• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Deku Tree

can someone explain how to get rid of sierra beta and go to general release?

i've already removed myself from the beta program but how do i actually jump from beta to the general release?

Install the general release on your machine. Thats it.

EDIT: if your currently ahead of the general release then you should probably wait until the general release catches up and dont install any new betas in thr mean time. Apple gave you a chance to jump off the beta train when sierra came out.

Fuchsdh

They have until end of day tomorrow. If the invites are not out then there probably isn't an event at all.

That's what I'm saying, it's likely there's no event period. In the past they've launched Macs with just "here's a press release and impressions from people we flew in under NDA to check it out", I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same case here.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
That's what I'm saying, it's likely there's no event period. In the past they've launched Macs with just "here's a press release and impressions from people we flew in under NDA to check it out", I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same case here.
Yeah but you'd think an all new design would warrant some kind of fanfare.

digdug2k

My mother-in-law is in the market for a new laptop. She doesn't do much, but I know she'll want a Mac. Is there anything in the pipes on the non-pro market? That article makes it sound like no. Just no 11in?

I was comparing the Air and the MacBook last night. What exactly is the point of the regular MacBook? It looks slightly slightly smaller. Retina screen. Force touch trackpad. No ports. I'm guessing the m-cpus are slightly slower but better for battery, but the air has a bigger battery to make up for it? Am I missing something? It seems really strange they want $300 extra for it. Does everyone ask that?

My mother-in-law is in the market for a new laptop. She doesn't do much, but I know she'll want a Mac. Is there anything in the pipes on the non-pro market? That article makes it sound like no. Just no 11in?

I was comparing the Air and the MacBook last night. What exactly is the point of the regular MacBook? It looks slightly slightly smaller. Retina screen. Force touch trackpad. No ports. I'm guessing the m-cpus are slightly slower but better for battery, but the air has a bigger battery to make up for it? Am I missing something? It seems really strange they want $300 extra for it. Does everyone ask that?

The Air is still the most popular line, and there seem to be rumors the 13inch Air is getting updated along with the Pros. That's generally the go-to Mac, the 13 inch Air. But if she doesn't need any of those updates you might be able to get the current (soon to be previous) Air on an End of Life pricing or refurbished through Apple's refurb store for a great price

The MacBook (sometimes referred to as the 12" MacBook, Retina MacBook, or MacBook One due to the one port) commands a premium price due to the niche market and the engineering on the internals. Also I assume that screen, since the Air still doesn't have a retina screen

lord quas

I have a MacBook Pro mid 2012 (since mid 2012) and the hard drive is failing (I keep getting the waterballoon/hourglass-thing). I keep getting kernel[0]: disk0s2: I/O error in my console log. Now, I looked around for other MacBooks, but it occurred to me that I payed a lot for this laptop, and that it might be cheaper to just install a new SSD. I've also been looking into replacing both the mid and lower case, as there are a few dents in it. How much do you guys think it will realistically cost to get this done? I don't think I'll be doing it myself, but is it cheaper than buying a new MacBook?

Fuchsdh

I have a MacBook Pro mid 2012 (since mid 2012) and the hard drive is failing (I keep getting the waterballoon/hourglass-thing). I keep getting kernel[0]: disk0s2: I/O error in my console log. Now, I looked around for other MacBooks, but it occurred to me that I payed a lot for this laptop, and that it might be cheaper to just install a new SSD. I've also been looking into replacing both the mid and lower case, as there are a few dents in it. How much do you guys think it will realistically cost to get this done? I don't think I'll be doing it myself, but is it cheaper than buying a new MacBook?

Is this a retina or non-retina model?

Chances are when you start talking about replacing parts of the casing as opposed to single elements inside it it'll be cheaper just to get a new computer. But an SSD swap should be pretty trivial.

lord quas

Is this a retina or non-retina model?

Chances are when you start talking about replacing parts of the casing as opposed to single elements inside it it'll be cheaper just to get a new computer. But an SSD swap should be pretty trivial.

Non-retina model. I think I'll just replace the lower casing and the SSD, which should cost around +/- 300 euro in total (for 500 gb, I just checked the Apple store and updating the harddrive on a 13 inch non-retina model (512gb) costs 780 euro?!). The tutorials make it look easy, so maybe I'll just give it a go myself. Thank you for the answer. How does installing the OS work? Do I need to buy it? I'm planning on making a backup, but I'd actually like to start with a fresh drive as there is a lot of trash on my computer.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It's a transition machine. Right now it's new. It's overpriced. It's underpowered. It's basically the original Air. The original Air was horrible underpowered because Intel didn't have the proper chips for "Ultrabook" machines yet. Apple had to convince them to move in that direction at which point the Air became the machine you see now. Ultra light but still not feeling like it's unusable. However with the new MacBook it's going to take a bit more to make it worthy of replacing the Air. Dropping the 11" is just step one on the "Replace the Air" path. What really needs to drop is the price of the MacBook. Then even with the lower clock speed, it could still be good enough to take the Air's place, even if it's nowhere near the same performance. (Most people won't even notice. No one buys Airs for super performance and gaming. Just get a 13" Pro for a bit more if you need that.)

I'm just rambling at this point.

Which will be unveiled first? The new MacBook Pro or the Nintendo NX?

Fuchsdh

Non-retina model. I think I'll just replace the lower casing and the SSD, which should cost around +/- 300 euro in total (for 500 gb, I just checked the Apple store and updating the harddrive on a 13 inch non-retina model (512gb) costs 780 euro?!). The tutorials make it look easy, so maybe I'll just give it a go myself. Thank you for the answer. How does installing the OS work? Do I need to buy it? I'm planning on making a backup, but I'd actually like to start with a fresh drive as there is a lot of trash on my computer.

If you have an SSD caddy or an exclosure you can stick it in that, format it and install OS X and then swap it. Otherwise you need to make a bootable OS X installer, perform the swap and then boot from the installer.

lord quas

If you have an SSD caddy or an exclosure you can stick it in that, format it and install OS X and then swap it. Otherwise you need to make a bootable OS X installer, perform the swap and then boot from the installer.

Thanks a bunch! Bought a new battery as well, so I should be set for at again for at least a couple of years (... I hope haha)

BondFancy

This wait is so disheartening, never thought I'd be begging a company to take thousands of dollars from me. I pick the worst times to get into a product line.

jts

...hate me...
This wait is so disheartening, never thought I'd be begging a company to take thousands of dollars from me. I pick the worst times to get into a product line.
You seem to be in luck.

And so am I, depending on actual content of announcements.

Please be good and reasonable. No price leap compared to the current line I beg of you Apple.

Fuchsdh

How much would their new display be? $1000 like the previous Thunderbolt display?

Displays have only gotten cheaper over time. You can get 24" 4K displays for under $500 now. If they make a P3 monitor and combine it with a docking solution you can expect a premium price but I don't know if it'd be as expensive as the old one or not. If they make a 5K 27" maybe.

Displays have only gotten cheaper over time. You can get 24" 4K displays for under $500 now. If they make a P3 monitor and combine it with a docking solution you can expect a premium price but I don't know if it'd be as expensive as the old one or not. If they make a 5K 27" maybe.

I am assuming it's a 5K 27", yeah

Ambitious

In iTunes, I make heavy use of ratings and smart playlists. Out of nowhere, either iTunes or the shitty iOS Music app decided to assign album ratings to a bunch of my albums - again. The "Rating" item for smart playlists does not distinguish between track ratings and album ratings, so my smart playlists now all show wrong tracks. Now I have to manually go through my entire library and fix the ratings.

Thanks, Apple.

jts

...hate me...
So, uhhhh, my MacBook Pro retina that suffered liquid damage a few months back kinda... turned on? I plugged the charger in today just for kicks and it turned on! I'm still afraid of course but you know... wow. Just wow.

VPhys

So, uhhhh, my MacBook Pro retina that suffered liquid damage a few months back kinda... turned on? I plugged the charger in today just for kicks and it turned on! I'm still afraid of course but you know... wow. Just wow.

What did you do with it after it was damaged?

jts

...hate me...
What did you do with it after it was damaged?
After it returned from the Apple Authorized Service Provider (I didn’t accept their repair quote) I just set it aside for 2-2 and half months, was waiting on the new announcement before making a decision about it.

It’s really working well. I guess that drying it out completely, completely did the trick. I’m saying “completely” twice because clearly a couple of weeks had not been enough back then. Still I’ll give it a couple of weeks as a trial period to see if no issues arise.

Stoked. It’s like getting a new computer. But now next Thursday’s event will not mean the same to me, although I’ll follow the announcement closely.

Here's a picture of the bottom of my retine MBP screen.

Should I take it to Apple? There's a noticeable blue gradient there that drives me nuts. I'm also color blind which is annoying so I think I'm going crazy.

KA17pqn.jpg

ok definitely going to take it in. I didn't buy this laptop too long ago, so I'm wondering if I should wait until the new MBPs are announced lol, and see if it's possible for me to do an upgrade or something.

I'm not going to hold my breath, but I have months left on my 1 year.

ok definitely going to take it in. I didn't buy this laptop too long ago, so I'm wondering if I should wait until the new MBPs are announced lol, and see if it's possible for me to do an upgrade or something.

Won't be possible to do an upgrade, I'll tell you right now. They still repair 2011 MacBooks with 2011 parts, the device gets repaired as it was

kennah

Apple never does upgrades.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

They only have a 14-day return anyway. So the only way you'd get a new machine is if you bought it up to two weeks before it's released.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
If the touchstrip has its own dedicated processor hopefully that would alleviate the chance of it locking up at the same time the machine does. See the Power button would always need to be accessible even when the system can't respond so I bet they'll have a pressure sensitive physical button under that section that will be used when you need to force shut down the machine. And to turn it on. Unless they moved power back to its own dedicated button on the case.

jts

...hate me...
Yeah, that strikes me as a little odd, if only for the niggling concern that you could end up with an unresponsive touchbar and things like force quitting wouldn't work.
Maybe they will reassign the shortcut, like to cmd+alt+backspace.

Top Bottom