• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

mrkgoo

It's too late. Seems okay, though...

The address is familiar from previous updates, and I scan my computer constantly.

It's funny (well not funny really) that your OCD makes you need reassurance that this is all legit. It's the same with me.

It's and Adobe.com address so it's likely legit. The get3 is probably like a mirror for them to manage load depending on what region you're in.

Whelp seems like iOS beta 4 nuked my message history with one of my friends. I have nothing prior to 8pm. So random like all of an 15 min ago my entire message history was there, then I check it a few seconds ago...gone but only with that one friend like wtf? lol. Went on my Mac to sync my messages hoping that it's just a visual error and they are still there...newp
KuGsj.gif

mrkgoo

Whelp seems like iOS beta 4 nuked my message history with one of my friends. I have nothing prior to 8pm. So random like all of an 15 min ago my entire message history was there, then I check it a few seconds ago...gone but only with that one friend like wtf? lol. Went on my Mac to sync my messages hoping that it's just a visual error and they are still there...newp
KuGsj.gif

Are you sure you didn't just accidentally delete the entire message conversation? It's actually pretty easy to do.

They put the confirm button (or at least used to I think) where there would otherwise be a back button.

Message history doesn't sync across devices only income in messages so typically other reviews that are receiving messages won't have their history erased.

Are you sure you didn't just accidentally delete the entire message conversation? It's actually pretty easy to do.

They put the confirm button (or at least used to I think) where there would otherwise be a back button.

Message history doesn't sync across devices only income in messages so typically other reviews that are receiving messages won't have their history erased.

Positive since I still have messages that would have been nuked if I deleted the convo.

I think I've found the issues though, she sent me like 9 video messages back to back and iOS 10 doesn't like that. She sent me a text while she was at work and that made older messages load (took about 8 seconds to load the older messages).

Alternatively if I search for an older messages it brings it up then I can scroll down to our current convo.

However if I leave our convo (back) or kill the message app then open it back up it reverts back to only showing me messages till 8pm yesterday. Which is right after she sent me the 9 video messages.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
So I have a 2003 eMac in my closet. It needs a new hard drive (the stock hard drive died in 2008 not long after a new iMac replaced it) but is otherwise in great condition.

Is it worth dropping a SSD into and cleaning out or is the G4 so old and out of date that it's just not worth even playing around with anymore?

Deku Tree

So I have a 2003 eMac in my closet. It needs a new hard drive (the stock hard drive died in 2008 not long after a new iMac replaced it) but is otherwise in great condition.

Is it worth dropping a SSD into and cleaning out or is the G4 so old and out of date that it's just not worth even playing around with anymore?

That's extremely old, and the eMac was never a power house, but it's up to you and what you want to do with it.

I'm pretty sure that you will need to have a disk copy of OS9 or whatever is the latest Mac OS that is supported by your eMac. You wont have recent Mac OS support.

mrkgoo

Positive since I still have messages that would have been nuked if I deleted the convo.

I think I've found the issues though, she sent me like 9 video messages back to back and iOS 10 doesn't like that. She sent me a text while she was at work and that made older messages load (took about 8 seconds to load the older messages).

Alternatively if I search for an older messages it brings it up then I can scroll down to our current convo.

However if I leave our convo (back) or kill the message app then open it back up it reverts back to only showing me messages till 8pm yesterday. Which is right after she sent me the 9 video messages.
Sounds like the messages weren't deleted, just some optimisation making them not appear. Hopefully this sort of thing gets ironed out. Maybe you can submit a bug report since you're on the beta.

Take it to the e-waste shop.

The biggest thing preventing old Macs being useful is a lack of a modern browser for whatever OS they can support.

Old x86 boxes can run Linux; really no point in trying it on PPC.

Fuchsdh

Don't forget old games :) Still got to get my MDD G4 up and running for StarCraft, WarCraft, AoE, and all my long-lost Mac shareware games.

Is there some sort of notepad/screen shot app that can be used with my Wacom tablet?

I watch a lot of tutorials and I would love to be able to pause, scribble notes and save it as a jpeg/pdf for later use. Right now I have to take a screenshot, bring it into Photoshop and then save it out like that which seems like a buzz kill.

jts

...hate me...
Damages from my MacBook Pro came quoted at 1200€, which is more than I even paid for it (which was 900€).

I don't even understand why do you need to replace the case for liquid damage, I mean the electronics, sure. But the case? The guy even said the SSD (256GB) is likely not damaged, which is supposed to be a costly part of it. Laptop repairs are such a scam.

All that being said, I'm still in the process of finding out if insurance will cover for it.

If not, I guess I will be looking into selling it for parts (display etc) to cut my losses and face perhaps a loss of 600€... :(
Harsh, very harsh. It will be the cost of the lesson of NEVER, EVER again have liquids next to a laptop, even though that never happened to me before in more than a decade of owning a laptop.

Oh, and a broken heart. That computer was absolute pristine. I barely knew ye, retina MacBook Pro.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Take it to the e-waste shop.

The biggest thing preventing old Macs being useful is a lack of a modern browser for whatever OS they can support.

Old x86 boxes can run Linux; really no point in trying it on PPC.

I was thinking it over last night and I might actually turn it into an emulation machine. Get a few USB controllers and since it uses a CRT display games will look pretty good on it.

I just have to spend the time getting in there to replace the faulty HDD, which is going to be a pain.

Fuchsdh

Another point in favor of reusing or adapting that eMac is it's got a CRT in it. Chances are, any legitimate e-waste shop is going to charge you for disposing of it given the waste hazards; my local place is $2 for every inch of screen.

jts

...hate me...
Had the insurance deciding favorably for me, got me a good chunk of money, now I will wait for next month before making a decision 👍

jts

...hate me...
Awesome! Let me know if you part out your old one. Could use a 256gig SSD ;)
Thanks, and cheers I'll let you know, but there's also a good chance I might just give use to that SSD, depending on what I get.

On that note, does anyone know if I can install a 2014 MBP SSD in a 2015 MBP? A discounted 128GB 2015 MBP would be tempting that way...

mrkgoo

Thanks, and cheers I'll let you know, but there's also a good chance I might just give use to that SSD, depending on what I get.

On that note, does anyone know if I can install a 2014 MBP SSD in a 2015 MBP? A discounted 128GB 2015 MBP would be tempting that way...

I'm guessing no. In general it's only doable for the same computer. I believe the ssd were upgraded int the 2015 models.

Guess it's possible the connection and slots are the same, but you never know if there's some other mojo or incompatibility in the board etc.

kingocfs

Hey, guys. Is $800 for a 2015 12" MacBook a good enough deal to overlook the specs compared to an Air? Getting it from someone I know who barely uses it. 15 battery charges I think since Jan. 2016.

It's going to sit in an office all day, pretty much. Nothing super intensive other than screen sharing/web apps.

Would also be my first MacBook if that matters at all. Thanks for the help.

Hey, guys. Is $800 for a 2015 12" MacBook a good enough deal to overlook the specs compared to an Air? Getting it from someone I know who barely uses it. 15 battery charges I think since Jan. 2016.

It's going to sit in an office all day, pretty much. Nothing super intensive other than screen sharing/web apps.

Would also be my first MacBook if that matters at all. Thanks for the help.

Do you know the specific specs? Processor/storage? Was it actually purchased in January?

The base model refurbished through Apple is $930, so $800 depending on the specs and condition and warranty left could be a really solid deal

I would say if your use case is just leaving it in an office you won't get much more utility out of it than an Air. The MacBook's strengths are lack of moving parts (including a fan) and complete portability. Neither of those will make much a difference if it spends its life in one spot. With your usage I wouldn't be concerned about the specs of the thing, it should be fine. Though I know the 2016 model saw a pretty big improvement

Daria

Gorman says no updated MBP at September event, Gruber says Apple doesn't want to do October events anymore.

Cook, this is your chance to break the "One More Thing" hiatus and preview the updated MBP, even with a release date a couple months out. But honestly at this point if specs are overwhelming to justify the price, I'm maxing out a Mac Mini and getting a 4K display.

kingocfs

Do you know the specific specs? Processor/storage? Was it actually purchased in January?

The base model refurbished through Apple is $930, so $800 depending on the specs and condition and warranty left could be a really solid deal

I would say if your use case is just leaving it in an office you won't get much more utility out of it than an Air. The MacBook's strengths are lack of moving parts (including a fan) and complete portability. Neither of those will make much a difference if it spends its life in one spot. With your usage I wouldn't be concerned about the specs of the thing, it should be fine. Though I know the 2016 model saw a pretty big improvement

It's the base model as far as I know:

1.1 GHz Intel Core M
8 GB RAM
250 GB SSD

Definitely purchased in Jan, she said Apple Care ran through Dec. Been deciding between this and an 11" or 13" Air refurb. Just really turned off by the display for the price. Not really interested in the Pro since I don't plan on pushing it and I have a PC at home. I also kind of need it in the next 2 weeks, so waiting for a refresh is out of the question.

1.1 GHz Intel Core M
8 GB RAM
250 GB SSD

Definitely purchased in Jan, she said Apple Care ran through Dec. Been deciding between this and an 11" or 13" Air refurb. Just really turned off by the display for the price. Not really interested in the Pro since I don't plan on pushing it and I have a PC at home. I also kind of need it in the next 2 weeks, so waiting for a refresh is out of the question.

Yeah I could never get an Air with that screen. I've always been fascinated by the rMB, fabless and all. If you want it, go for it, I think $800 is a good price. As long as you know you aren't going to get a powerhouse you should be in a good spot

Also make sure you like the new keyboard design before you commit. I know personally I love it but it can be very divisive

Fuchsdh

1.1 GHz Intel Core M
8 GB RAM
250 GB SSD

Seems like a good deal. For basic word and web stuff the processor should handle it no problem, getting an Air wouldn't translate to a better experience and as you say the screen isn't as nice.

kingocfs

Yeah I could never get an Air with that screen. I've always been fascinated by the rMB, fabless and all. If you want it, go for it, I think $800 is a good price. As long as you know you aren't going to get a powerhouse you should be in a good spot

Also make sure you like the new keyboard design before you commit. I know personally I love it but it can be very divisive

I tried it a bit at the Amazon Show Room, didn't bother me too much. Definitely will take some getting used to though.

Seems like a good deal. For basic word and web stuff the processor should handle it no problem, getting an Air wouldn't translate to a better experience and as you say the screen isn't as nice.

Cool, thanks guys. Will get it Monday.

jts

...hate me...
I'm guessing no. In general it's only doable for the same computer. I believe the ssd were upgraded int the 2015 models.

Guess it's possible the connection and slots are the same, but you never know if there's some other mojo or incompatibility in the board etc.

Thanks to both!

I've been researching and there does seem to be a certain compatibility between models, seeing as:

• The OWC SSD upgrade kit is the same for both 2014 or 2015
  • They have tested a Mac Pro SSD (faster) in a 2014 MBPr, it worked.

I think I'll try to email OWC to make sure but signs look positive.

I'd also like to first test the drive and salvage the data, but their SSD enclosures for it are like $100, ouch.

Hey guys last year I got a Macbook Air around this time in August. I used Bootcamp to put Windows 10 on it last August when I got it.

I just noticed that the headphone jack doesn't work with headphones when I'm in Windows 10. Any help with this?

Thanks.

jts

...hate me...
Got OWC to reply to me telling that 100% I can use a 2014 MBP SSD in a 2015 model. Very nice of them.

But OS-wise I cannot just simply perform a straight swap, right? Was still trying to circumvent the whole buying an enclosure route... especially as I already have a deal targeted.

Got OWC to reply to me telling that 100% I can use a 2014 MBP SSD in a 2015 model. Very nice of them.

But OS-wise I cannot just simply perform a straight swap, right? Was still trying to circumvent the whole buying an enclosure route... especially as I already have a deal targeted.

You can probably do a swap. The only time I know it is problematic is if the new Mac shipped with a custom build of the OS at the same or newer point release as the old one. If the old one is up to date on an OS newer than what shipped on the new Mac, it should just work.

jts

...hate me...
Can you make a bootable OSX thumb drive and then boot from that and then format your 2015 drive that way without buying an enclosure?
Issue is I don't want to delete the contents in my *current* SSD which I don't have access to without an enclosure or a functional compatible Mac. Otherwise I could just do it like that or simply use internet recovery mode.

You can probably do a swap. The only time I know it is problematic is if the new Mac shipped with a custom build of the OS at the same or newer point release as the old one. If the old one is up to date on an OS newer than what shipped on the new Mac, it should just work.
I see. Seems like I should be covered. Thanks!

Megabat

Hey, everyone. I've got a question: is it a good idea to pick up a 2015 MacBook now? I need a standard browsing/writing/whatever-else-I-can-get-away-with computer (that will last 4-6 years (longevity is the main reason I'm looking at Mac and not a ~$200 Windows notebook)).

I've seen the base 8GB/256GB model $930 + tax refurbished from Apple, and $920 new on OWC. MacBook Air models with the same RAM and storage amounts seem to cost more. I know that new Pro models are coming out in fall, and that new Airs are coming out next year, and (unless they cost considerably less) I'm not interested in waiting. Since RAM and storage matter to me more than processor speed, the year-old model seems like a solid choice.

I think there's an angle to this I'm not quite seeing. I've never seen someone recommend a retina MacBook for practical reasons.

Hey, everyone. I've got a question: is it a good idea to pick up a 2015 MacBook now? I need a standard browsing/writing/whatever-else-I-can-get-away-with computer (that will last 4-6 years (longevity is the main reason I'm looking at Mac and not a ~$200 Windows notebook)).

I've seen the base 8GB/256GB model $930 + tax refurbished from Apple, and $920 new on OWC. MacBook Air models with the same RAM and storage amounts seem to cost more. I know that new Pro models are coming out in fall, and that new Airs are coming out next year, and (unless they cost considerably less) I'm not interested in waiting. Since RAM and storage matter to me more than processor speed, the year-old model seems like a solid choice.

I think there's an angle to this I'm not quite seeing. I've never seen someone recommend a retina MacBook for practical reasons.

Don't expect new Airs, that line is most likely dead. The MacBooks are taking over that slot

As far as your use case, you might be good. Keep in mind the angle is that the only port is a USB-C port and a headphone jack. Nothing else

Ambitious

I assume most posters here will probably already have heard about it, especially considering that the news is already three weeks old now. But I thought I'd post it nonetheless, for those who might have missed it. (Might actually be thread-worthy, I guess)

There's now an 1Password subscription service. In a nutshell:
- Full access to all apps (iOS, Mac, Android, Windows)
- Sync Service
- Web Access
- $2.99 a month for one person (no limit on the number of devices), $4.99
- Six months free trial

Quite appealing, I think. Still, I'm wary of storing my passwords online, even with AgileBits. But maybe that's just paranoia. I'm very confident in 1Password's security, but nonetheless I'm gonna wait and see for a while before trying this service.
Also, I'm disappointed that they don't offer any discounts for people who bought the apps, like me. Of course, I'm not entitled to any discounts, but I still think it would have been a good move by them.

Oh, and by the way: They will keep selling the non-subscription versions for the foreseeable future.

Megabat

Don't expect new Airs, that line is most likely dead. The MacBooks are taking over that slot

As far as your use case, you might be good. Keep in mind the angle is that the only port is a USB-C port and a headphone jack. Nothing else

Thanks for the reply.
Yeah, it's a tough choice between the MacBook and a Dell XPS with linux, TB3, and two type-A ports.

I assume most posters here will probably already have heard about it, especially considering that the news is already three weeks old now. But I thought I'd post it nonetheless, for those who might have missed it. (Might actually be thread-worthy, I guess)

There's now an 1Password subscription service. In a nutshell:
- Full access to all apps (iOS, Mac, Android, Windows)
- Sync Service
- Web Access
- $2.99 a month for one person (no limit on the number of devices), $4.99
- Six months free trial

Quite appealing, I think. Still, I'm wary of storing my passwords online, even with AgileBits. But maybe that's just paranoia. I'm very confident in 1Password's security, but nonetheless I'm gonna wait and see for a while before trying this service.
Also, I'm disappointed that they don't offer any discounts for people who bought the apps, like me. Of course, I'm not entitled to any discounts, but I still think it would have been a good move by them.

Oh, and by the way: They will keep selling the non-subscription versions for the foreseeable future.

Why 1password over lastpass?

Blackhead

Redarse

Thanks for the reply.
Yeah, it's a tough choice between the MacBook and a Dell XPS with linux, TB3, and two type-A ports.

Will this be your main/only computer? 2015 MacBook is not going to last another 4-6 years.

Megabat

Will this be your main/only computer? 2015 MacBook is not going to last another 4-6 years.

Probably should've said in my first post, but this will be my second machine. I have a solid desktop PC.

In what way do you expect it to fall short? Do you think performance will degrade with OS updates?

Probably should've said in my first post, but this will be my second machine. I have a solid desktop PC.

In what way do you expect it to fall short? Do you think performance will degrade with OS updates?

Hardware is relatively underpowered. Think back to the first iteration of Macbook Air.

Ambitious

I never really had a closer look at LastPass, to be honest. 1Password always got glowing reviews and lots of praise, and it's possible to use it completely offline. Their apps have always been great and well integrated into their respective platforms. I believe when I bought 1PW back then, LastPass didn't even have a native Mac app, so this would have been a dealbreaker for me. I prefer native apps over web apps.

Fuchsdh

For me, I prefer the fact that I have control over how my content is syncing; I trust hiding my shit behind iCloud or another service more than I do using these company's offerings.

As Ambitious mentioned, 1Password was Mac and iOS-first from the get-go, and it's also got a more Maclike design language.

Top Bottom