4th page load. That alone was enough for me to never ever want to consider Chrome again. And the best part is it does it smoothly without any jerkiness.

Use what you want. I'm just recommending. Safari 7 is leaps ahead of what it's been for years. Shame it isn't on Windows or other mobile OS'. So you're basically locked to Apple devices if you want to use syncing.

Not that Safari doesn't have its share of quirks and missing features. But for me, the benefits outweigh the lacks.

Oh, and since 7.0 doesn't load tab content until I click it, it means I no longer have to wait 3 minutes for Chrome to finish loading all my tabs every time I launch it. Safari launches in 3 seconds or less even with 20 tabs open. And all of them could be YouTube pages, it won't play the video until I focus the tab. Unlike Chrome which will load and play every single tab. (Even with extensions installed to stop videos. Chrome loads tabs and extensions so slowly and in unpredictable order.)

Yeah, Safari really is the best browser on OS X/iOS. I use OS X, Linux, and Chrome and still use Safari since I can just use other services to get bookmarks/tabs.

Dany

Banned
my wifi is dead. what do i do now. It can find connections but it won't connect. Restarting didn't work. wired is out of the question.

2010 mbp, out of warrenty

Guys, I need some advice from people who have been using rMBP 15 (2012, early 2013, late 2013), and possible previous MBP15 and MBP13 generations.

I've heard a lot of talk about Macs overheating. About how they are not meant to be stressed after continious use - How gaming in bootcamp kills the CPUs lifespan, or editing videos on it in OSX puts toll on the logic board and so on.

Is it true.. do all rMBPs really jump into 90c degrees when stressing them?

I'm conflicted. I had a 2007 laptop die on me due to the crappy 8600m GT graphics cards at the time. I'm afraid that if I get a rMBP, even though they don't throttle that it will die prematurely. I want a laptop that will last 4-5 years, and I am worried that a computer with those temps, if your going to use it for work or gaming, that it won't last. I just won't have money to upgrade every second year.

Intel writes on their website that the processors have a Tjunction thresshold of 100c degrees. And Apple claims on their website that 50-90c degrees is within normal acceptable temperatures.

I get that decreased thin chassis with powerful hardware puts more heat. And I know some people talk about laptops being build to withstand that sort of heat. I'm just really concerned by it. I would hate to have a laptop that is amazing in every way, but goes to 90c degrees when watching HD Youtube clips.

tr4656

my wifi is dead. what do i do now. It can find connections but it won't connect. Restarting didn't work. wired is out of the question.

2010 mbp, out of warrenty

I haven't tried doing this with a MBP but you can try replacing the WiFi chip.

Dammit guys. I can't decide if I dare take the plunge. Even if I got Applecare within one year.

Overheating is so scary in Laptops! But it's not like the other thin powerful laptops like Razer Blade 14 or Zenbook 51 become any less hot right?

And also.. I mean, if Apple had to replace all Macs that used them heavily a lot they would have changed something in the thermal system right?

Guys, I need some advice from people who have been using rMBP 15 (2012, early 2013, late 2013), and possible previous MBP15 and MBP13 generations.

I've heard a lot of talk about Macs overheating. About how they are not meant to be stressed after continious use - How gaming in bootcamp kills the CPUs lifespan, or editing videos on it in OSX puts toll on the logic board and so on.

Is it true.. do all rMBPs really jump into 90c degrees when stressing them?

I'm conflicted. I had a 2007 laptop die on me due to the crappy 8600m GT graphics cards at the time. I'm afraid that if I get a rMBP, even though they don't throttle that it will die prematurely. I want a laptop that will last 4-5 years, and I am worried that a computer with those temps, if your going to use it for work or gaming, that it won't last. I just won't have money to upgrade every second year.

Intel writes on their website that the processors have a Tjunction thresshold of 100c degrees. And Apple claims on their website that 50-90c degrees is within normal acceptable temperatures.

I get that decreased thin chassis with powerful hardware puts more heat. And I know some people talk about laptops being build to withstand that sort of heat. I'm just really concerned by it. I would hate to have a laptop that is amazing in every way, but goes to 90c degrees when watching HD Youtube clips.

I have a Macbook Pro from 2007 that still works without any issues. I used it for all manner of graphics work including video editing and motion graphics and I never had an issue with it overheating. The only problem I had was when one of the fans crapped out when it was out of warranty, but it was fairly easy to replace myself. Aside from that and upgrading the hard drive to a SSD a few years ago, its been rock solid and its still going strong (relatively speaking). I wouldn't worry too much.

Top Bottom