• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

rc213

Hoping to get some feedback, Looking to buy maybe a Macbook Air for a niece just for basic school stuff.

What's a good model I could get cheap?

I've seen 13" i5 1.7Ghz 4gb ram 128gb ssd for $500-600

Fuchsdh

Pretty lame we didn't get even a "oh yeah and these got updated" spec bumps for the rest of the Mac line there. Poor Mac mini looks like it's hurtling to a three-year update cycle.

Also really weird the retina Macbook didn't drop in price. I guess they figure the old Macbook Airs will sell well enough until they do, but it's odd to be pushing Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C and not have it in your sub-$1000 notebooks.

giga

They lost the damn plot with the prices. The fact that they still sell the 2015 models for the same price confirms this. I'm going refurb until they come back to earth.

So I'm probably going refurb with a 2015 model. Never bought a Mac before.

Between upgrading to 16 GB of RAM or going with a faster processor, what would you guys recommend? Or both? Ideally, I'd like the computer to last 4-5 years. Not looking to game necessarily or use it for professional purposes but really just more of a multi-tasking thing, using it for school and things like that.

Also, would you recommend getting AppleCare? I know Macbooks are generally pretty reliable but I'm not typically one to buy a refurbished model but the prices and my want to future proof as much as possible is pushing me this way

Between upgrading to 16 GB of RAM or going with a faster processor, what would you guys recommend? Or both? Ideally, I'd like the computer to last 4-5 years.

Also, would you recommend getting AppleCare? I know Macbooks are generally pretty reliable but I'm not typically one to buy a refurbished model but the prices and my want to future proof as much as possible is pushing me this way

16GB of memory is a must, imho.

16GB of memory is a must, imho.

OK, and would you say upgrading to the 3.1 GHZ, i7 processor is worth it? Or stick with the i5, 2.7 GHZ.

It's about a $250 difference, not a huge amount over the long run but at the same time, I wasn't planning on spending much more than $1500 until Apple decided to go all out with their pricing.

Fuchsdh

The boost in prices is pretty indefensible, especially with the low-end 13.

On the plus side, at least, BTO prices for flash have dropped a bit. More than $1000 for the 2TB option is ridiculous, even for that speed, but then again getting that much external storage is a bit ridiculous too.

Seems like the best buying option is "wait until the next model and the prices come down to earth."

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My MacBook Air stopped detecting and switching to an external display. I use a mini DP-DP at work which works, but a HDMI adapter for use in the meeting rooms stopped working this afternoon. I tried two different dongles and two different screens.

Is there any way to give it a kick? I don't want to restart the computer as I have all my documents that I need just right (or is there a way to restart and bring everything back just how it was?)

BondFancy

Picked up the base 15" in Space Gray, way more than I wanted to spend, however it should last me for many years to come, if I get 5 good years out of it I will be content.

Out of all the things today, this is still the most shocking. I don't know how with a straight face they can sell this as a pro machine when there's no RAM upgrade above 16GB. I mean macOS really needs 8-10 these days just to run decently, let alone running pro apps on top of that. I use many apps per day and macOS's memory management isn't really tailored for that. So I need lots of RAM to avoid going heavily into swap.

chadskin

What I'd really want is a 15" MacBook -- less powerful than a Pro but with current technology, a Retina screen and a long battery life for €1,499.

Between upgrading to 16 GB of RAM or going with a faster processor, what would you guys recommend? Or both? Ideally, I'd like the computer to last 4-5 years. Not looking to game necessarily or use it for professional purposes but really just more of a multi-tasking thing, using it for school and things like that.

RAM. Also yes get applecare. It is worth it imo.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
What I'd really want is a 15" MacBook -- less powerful than a Pro but with current technology, a Retina screen and a long battery life for €1,499.
I'd expect if they put out a bigger MacBook it'd be a 14" just to keep it logical. 12 and 14 for consumer, 13 and 15 for Pro.

Then again I think they have way too many choices right now. They have the MacBook which is like a not quite MacBook Air replacement that's overpriced. They have a low end MacBook Pro which they're trying to pass off as the Air replacement, but again it's much more expensive. They still have the 13" Air that is obviously only being kept around because its two replacements are currently completely overpriced. And they have the two new Pro models. They really need to simplify. But they can't until the prices on their two lowest end Retina MacBooks come down significantly enough to justify dumping the Air once and for all.

I was thinking about it today, and beyond the normal Apple price premium, there really are a few things that contribute to the high price.

• One, the P3 display. P3 displays are not cheap. There's a reason why we're not seeing them in mainstream, or even a lot of ~$500 monitors at this point (without compromises).
  • Two, add on top of that the OLED Touch bar. That's another screen, OLED, on the device.
  • Three, the T1 chip. Even if iterative off another Apple chip, this is a custom Apple chip that they had to research, design, and fabricate for the new MacBook Pros.
  • Then finally, all the other R&D work that went into the new form factors for the MacBook Pros.
The problem is, while Apple's engineering is as impressive as ever, the actual impact the engineering has had on all their devices has seemed to reach a point of diminishing returns.

A great example of this can be seen in the rumored screen of the iPhone 8. An edge-to-edge OLED screen. At high PPI. With Wide Color Gamut. With 3D Touch. With haptic feedback. And a fingerprint reader built in.

...That's actually an incredible feat of engineering. But the actual impact to end users is going to be seen as "LOL Apple finally has an OLED screen" and "What, the new feature is you can unlock your phone using your finger on the screen? That's it?"

MrMephistoX

Does Apple typically do discounting in store for MacBook Pros when a new model releases?

Half considering going with a top of the line current gen 15 inch with the dedicated AMD graphics card instead of the new hotness if it's going on clearance soon.

Otherwise the wife works for Apple so assuming I get at least $800 for my late 2012 MBP with AMD it wouldn't be too bad just to get the new hotness with her discount.

IqaE5qz.jpg

crispyben

GAF, I need your help/magic. I tried to a clean Yosemite install on my late 2009 iMac because it felt really sluggish. I did a Time Machine backup and a separate data backup. I created a bootable USB key (through Terminal) from my old Yosemite installer download in the Applications folder. I rebooted the iMac and pressed Alt/Options. I selected the bootable key over my main HAD and a recovery thing, got to the OS X utilities screen, picked Dusk Utility and erased Macintosh HD (the partition of the HD itself, kept the same name, used journaled or whatever). That worked well. I then tried to install Yosemite again, and I got the dreaded error message that it was impossible to check the copy, it must have been damaged or altered blah blah...

Now, I can't do anything else. If I boot with the key using alt, I get the same options that do nothing. If I boot without the key, using cmd+R for instance, I can't cget to the Recovery HD menu/partition, I just get the flashing question mark. Any suggestions?

I am redownloading the Yosemite installer on another Mac in the house and will try recreating a new bootkey. If that doesn't work, I could always try to restore from the Time Machine backup. Should I then upgrade to Sierra, then do a Sierra clean install?

M_to_P

After yesterday, i'm thinking about getting a i7 Air. New macbooks are way to expensive and the i7 Air is still cheaper than the 12" macbook.

Only 8gb of ram though, is it worth it? My mini has 4gb and i sometimes experience some stutter...

giga

After yesterday, i'm thinking about getting a i7 Air. New macbooks are way to expensive and the i7 Air is still cheaper than the 12" macbook.

Only 8gb of ram though, is it worth it? My mini has 4gb and i sometimes experience some stutter...
Don't do it. It's a third world screen. Get a refurb pro.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I can't even imagine having 32GB. I have 16GB in my 2013 rMBP and it never gives me problems even at its worst. But I dont do anything really professional so I can see why some people would want it so bad. Is DDR4's performance on battery really that bad that Apple wouldn't want to use it?

I do want to get 32GB for my iMac though. And an SSD. Eventually. Especially if I keep it for a while.

x-post from the Mac event thread...

Apple has confirmed to Nilay Patel (The Verge) that it will no longer make displays.
https://twitter.com/reckless/status/792069952916197376

I feel really sad about this, and don't understand how with all of Apple's money, they couldn't just continue slapping LG displays in a nice aluminum case. But then I don't understand a lot of Apple's decisions regarding the Mac line in the past three years.

Deku Tree

No Power Extension Cable: In line with the 12-inch MacBook, new MacBook Pro models do not come with Apple's Power Adapter Extension Cable in the box. Previous MacBook Pro models included the extension cable in the box for several years. The extension cable, which provides extra length between the power brick and wall outlet, can be purchased as a standalone product for $19.

I mean I personally have more of these power extension cables that I know what to do with, and I used them on all of my power bricks. But why raise the price so much and also remove this essential cable?

On the other hand, with USB-C charging without magsafe then they don't seem to want you to use the MacBook Pro while charging it anymore so that reduces the need for an extension cable.

Fuchsdh

I can't even imagine having 32GB. I have 16GB in my 2013 rMBP and it never gives me problems even at its worst. But I dont do anything really professional so I can see why some people would want it so bad. Is DDR4's performance on battery really that bad that Apple wouldn't want to use it?

I do want to get 32GB for my iMac though. And an SSD. Eventually. Especially if I keep it for a while.

Seems like an unnecessary compromise. They've got the rMB... thinning it so that you're destroying the ability to max out your computer is dumb.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

I could use 32GB. Our software integration test environment already uses 12GB after start, and that only leaves 4GB for all my other tools.

I have no need for 32GB of RAM, and I like to tell myself that with 4GB of vRAM, it's practically going to be like 20GB of RAM. :)

The only thing that's slightly disappointing for the 15" is that Skylake's architecture seems to especially benefit from the L4 cache and higher RAM clock speeds, where as it really wasn't as big of a deal in the past. While the "slower" memory in the 13" is probably offset by the 64MB L4 cache, the 15" might not have that luxury.

Do we have any specifics as to what CPUs are actually included in the new MBPs yet? I'd be curious if they have an L4 cache as well.

There are some professional cases where 32 would really help out vs 16. I've sometimes run into that with the 24GB i have in my iMac, but its usually only when working with very large 16-bit color images

I cancelled my 2016 order and went with a mid-2015 instead. I did the math, and for my line of work, would need 5 adapters for this to work with all my mediums.

The 2015 refurb will only net me a thunderbolt-to-ethernet adapter.

I only needed an upgrade from my 2010 17" and just waited to see what Apple had for 2016. I don't have what they did, but the prices is not for me since I'm not a Touch kind of guy. I like shortcuts and external mouses. I only cared what was on the inside.

Here's my upgrade path I think it's been a wild ride from where I started to where I'm gonna be on the 1st of Nov.

Fuchsdh

I cancelled my 2016 order and went with a mid-2015 instead. I did the math, and for my line of work, would need 5 adapters for this to work with all my mediums.

The 2015 refurb will only net me a thunderbolt-to-ethernet adapter.

I only needed an upgrade from my 2010 17" and just waited to see what Apple had for 2016. I don't have what they did, but the prices is not for me since I'm not a Touch kind of guy. I like shortcuts and external mouses. I only cared what was on the inside.

Here's my upgrade path I think it's been a wild ride from where I started to where I'm gonna be on the 1st of Nov.
Eh, seems reasonable. The new MBP are really appealing to me, but not at that price. In a year or two the prices will come down to something reasonable, the TB3 market will have matured more, and they won't have as many dumb compromises like no DDr4 RAM. It's just weird that they've decided to not even bother simplifying their line. Only good news is they finally killed the 2012 model.

Eh, seems reasonable. The new MBP are really appealing to me, but not at that price. In a year or two the prices will come down to something reasonable, the TB3 market will have matured more, and they won't have as many dumb compromises like no DDr4 RAM. It's just weird that they've decided to not even bother simplifying their line. Only good news is they finally killed the 2012 model.

The entire time I just wanted to know what was on the inside. And even now, you're paying that price and not even getting the latest & greatest components.

I mean - it is what it is. In the end, I wanted a quad core, so a 2016 wasn't a need for me but, I paid $2600 for that machine, $20 for the adapter - compared to the $3100 for the 15" TouchBar Pro I had spec'd (base CPU, 4GB 460 GPU, 512 SSD) and thats before nay adapters were purchased.

I just hope Apple keeps updating the Mac line. This Mac may not be for me - but hopefully, just maybe, down the line they'll give us an iPhone SE equivalent of a Macbook Pro (sorry, desktop users).

Akiraptor

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but hoping someone knows what's going on. I've updated to MacOS Sierra (Macbook Pro Retina 2013), but it's seriously screwing with my files. Whenever I download photos from the Internet they are placed on top of the existing photos in the destination folders rather than at the bottom where they're supposed to be. When I select "clean up" it worsens the problem by sorting the photos into bizarre columns with inconsistent gaps between them.

Additionally, I cannot update to 10.12.1. I've downloaded the update but my Mac refuses to install it. The update freezes when it's trying to install and I have to power the Mac off. I thought it might just be a slow update but I left it for four hours today and it didn't budge. Have tried restarting everything several times and nothing has changed.

Tried asking over on the Apple site but got no response. Thanks for any help.

Fuchsdh

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but hoping someone knows what's going on. I've updated to MacOS Sierra (Macbook Pro Retina 2013), but it's seriously screwing with my files. Whenever I download photos from the Internet they are placed on top of the existing photos in the destination folders rather than at the bottom where they're supposed to be. When I select "clean up" it worsens the problem by sorting the photos into bizarre columns with inconsistent gaps between them.

Additionally, I cannot update to 10.12.1. I've downloaded the update but my Mac refuses to install it. The update freezes when it's trying to install and I have to power the Mac off. I thought it might just be a slow update but I left it for four hours today and it didn't budge. Have tried restarting everything several times and nothing has changed.

Tried asking over on the Apple site but got no response. Thanks for any help.

Can you post screenshots showing your issue? Your first problem sounds only like your finder views are sorting things in reverse, but I can't be sure.

Top Bottom