• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

My classes begin September 12th. I don't know but I think iOS development will be the first one so... I don't know. New models wouldn't cost more or they'll just stay the same while older models get a price cut?

jts

...hate me...
Hey guys, I've got a question. I know new Macbook Pros are right around the corner but I'll be having a class for iOS/Android development and my 6 yo Toshiba doesn't run shit, VMs simply don't work (I can't even imagine using macOS with a VM in this).

I'm looking at the Macbook Pro 2015 13 inches for 1490€ (new of course). Would it be a good purchase if I'm looking for a laptop that would last me at least 5-6 years?
5-6 years are 60-72 months.

New MacBook Pro is potentially out in 1 or 2.

I understand the urgency, but I'd rather do some crazy thing like getting an old Mac and sell it again in a couple of months without losing much or any money.

Anyway, I think it could still be decent in that timeframe, but moreso if you max out the RAM. I mean my MBP 2010 lasted me 6 years and I didn't die... but just about nearly. I did benefit from upgrading it (RAM and SSD) halfway into its life.

But yeah... wait.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
My classes begin September 12th. I don't know but I think iOS development will be the first one so... I don't know. New models wouldn't cost more or they'll just stay the same while older models get a price cut?
The new ones will probably be the same price. (Though with the new tech we're supposedly getting... who knows.)

You could see if they have refurbished 2015 models. Or push it until the last minute just in case the class doesn't require it for a while.

I mean my 2013 15" is pretty damn good. So a 2015 model will be fine. The 2016 model will of course be better, in more ways than just the processor apparently. So it's your choice. Remember there is a 14 day return. So push it as long as you can and hope the new ones come out within 2 weeks.

Got my first ever Mac the other week, the 2016 Macbook. It is really nice, the portability was the key deciding factor over some possible PC alternatives. It is one usb-c port and better camera away from perfect. The camera is 720p I think, which seems inexcusable and I don't mind usb-c, I just would prefer two ports so I can use my ps4 controller and keep the laptop on power without using a dongle. Playing PS4 remote play in bed is great but I sometimes forget to charge it and need to have it on power. Now to upgrade my slow as balls iPhone 5C. Looking forward to tomorrow. I was never in the market for a MBP, but I hope some other line updates don't make me regret the Macbook 2016 purchase.

5-6 years are 60-72 months.

New MacBook Pro is potentially out in 1 or 2.

I understand the urgency, but I'd rather do some crazy thing like getting an old Mac and sell it again in a couple of months without losing much or any money.

Anyway, I think it could still be decent in that timeframe, but moreso if you max out the RAM. I mean my MBP 2010 lasted me 6 years and I didn't die... but just about nearly. I did benefit from upgrading it (RAM and SSD) halfway into its life.

But yeah... wait.
Not something I'm able to do. I tend to treat all my electronics with the uttermost care, so I can see any laptop lasting 5-6 years with me (my Toshiba looks like it has 3 years at most and runs a lot of things decently despite having a first gen i5 and 6 gb of RAM).

The new ones will probably be the same price. (Though with the new tech we're supposedly getting... who knows.)

You could see if they have refurbished 2015 models. Or push it until the last minute just in case the class doesn't require it for a while.

I mean my 2013 15" is pretty damn good. So a 2015 model will be fine. The 2016 model will of course be better, in more ways than just the processor apparently. So it's your choice. Remember there is a 14 day return. So push it as long as you can and hope the new ones come out within 2 weeks.
My friend has the 2013 13" and it's still going strong. iOS/Android development, GNS and all that "heavy" software runs great there. Another friend of mine has the 2015 13" version and it's amazing - light, fast and runs everything well.

I understand that the newer version will come with better hardware, as expected, but I don't know how much of a bump it will be. If the Oled strip and touch ID thingy is true then I can see them raising the prices.

Thank you both for your advices.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I understand that the newer version will come with better hardware, as expected, but I don't know how much of a bump it will be. If the Oled strip and touch ID thingy is true then I can see them raising the prices.
It remains to be seen whether the Touch Strip will be on all Pro models, or just top of the line or just 15" models. So if anything those would be more. Maybe. Hopefully only like $100. But it depends on how much of the line gets it. A dream would be that all Pro models get it and the price remains the same. But it'll probably be an extra tier on the Pro line and will trickle down into all Pro models in time and possibly the MacBook later on with the external keyboard being last when they can make sure battery life is good enough.

It remains to be seen. I just want to see this new tech already.

It remains to be seen whether the Touch Strip will be on all Pro models, or just top of the line or just 15" models. So if anything those would be more. Maybe. Hopefully only like $100. But it depends on how much of the line gets it. A dream would be that all Pro models get it and the price remains the same. But it'll probably be an extra tier on the Pro line and will trickle down into all Pro models in time and possibly the MacBook later on with the external keyboard being last when they can make sure battery life is good enough.

It remains to be seen. I just want to see this new tech already.
It would amazing if they showed something today but there's zero chance that will happen.

I can see the baseline Pro not having those features.

jts

...hate me...
I wouldn't say zero chance. It has been long enough to warrant maybe a teaser at least? I don't know, maybe this is just wishful thinking. Nevertheless, if they showed anything about it would be neat.

Dreading the UK price bump on the new MBPs. After seeing the price increase of the iPhone and Watch I'm expecting them being maybe £250-400 more.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Quick question. My friend is offering me the MacBook Air 11" 2014 i5 128GB for £400. Is it a ok deal?
On first glance it looks like a good deal. Just remember it's stuck at 128GB SSD. How much RAM? And it's only i5 and not i7, but for £400 it doesn't look too bad.

Dynasty

On first glance it looks like a good deal. Just remember it's stuck at 128GB SSD. How much RAM? And it's only i5 and not i7, but for £400 it doesn't look too bad.

I think 4GB of RAM and I'm probably going to go for it, my friend is a bit OCD so I know he has kept it in good condition.

Deku Tree

When did GAF start doing email notifications. I am getting emails today when people send me PM's. I don't think I got those in the past. Does GAF do other types of notifications now too (like when someone replies to your post)? EDIT: I think I figured out that the answer is no, you can only get email notifications when you get a PM.

I have a weird issue with my Force Trackpad. If I plug it into my iPhone charger then it doesn't show it as "charging" in the bluetooth menu from the top bar of my screen. But it does show as "charging" when I look in the "Set Up Bluetooth trackpad" button under the "trackpad" options in settings. And it does charge.

Alternatively if I plug the lightening cable directly into my mac then the trackpad shows as "charging" in the bluetooth menu from the top bar of my screen and everywhere else.

Customer brought in his original receipt from 1991, thought r was incredible

h0fC542.jpg

Fuchsdh

Ah, those expensive color-accurate CRTs. I think the IIci my parents got for their design studio along with the monitor, scanner and all the other computer components they needed cost them nearly $10K. Still have fond memories of that computer, I sort of wish we'd kept them.

GAF Mac experts, I need recommendations on a book or website. I just recently got my first Mac, a 2016 Macbook, and want to know if there was a good book or site to learn about all the inner workings of OSX. I am a life long PC user, build my own, work in IT, basically know every little nook and cranny of Windows. I don't intend to have to do a whole lot of troubleshooting in OSX, but I like to know everything about systems I use and I am just not that familiar with the structure of OSX. Any recommendations?

tl;dr is there a good book or website that goes in depth about OSX, its structure, systems etc, coming from the viewpoint of a former PC user?

Vashetti

Banned
GAF Mac experts, I need recommendations on a book or website. I just recently got my first Mac, a 2016 Macbook, and want to know if there was a good book or site to learn about all the inner workings of OSX. I am a life long PC user, build my own, work in IT, basically know every little nook and cranny of Windows. I don't intend to have to do a whole lot of troubleshooting in OSX, but I like to know everything about systems I use and I am just not that familiar with the structure of OSX. Any recommendations?

tl;dr is there a good book or website that goes in depth about OSX, its structure, systems etc, coming from the viewpoint of a former PC user?

it's macOS now ;)

Deku Tree

OSX or macOS is basically Linux with an really amazing made by Apple GUI. You'd never know it unless you opened up the terminal though. I personally find the best way to learn is just to use it. So I've never read a book on it. Most stuff is very intuitive so no book needed. Any book might be OK just research them a little online.

It is less about usability and more about curiosity. I learned everything about PCs from using them for almost three decades and always fixing things myself. My Macbook is primarily a work laptop. My leisure time is still on my desktop PC. I do not expect to use it enough or ever have to troubleshoot it to learn things to the depth I did on PC, that is why I was wondering if there was a good book or something. Laying out all the differences to a very technical level, with the comparisons to PC. I suppose I could just read course work for some macos certification, but certification material tends to be rather dry.

MBP from 2010. Very confortable with 10.9

Now, work kinda needs me to upgrade to at least 10.10... but appstore update goes directly to 10.11...

I heard tons of very negative feedback on 10.10 when it came out, that it killed performance on older machines like mine...

Questions : can I upgrade to 10.10 without going to 10.11 ? Appstore is downloading El Capitan...

How will be the performance drop ?

Fuchsdh

Now, work kinda needs me to upgrade to at least 10.10... but appstore update goes directly to 10.11...

I heard tons of very negative feedback on 10.10 when it came out, that it killed performance on older machines like mine...

Questions : can I upgrade to 10.10 without going to 10.11 ? Appstore is downloading El Capitan...

10.11 was speedier than 10.10. You can directly upgrade to any new version of OS X since 10.6 I believe; as long as you have the App Store and a compatible Mac that can run whatever is newer.

jts

...hate me...

Do you have an SSD? If not, get an SSD. Preferably let work pay for it. Difference in performance is big. Also, maxed out RAM doesn't hurt either.

I guess that if you can find a 10.10 installer it could work, but after that you can't really pinpoint what update do you want. But you know, sometimes latter updates/software versions do get optimized performance for older machines. I used to run El Capitan (properly updated) on my 2010 MBP (SSD + 8GB) and it ran fine tbh.

Just wondering if any of you guys can help me as it's kind of urgent,

my Macbook Pro (mid 2012) has been acting up for a while now but today it took a turn for the worse and now whenever I go to start it up I hear a clicking noise and it just resets and goes to start up again - causing an endless loop.

Ive googled a couple suggestions but nothings working, any ideas?

Originally it was doing this now and then when going to login but now I cant even get to that bit :/

Deku Tree

my Macbook Pro (mid 2012) has been acting up for a while now but today it took a turn for the worse and now whenever I go to start it up I hear a clicking noise and it just resets and goes to start up again - causing an endless loop.

Originally it was doing this now and then when going to login but now I cant even get to that bit :/

Does it have an HDD? I think some 2012 models didn't have SSDs yet... That clicking sounds like a broken HDD. It's the most common thing to fail. Also the constant restarting is what happens when the computer can't communicate with your HDD.

Vashetti

Banned

Sounds like one of the issues I had with that exact model, that's how I got my 13" 2015 rMBP free from Apple last year.

Sounds like one of the issues I had with that exact model, that's how I got my 13" 2015 rMBP free from Apple last year.

Does it have an HDD? I think some 2012 models didn't have SSDs yet... That clicking sounds like a broken HDD. It's the most common thing to fail. Also the constant restarting is what happens when the computer can't communicate with your HDD.

Oh jeez.. I was really hoping it would hold out to the next MBP..

I'm not sure about the HDD, is there a way to check that?

So is all my stuff screwed or is that recoverable? Important things are all backed up/in the cloud but still, there are bits and pieces that I'm uncertain on..

Deku Tree

Oh jeez.. I was really hoping it would hold out to the next MBP..

So is all my stuff screwed or is that recoverable? Important things are all backed up/in the cloud but still, there are bits and pieces that I'm uncertain on..

Non backed up data might be screwed. Data recovery is possible but it is obscenely expensive.

RE HDD: is it a retina? If so it has an SSD.

Deku Tree

No not retina, is that good news? As in with my data

If it's not a retina then it likely has an HDD and I would bet a lot of money that what you describe is a HDD failure. If you have an external boot drive or a external boot disk then I would try to see if you computer will load up with it. That would be able to confirm that it is the HDD that is failing. You can take it to Apple or an authorized repair shop and have the HDD swapped out. Your model may allow easy HDD replacement by yourself if it has a compartment on the bottom. I'm not sure. But your non backed up data might be toast. Sorry.

If it's not a retina then it likely has an HDD and I would bet a lot of money that what you describe is a HDD failure. If you have an external boot drive or a external boot disk then I would try to see if you computer will load up with it. That would be able to confirm that it is the HDD that is failing. You can take it to Apple or an authorized repair shop and have the HDD swapped out. Your model may allow easy HDD replacement by yourself if it has a compartment on the bottom. I'm not sure. But your non backed up data might be toast. Sorry.

Hmm ok, well I'll have a look and see what I can do.

Will definitely be taking it to Apple and do what I can to get things sorted, I hate not being able to not review what's on there to see if it's worth backing up :/

Thanks for your help though, will post back on here if any progress is made haha

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca

I'm running 10.11.6 on a Mid-2009 15'' MBP with a SSD and 8GB. It runs mighty fine.

So guys, is 128GB SSD on a MBP enough for iOS/Android programming and a 4 gb Virtual Machine? I plan on storing all my music and photos on a external drive (and probably no gaming).

The 256 SSD model is way too expensive.

Deku Tree

So guys, is 128GB SSD on a MBP enough for iOS/Android programming and a 4 gb Virtual Machine? I plan on storing all my music and photos on a external drive (and probably no gaming).

It might be tight but you can make it work. Will be hard to Store art assets on the 128GB SSD.

jts

...hate me...
Likely the new MacBook Pro will start at 256GB storage.

Still, external storage solutions are aplenty and the I/O is fast. And it is possible to upgrade the internal drive at some point if you get ahold of a compatible SSD.

kennah

https://www.sandisk.com/home/usb-flash/ultra-fit-usb

I have a 128 gig one of those that I just leave in. Benches faster than a rotational hard drive. I keep my virtual machines on it and they work fine.

question to those guys who fixed a shattered LCD screen on a iphone 6.

I have had this big issue with the screen since I first busted it. The screen does sometimes just freeze up and wont trace my touch on the display. if i put it to sleep then start the phone again the touch works for a while, sometimes 1 hour sometimes it only works for 5 minutes then it stars acting up again and I have to put it in sleep again to get the screen to register my touch.

anyone know why this is happening?
is there a fix ?

Fuchsdh

question to those guys who fixed a shattered LCD screen on a iphone 6.

I have had this big issue with the screen since I first busted it. The screen does sometimes just freeze up and wont trace my touch on the display. if i put it to sleep then start the phone again the touch works for a while, sometimes 1 hour sometimes it only works for 5 minutes then it stars acting up again and I have to put it in sleep again to get the screen to register my touch.

anyone know why this is happening?
is there a fix ?

Chances are it might be this: http://appleinsider.com/articles/16...ccounting-for-about-11-of-apple-store-repairs

Ambitious

Eh.. what the hell?

In Photos.app, I'm using a smart folder to display all pictures which are not in any album. Once in a while, I go through them and move them to the appropriate albums.

Last time I checked (about a week ago), there were about 20 pictures. I just opened the app again, and.. well, the pictures are still there, but there's an additional one in the smart folder. A picture I took in 2013.

What?

A few weeks ago, the picture was back. Just like that. I opened the app, and suddenly that ancient picture was back in the smart folder. So I moved it to the correct album yet another time.

Guess what? It's back again. What a shitshow.

Oh, and there's ten pictures which I tagged with a face. That face is excluded by the rules of the smart folder, so they should not show up in it. And yet they do. The folder is set up correctly, and they're not duplicates. It just doesn't work.

Speaking of faces: The dropdown for typing in face names has autocompletion for existing faces. Now, some time ago I had to create a few temporary faces in order to work around some faces-related bugs. I've deleted those faces a long time ago, but they still show up in that dropdown. No, I did not miss any pictures tagged with those faces. None exist. And apparently, the only way to get rid of old face data is to create a new library and move the pictures. Amazing.

SeanR1221

I asked at r/Apple but I'll ask here too...

My wife recently got a rose gold MacBook for grad school, and was complaining that she's already getting messages about lack of storage. I took a look, and about 300GB is being used by "other." So looking into it, other can be a lot of things, and Apple doesn't really specify. I started clicking around, and she has about 120GB in iPhoto and around the same in Photos.

Under the about this mac area, it only shows photos taking up 14GB.
So a few questions...

Can the photos in iPhoto be deleted? Many are old photos that aren't even in the photos app anymore

Why are these two apps HUGE but not showing up as photos under about this mac? Could they be the other culprits?

Deku Tree

I asked at r/Apple but I'll ask here too...

My wife recently got a rose gold MacBook for grad school, and was complaining that she's already getting messages about lack of storage. I took a look, and about 300GB is being used by "other." So looking into it, other can be a lot of things, and Apple doesn't really specify. I started clicking around, and she has about 120GB in iPhoto and around the same in Photos.

Under the about this mac area, it only shows photos taking up 14GB.
So a few questions...

Can the photos in iPhoto be deleted? Many are old photos that aren't even in the photos app anymore

Why are these two apps HUGE but not showing up as photos under about this mac? Could they be the other culprits?

You don't need to keep iPhoto once you have photos. It can be deleted as long as you moved all the he photos into photos.

I'm moved my photos library onto an external disk.

Also Did you try using "grand perspective"? It is a fee app that shows a map of every file on the HDD and how much space it's taking up. The iPod photo cashe used to take up a lot of space inside iPhoto and it can be deleted. Also if you have iOS backups on the Mac then those can take up tons of space.

SeanR1221

You don't need to keep iPhoto once you have photos. It can be deleted as long as you moved all the he photos into photos.

I'm moved my photos library onto an external disk.

Also Did you try using "grand perspective"? It is a fee app that shows a map of every file on the HDD and how much space it's taking up. The iPod photo cashe used to take up a lot of space inside iPhoto and it can be deleted. Also if you have iOS backups on the Mac then those can take up tons of space.

Thanks man. I saw some articles from years ago saying keep both Photos and iPhoto, but I guess thats outdated?

Couple of things:
Go into Finder, put it in list view and hit cmd-j (View > Show View Options) and hit "calculate all sizes" and then "use as defaults". Sort by the size column.

You can now drill down and see what's using disk space. ~/Downloads, ~/Pictures, ~/Library/Application Support are likely culprits for having a bunch of shit in them (iOS firmware images?). Stay away from /Library and /System.

The iPhoto library and Photos library are probably hard links to the same data, and if so deleting iPhoto one probably won't save any space.

Top Bottom