• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

So I should upgrade atleast to 8GB. Worth going for the 16GB? Seems to be double the price (approx. 50€ to 100€ jump). Is there any major quality differences between brands or are all of the following fine: Kingston, Crucial and Corsair?

Don't play that much games on my laptop but I do some programming and audio editing from time to time.

16GB RAM is possible on a early 2011 MBP.

I would've bought a newer MacBook Pro if it were me.

jts

...hate me...
Any favorite USB-C hubs/docking stations? Not looking to drop $300 or so on a TB3 dock just yet. Needs to have power delivery support so a 13" MBP can be charged as well.

I trust Anker so this one is what I'm looking at right now: https://www.anker.com/products/A8301041

If I were to carry a dock on me or just have a dock I wouldn’t waste it on one that does nothing more than adding USB-A ports, even if 3 of them. I mean, especially if we are meant to gradually get away from USB-A.

Aukey - USB-C passthrough + 4 SS USB-A + HDMI - $24.99. Even more overkill with the USB-A but it also throws in HDMI, and hey it’s cheap.

Anker - USB-C passthrough + 2 SS USB-A + HDMI - $59.99. Less ports than then the Aukey and more expensive, but it’s Anker. And it has HDMI.

Satechi - USB-C passthrough + 2 SS USB-A + HDMI - $59.99. Exactly the same as the previous Anker, but from Satechi. More stylish and can be color matched.

Satechi - USB-C passthrough + 3 SS USB-A + HDMI + Ethernet + Micro SD and SD - $79.99. Everything but the kitchen sink. The more expensive one but would probably pony out for it. Connectivity for days.
Space Gray version sold out.

myco666

16GB RAM is possible on a early 2011 MBP.

I would've bought a newer MacBook Pro if it were me.

Not really what I was asking.

And yeah if I had the extra money to buy new MBP I would have done that but since I don't have that much money I would like to breath new life into this thing for few hundred euros. Not to mention that newer MPBs are lacking in features I would like it to have.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Is anyone else starting to get dodgy iCloud requests?

o610Hxg.png

You can't decline them or the spammer gets your real name and confirmation your account is active. I've disabled iCloud photo sharing, but I've seen people are getting it with Calendar too.

giga

o610Hxg.png

You can't decline them or the spammer gets your real name and confirmation your account is active. I've disabled iCloud photo sharing, but I've seen people are getting it with Calendar too.

https://9to5mac.com/2016/11/09/icloud-photo-sharing-and-calendar-spam/

It was happening to me for a few days but stopped.

Did you turn on two factor?

Doesn't matter if you do. I have it on.

Mafro

Is there any way to stop my Mac from turning down the volume of my music whenever I get a notification or something like that?

mrkgoo

Yep it's on, I changed my password the first time it happened just in case, but it's happened again.

Isn't t just a request? Couldn't it technically happen with any service? Like someone could try to iMessage you etc

Edit: I guess getting your real name could be bad, in regards to just getting more personal info that could aid in some social engineering

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I don't use Photo Sharing so I haven't gotten any of those. But today I did get an iMessage spam in my Unknown Senders folder. I reported it to Apple using the link. I've gotten two or three so far in the past few months. Since it's linked to your email and not your phone number they can just use random emails and send messages to random iCloud addresses and hope something sticks.

Laekon

Is there anyway to set up a password requirement based on the network a Mac is connected to? I mostly use my rMBP at home and don't want to deal with typing in the password all the time. I also go to a large university and I'm ever so slightly worried about my laptop getting stolen. I was hoping to set it up so that if it's connected to my home network no password is needed.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Is there anyway to set up a password requirement based on the network a Mac is connected to? I mostly use my rMBP at home and don't want to deal with typing in the password all the time. I also go to a large university and I'm ever so slightly worried about my laptop getting stolen. I was hoping to set it up so that if it's connected to my home network no password is needed.
Unfortunately I don't think so. I asked this a while ago and was told that it doesn't depend if it's Mac or Windows or Linux, networks are very easy to spoof. So even if it was stolen, if the thief is smart, they could spoof your home network if they were determined enough.

Fortunately the new Touchbar will offer a good way to get rid of having to always enter your password no matter where you are. But for now you'll just have to enter it all the time. Just suck it up basically. Entering a password all the time is a fine price to pay to be certain your personal information won't be exposed. (And make sure to use Find My Mac)

When I am home I frequently use caffeine or a hot corner to prevent sleep, but the default is for each of my Macs to lock and need a password if left alone.

https://9to5mac.com/2016/11/14/schiller-touch-bar-macbooks-imacs/

This sure seems to imply that the Touch Bar is coming to iMacs somehow (it was always pretty unlikely that it wouldn't, of course).

It's actually pretty simple if you think about it.

Think about what Microsoft had to do, and how painful the transition has been, to make their desktop OS touch-friendly?

It literally started with Windows 8 four years ago, requiring major updates to the user interface of the OS, and a complete overhaul of Microsoft's UI APIs, and the transition still isn't anywhere near complete.

While I'm sure Apple would be able to pull off the transition much better than Microsoft, we can't pretend the transition hasn't been without issues and ignore a large number of UI mistakes made by Microsoft.

Fuchsdh

It's actually pretty simple if you think about it.

Think about what Microsoft had to do, and how painful the transition has been, to make their desktop OS touch-friendly?

It literally started with Windows 8 four years ago, requiring major updates to the user interface of the OS, and a complete overhaul of Microsoft's UI APIs, and the transition still isn't anywhere near complete.

While I'm sure Apple would be able to pull off the transition much better than Microsoft, we can't pretend the transition hasn't been without issues and ignore a large number of UI mistakes made by Microsoft.

It's still bizarre how the Settings are split across the "metro" UI and the Windows 95 UI, and more maddenly some settings aren't exposed in certain views. That sort of shit is ridiculous four years in. It's like if certain preference panes were left with OS 9 chrome or something.*

*Although as late as 10.6 and the 2008 Mac Pros the restore disc software tests did still have OS 9 style dialogs and buttons. With everything running on recovery partitions I think that's dead except for legacy hardware though.

hirokazu

https://9to5mac.com/2016/11/14/schiller-touch-bar-macbooks-imacs/

This sure seems to imply that the Touch Bar is coming to iMacs somehow (it was always pretty unlikely that it wouldn't, of course).
I've no doubt a new Magic Keyboard will feature the Touch Bar. I've been playing with the on-screen software Touch Bar and it got me thinking "this should really be integrated into the trackpad rather than being placed where the function row was."

Nevermind that the Magic Trackpad 2 is already insanely expensive, but to me, ceding part of the track pad to be a touch display (and eventually the entire track pad surface when costs allow) is a much better solution if they're not going to do touch on the main display itself.

On laptops, having it in it's current position is only convenient if you're using the keyboard, not so much if you're using the trackpad. Placing it along the top of the trackpad allows easy access from both - it's close to the space bar and your thumb.

I think some of its features, like the typing autosuggest and duplicating dialog box button are kinda useless off the main screen though. You'd have to look away from the screen to interact, in which case it's faster to just use the keyboard. Unless the contents of the Touch Bar are duplicated on screen, which... is a bit of a waste.

Anyway, I hope someone comes up with feature to map the trackpad to the Touch Bar when a hotkey is held down for those using the on-screen version. You wouldn't have to look away from the display and you can interact with all the shortcuts quickly.

The performance of the Touch Bar seems a bit concerning to me, though we'll have to see how things improve after the first few software updates.

It's an Apple Watch CPU powering a bit more pixels than a watch display, so I wouldn't think horsepower would be too much of a problem, especially if it's running at a higher speed. The USB 2.0 connection to the logic board is a little worrying, however.

RDreamer

Just ordered mine. Got a new credit card (been needing one of those anyway) and it has no interest for a year plus some cash back on the first purchase, so that made the $3k pill a bit easier to swallow.

What made it harder, though, is waiting until fucking December 22-28. Ugh.

Water

Visual Studio on macOS.

Goodbye Windows!

"Visual Studio" based on Xamarin Studio and supporting only C#, apparently.
It should make Unity game development on Mac a lot nicer because you can get rid of Monodevelop. But it does nothing to fix Apple's decade-long failure to deliver modern GPU features (in drivers - they're something like 5+ years behind on OpenGL and are not doing Vulkan at all) or that they don't offer an upper midrange GPU or better on any Mac model, at any price, and haven't done so in years.

I've constantly owned a Mac laptop since about 2003, and while I occasionally had other computers in addition, that Mac has always been my "trusted" one, and my primary study and work machine every time the software I needed was capable of running on MacOS at all. I expect that tradition will come to an end early next year. I'd still prefer MacOS in a lot of uses for miscellaneous UI reasons, some exclusive power-user software and security, but little niceties in UX aren't enough for me to tolerate the fundamental lack of features and power anymore. And Apple seems dead set on destroying parts of the existing UX as well, looking at the new keyboard situation for instance.

I think people are speculating on a touchbar keyboard. It would probably cost a lot more than people are used to paying for a keyboard.

This wouldn't surprise me, yeah.

Hoping, tbh, for the current cheap one (maybe updated to use USB-C instead of Lightning?) and then a pricier one with TouchPad and bringing back the numpad.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Took the plunge on a 2015 Pro, I've been jonesing for a retina screen for a while now. The 2016 Pros are neat but I'm not ready to commit to the port decisions yet. Maybe in the future. Plus, always wait for the model revisions, etc.

My mid-2011 Macbook Air is actually still going strong aside from a worn-out A key and the battery that doesn't hold its juice properly anymore. I could have the battery replaced but I decided to go for a new one due to the better screen.

This Air was my first Mac and I've carried it around in my backpack and used it daily since I bought it over 5 years ago. Love how sturdy these things are.

Ambitious

Seriously. How am supposed to be productive with a device that can't even open two instances of the same app simultaneously?

Even media consumption can be restricted in some cases. For instance, I can't open GAF threads with too many embedded videos on my iPad. Like some pages in the Metal thread, for example. After loading for a while, the tab crashes and Safari reloads the page. Then it crashes again, and Safari reloads the page. Then it crashes again, and so on. I literally cannot read some threads on my iPad.
On my phone, for some reason Safari does not crash, but it renders the pages only partially. When I scroll down a bit, everything's white. At some point, the content may appear, but not always. Sometimes, I can see the thumbnails of the embedded videos, but nothing else, not even text.

You can't tell me that there's not a single bug left to fix.
If you want specific examples for features or changes, how about OPML Import for RSS subscription services? How about NC widgets? Notifications? Blacklists? Sophisticated search? Rules and actions for matching items? Image/video previews? Readability is shutting down next week. Is he gonna have an update ready to remove it from the apps? I doubt it.

The point is, you can't just release an app and then disappear into thin air until the next major, paid upgrade is ready. I'm not gonna pay another ten bucks for Reeder 4, if it's ever released. I'm not gonna pay ten bucks for an app that receives no support whatsoever.

Given my previous experiences with cloud-based services from Apple - or Apple software in general - I think it's safe to assume that this kind of issue will persist in the final release.

Of course he didn't.

bildschirmfoto2016-11r9lkq.png

Ambitious

o610Hxg.png

I'm getting this shit too. Luckily not with photos. Just calendar.
Apple better fix this shit.

Yup, I just got a Chinese spam calendar invitation.

With calendar invitations (I got one this morning) you can make a new calendar, move the invite to that one, and then delete the calendar entirely

The retina 15s from 2012-2015 have negligible power differences right? My boss is a super Apple fanboy and wants to upgrade and is thinking of selling me his old one

Fuchsdh

The retina 15s from 2012-2015 have negligible power differences right? My boss is a super Apple fanboy and wants to upgrade and is thinking of selling me his old one

The processors aren't much different. Biggest differences is in flash speeds and graphics, especially iGPUs.

Sooo I am still fairly new to the Macbook and OS x system and have an issue now since I updated to Sierra. The Play/Pause key now always opens itunes, while I just want to play/pause Google Music in Chrome. It worked before just fine.

Also, anyone had any experience with those "made for macbook pro/air" sd cards, like the Jetdrive? I would like to Upgrade my storage without plugging in hard drives or "sticking out" sd cards all the time.

Ambitious

FYI this seems to be fixed today (but the Feedly connection seems to be weird).

Yes, it's again working for me too. So I guess it was a temporary issue unrelated to the shutdown. Either way, the Readability API will be available until Dec. 10th, then it will be gone for good.

X-Frame

I'm expecting the new 15" today and currently am using a 2010 MBP but I don't want to do any backup from my current computer.

I want to start as fresh as possible and move over things individually. Basically all I need are applications, my music (iTunes folder), and my Documents.

I also Backup all this via Time Machine every week, so it should be easy for me to transfer all that from my External HDD to my new MBP? I've never done this before.

EDIT: Nvm, did some research and found how to do it after connecting my TM External drive to my new Mac. Thanks!

JDeluis

Does anyone know of any good deals for 11.6 " Macbook Air during Black Friday? Or Macbook Air in general.

Best Buy will have the 128GB 13-inch MacBook Air is available for $799.99 (down from $999.99) and the 256GB 13-inch MacBook Air is available for $999.99 (down from $1,199.99).

RDreamer

Set my new MBP to migrate last night so I could wake up to a new computer and really test it out! After about an hour trying to get it on the goddamned wifi, it’s finally working.

First thoughts: Goddamn this is fast. I’m coming from a 2012 with 16gb ram and a regular non-flash HDD. This is opening photoshop files in about 5 seconds that would have taken 3-4 minutes plus some extra lag to actually work on them. Everything is smoooooth.

The touchpad is sexy, but I’m with some others: As someone that knows shortcuts I don’t see a ton of use for it so far.

One alarming thing: I typed this message 5 times because I was accidentally refreshing safari every time I was typing. I haven’t figured out exactly what’s causing that or how, though…

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Well I did something crazy.

I've been excited to update my top-end 2013 rMBP 15" for a little while now; but the new Pro models are just so disappointing to me. I couldn't really care less about the touch bar... and the truth is, the new '16 15" wouldn't really give me any additional functionality that I'm lacking with my '13.

So, I went back to what I want out of a laptop. I want to be able to have an ultra-portable, full OS device. Something that isn't a pain lugging through an airport, on a plane, and to client sites. I wanted something that is just so easy to grab, there's no reason it's never *not* with me.

And on the flip side, I wanted something that I could play games on. The whole reason I have a laptop with the 750M, is that it could occasionally let me load up a game or two. But nowadays? That 750M is trash for video games. And early impressions show the 460-equipped Pros still struggling to maintain 60fps at 1080p on a game like Overwatch. My buddy's 1060 Blade, though, has OW at ultra 1080p running at 100+ fps consistently. 60fps locked on BF1 ultra. Etc.

So, I'm selling my 15.

And I just snagged a good deal on an m5/512GB rMB w/ Applecare. And I'm going to purchase a Razer Blade 14".

I can grab the MB for work. for around the house. For overseas travel. Etc.

But when I'm on a road trip with family, or staying somewhere for the weekend, or going to a buddy's to lan, I'll have the Blade.

giga

I've been excited to update my top-end 2013 rMBP 15" for a little while now; but the new Pro models are just so disappointing to me. I couldn't really care less about the touch bar... and the truth is, the new '16 15" wouldn't really give me any additional functionality that I'm lacking with my '13.

So, I went back to what I want out of a laptop. I want to be able to have an ultra-portable, full OS device. Something that isn't a pain lugging through an airport, on a plane, and to client sites. I wanted something that is just so easy to grab, there's no reason it's never *not* with me.

And on the flip side, I wanted something that I could play games on. The whole reason I have a laptop with the 750M, is that it could occasionally let me load up a game or two. But nowadays? That 750M is trash for video games. And early impressions show the 460-equipped Pros still struggling to maintain 60fps at 1080p on a game like Overwatch. My buddy's 1060 Blade, though, has OW at ultra 1080p running at 100+ fps consistently. 60fps locked on BF1 ultra. Etc.

So, I'm selling my 15.

And I just snagged a good deal on an m5/512GB rMB w/ Applecare. And I'm going to purchase a Razer Blade 14".

But when I'm on a road trip with family, or staying somewhere for the weekend, or going to a buddy's to lan, I'll have the Blade.
Going from the 15" to a MacBook one? Super crazy.

So, I'm selling my 15.

Honestly? I think I'm going to do the same thing, for the same reasons. I had maxed out the new 15" in the hopes that with an eGPU enclosure it could be everything all in one computer. But I don't think that's going to happen quick enough for me, that one computer future

Looking into the razer stuff now

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Early 2013. Everything maxed out
Well depending on the price, it's still a fine machine.

As long as it's not falling apart by now. Mine is forming some sad usage wear now. The keyboard is slowly dying one key at a time so I've had to use an external one and disable the top case .kext. The rubber bumper around the screen is peeling and expanding in the middle where I grip it every time I open or close the lid or slide the computer. (I don't grip on the screen because I'd have to squeeze and last thing I need to do is damage the display.) Two of the feet fell off and I don't have glue to put them back on. Of course also the power cord has formed the expanding and peeling rubber disease that many Apple cables do. (iPhone cables are the same way.) Wont shut down when I reboot so I always have to force shut down when it gets to the black screen, even if I leave it all night it'll sit with a turned on lit up black screen like it's stuck, and if I do an update, and every time I do an update, I have to force shut it off and turn it back on when it gets to "8 minutes remaining" because it sits there indefinitely if I don't.

But other than that it still runs fine. How much will he sell it for?

SuperSah

Banned
Finally opened mine.

Super happy with it. The NES is built very well and the controller feels awesome. The video output is excellent and it's fast as hell :D

Top Bottom