• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The benefit to using Dropbox or iCloud to sync 1Password is that not only do you get the encryption of those services but also the encryption of the database itself.

giga

I used to use Dropbox and iCloud to sync my 1password vault but switched to the subscription so I could get the better web interface from agilebits. The 1password anywhere interface required for the former hasn't been updated in ages.

gogojira

For me, I prefer the fact that I have control over how my content is syncing; I trust hiding my shit behind iCloud or another service more than I do using these company's offerings.

As Ambitious mentioned, 1Password was Mac and iOS-first from the get-go, and it's also got a more Maclike design language.

Some people were also put off by Lastpass being bought by Logmein. https://www.troyhunt.com/logmein-now-owns-lastpass-heres-how-to/

1Pass is great. I bought the Windows/Mac combo and love it.

For me, I prefer the fact that I have control over how my content is syncing; I trust hiding my shit behind iCloud or another service more than I do using these company's offerings.

As Ambitious mentioned, 1Password was Mac and iOS-first from the get-go, and it's also got a more Maclike design language.

It's worth the $64.99 License for 1Password? That seems to be a bit of dough.

So far I'm using the free version of LastPass.

EmiPrime

I used to use Dropbox and iCloud to sync my 1password vault but switched to the subscription so I could get the better web interface from agilebits. The 1password anywhere interface required for the former hasn't been updated in ages.

I think 1Password Anywhere stopped working a while ago which was unfortunate for Chromebook users.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
To me the license is worth it over recurring subscription fees. I got in when I think it was just $5 or 6 for iOS and double that for the Mac version, though.
Well 1Password put this PR out a few weeks ago:
https://blog.agilebits.com/2016/08/03/new-1password-hosted-service/

They're switching to a subscription. $3 a month for one person, $5 for Family. But until September 21, you get 6 months free.

So far though I haven't seen any push for it through the app itself. I dont know when they'll start making people do it. It'll probably be an update at some point.

I know I'lll be doing it, but it's silly to think I pay less per month for my iCloud Drive than I would be for a password manager.

Fuchsdh

Well 1Password put this PR out a few weeks ago:
https://blog.agilebits.com/2016/08/03/new-1password-hosted-service/

They're switching to a subscription. $3 a month for one person, $5 for Family. But until September 21, you get 6 months free.

So far though I haven't seen any push for it through the app itself. I dont know when they'll start making people do it. It'll probably be an update at some point.

I know I'lll be doing it, but it's silly to think I pay less per month for my iCloud Drive than I would be for a password manager.

You can still buy a license, but it's clearly buried so that people think you have to subscribe.

jts

...hate me...
Changed my mind about getting a 2015 MBPr for now. This guy that was supposed to sell me a BNIB with proper invoice and a good discount had a shady unit... keyboard language didn't match and apparently it didn't even had a serial number under it. lol. I say apparently because I wasn't physically there. When I heard about it I backed out of it fast.

So what the hell, at this point I can't anymore not wait for the September event, I may even go balls out if it comes out then, and if I like what I see, USB-C only be damned (provided the prices don't spike). And if I don't like it I'll certainly find 2015 models discounted from stores anyway.

Lord have mercy, my iPhone will tide me over, as well as the house's Windows laptop.

Fuchsdh

I'd give it a higher likelihood since apple prefers to wait for native support.

Apple will be crucified, and rightly so, for missing the bulk of holiday sales, especially as Mac sales have already been cratering in the face of no new products. They're not waiting for Kaby Lake if Kaby Lake is coming out December or later.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Skylake doesn't support it natively, while Kaby lake does.
There's nothing in this find that suggests it means native support on the CPU itself, AFAIK.

As much as I'd love Apple to pull some kind of magic trick out of their moneyhat and get some Kaby Lake chips before anyone else can, I just don't see it happening. This isn't the Apple of old :(

Fuchsdh

There's nothing in this find that suggests it means native support on the CPU itself, AFAIK.

As much as I'd love Apple to pull some kind of magic trick out of their moneyhat and get some Kaby Lake chips before anyone else can, I just don't see it happening. This isn't the Apple of old :(

It's also not the Intel of old. Given all the production bottlenecks, delays, and phased rollouts of their generations these days, I dunno if they could give Apple a sweetheart deal even if they were incentivized to do so.

Deku Tree

Apple has to deliver 10Gb/s USB ports in their next update with or without Kaby lake. All indications point to no kaby lake in mac laptops until 2017.

jts

...hate me...
Really warming up to the idea of USB-C only now. I could even get by with a single passive hub.

One with USB-A x2, gigabit ethernet, and HDMI... please?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Really warming up to the idea of USB-C only now. I could even get by with a single passive hub.

One with USB-A x2, gigabit ethernet, and HDMI... please?
I'd be fine with just two USB-C ports as long as they're on each side. 4 on a pro would be fine but I could make with 2 as long as it has an available all in one hub and a single USB-A adapter for on the go. The hub should have USB-A, HDMI and SD at least. Ethernet could be an option. I wouldn't need it but it'd be there.

Outside of the better integrated graphics, for the 15" MBP at least, it will be possible for Apple to offer pretty much all of the exciting features from Kaby Lake through add-on cards and a dedicated GPU.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Outside of the better integrated graphics, for the 15" MBP at least, it will be possible for Apple to offer pretty much all of the exciting features from Kaby Lake through add-on cards and a dedicated GPU.
Add-on cards?

Also, we'll be lucky if they keep the dGPU in the high end 15" this year. It's a new design, so you just know they'll take the opportunity to simplify things and leave it out if they can.

It'd suck if they dropped it. Unless the iGPU in whatever processor they use is as good as the dGPU they use in at least my 2014 15" Pro, it'll suck. But I'll live.

Fuchsdh

Add-on cards?

Also, we'll be lucky if they keep the dGPU in the high end 15" this year. It's a new design, so you just know they'll take the opportunity to simplify things and leave it out if they can.

It'd suck if they dropped it. Unless the iGPU in whatever processor they use is as good as the dGPU they use in at least my 2014 15" Pro, it'll suck. But I'll live.

It'll probably be close, but yeah then it's still a lateral move at best at a time when GPUs are the only major area that's getting successively faster each gen like the good old days.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Hey, I'm sure it's been asked, but how do I go about knowing what kind of UPS to get for my iMac? My questions are regarding how to figure out how many VA or W I need to get.

I have a late 2013 27" iMac. But I dont know its voltage. And I need to power at least three USB hard drives of various sizes. I assume I can find the information about their requirements on the AC adapter for those. Does the iMac have this info somewhere?

How do I do the math and does anyone have a suggestion? APC I guess?

All my drives have those wide wall rat AC adapters that hang down vertically. So I fear I'd have to get some of those extenders to make some of them fit.

I'd need 7 ports. 1 for the iMac on battery, 3 for hard drives that need to be on battery, and 3 for hard drives that only need to be on surge.

I dont mind if I have to go over $100. But if I do I'd assume a display would be a plus. Also, does the USB connection for these work with a Mac?

To be safe you need at least as much VA as the maximum Wattage draw of your stuff; there is a lot of conflicting information on the internet about how much extra VA you need, from 1.1x to 1.6x.

Look for the AC input information on all your wall warts. Apple will publish this for the iMac if it isn't stuck on the bottom of the foot.

You can just plug a power bar into the UPS for your outlet needs.

USB works on the three I have owned since 2004; there will be a battery tab in the energy section of sys prefs that let you set the shutdown time based on capacity.

giga

The Kaby Lake dream is dead for this year. Only hope is that theyll include a decent GPU now in the new pro since it's still going to use skylake.

X-Frame

The Kaby Lake dream is dead for this year. Only hope is that theyll include a decent GPU now in the new pro since it's still going to use skylake.

Can some ELI5 what benefits Kaby Lake would offer over Skylake?

I'm not a professional user at all but still appreciate the power and utility of a Pro.

Deku Tree

Why is daring fireball blog ($8000 per week sponsor fee) so much bigger than theloop blog ($1250 per week)? I know the answer is "more clicks" but my question is why does gruber get so many more clicks?

For TB3 and USB? Yeah. The Mac Pro, for instance, has a USB3 controller because the Xeon they used didn't have native support.

So it's possible to get TB3 USB 3.1 with motherboard controllers. Obviously that's not ideal but it's possible, which mitigates the sting of not having Kaby Lake

Got an issue with my Macbook Air 13, wondering if anyone can help. I bought this about 2 weeks ago and right now it's charging but I've got a "full" green light on the charger but the Mac itself has stopped at 68% battery. Is there anything I can do?

EDIT: the percentage on the mac jumped up to 100% but it's saying I have 8.5 hours of battery life. I'm thinking something is messed here since it's meant to be ~12 for the 13.

Got an issue with my Macbook Air 13, wondering if anyone can help. I bought this about 2 weeks ago and right now it's charging but I've got a "full" green light on the charger but the Mac itself has stopped at 68% battery. Is there anything I can do?

EDIT: the percentage on the mac jumped up to 100% but it's saying I have 8.5 hours of battery life. I'm thinking something is messed here since it's meant to be ~12 for the 13.

You can try a System Management Controller (SMC) reset. Unplug and drain your battery for a bit, turn off the computer, hold down control-option-shift on the left side of the keyboard and power for 5 seconds then let go. The light on the MagSafe should turn green then back to amber. It'll reset how your system distributes power

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Doesn't hurt anything

Hey guys, I've got a question. I know new Macbook Pros are right around the corner but I'll be having a class for iOS/Android development and my 6 yo Toshiba doesn't run shit, VMs simply don't work (I can't even imagine using macOS with a VM in this).

I'm looking at the Macbook Pro 2015 13 inches for 1490€ (new of course). Would it be a good purchase if I'm looking for a laptop that would last me at least 5-6 years?

Top Bottom