• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

jts

...hate me...
That's what I mean, it will always charge to 100% if you freshly plug it in, even if it's at 99. I think. I dunno.

Just seems intuitive - you don't want people thinking somethings broken when you plug it in and nothing happens.

But yeah you don't want to trickle charge all the time so once plugged and reaches 100, it won't charge again until 95 or so. Or are you saying that's what happens now? It doesn't drop below 99?

Ah alright. Lets say both my 2010 MBP and 2014 MBPr are fully charged to 100%.

I pull out the plugs for a bit (and it’s not hard to get magsafe unplugged accidentally etc).

And the charge percentages starts to drop a bit.

My 2010 MBP wouldn’t start charging again (orange LED) until it dropped under 95%. It wouldn’t trickle charge, as you put it.

But my 2014 MBPr seems to start charging again even when it has dropped as little as to 99%. It doesn’t have that 5% slack where it doesn’t "trickle charge". At least apparently, but I will try it again once I’m done with the current full charge.

mrkgoo

Ah alright. Lets say both my 2010 MBP and 2014 MBPr are fully charged to 100%.

I pull out the plugs for a bit (and it’s not hard to get magsafe unplugged accidentally etc).

And the charge percentages starts to drop a bit.

My 2010 MBP wouldn’t start charging again (orange LED) until it dropped under 95%. It wouldn’t trickle charge, as you put it.

But my 2014 MBPr seems to start charging again even when it has dropped as little as to 99%. It doesn’t have that 5% slack where it doesn’t "trickle charge". At least apparently, but I will try it again once I’m done with the current full charge.

Yeah my impression was that if you freshly plug in any MacBook, regardless of charge, even at 99, it will charge to 100.

The prevention of trickle charging was only if it had hit 100 while plugged in - it would drain a bit (to 95) before applying no charge.

But it has been ages since I had a laptop.

Any newer Apps like Shades or Nocturne that can greatly dim a display? Anything that works with external monitors? Anything that can be done at specific times (like dim at night?)

NOT FLUX. That's color temperature, not brightness.

kennah

Well that's fun. My 2015 rMBP developed a vertical line in the display. Still under warranty so I took it in to the Apple Store and they took it straight away to replace. I get a call later that day that they discovered some other issues and needed more parts to do my repair, but if I wanted to pick up the computer and use it while I'm waiting that I could, and use it minus the webcam.

I thought that was strange, but said sure, and went to pick it up. Got a look at their report of the repair and it turns out the person working on my computer had snapped the webcam connector right off of my logic board! So the parts I'm waiting for are a brand new logic board.

Not bad for a simple display swap, hah.

Ambitious

Eh? I just received an email about an "issue" regarding my iCloud credit card information. I checked the information in System Settings, and it said the card was expired, which it isn't. The expiration date and the CVV textfields were empty (as opposed to the card number textfield), so I reentered them. After a few seconds, it said the data could not be saved because of an "issue" with my phone number. I tried it a second time, and now it seems to have worked. Huh.

Deku Tree

Is there a way to turn off clamshell mode with external displays?

It should just happen automatically... If you have an external display plugged in, an external keyboard and mouse setup. Just close the laptop while it's plugged in... then tap on the keyboard or the mouse and it should wake back up and the external screen should power up.

TUSR

Banned
It should just happen automatically... If you have an external display plugged in, an external keyboard and mouse setup. Just close the laptop while it's plugged in... then tap on the keyboard or the mouse and it should wake back up and the external screen should power up.
Thunderbolt Displays don't function like this it seems.

When I close the laptop with all the cables plugged in (power, thunderbolt, and USB) it switches the main display to the TB Display. And doesn't enter sleep mode.

CraigMcD

Thunderbolt Displays don't function like this it seems.

When I close the laptop with all the cables plugged in (power, thunderbolt, and USB) it switches the main display to the TB Display. And doesn't enter sleep mode.

That's what happens with my two Dells connected via DisplayPort. I just have to manually put it to sleep.

Deku Tree

Oh yeah I just tried it. My screen blinks but it doesn't go to sleep when you close the lid. I remember that it used to go to sleep. Dunno maybe I mis-remembered or it was different in an older iteration of OS X.

TUSR

Banned
Oh yeah I just tried it. My screen blinks but it doesn't go to sleep when you close the lid. I remember that it used to go to sleep. Dunno maybe I mis-remembered or it was different in an older iteration of OS X.
Clamshell started in Lion I think. I just wish there was a simple way to turn it off.
That's what happens with my two Dells connected via DisplayPort. I just have to manually put it to sleep.
I just use my wireless trackpad to put it to sleep. But again, this seems like such a simple thing to have an option for.

Ambitious

My Mac mini is screwed up. Literally every action, like opening an app, activating Spotlight or even just closing a window results in a beachball which lasts for at least 30 seconds. It was still working fine yesterday evening, and I haven't used it since them. I've already tried restarting it. Haven't found anything suspicious in Console.app yet.

edit: HDD issue. Gonna try to repair it.

edit 2: Unable to repair. Error code 8. No further details.

Deku Tree

My Mac mini is screwed up. Literally every action, like opening an app, activating Spotlight or even just closing a window results in a beachball which lasts for at least 30 seconds. It was still working fine yesterday evening, and I haven't used it since them. I've already tried restarting it. Haven't found anything suspicious in Console.app yet.

edit: HDD issue. Gonna try to repair it.

edit 2: Unable to repair. Error code 8. No further details.

Might need a new HDD

Deku Tree

EDIT: ^^^ exactly what I was thinking.

Apparently, wiping the disk has helped at least some people with the same problem, so I'm trying this now.

You can wipe a disk with a some bad blocks and then have it work fine until you read or write onto those blocks again. Depending upon how big the disk is this could happen quickly or slowly. I'm not saying that this is will happen to you in your current situation but it has happened to me.

If you have another external disk you can try running off that and see if it works. If it does then you know it's your HDD.

whitehawk

Banned
Hey I have a couple of questions, any help would be appreaciated.

My iMac has gotten pretty slow at time. I think it's time for a complete refresh.

1. Should I install El Capitan? I have a mid 2011 21.5" iMac. I'm wondering if it would actually run slower or not (I'm on mavericks right now).

- If want to do a full refresh, should I install the update first and then wipe everything and do the reinstall OS feature? Would that keep me on El Capitan, or the OS the iMac shipped with?

2. My Time Machine should be good for a backup right? I don't think I would want to do a restore, but use it to pick and choose what I want to copy back to my iMac

Thanks everyone!

EmiPrime

Hey I have a couple of questions, any help would be appreaciated.

My iMac has gotten pretty slow at time. I think it's time for a complete refresh.

1. Should I install El Capitan? I have a mid 2011 21.5" iMac. I'm wondering if it would actually run slower or not (I'm on mavericks right now).

- If want to do a full refresh, should I install the update first and then wipe everything and do the reinstall OS feature? Would that keep me on El Capitan, or the OS the iMac shipped with?

2. My Time Machine should be good for a backup right? I don't think I would want to do a restore, but use it to pick and choose what I want to copy back to my iMac

Thanks everyone!

Always keep your Mac OS fully updated. Mavericks has unpatched vulnerabilities that Apple will never fix. There hasn't been a performance penalty to upgrading since Lion so don't worry!

whitehawk

Banned
Always keep your Mac OS fully updated. Mavericks has unpatched vulnerabilities that Apple will never fix. There hasn't been a performance penalty to upgrading since Lion so don't worry!
Thanks man, I'll be upgrading. Should I do a full wipe/reinstall first, or should I upgrade first?

Deku Tree

Thanks man, I'll be upgrading. Should I do a full wipe/reinstall first, or should I upgrade first?

Up to you. A few years ago I got caught up in an awful Mavericks bug that wiped my external backup drive because of some legacy western digital program that had been running in the background on my computer for years unecessarily. If I had done a clean install at some point that wouldn't have happened. But that's pretty rare even more so now that Apple is running the open betas. Most likely your fine just upgrading without wiping.

whitehawk

Banned
I always just upgrade. I've never needed to do a wipe and reinstall even to/from betas.

Up to you. A few years ago I got caught up in an awful Mavericks bug that wiped my external backup drive because of some legacy western digital program that had been running in the background on my computer for years unecessarily. If I had done a clean install at some point that wouldn't have happened. But that's pretty rare even more so now that Apple is running the open betas. Most likely your fine just upgrading without wiping.
Thanks. I think I'll try an upgrade first and then possibly wipe it.

Fuchsdh

I'm firmly in the "wipe it" camp, especially if you're interested in making your Mac feel snappier again. It forces me to actually think about all the crap I've accumulated on my Mac over the years as a bonus. I tend to wipe as opposed to upgrading every other or every three OS versions.

Starting a system fresh is so refreshing, honestly. It's like you can breathe again

The biggest hassle is getting all the system and program preferences back how you like them

Ambitious

Realistically wiping the HDD might just mask the issue until it crops up again later.

EDIT: ^^^ exactly what I was thinking.

You can wipe a disk with a some bad blocks and then have it work fine until you read or write onto those blocks again. Depending upon how big the disk is this could happen quickly or slowly. I'm not saying that this is will happen to you in your current situation but it has happened to me.

If you have another external disk you can try running off that and see if it works. If it does then you know it's your HDD.

Does it necessarily have to be a irreparable (hardware) issue? I haven't found out the meaning of error 8 yet.
Anyway, after wiping the disk and reinstalling OS X, the error is gone. For now.

Deku Tree

Does it necessarily have to be a irreparable (hardware) issue? I haven't found out the meaning of error 8 yet.
Anyway, after wiping the disk and reinstalling OS X, the error is gone. For now.

I don't know. I would say be sure to have a backup. Should do that even if you didn't have this problem. Use time machine.

If it is bad blocks on your HDD then wiping just masks the issue until you come across those blocks again. Wiping just re-writes the meta data (the directory) on your HDD that tells it where to find stuff.

BondFancy

Another day, another lack of a RMBP rumor. I keep telling myself one more week and we will hear something. At this rate we won't see anything leak or official till after the back to school sale.

Fuchsdh

I knew we wouldn't get official info till after the back to school sale, however I am surprised nothing too big on the leak side of things. Besides the alleged chassis leak, but that was months ago.

It's a lot easier for iPhone components to leak given the sheer number of people and companies involved at every stage. Macs are lower volume (thus lower interest) and have fewer spots in the chain for leaks.

Deku Tree

Another day, another lack of a RMBP rumor. I keep telling myself one more week and we will hear something. At this rate we won't see anything leak or official till after the back to school sale.

About that http://9to5mac.com/2016/08/08/new-m...-id-power-button-as-well-as-oled-touch-panel/

The KGI note which first reported the OLED function key display also suggested that the new MacBook Pros would offer ‘Touch ID support,’ but did not contain any specifics. Incorporating it into the power button would clearly make sense, allowing the same one-touch process to power-on and authenticate as is possible with the Home button on current iPhones. Resources spotted in macOS Sierra also hint at Touch ID on future Macs.

The previous report said that the new MacBook Pro models would be launched sometime in the fourth quarter of the year. The note suggested that the MacBook Air would be presented as the entry-level machine, a new 13-inch MacBook as the mid-tier and the two MacBook Pro models continuing to head up the range.

The new MacBook Pros are expected to be feature USB-C, with embedded support for Thunderbolt 3. Claimed chassis shots show room for four USB-C ports, with MagSafe gone.

Deku Tree

So my apple Magic Trackpad 2 charges via lightening cable connected to my iMac... but it DOESNT charge via lightening cable connected to an iPad or an iPhone charger... I have tested it several times... why is that?

So my apple Magic Trackpad 2 charges via lightening cable connected to my iMac... but it DOESNT charge via lightening cable connected to an iPad or an iPhone charger... I have tested it several times... why is that?

That's.... weird. I charge my Magic Keyboard via iPad charger all the time. I don't HAVE a computer to plug it in to

I am currently in the market for buying a new MacBook. It will mainly be use for college so I was wondering what would you guys think between the MacBook air, pro, and retina display. Personally, I am leaning towards a 13-inch macbook pro w/ retina display. If you guys and gals have either the air or pro, how do you like it? Besides the specs, anything else I should know regarding the air, pro and retina display vs non-retina display? I can upgrade the memory if I want right? And the former Mini DisplayPort adapters would still work on the newer air and pro as well?

Deku Tree

I am currently in the market for buying a new MacBook. It will mainly be use for college so I was wondering what would you guys think between the MacBook air, pro, and retina display. Personally, I am leaning towards a 13-inch macbook pro w/ retina display. If you guys and gals have either the air or pro, how do you like it? Besides the specs, anything else I should know regarding the air, pro and retina display vs non-retina display? I can upgrade the memory if I want right? And the former Mini DisplayPort adapters would still work on the newer air and pro as well?

New ones probably coming out in October RAWR if you want to wait or feel like you'll be upset that you didn't get the latest thing. Rumors about it have been posted above. Current ones are also great and they have back to school sales now.

13-inch macbook pro w/ retina display Is a good compromise between power, size and, portability. The 15 is little big to lug around, and the Air/MacBook are totally adequate and very fast for regular usage they're also more portable. The 13 is in between in terms of power and size. Also max out the ram if you can.

New ones probably coming out in October RAWR if you want to wait or feel like you'll be upset that you didn't get the latest thing. Rumors about it have been posted above. Current ones are also great and they have back to school sales now.

13-inch macbook pro w/ retina display Is a good compromise between power, size and, portability. The 15 is little big to lug around, and the Air/MacBook are totally adequate and very fast for regular usage they're also more portable. The 13 is in between in terms of power and size. Also max out the ram if you can.

Hey, Deku thanks a bunch!
BTW are you ready to return to our destiny next month :p hope all is well btw
. Didn't know there was a new version coming out in October. I will look into that more at a later time. Should I assume that with MagSafe ( the plug-in charger right? ) gone, there will be a new different charger? Kinda lost regarding the OLED you mention above. To the best of your knowledge, I know its all rumors so far :p, would that mean the new MacBooks would have an OLED touchscreen in addition to the retina display? Regardless it should be safe to assume that the OLED would make it more expensive as well. And one last thing, it's just a new model aka different specs and a few things for the new version of the MacBook?

Thanks, I will prob stop by best buy or something to check out the difference between the MacBooks. And just wondering if you know how often are their MacBook sales ?

Deku Tree

Hey, Deku thanks a bunch!
BTW are you ready to return to our destiny next month :p hope all is well btw
. Didn't know there was a new version coming out in October. I will look into that more at a later time. Should I assume that with MagSafe ( the plug-in charger right? ) gone, there will be a new different charger? Kinda lost regarding the OLED you mention above. To the best of your knowledge, I know its all rumors so far :p, would that mean the new MacBooks would have an OLED touchscreen in addition to the retina display? Regardless it should be safe to assume that the OLED would make it more expensive as well. And one last thing, it's just a new model aka different specs and a few things for the new version of the MacBook?

Thanks, I will prob stop by best buy or something to check out the difference between the MacBooks. And just wondering if you know how often are their MacBook sales ?

Hi RAWR!
I pre-ordered RoI and I'll play through it including the Raid. Not sure whether or not I'll grind the raid every week. Depends on how fun it is... ...and on IRL stuff too.

I would think the prices will stay pretty much the same. And the old models will get slightly discounted. I think that Mac's go on sale very infrequently, but every year they have a back to school promotion. I don't really follow the sales much... You can also get Education pricing through Apple with a College or University Student ID card.

The OLED is only for one panel where the function keys are now on the keyboard. It is rumored to provide context sensitive and application specific buttons on the OLED touch panel:

macbooktouchpanelspotify.jpg

That is an artist rendering... It is rumored to also possibly have some sort of touch ID.

The main screen is supposed to be retina but probably not a touch screen I would guess.

Otherwise thinner with possibly fewer ports, faster processor with maybe better battery life or slightly lighter with smaller battery, maybe faster PCI-e SSD, with USB-C, no-magsafe, so you charge through the USB-C port with an included charger.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
If it actually looked and functioned like that I'd be intrigued. I wouldn't mind having a persistent clock down there since with Fullscreen and the ability to hide the menubar it means that formerly persistent menubar clock is no longer a sure thing. I'd totally rethink my menubar utilities if it let me have a clock down there. I REALLY hope third party apps can hack into it and customize it. I'm hoping for BTT to be the ones to do it. I'll bet it'll have its own miniature integrated GPU chip.

God I just hope it's easily hackable and customizable. I could see it as a second coming of Widgets if it could. Okay, third coming I guess. (Sidebar Widgets are second I guess.)

Oh god. If iStats could place its info down there... Makes me wish this could be a secondary touch pad aside from the normal F keys instead of a replacement. Man, they should have made it twice the height. Cram as much as you can down there.

Plus it'll probably most definitely have a Retina display too.

Just make sure we have more than one stupid USB-C port and at least one USB-C to USB 3 adapter in the box and I don't care if you remove a bunch of ports I rarely use. Put 4 on it. Two on each side. And let us charge from any port. So we can finally charge from the right side. No more stressed cables because the cable comes from the right and makes a tight U-turn into the port.

And keep the headphone jack please. It's not the time yet for Macs.

And the SD slot even though I never use it. Okay fine, you can remove it if you have to.

Just don't forget why it's called a MacBook Pro.

jts

...hate me...
Hope you turned if off immediately. You may be able to clean it before any permanent damage is done.
I did! I flipped it around and turned it off immediately.

Then I cleaned it up and haven't turned it on since. (it has been some 12 hours since)

I still want to do a relatively thorough keyboard cleanup (key by key) and wait a good while longer.

I got some hope, but still this is crushing. 5 years of my previous MBP and nothing, 3 weeks of owning this one and this happens.

If it actually looked and functioned like that I'd be intrigued. I wouldn't mind having a persistent clock down there since with Fullscreen and the ability to hide the menubar it means that formerly persistent menubar clock is no longer a sure thing. I'd totally rethink my menubar utilities if it let me have a clock down there. I REALLY hope third party apps can hack into it and customize it. I'm hoping for BTT to be the ones to do it. I'll bet it'll have its own miniature integrated GPU chip.

God I just hope it's easily hackable and customizable. I could see it as a second coming of Widgets if it could. Okay, third coming I guess. (Sidebar Widgets are second I guess.)

Oh god. If iStats could place its info down there... Makes me wish this could be a secondary touch pad aside from the normal F keys instead of a replacement. Man, they should have made it twice the height. Cram as much as you can down there.

Plus it'll probably most definitely have a Retina display too.
Yeah, I have to agree that using the OLED strip as a sort of heads-up display (rather than as a row of function keys) would be vastly more appealing a lot of the time. Scrubber bar for audio/video would be great (though it'd likely require everything to use AVKit natively and might not work with HTML5 wrappers), as would a clock and Apple Watch-style complications. Having notifications pop through to that bar instead of onscreen might be nice too. And yes, iStat would be brilliant.

I don't know how good a thin oblong horizontal bar would be for richer interactive widgets, but basic slightly-interactive information display switchable with a set of function keys would be marvelous.

Top Bottom