• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Suppose Apple released a new Mac mini for next year? What would it have? Obviously the Kaby Lake processors with Iris aren't available yet and would that make sense?

Fuchsdh

Suppose Apple released a new Mac mini for next year? What would it have? Obviously the Kaby Lake processors with Iris aren't available yet and would that make sense?

The same stuff it has now, just with USB-C ports (at least replacing the TB2 ones, maybe the USB-A ones as well) and updated processors, etc. Worst case scenario it gets more locked down and they remove the second HDD bay, but as long as they insist on selling models with mechanical HDs that's probably safe.

If I can get a 12" MacBook for £1000, should I go for it? (They're retailing at an insane £1250 in the U.K. right now...)

I'm coming from a 2012 13" MBA. Performance is still okay for the most part although occasionally the RAM struggles. But battery is suffering now. 2-3 hours at the very best.

I definitely don't want to go any bigger so the 13" MBP is not on my radar.

I'm tempted to wait for the next refresh of the 12" but is there anything to indicate major changes? Performance likely won't be an issue for me as I'm just web browsing, using basic software and watching stuff.

Fuchsdh

If I can get a 12" MacBook for £1000, should I go for it? (They're retailing at an insane £1250 in the U.K. right now...)

I'm coming from a 2012 13" MBA. Performance is still okay for the most part although occasionally the RAM struggles. But battery is suffering now. 2-3 hours at the very best.

I'm tempted to wait for the next refresh of the 12" but is there anything to indicate major changes? Performance likely won't be an issue for me as I'm just web browsing, using basic software and watching stuff.

The next update would probably get a bump to flash speeds, and the 7th gen processors (which aren't out for the entire line, only the m3.) Doesn't look like anything crazy exciting for the line, the 615 Intel GPU seems like a marginal update over the 515, you get a slightly faster base and boost clock.

Only possible significant update would be adding another USB-C port (which is possible, I suppose) and/or getting Thunderbolt 3, although I'm not sure about native TB support with the Core M line.

Cizard

Whether it's worth the risk performance wise is up to you and you don't really seem to care all too much so sure why not. Keeping 2 ports for the lower end 13" pro seems like a very apple thing to do so feature wise there's not likely to be huge changes. No way to really know for sure though of course.

I've done the same upgrade as you from a 2012ish MBA to a Macbook 2016 (m5 tho but I kinda regret that as cpu wise it's very little difference and I don't really need the 512 gb as much as I thought lol) and I quite like it! Had some wifi problems at first (only at home though) but those seem to have gone away. It's rather pricey but you got a good deal anyway.

Deku Tree

Gruber on the 32GB ram controversy - "Apple simply places a higher priority on thinness and lightness than performance-hungry pro users do. Intel just doesn’t make the chips that Apple needs. This is why Apple designs its own chips for iOS. You don’t see people complaining that the iPhone or iPad Pro are underpowered. We’ve all been speculating for years that Apple might start designing its own chips for Macs. At this point it looks like they have to do it."

Even MacBook Pro capable KabyLake processors won't support low power LPDDR4.

Gruber on the 32GB ram controversy - "Apple simply places a higher priority on thinness and lightness than performance-hungry pro users do. Intel just doesn’t make the chips that Apple needs. This is why Apple designs its own chips for iOS. You don’t see people complaining that the iPhone or iPad Pro are underpowered. We’ve all been speculating for years that Apple might start designing its own chips for Macs. At this point it looks like they have to do it."

Even MacBook Pro capable KabyLake processors won't support low power LPDDR4.

So do Skylake and Kaby Lake not support LPDDR4 in any way shape or form at all?

Deku Tree

So do Skylake and Kaby Lake not support LPDDR4 in any way shape or form at all?

"The true reason behind the lack of 32 GB or DDR4 is Intel. Skylake does not support LPDDR4 (LP for low power) RAM. Kabylake is set to include support, but only for the U category of chips. So no LPDDR4 support for mobile until 2018 I think."

"The true reason behind the lack of 32 GB or DDR4 is Intel. Skylake does not support LPDDR4 (LP for low power) RAM. Kabylake is set to include support, but only for the U category of chips. So no LPDDR4 support for mobile until 2018 I think."

C'mon Intel, get your shit together

Looks like even the President was concerned with the new MacBooks:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2016/10/31/presidents-council-launches-semiconductor-working-group

* but the prediction say if Intel Launches "Canonlake by then" (which going by recent history then lolnope). Even Kuo is not stupid enough to predict that Intel will launch on time.

We'll see. The simplest Canonlake chips could be ready by then. Remember, we essentially will have had two years of Skylake. Canonlake will be the third iteration of the architecture, now on a new process.

Edit: I'm most interested to see how the Canonlake MacBooks perform. The 10nm die shrink could be enough to make the MacBook powerful enough for like 95% of users. Drop the price and add in the v2 version of the butterfly keyboard, and people will be in.

Deku Tree

Looks like even the President was concerned with the new MacBooks:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2016/10/31/presidents-council-launches-semiconductor-working-group

We'll see. The simplest Canonlake chips could be ready by then. Remember, we essentially will have had two years of Skylake. Canonlake will be the third iteration of the architecture, now on a new process.

Edit: I'm most interested to see how the Canonlake MacBooks perform. The 10nm die shrink could be enough to make the MacBook powerful enough for like 95% of users. Drop the price and add in the v2 version of the butterfly keyboard, and people will be in.

There won't be a 32GB RAM option next year, and here's why: everything this article says about Cannonlake and Coffee Lake is false. Cannonlake (Intel's 10nm architecture) in the second half of 2017 will only come in 15W and 5W variants, not the 28W or 45W variants the Pro uses. Coffee Lake won't be out until 2018. The only thing Apple could put in an MBP next year is Kaby Lake, which also doesn't support LPDDR4 (except, I believe, in the 15W and 5W variants). So Apple's choices for putting RAM in a Kaby Lake MBP are, well, the same choices they have now: either use desktop DDR4 for 32GB or (overclocked to near-DDR4 speeds) LPDDR3, which limits them to 16GB. And they already made that choice.

Deku Tree

I'm not saying I think your wrong. I'm just posting more information about it. A lot of predictions seem to think that the chips suitable for the MacBookPro that support 32GB won't be ready in 2017. But it's of course as always unclear.

MrMephistoX

So is the stock Iris graphics chip still shit for PC gaming? I've had the OG Retina pro with the dedicated (AMD?) GPU since day one in 2012 so just curious if things have improved enough to where I wouldn't necessarily need the $2999 model this time.

Fuchsdh

So is the stock Iris graphics chip still shit for PC gaming? I've had the OG Retina pro with the dedicated (AMD?) GPU since day one in 2012 so just curious if things have improved enough to where I wouldn't necessarily need the $2999 model this time.

The Iris 550 in a DDR3 config is a little lower than the performance of a 930M, for comparison; Notebookcheck has it as marginally faster than the 650M of the 2012 model. In contrast the entry-level dGPU option, the Radeon 450, is basically a 1Tflop cutdown of the RX460. So basically if you want to play current games coming out at medium or possibly higher, you still need the dGPU. If you're fine with low-res, go with the Iris (given the possible eGPU capabilities coming down the line with TB3 you can also gamble on being able to get an external GPU later to boost the power.)

Sean

Banned
I wonder why Apple can't order a custom part? "We need X CPU with Y number of cores that supports Z memory." Sony and MS get custom parts from AMD and they probably have half the purchasing power Apple does, or is this something that Intel just doesn't do?

If this were the iPhone, sure, but Mac sales are very low volume in comparison. When you're shipping <5m units a quarter you probably don't have as much bargaining power.

jts

...hate me...
I was thinking of having an external SSD (nothing fancy, just a small cheapo one) with a Windows installation, for games and stuff. Probably even Windows 7 because 10 is expensive as hell. Unless I can't install 7 anymore.

Anyway, is a Thunderbolt enclosure (TB 1 or 2) worth it or is USB 3.0 plenty fine?

I was thinking of having an external SSD (nothing fancy, just a small cheapo one) with a Windows installation, for games and stuff. Probably even Windows 7 because 10 is expensive as hell. Unless I can't install 7 anymore.

Anyway, is a Thunderbolt enclosure (TB 1 or 2) worth it or is USB 3.0 plenty fine?

I sure as hell wouldn't want to run an OS and games off of USB 3.0 speeds, no way

I sure as hell wouldn't want to run an OS and games off of USB 3.0 speeds, no way

wtf are you talking about. usb3 is fine.

I am currently running my iMac off of an SSD fw400 enclosure as its better than my internal HD for 95% of IO tasks.

Speedwise usb3 would be completely fine and way cheaper than anything thunderbolt. Only thing though, is that installing a bootcamp install of windows is a pain in the ass, from what I can recall.

USB 3.1 gen 2 (10gbps) should be plenty. Now to find an external enclosure that supports it.

Oooh. Let me know if you find something good. Didn't think about that. I looked a couple of months ago for a good external m.2/NVMe enclosure, but didn't find much yet. Didn't look for SATA6.

Also, beyond speed, one of the major advantages of Gen 2 is lower overhead from the USB protocol as well.

Fuchsdh

Does anyone think the new 15" will have UI lag, because it's using an HD 530?

Doubt it. iGPUs have come a long way from the HD4000, and the fact that Apple is now shipping the models at higher-than-native retina resolutions means they must be pretty confident about the performance.

BondFancy

Doubt it. iGPUs have come a long way from the HD4000, and the fact that Apple is now shipping the models at higher-than-native retina resolutions means they must be pretty confident about the performance.
If you listen to the people on MacRumors you'd think the keyboard will break from crumbs after a day of use, your dGPU will combust after a year, your $3,000 laptops UI will lag constantly, your dongles will bork your wifi card, your space gray laptop will scratch up like a bitch, and everyone needs 32GBs of RAM. LOL

Fuchsdh

If you listen to the people on MacRumors you'd think the keyboard will break from crumbs after a day of use, your dGPU will combust after a year, your $3,000 laptops UI will lag constantly, your dongles will bork your wifi card, your space gray laptop will scratch up like a bitch, and everyone needs 32GBs of RAM. LOL

The internet is full of people with marginal tech use cases who think that since they're the hero of their story, companies should forever cater to them.

I think Apple's skipping of updates for desktop Macs is inexcusable. I'd probably take a bit more weight for a longer battery, better thermals, and upgradable components in their computer lines. But I also realize I'm a minority, and that if Apple doesn't serve my needs, I can go somewhere else. With the general PC market contracting there's more and more people trying to make a play for the remaining profitable markets and people with money to spend have a lot more solid options these days.

jts

...hate me...

wtf are you talking about. usb3 is fine.

I am currently running my iMac off of an SSD fw400 enclosure as its better than my internal HD for 95% of IO tasks.

Speedwise usb3 would be completely fine and way cheaper than anything thunderbolt. Only thing though, is that installing a bootcamp install of windows is a pain in the ass, from what I can recall.
Thanks. I&#8217;d go thunderbolt for at least keeping the USBs clear for other usages, but I&#8217;ll go USB if I can&#8217;t find anything reasonably priced.

Blackhead

Redarse

The internet is full of people with marginal tech use cases who think that since they're the hero of their story, companies should forever cater to them.

Macrumors is generally hyperbolic but then again almost all those concerns have occurred in the past five years (except RAM &#8213; nobody needs more than 512K)

I think Apple's skipping of updates for desktop Macs is inexcusable. I'd probably take a bit more weight for a longer battery, better thermals, and upgradable components in their computer lines. But I also realize I'm a minority, and that if Apple doesn't serve my needs, I can go somewhere else. With the general PC market contracting there's more and more people trying to make a play for the remaining profitable markets and people with money to spend have a lot more solid options these days.

What would you guys choose?

Macbook Pro 13" Non Touch Bar 2016 Base Model: $1,139.92

Macbook Pro 15" Touch Bar 2016 Base Model: $2,399

Macbook Pro 15" Touch Bar 2016 with Radeon Pro 960 dGPU upgrade: $2,599

I was able to get the Macbook Pro 13" at a price glitch on Amazon. Would this be enough for programming at 8GB RAM? Or do I need to pay more than double the amount for the 15" Macbooks with 16GB RAM.

So how loud is the keyboard sound on the new MBP? I saw a video linked in the preview event thread that made it sound extremely loud compared with last year's keyboard.

Vimes

Just got my 2015 MBP refurb, 15" with all the trim. Late 2008 model that I was stubbornly holding out with on Mavericks finally gave up the ghost.

My first several hours using El Capitan were the absolute worst on my eyes (what were Apple thinking with these post-Mavericks UI changes?) but after I upgraded to Sierra I feel better. Am I just getting used to it, or did they make some changes to make the windows pop better?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm so glad Apple reverted to the old style sorting of icon view with labels on the right.

Sierra introduced a new unintuitive way of sorting the icons when in Icon view with right-side labels where it would sort them left to right then down a row, which is how they sort when in bottom label mode. But this was unintuitive and didn't flow as well because your eyes follow the icons, which go lined up top to bottom. So you'd get lost looking for something when sorted alphabetically. Now they're back to normal with the icons sorting top to bottom then to the right column-wise. Much better flow with your eyes. Must have had a lot of people complain about it that it took until 10.12.2 for them to revert it. (It's still the other way in 10.12.1.

Fuchsdh

Just got my 2015 MBP refurb, 15" with all the trim. Late 2008 model that I was stubbornly holding out with on Mavericks finally gave up the ghost.

My first several hours using El Capitan were the absolute worst on my eyes (what were Apple thinking with these post-Mavericks UI changes?) but after I upgraded to Sierra I feel better. Am I just getting used to it, or did they make some changes to make the windows pop better?

Fairly certain it's the same light color scheme from Yosemite on.

Meh3D

I'm thinking of downgrading. How much has a MacBook Pro 13" 2015 (Maxed CPU, 16GB, 512 SSD) with Apple Care gone for? (Paid 2.1k+ new)

Meh3D

If I use a MacBook Pro everyday, is it better to let it sleep during the night (8hrs) or turn it off?

My 2011 13" MacBook Pro never needed a restart. I could leave it on for months with no issues.

My work MacBook Pro 15" 2012 w/ Retina (Maxed sans SSD) needs reboots and its nvram flushed often.

My personal one needs reboots from time to time when it's lagging. Apple "Genius" says it's my antivirus and I don't need one(bullshit I read the stats. ) I used Sophos on all except the work one because it's not free for commercial use. The work one is the worst. It wakes from sleep horribly lagging just trying to log in.

Regardless, reboot only when things appear to not be working like they should. Same for windows 8 and 10. I have a cheap HP stream 9 for testing apps and that thing has not been rebooted. Works great after so much testing. (Needs reboot when updating though.)

There have been a variety of small tweaks and improvements with both El Capitan and Sierra. For example, the system font was changed to San Francisco from a variant of Helvetica Nue, and the color of Control Center changed. Beyond that, a handleful of transparency adjustments, etc.

Also, performance and responsiveness majorly improved with the introduction of Metal, which makes the OS feel way better.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Sleeping is perfectly fine for Mac laptops. Apples even blurring the line between sleeping and shut off with the new machines that turn themselves on when you open the lid. Coupled with how fast they turn on they're practically almost impossible to tell the difference between.

Just sleep.

KingKong

Are there any other media players that hide the UI until you mouse over and dont have a border like MPlayerX?

looks like VLC wont do the mouse over part which is annoying

Meh3D

What would you guys choose?

I was able to get the Macbook Pro 13" at a price glitch on Amazon. Would this be enough for programming at 8GB RAM? Or do I need to pay more than double the amount for the 15" Macbooks with 16GB RAM.

You are more than fine with 8GB for programming.

Top Bottom