• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

When can we expect the release of the new Macbook Pro? Planning on picking one up soon so I'm wondering whether I should wait.
You should at this point IMO. Waiting myself to join the Apple eco system and I think it can be annouced around there usual septembre conference. But of course no one knows besides Apple

When can we expect the release of the new Macbook Pro? Planning on picking one up soon so I'm wondering whether I should wait.

My vote looking at previous release patterns is October. But they could surprise us all and do a September release, just based on history it's very unlikely

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'd also say October because it's the most logical.

From Apple's perspective:

September has the iOS/iDevice release. Too cluttered. So you need a buffer.

August isn't an option because they know kids are going back to school and will need new computers. They want to sell off the old stock before the new machines come along. If they release the new one before school, no one will buy them.

November is too late, but can still be an option at any point.

But it'll be October. Probably.

LeleSocho

Banned
Ugh. WebP is just another dumb image format to boost page performance when the problem is every fucking page is bloated with ads, tracking scripts, and badly-optimized resources. Lipstick on a pig.

Uuuuuuuh no, WebP is neither the solution to the problem you mentioned nor is it marketed as one.
WebP is the solution of the GIF problem which is buttlike quality images that consumes a mountain of disc space.

Ok so I'm trying to switch from Chrome to Safari and for some reason when I go to Safari preferences it always just goes to extensions and I can't get to regular preferences. Any way to fix this?

Fuchsdh

I'm interested in buying my dad office 2016 for Mac.
Is it really as bad as the reviews say?

My main issue with it is there's really no reason I need subscription software for a productivity suite. Word 2008 still works fine on 10.11, to say nothing of Office 2011. I'd just buy the latter unless your dad would really use the Office 365 features.

Deku Tree

Office 2016 is cool. For me as a casual user I don't notice a difference from 2011 or 2008 other than look and feel. And I'm never gonna use an office 365 subscription.

Deku Tree

Putting a lightening to 3.5mm dongle in the iPhone 7 box seems like such an un-apple thing to do. IDK about this last rumor, Jony. If you gotta include an adaptor and you don't include lightening headphones then IDK... What's the point?

Does MacUpdate Desktop not work anymore? It hasn't notified me of any software updates in a few months now. I just use it with a free account to see if something needs updating, but that doesn't work anymore.

jts

...hate me...
Doesn't Apple sell any HDMI-Thunderbolt (Mini DisplayPort) adapters? There's only one from Belkin in my local online store.
There's tons of good options on eBay/Amazon.

I have a few adapters but my favourite is a straight Mini DisplayPort-HDMI cable. At least it's the one I haven't misplaced yet lol

EmiPrime

Does MacUpdate Desktop not work anymore? It hasn't notified me of any software updates in a few months now. I just use it with a free account to see if something needs updating, but that doesn't work anymore.

MacUpdate is a known adware distributor, you should avoid that site and get rid of all traces of their app.

Ambitious

There's tons of good options on eBay/Amazon.

I have a few adapters but my favourite is a straight Mini DisplayPort-HDMI cable. At least it's the one I haven't misplaced yet lol

I'll have a look.

IME such a utility is unnecessary. All my apps that aren't on the App Store will tell me if they have an update.

Pretty much every good app these days tells you when it has an update. And the best ones use Sparkle to make it dead simple.

I can't think of any apps I use that don't use MAS or Sparkle (besides Adobe.)

Fair enough, but as someone who likes to keep his system up-to-date, I'd rather not have to open every single app in order to figure out whether there are any updates. I used to use AppFresh, but it seems to have been abandoned.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Fair enough, but as someone who likes to keep his system up-to-date, I'd rather not have to open every single app in order to figure out whether there are any updates. I used to use AppFresh, but it seems to have been abandoned.
I'm the same way, but even I'm not that OCD about it.

EmiPrime

Every third party software distributor eventually goes south and starts serving malware. I would never use an updater app, it's a bad practice.

Ambitious

Don't think this is properly implemented yet, does the same thing for me

Oh. Good to know it's not just me, thanks.

Every third party software distributor eventually goes south and starts serving malware. I would never use an updater app, it's a bad practice.

Of course. I never used the built-in update mechanism. I used AppFresh only to get a nice compact list of available updates and then proceeded to manually update the apps.

jts

...hate me...
It’s been a small mess to get everything working on the software side.

Eventually, AirDrop between my Mac and iPhone started working, which was cool.

SMS forwarding, it just doesn’t show up the code on my Mac.

Handoff/continuity, it works from Mac to iPhone, but not the other way around. The translucent icon never shows up on my dock.

A common suggestion I read to fix these is to turn off and on my iCloud account on the Mac. Which I would if it wasn’t such a pain in the ass. Never mind that it will delete my local iCloud files, but also my iCloud Photo Library. Even the thumbs alone are like 20GB. Which I guess is not a big deal to redownload back, but I’m always afraid something will not work out. And downloading the full library (it gives me the option to) is not an option to me. Just GBs upon GBs, and I can’t be arsed just to try and make a few simple features work.

Anyone got a clue for this, and has anyone with iCloud Photo Library turned off and on iCloud on the Mac that can chime in?

Pls respond.

chepu

Hey there GAF! looking for some advice!

I recently migrated to another country and im starting to get back on my feet, Im looking to gift a Macbook Pro to my girlfriend, I have been offered a 13' non retina i5 2012 with 16Gb ram for 580$, is that a good deal?

She's a graphic designer and she only has an el cheapo PC she got back in 2010 for free with an internet provider service combo, the thing has a 2010 Pentium D.

I guess that macbook pro is an update, and Id like to give her an apple laptop since the screen although non retina has good color calibration.

What do you think?

Fuchsdh

Hey there GAF! looking for some advice!

I recently migrated to another country and im starting to get back on my feet, Im looking to gift a Macbook Pro to my girlfriend, I have been offered a 13' non retina i5 2012 with 16Gb ram for 580$, is that a good deal?

She's a graphic designer and she only has an el cheapo PC she got back in 2010 for free with an internet provider service combo, the thing has a 2010 Pentium D.

I guess that macbook pro is an update, and Id like to give her an apple laptop since the screen although non retina has good color calibration.

What do you think?

Looking at eBay prices that price is in the ballpark.

If it hasn't been updated with an SSD, though, I'd recommend that as an aftermarket upgrade. Should run really well with one even compared to modern offerings.

What's the best way to get Mac notifications on an iOS device? For example I am currently uploading a bunch of files using Transmit on my Mac, and I'd like to know when they are completed or if there is an error on my iPhone. Transmit on the Mac will give a notification to Notification Center, But how can I get that notification to the display on my phone? There used to be stuff that sent Growl notifications years ago before Notification Center existed, but what works best now?

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Nope; most of the Mac line is out of date right now.

It's annoying really, I'm in the ecosystem but have no option to upgrade to a somewhat up to date system.

While its great that my iMac still does his thing after 6years, i want something better now but don't want to go the iMac route again. Not being able to use the screen as a standalone monitor (full res.) really is annoying.

ethomaz

Banned
I'm interested in buying my dad office 2016 for Mac.
Is it really as bad as the reviews say?
I have the Office 365 sub that allow 5 machines and one of them is my new MacBook Pro (more 2 Windows 10). Outside the shortcut keys I see no difference compared to Windows version.

Still the best office in the market.

Unless he needs to share or submit files in Office's format it's probably an unnecessary expense. For most people Google docs or the iWork apps is plenty.
Well I tried to use these but the lack of features and compatibility is abysmal.

EmiPrime

Well I tried to use these but the lack of features and compatibility is abysmal.

I agree but they're good enough for most people. I use Word 2011 myself and I probably won't upgrade; MS offer 4 years of Office 365 for £60 to students which seems good on the surface but that's about how much I paid for Office 2011 which will never expire. Subscription software rubs me up the wrong way.

ethomaz

Banned
I agree but they're good enough for most people. I use Word 2011 myself and I probably won't upgrade; MS offer 4 years of Office 365 for £60 to students which seems good on the surface but that's about how much I paid for Office 2011 which will never expire. Subscription software rubs me up the wrong way.
The price I paid here in Brazil for the sub is about 1/4 of a full license and I can install in 5 machines (actually I have installed on my mom PC, my work PC and my Mac)... a full license for these 3 costs 1800 and with that money I can get a 5 years or more sub up to 5 machines.

It is hard to go back to full licenses... I plan to add another notebook to my work using the 4th.

Ambitious

Well, damn. Turns out my first-gen rMBP isn't quite capable of driving two external monitors (in addition to the built-in screen). I mean, it does work, but the fans go wild even if there aren't any apps running. This sucks.

ethomaz

Banned
Can't you just pay $150 for office 2016 with no subscription?
Yes but...

5 licences costs $750.

How much is the yearly subscription??? $80 per year I guess... that means 9 years using the Office 365 plus Outlook, Publisher and Access, 1TB OneDrive per user (max 5), 60 minutes Skype per month, and free upgrades.

365 is indeed cheaper.

PS. I was about to buy the Office license to my mon when I saw I could use the Office 365 sub for all my work computers, my home computer and my mon paying less.

Should iMessage be so spotty?

I have my Mac paired with iPhone and sometimes I get SMS/iMessage on Mac, sometimes on phone, sometimes I see my replies on the second device, sometimes not.

A mess really. Did I mess something up?

jts

...hate me...
So I noticed that my MBPr just charges whenever, i.e., even if I plug it in at 99% it will charge until the battery is topped again.

Whereas my previous MBP wouldn’t charge (by design) between 95% and 100%, after a full charge.

Interesting design change.

mrkgoo

So I noticed that my MBPr just charges whenever, i.e., even if I plug it in at 99% it will charge until the battery is topped again.

Whereas my previous MBP wouldn’t charge (by design) between 95% and 100%, after a full charge.

Interesting design change.

I thought it always charged to 100 when you plugged it in, but once at 100 it wouldn't do a charge if it dropped a bit until around 95. But if you unplugged and plugged it would charge.

It would be counter intuitive to not charge if you plugged it in at 96 and the charger did nothing.

ethomaz

Banned
Jeba&#263;Bied&#281;;211850358 said:
Should iMessage be so spotty?

I have my Mac paired with iPhone and sometimes I get SMS/iMessage on Mac, sometimes on phone, sometimes I see my replies on the second device, sometimes not.

A mess really. Did I mess something up?
You can configure that on your phone... you choose what devices will receive sms/imsg... I disable everything and just use iPhone.

You can even configure to receive in two different iPhones.

jts

...hate me...
I thought it always charged to 100 when you plugged it in, but once at 100 it wouldn't do a charge if it dropped a bit until around 95. But if you unplugged and plugged it would charge.

It would be counter intuitive to not charge if you plugged it in at 96 and the charger did nothing.
No that's exactly what I meant, just worded it wrong. That's how my 2010 MBP behaved.

My 2014 MBPr dropped to 99% and I plugged it in again and it charged again till 100%.

mrkgoo

No that's exactly what I meant, just worded it wrong. That's how my 2010 MBP behaved.

My 2014 MBPr dropped to 99% and I plugged it in again and it charged again till 100%.
That's what I mean, it will always charge to 100% if you freshly plug it in, even if it's at 99. I think. I dunno.

Just seems intuitive - you don't want people thinking somethings broken when you plug it in and nothing happens.

But yeah you don't want to trickle charge all the time so once plugged and reaches 100, it won't charge again until 95 or so. Or are you saying that's what happens now? It doesn't drop below 99?

Top Bottom