• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Bought all new Mac trackpads, keyboards and mouse. Exorbitant prices but at least theyre well made. Only issue is the location of the charging port on the mouse but I'm pretty satisfied with these products.

I dont know why the trackpad costs $129 though. Fucking hell. I got them all 25% off but even then it feels insane. Oh well. I do like having it wider as well as the subtle haptic feedback. Dont think I'll ever use force touch though. I barely even use it on the laptop.

As for the keyboard, it'll take some time to get used to the key travel compared to the older ones. I like it however. I also like the fatter function keys.

I feel like a shill but I really like opening new Apple products. Sigh. Stupid well packaged accessories.

Fuchsdh

I feel like a shill but I really like opening new Apple products. Sigh. Stupid well packaged accessories.

Honestly I feel like the unparalleled packaging is still taken for granted as one of the elements of Apple's design that really sells the product and experience. It's still mind-boggling that years ago all your cables and electronics came in those cruddy plastic clamshells you had to rip into with sharp objects.

Honestly I feel like the unparalleled packaging is still taken for granted as one of the elements of Apple's design that really sells the product and experience. It's still mind-boggling that years ago all your cables and electronics came in those cruddy plastic clamshells you had to rip into with sharp objects.

Seriously. Unwrapping the plastic from an item feels so satisfying. Like the whole thing peels off in one long motion instead of being wrapped in a bag or something. Little things like that really add to the experience.

Twelve South also has impressive packaging as well but thats to be expected since they make 99% Apple product accessories.

gogojira

I swore the new MBP off the day it was announced but I'm due for new hardware at work and, yeah, I'm a total hypocrite. Ended up with the 15" base CPU, 16GB RAM, 512GB and the 460 4GB card.

I'm weak. :|

It arrives sometime in December. :D

Wow, Apple Thunderbolt Display 2011 has high resale value. I see some selling on eBay from $550 to $1050. This makes me consider in getting the new LG 5K display.

I swore the new MBP off the day it was announced but I'm due for new hardware at work and, yeah, I'm a total hypocrite. Ended up with the 15" base CPU, 16GB RAM, 512GB and the 460 4GB card.

I'm weak. :|

It arrives sometime in December. :D

I got yours, but with 256GB SSD. How can one live with low storage? I am spoiled by 512GB to 1TB internal storage.

gogojira

I got yours, but with 256GB SSD. How would you suggest that I live with low storage? I am spoiled by 512GB to 1TB internal storage.

I had this fortunate situation where I wanted the upgraded GPU and storage because I run a few VMs and I fucking haaate the tiny amount of storage my current rig has (128). It was sort of jokingly brought up that I wanted the storage more and my co worker wanted the GPU more and our boss was like, "just get both." OK done, lol.

I guess it depends on what you're doing. I think I could have managed with 256 but 512 is going to feel like acres for me considering what I'm coming from.

Blackhead

Redarse
Wow, Apple Thunderbolt Display 2011 has high resale value. I see some selling on eBay from $550 to $1050. This makes me consider in getting the new LG 5K display.

LG ≠ Apple. One the reasons that the Thunderbolt Display has such high resale value is because thunderbolt was a less popular port with limited alternatives. There will be many USBC monitors. Another reason was for the resale value was because Apple never lowered the price of the display. The LG 5K hasn't even launched yet and Apple is already running a 25% off promotion. It's a good time to get the LG5K but don't bank on high resale values five years from now

giga

LG ≠ Apple. One the reasons that the Thunderbolt Display has such high resale value is because thunderbolt was a less popular port with limited alternatives. There will be many USBC monitors. Another reason was for the resale value was because Apple never lowered the price of the display. The LG 5K hasn't even launched yet and Apple is already running a 25% off promotion. It's a good time to get the LG5K but don't bank on high resale values five years from now
The lg is still using thunderbolt. I don't know if there will be many thunderbolt monitors. Dell and others may continue to stick with dp or hdmi, especially since they can use those protocols with usb-c.

Blackhead

Redarse
The lg is still using thunderbolt. I don't know if there will be many thunderbolt monitors. Dell and others may continue to stick with dp or hdmi, especially since they can use those protocols with usb-c.

Even if Dell et al don't go with thunderbolt, their displays could still be 'good enough'. Previously if you wanted a monitor to serve as charging dock for your Mac laptop, you pretty much had to buy an Apple display. Now, as monitors transition to USBC, there will be more convenient alternatives, even if they all won't be as powerful as the LG5K

Meh3D

If it were 12% per core, that'd be something.

Depends on what you're programming. For web development I'd say 16GB is way more comfortable.

Regarding this person's question, they sound new to programming. Even then, you can do almost everything with just 4GB of ram. I can say it's been rare to need so much more memory in programming out side of virtualizing networks (Active Directory) to test client-server applications. I'd say, if this person needed it, they would know it. Least for me, 8GB is both fine and safe . If this is your fuck all, everything must be open for everything and anything at all hours, sure! Go for the 16 GB.

Granted, for the amount Apple charges on the base Macbook Pro without the touch bar (1500 USD), it should come with 16GB standard. Not just Apple. I think it's ridiculous that you need to spend 2700USD min for 16GB on the Surface Book Pro. (That Studio too Microsoft..)

Moreche

My wife is a teacher so I'm hoping to buy the new MBP using her teacher discount but she has never used it before.
How much discount can she qualify for?

What is the benefit of Thunderbolt for a display? The ports on the LG displays seem to be USB-C, but not Thunderbolt. I guess using the display as a charging source for the MBP?

giga

Marc Edwards made a nice chart for choosing an external monitor based on PPI.

i3LVp2u.png

What is the benefit of Thunderbolt for a display? The ports on the LG displays seem to be USB-C, but not Thunderbolt. I guess using the display as a charging source for the MBP?
Just the one thunderbolt cable will not only transfer video and power for charging, but data as well to provide USB, camera, mic, and speakers on the monitor.

Reckoner

Am I the only one conflicted about Apple and USB-C?

I mean, I like the aggressive way Apple is pushing it with their new MBP. It will probably help the market transition faster to the superior standard which is great, but I wouldn't buy it right now. Although, If I want the old MacBook Pro it has no USB-C. What am I supposed to make out of this?

jts

...hate me...
Am I the only one conflicted about Apple and USB-C?

I mean, I like the aggressive way Apple is pushing it with their new MBP. It will probably help the market transition faster to the superior standard which is great, but I wouldn't buy it right now. Although, If I want the old MacBook Pro it has no USB-C. What am I supposed to make out of this?
A "legacy" MBP with a USB-C/TB3 port (at the expense of a TB2 port) would be great indeed but heh I guess this kind of adapter:

-font-b-Laptop-b-font-USB-3-0-Male-to-USB-3-1-Type-font.jpg

...would already allow to be on the market for USB-C devices and cables instead of swapping everything up by the time someone in your situation (and mine) gets a USB-C-only Mac or PC in a few years.

i3LVp2u.png

Just the one thunderbolt cable will not only transfer video and power for charging, but data as well to provide USB, camera, mic, and speakers on the monitor.

Great chart, thank you

i3LVp2u.png

According to this, my 1080p 27" Display is a piece of shit. I can't wait for my LG 5K 27" to arrive.

That is true, but for a MBP external display the camera and mic are superfluous. As are speakers for me. I'd say many people could get away with a non-Thunderbolt USB-C monitor, as long as 5k is not a concern.

Just noticed the LG 4k display only sends 60W of power, so it can't even adequately charge the MBP. It's annoying that the wattage between the MB and MBP are different, as it's fracturing the accessories market.

jts

...hate me...
That is true, but for a MBP external display the camera and mic are superfluous. As are speakers for me. I'd say many people could get away with a non-Thunderbolt USB-C monitor, as long as 5k is not a concern.

Just noticed the LG 4k display only sends 60W of power, so it can't even adequately charge the MBP. It's annoying that the wattage between the MB and MBP are different, as it's fracturing the accessories market.
It will not charge "inadequately" but rather more slowly (just the MBP 15") which shouldn't be an issue if you're hooked with an external monitor.

How's that annoying really? Computers come in different sizes, have different power needs and different sized batteries. One charger can charge them all but larger ones can benefit from a charger better suited to their size.

Even the iPhone ships with a 5W charger and the iPad with a 10/12W but both can charge from either charger.

It will not charge "inadequately" but rather more slowly (just the MBP 15") which shouldn't be an issue if you're hooked with an external monitor.

How's that annoying really? Computers come in different sizes, have different power needs and different sized batteries. One charger can charge them all but larger ones can benefit from a charger better suited to their size.

Even the iPhone ships with a 5W charger and the iPad with a 10/12W but both can charge from either charger.

I wouldn't say the iPhone chargers are a good example because I find it extremely annoying. I always get them mixed up, and the wattage is printed in tiny tiny type. Let's not even go into the fact that you have to buy a separate charger for the iPad Pro to get full charging ability...

Does 60W on the 15" MBP charge more slowly, or lose power more slowly? I guess my point is, why not set the bar at the highest level? Macs have adaptive power supplies, so shouldn't the normal MacBook be able to handle an 85W source?

An odd ball question but I figured I'd see if anyone had any ideas. A mac air running 10.8.5(can't update right now)has suddenly lost the ability to print landscape. You can select landscape but every time it comes out portrait regardless of the file or the app. Anyone ever seen anything like this? Occurs on multiple printers.

Fuchsdh

Nothing like getting the new MBP at the price it really should have been to begin with :)

On a sad note, my wife accidentally shifted my blanket fort I was using to deaden sound for a podcast recording and a 15 pound weight came down on my MBP's lid. Did some minor spotting damage to the LCD and now there's a long dented line, but luckily that's all the damage for now. Grr. Can't wait until I live some place with real soundproofing.

kennah

Nothing like getting the new MBP at the price it really should have been to begin with :)

On a sad note, my wife accidentally shifted my blanket fort I was using to deaden sound for a podcast recording and a 15 pound weight came down on my MBP's lid. Did some minor spotting damage to the LCD and now there's a long dented line, but luckily that's all the damage for now. Grr. Can't wait until I live some place with real soundproofing.

What Podcast?

VPhys

i3LVp2u.png

Darn, this helps a lot, but also makes me disappointed. So I can't get a 4K, 3840 X 2160 Resolution at 24" screen size. I was hoping the mac could scale this and still make it look good, like it does on its own display.

Fuchsdh

Darn, this helps a lot, but also makes me disappointed. So I can't get a 4K, 3840 X 2160 Resolution at 24" screen size. I was hoping the mac could scale this and still make it look good, like it does on its own display.

Yeah you can. I'm typing this on a Dell P2415Q. No idea why that chart doesn't have it.

VPhys

Yeah you can. I'm typing this on a Dell P2415Q. No idea why that chart doesn't have it.

Well it has a similar monitor. But it says the text is too small. Are you running at retina resolution?

I was eyeing the Samsung UE590, very similar to the Dell.

Fuchsdh

Well it has a similar monitor. But it says the text is too small. Are you running at retina resolution?

Depending on what I'm doing, I either run it at native retina (so 1080p HiDPI) or slightly higher for more real estate on screen (either 2048x1152 or sometimes 2304 x 1296). To me it's perfectly usable and the screen looks great even when scaling, when viewed from about 18 inches on my desk. Really happy with it. I'd take pics but it's not like it'd really translate via photos. :)

My secondary monitor is a bog-standard 1080p ASUS panel of roughly the same size, and the difference in text size and such between them is really irrelevant.

I'm still deciding whether to get the LG Ultrafine 5K Display. It cost $974, which is way more than my current monitor: Asus 1080p Display. Paid $200 for that monitor.

Convince me to not get this LG 5K display. I'll be programming, looking a beautiful pictures and watching movies along with music listening. How do I watch 4K movies that isn't scaled to 5K, so it doesn't look as blurry?

cjp

Decided not to bother with the new MacBook Pro's here in the UK.

Would loved to have moved to a 15" display...but I don't want it enough to warrant the kind of money Apple are asking for.

Instead, I've splurged on 16GB RAM and a 1TB SSD for my mid 2012 non-retina 13". It's so much faster, I can't even put it into words.

Hopefully it'll keep me going for a few more years.

If it were 12% per core, that'd be something.

Depends on what you're programming. For web development I'd say 16GB is way more comfortable.

I can't think of anything that would require 16GB in the web development world that would choke 8GB.

16GB in general is always nice but yea but it's not going to hurt your web development going with 8GB

myco666

Figured I ask this here instead of making new thread on OT.

My harddrive broke couple of days ago making the my MB Pro (early 2011) unusable. Changed the HDD to SSD and everything is working fine now. Now since I am no longer afraid of touching the insides of this thing would there be much benefit to up my RAM? Still have the initial 4GB of RAM. Also Apple site says max would be 8GB but some articles said I could even install 16GB so which one to trust?

Figured I ask this here instead of making new thread on OT.

My harddrive broke couple of days ago making the my MB Pro (early 2011) unusable. Changed the HDD to SSD and everything is working fine now. Now since I am no longer afraid of touching the insides of this thing would there be much benefit to up my RAM? Still have the initial 4GB of RAM. Also Apple site says max would be 8GB but some articles said I could even install 16GB so which one to trust?

Apple RAM specs are often pegged to what size SO-DIMMs are available at the time, but the chipset determines the actual limit. That MBP should take 16gb of RAM.

myco666

So I should upgrade atleast to 8GB. Worth going for the 16GB? Seems to be double the price (approx. 50€ to 100€ jump). Is there any major quality differences between brands or are all of the following fine: Kingston, Crucial and Corsair?

Don't play that much games on my laptop but I do some programming and audio editing from time to time.

Top Bottom