• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

How do I make the Universal Clipboard work? I have a Late 2013 MPB, iPhone 6 w/ iOS 10, both devices have bluetooth, wifi, and handoff turned on.

But I can't copy from my phone and have it on my computer.

Am I missing something?

Fuchsdh

So the key between the U and O keys randomly stopped workng for me on my Apple Wrless Bluetooth keyboard. Yes, the [Eye] key. Was workng yesterday. Was workng 4 hours ago. Now... t's just not workng anymore.

So werd.

'm sorry for the typos.

Thnkng of gettng a mechancal keyboard, and notced that Das Keyboard has one n a Mac edton, wth Apple functon and cmd keys. Would you recommend ths?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZG9T62/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I've had a Das since... 2013, I think? and I really enjoy it. Just note that you can't get the softer keyswitches in the Mac layout, and the Model S has a glossy finish so you're gonna' have to clean it fairly frequently. The Pro version is $40 more and has USB3, media keys, and a nicer anodized finish, it's up to you whether that's worth the extra price.

Servbot24

Banned
At work right now but I'm looking forward to seeing how Siri works on macOS. I figure I'll set up dictation so that I can start songs while I'm away from the computer.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
My 2015 13"Macbook Pro just arrived. This is amazing wow
Awesome. Enjoy it. The Retina MBPs are really nice. I have a 15" but when my sister was here with her 13" I was kind of jealous of the smaller form. I made my decision in 2013 based on processor and GPU, but dang, if they offered a beefed up 13", even if only at the high end, I'd love it. (Though I'd initially miss the ability to do 1200p x 2 since the 13" only goes up to 1050p x 2.)

Awesome. Enjoy it. The Retina MBPs are really nice. I have a 15" but when my sister was here with her 13" I was kind of jealous of the smaller form. I made my decision in 2013 based on processor and GPU, but dang, if they offered a beefed up 13", even if only at the high end, I'd love it. (Though I'd initially miss the ability to do 1200p x 2 since the 13" only goes up to 1050p x 2.)
This screen is amazing, the quality is really something. This is my first Macbook and so far i'm loving it. The force touch trackpad is also amazing.

The 13" model is the perfect size for me.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
This screen is amazing, the quality is really something. This is my first Macbook and so far i'm loving it. The force touch trackpad is also amazing.

The 13" model is the perfect size for me.
I love having this nice roomy screen, but I really do kind of long for my 13" days. If only Apple would stop putting the good stuff only in the large model. They should have each size have a low end and high end version. Instead they make the smaller version be low end and bigger one be high end.

I want to be able to get a 13" with the i7 and the dGPU. I would have if it were an option back then. The whole reason I still have my 15" 2013 model now is because I went high end.

Ugh. Need 2016 MacBook Pros to be announced. I'm in just for the WCG display.

I hope they go 10-bit as well, since there would arguably be more reason to do so on a MacBook Pro.
I really needed a new laptop as I got this one from a friend for less than 1000€ so it was a good deal (only 3 months of use).

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm going to have to take a trip to an Apple store this week to solidify my 15" -> 13" plans. I really like the current rMBP design so if the redesign shits the bed I have no problems moving to the 2015 model.
Yeah. I look forward to when I actually decide to upgrade so I can do my research. I just want a 13" that isn't gimped though. Give me that higher end processor at least. And dGPU option if it still even exists.

Also what would constitute the redesign "shitting the bed"? Removed ports? Gimped specs?

Yeah. I look forward to when I actually decide to upgrade so I can do my research. I just want a 13" that isn't gimped though. Give me that higher end processor at least. And dGPU option if it still even exists.

Also what would constitute the redesign "shitting the bed"? Removed ports? Gimped specs?

Increased base price (especially considering how garbage the Canadian dollar is) and the number of adapters and dongles I'd need to buy, mainly. If it's all USB type-C like that leak in April and nothing's included in the box, that's at least three I'd need. I basically want to sell my 15", move to whatever the 13" equivalent is, and come out of it with some extra cash.

The 13" would need a resolution bump for me to consider staying with it.

The likely drop in weight will make the 15" pretty tempting.

I'm surprised we haven't gotten a rumored announcement date yet. Probably will hear something in the next two weeks.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Increased base price (especially considering how garbage the Canadian dollar is) and the number of adapters and dongles I'd need to buy, mainly. If it's all USB type-C like that leak in April and nothing's included in the box, that's at least three I'd need. I basically want to sell my 15", move to whatever the 13" equivalent is, and come out of it with some extra cash.
Yeah, let's hope the price doesn't increase. At least not by much if at all. Dongles would also be a bit annoying, but to be honest I wouldn't be that affected by them. As long as I can charge my computer and also have my iPhone plugged in at the same time. (I'd just keep the USB3 to USB-C dongle on the iPhone cable at all times, or wait for a cheap third party USB-C/Lightning cable that will inevitably come alone at some point. I mean if Apple is really pushing to kill off the old USB connector, eventually iPhones will start coming with one.)

Really, the only time I need ports is once in a while and usually when I'm tethered to my desk anyway. I'd just keep all the dongles, or better yet, a hub with a bunch of "legacy" ports and slots, on my desk. I can't even remember the last time I needed my SD slot. Rarely do I need my HDMI port. Even less so for the Thunderbolt ports. All I have is my iPhone and an external HDD with normal USB connectors. A single dongle would be enough for me. Just hope they include one in the box. (They didn't with the MacBook. Did they? They should.)

TL;DR, I won't mind dongles much at all. Just make sure the AC adapter comes with a power cable long as long as the MagSafe version is.

The 13" would need a resolution bump for me to consider staying with it.

The likely drop in weight will make the 15" pretty tempting.

I'm surprised we haven't gotten a rumored announcement date yet. Probably will hear something in the next two weeks.
Yeah. It'd be a tough decision to leave the 1920x1200 HiDPI setting behind. I'd definitely miss it. The 13" models only go up to 1680x1050 HiDPI as the highest Retina option available.

kennah

Has anyone's Force Touch trackpad starting behaving funny since Sierra? Often mine will stop 'clicking' and will every once in a while stop responding at all.

Ambitious

BqOuI.png

This shit is so incredibly annoying. The keyboard backlight refuses to turn on. Apparently, according to some Google results, it's because of the light sensor - if it's too bright in the room, they won't turn on.

Well, first off, the lights are off. I'm sitting in the dark. I can barely see the keys. Second, if I press the button to turn the backlight on, I fucking expect it to turn on. The light sensor is supposed to turn it on when it gets dark, and that's cool. But why the hell does it prevent me from turning it on manually? What's the reasoning behind that?

kennah

Trackpad and Keyboard not working at all now :( Not even detected in System Report. Next available appointment at the Apple Store - Thursday. Sigh.

Charcoal

So I'm really hoping for good things this month, most notably the rumored macbook pros. Does anyone know how much the price jumps for new hardware?

I priced a current, full-spec pro at $2200. Presumably is that what the new units will cost as well?

Fuchsdh

So I'm really hoping for good things this month, most notably the rumored macbook pros. Does anyone know how much the price jumps for new hardware?

I priced a current, full-spec pro at $2200. Presumably is that what the new units will cost as well?

Costs rarely jump. I'd be confident you'll get an equivalent or better config for the same money.

Fuchsdh

Wow, what bullshit. I've been using Screenflow for years to do screencaptures since I've found it's the best option on Mac, but recently I noticed that it wasn't capturing computer audio and the "install audio driver" option wasn't doing anything. No big deal, I assume it's a bug, and I'll upgrade.

But instead of allowing me to upgrade from 4.0.5 to whatever the latest 4.x version is, the "check for updates" dialog demands that you upgrade your functional piece of software to a demo version of version 6, which is a paid upgrade.

I sent an email request to Telestream asking for the latest 4.x download, and they replied that I'm out of luck, buy a new copy of our software. Needless to say I'm done with them. Not paying them another hundred bucks so they can fuck me over in the future again.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Wow, what bullshit. I've been using Screenflow for years to do screencaptures since I've found it's the best option on Mac, but recently I noticed that it wasn't capturing computer audio and the "install audio driver" option wasn't doing anything. No big deal, I assume it's a bug, and I'll upgrade.

But instead of allowing me to upgrade from 4.0.5 to whatever the latest 4.x version is, the "check for updates" dialog demands that you upgrade your functional piece of software to a demo version of version 6, which is a paid upgrade.

I sent an email request to Telestream asking for the latest 4.x download, and they replied that I'm out of luck, buy a new copy of our software. Needless to say I'm done with them. Not paying them another hundred bucks so they can fuck me over in the future again.
Are you on Sierra? Because 4 and 5 won't work anyway.

And yes, it's a stupid practice. But at least it didn't auto-update to the paid release like MacDVDRipperPro did for me a long time ago. I couldn't update to the newest point release for the previous version either and had to reinstall the last DMG version I had and turn off updates.

Application devs can be boneheaded sometimes.

That said, ScreenFlow is still the best I've seen for recording. I'd update.

Fuchsdh

Are you on Sierra? Because 4 and 5 won't work anyway.

And yes, it's a stupid practice. But at least it didn't auto-update to the paid release like MacDVDRipperPro did for me a long time ago. I couldn't update to the newest point release for the previous version either and had to reinstall the last DMG version I had and turn off updates.

Application devs can be boneheaded sometimes.

That said, ScreenFlow is still the best I've seen for recording. I'd update.

Nah, Yosemite. I don't upgrade until I get the .1 release (got a new more spacious SSD all ready for it though.)

Snapz Pro has a new release, I might try that. It's certainly cheaper, and I'm not irked by Ambrosia (they end-of-life software with plenty of notice and still have provided compatibility updates after they started selling the new version of Audio Hijack, so they're in my good graces.)

Megabat

So, OWC has new (sealed, old) 2015 MacBooks for $900 (without tax in my state). I'm thinking about picking one up for light Illustrator/Photoshop/InDesign stuff (first-year graphic design student). I have a Windows desktop to fall back on if the MacBook isn't up to a task.

I've googled high and low, and can't find a clear answer: can the MacBook run at the native display resolution with no scaling?

corn_fest

I've googled high and low, and can't find a clear answer: can the MacBook run at the native display resolution with no scaling?

There are third-party tools that will let you use the screen at native res instead of HiDPI scaling, yes.
FWIW, I believe Photoshop at least, and possibly other Adobe applications, disable scaling within the artboard area, so it is true 1:1 anyway.

Fuchsdh

There are third-party tools that will let you use the screen at native res instead of HiDPI scaling, yes.
FWIW, I believe Photoshop at least, and possibly other Adobe applications, disable scaling within the artboard area, so it is true 1:1 anyway.

Yep. Any design application worth its salt will let you work at 1:1.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Snapz Pro has a new release, I might try that. It's certainly cheaper, and I'm not irked by Ambrosia (they end-of-life software with plenty of notice and still have provided compatibility updates after they started selling the new version of Audio Hijack, so they're in my good graces.)
What does Snapz Pro do that might make it better than Screenflow? Out of curiosity.

QuickRes can do this and offer a lot more options as well. Remember, native will make things way to small to use the computer comfortably though. Unless you have amazing Superman vision. At that resolution, 1:1 won't be of much use if you can't see it. lol

Fuchsdh

What does Snapz Pro do that might make it better than Screenflow? Out of curiosity.

Not a whole lot. It was originally designed for screenshots, so that's where a lot more of its built-in flexibility comes in. For videos it's pretty much straightforward, I believe it has less options for editing footage after the fact but I never add any of that stuff anyhow.

Nah, Yosemite. I don't upgrade until I get the .1 release (got a new more spacious SSD all ready for it though.)

Quicktime Player does screen capture now. Use it at home and still have Snapz Pro at work, which I've had for many years to make tutorial videos for my web applications.

Quicktime also lets you do screen recordings of connected iOS devices.

jts

...hate me...
So are we still on track for an October event? I've been without a computer since August and it's hurting bad.

chidrock

So are we still on track for an October event? I've been without a computer since August and it's hurting bad.

Me too...I've been eyeing this one and have been tempted to pull the trigger. (I probably won't but the temptation is still there)

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/F...-25ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display

Considering that I'll probably be relying on portable drives for my pictures and home movies, I'm guessing having the faster speeds of USB-C might be as good a reason as any to wait. I'm also curious how the OLED strip will work.

My main uses for the machine will be for editing pictures and my home videos. (Nothing professional, but it would be nice to have a system that could handle it without taking too much time)

Ninja Dom

I've just managed to get hold of a PowerMac G5 with Apple 20" Cinema Display.

I know that this machine goes up to Leopard. Is there a way to reformat, start from complete fresh without the original Leopard disc?

Fuchsdh

I've just managed to get hold of a PowerMac G5 with Apple 20" Cinema Display.

I know that this machine goes up to Leopard. Is there a way to reformat, start from complete fresh without the original Leopard disc?

Nah, there wasn't internet recovery at that point, and system restore discs were pretty hardware-specific. They originally shipped with 10.4 so any 10.5 disc will do. Looks like you can find the discs for $20 or so on eBay but it might be worth seeing if there's some corner of the internet you can burn a bootable DVD from given that that's $20 of obsolete software :p

Ambitious

A Declining Trajectory by Matt Gemmell
Apparently, he deleted the post, so this links to the Google cache.

I can't agree more with this post. Nowadays, I'm not even puzzled by bugs and glitches and other issues anymore - I expect them. I expect each new piece of Apple software to be an untested, buggy mess with shitty UX.

Developers: Stop with the Stupid, Pretentious, Self-Absorbed Release Notes
Seriously. Is it that hard to provide a brief, concise, but comprehensible list of changes? Is it that fucking hard? On the one hand, there's fellas like Agilebits who feel like they have to write half a book and keep stressing how much they love their users over and over again, on the other hand there's stuff like Facebook or YouTube who use the same shitty copy-pasted "We are always working hard on our app!" shit in every single update, and then there's jokesters like Cesium. I'm not gonna read this shit.

Deku Tree

I can't agree more with this post. Nowadays, I'm not even puzzled by bugs and glitches and other issues anymore - I expect them. I expect each new piece of Apple software to be an untested, buggy mess with shitty UX.

Seriously. Is it that hard to provide a brief, concise, but comprehensible list of changes? Is it that fucking hard? On the one hand, there's fellas like Agilebits who feel like they have to write half a book and keep stressing how much they love their users over and over again, on the other hand there's stuff like Facebook or YouTube who use the same shitty copy-pasted "We are always working hard on our app!" shit in every single update, and then there's jokesters like Cesium. I'm not gonna read this shit.

My iPhone 7 Plus and my wifes iPhone 7 have horrible battery drain. I would return it if I had a better option at this point. I'm sad that I already gave my iPhone 6 Plus to the AT&T program otherwise I would definitely downgrade. I've read about Battery Drain in previous iPhones but I've never experienced it. This time it's happening to me and I hate it. I get no where near the 12-16 hours that Apple puts on their web page, more like I get 5 hours. My wifes iPhone 7 needs to be plugged in by 3pm after being charged overnight and lightly used during the day. Her two year old iPhone 6 had better battery all day life just before she upgraded. The worst part is that I don't see any articles complaining about it online so I don't even know if Apple will address it.

But otherwise a lot of what he says are things that I haven't experienced. Every single one of my Macs still boots up and runs. I dropped my 11'' MBA six feet onto a tile floor and it got a dent but it still runs the same as it ever did. The IT person at my job said "that's an Apple. If you had bought a Lenovo then you'd be buying a new one right now".

Fuchsdh

I can only assume that the power of positive intention is actually real, because somehow I never run into the same number of bugs and issues that Mac pundits do. Also, I'd say the definition of insanity should be amended to "bitterly complaining about spending thousands of pounds on new technology and yet continuing to buy that new technology."

Futureman

I think we usually get rumors of invites being sent out 3 weeks before events and they are sent around 2 weeks before an event.

Nothing so far is making me suspicious...

Costs rarely jump. I'd be confident you'll get an equivalent or better config for the same money.

Costs usually do jump on "redesigns" which the MBPs are rumored to have. My guess is this first gen with the touch strip is going to be $200 more than previous models.

I was hoping someone would be able to give me a bit of guidance on something.

I have been connecting my MacBook Pro to this Dell U2414H monitor with a Thunderbolt to Display Port cable (which came with the monitor). The cable needs replacing, and it got me wondering whether a like for like cable is the best option. The monitor seems to support Mini Display port and HDMI as well, so I am wondering which will get the best performance and picture out of my monitor.

I was hoping someone would be able to give me a bit of guidance on something.

I have been connecting my MacBook Pro to this Dell U2414H monitor with a Thunderbolt to Display Port cable (which came with the monitor). The cable needs replacing, and it got me wondering whether a like for like cable is the best option. The monitor seems to support Mini Display port and HDMI as well, so I am wondering which will get the best performance and picture out of my monitor.

The output from the Thunderbolt jack is just mini display port. A regular mini display port cable would work.

hirokazu

I don't agree with this. It did get progressively bad, with iOS 8 probably being the buggiest mess I've ever used from Apple.

But I think they've taken the feedback about it pretty seriously since, with much more regular betas for both developers and public beta testers from iOS 9 and El Capitan onwards. iOS 10 and Sierra are pretty darn solid releases.

Still mad that Apple Watch Activity Sharing isn't working for me though and there's hardly any reports on the internet of other people having the same problem.

I can't agree more with this though. But out of the two I hate, I'm gonna go with the "We are constantly improving our app on a regular basis" release notes. Those aren't release notes. I'm not gonna update your app as regularly when I can't see what's changed.

At least when Agilebits releases an essay, I can still skip to the change log and get a general idea of what's going down.

Ninja Dom

Nah, there wasn't internet recovery at that point, and system restore discs were pretty hardware-specific. They originally shipped with 10.4 so any 10.5 disc will do. Looks like you can find the discs for $20 or so on eBay but it might be worth seeing if there's some corner of the internet you can burn a bootable DVD from given that that's $20 of obsolete software :p

Interesting. Thanks.

can someone explain how to get rid of sierra beta and go to general release?

i've already removed myself from the beta program but how do i actually jump from beta to the general release?

Top Bottom