• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

The cycle count seems a bit high. I've had my mbp for almost a year now and I'm at 85 cycles. It varies though on how much you deplete the battery. Your cycle count will be lower if you're plugged into ac most of the time.

I'm at 197 cycles after 1 year, should I be worried?

Circle T

The cycle count seems a bit high. I've had my mbp for almost a year now and I'm at 85 cycles. It varies though on how much you deplete the battery. Your cycle count will be lower if you're plugged into ac most of the time.

After a year and <100 cycles, what is your MBP showing for health? The slightly higher cycle count isn't really the worrying part about my MBA. It is being used pretty frequently all day, so it will have some cycles on it. I'm more concerned with the fact that, with only ~150 cycles on it (well under Apple's suggested 1,000), it is already down 5-7% life.

Why is it whenever I start up my late 08 MBP the screen is cold with a bluish tint and then as it gets closer to booting up the screen switches to a warm yellowish tint?

Is their anyway I can get it to stay cold?

It's loading 'colorsync', probably. In the Display preferences you can pick a different profile, and calibrate the display with your eyeballs to create a new one.

Krelian

After a year and <100 cycles, what is your MBP showing for health? The slightly higher cycle count isn't really the worrying part about my MBA. It is being used pretty frequently all day, so it will have some cycles on it. I'm more concerned with the fact that, with only ~150 cycles on it (well under Apple's suggested 1,000), it is already down 5-7% life.
After almost two years and 96 cycles my battery health is at 94%.

giga

99% life.

rvUbZ.png

Have you tried calibrating it by fully discharging it? You should be doing it once every month.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

how are you guys having such low amount of cycles on your batteries? Do you always have it plugged in? I don't have my laptop plugged in unless it's about to go dead and I'm wireless almost always, and I'm at 197 cycles after just over an year and at 84% capacity

Xun

how are you guys having such low amount of cycles on your batteries? Do you always have it plugged in? I don't have my laptop plugged in unless it's about to go dead and I'm wireless almost always, and I'm at 197 cycles after just over an year and at 84% capacity
Having my old 2006 MacBook plugged in all the time ruined the thing.

The battery completely died in just over 2 years.

The Apple website has this advice on charging.

Apple said:
An ideal use would be a commuter who uses her notebook on the train, then plugs it in at the office to charge.

Assuming a train ride that's not absurd, it might be 45 mins. That's still suggesting the laptop is plugged in for the majority of the time, but just drained a bit every day, say to around 75-85% depending on what tasks you're doing and then topped back up.

Of course that's all assumption based on vague information, but at least it's clear that draining it completely every time isn't ideal.

LCfiner

I think I heard years ago it was bad (for the battery) to keep your laptop plugged in all the time. What's the common wisdom now?

this was/is true. I had an old 2008-ish MBP that I never cycled (owned one year, only cycled 4 or 5 times. this is why i have an iMac now.) battery had to be replaced at the apple store when I sold it as it would shut off power in an hour or so.

I don&#8217;t know if Apple&#8217;s newer batteries are better at this or not.

Circle T

99% life.

http://i.imgur.com/rvUbZ.png

Have you tried calibrating it by fully discharging it? You should be doing it once every month.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

Yea, that is where I was reading all the cycle count info from. I do fully discharge it entirely probably once every couple weeks or so.

I think I heard years ago it was bad (for the battery) to keep your laptop plugged in all the time. What's the common wisdom now?

Well, according to Apple's current documentation, leaving them plugged in all the time is not ideal.....

Apple said:
Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time.

I normally run it down a bit, say to around 50-60%, and then charge it back up. And then, as mentioned above, once every couple weeks or so I will fully discharge it and then fully top it back off. I may just take it over to the Apple Store and see what they say.

Krelian

Mine is plugged in most of the time. It only leaves my desk every couple weeks for a few hours. Maybe I should look into calibrating the battery. I've never done that.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Re: Battery

Just fucking use it. You paid a slight premium so you wouldn't have to think about this shit. It's okay to leave it plugged in. Notice the orange to green light on the power cord? It doesn't always top up so it saves cycles.

Do you think the jump to SSD is worth it, price vs performance?

So right now (using the MBP), safari is running much more nicely, but when I open new apps the same thing occurs; near system freeze, long waits, etc. Is this pretty much the HD or could there be another possible explanation?
So I've been running a SMART reporter, and I've gotten several 'bad IO' warnings today, which apparently are 99.9% the result of bad blocks on the HD. Guess I'm replacing the HD after all. :(

Jasoco

Banned
Re: Battery

Just fucking use it. You paid a slight premium so you wouldn't have to think about this shit. It's okay to leave it plugged in. Notice the orange to green light on the power cord? It doesn't always top up so it saves cycles.
I agree. By the time your battery becomes unusable, you'll have gotten your moneys worth out of it and will most likely be ready to upgrade anyway. Relax and don't stress over it. Cycle once a month and don't worry about health unless it's extremely low for some reason.

Circle T

I agree. By the time your battery becomes unusable, you'll have gotten your moneys worth out of it and will most likely be ready to upgrade anyway. Relax and don't stress over it. Cycle once a month and don't worry about health unless it's extremely low for some reason.

The only reason I'm concerned is, my battery health and cycle counts are progressing at a trajectory that is much faster than Apple says is normal. I just didn't know if this was expected, or if anyone knew of a problem similar to this. I'm worried because things are progressing, unsurprisingly, for the battery to be "dead" just shortly after my warranty expires.

Pachimari

Am I hurting my MacBook Airs battery if I put it on Sleep mode every time I leave it?
I let it dry all out and then fully charge it again once a month.

sk3

Banned
I have never had an Apple battery last more than 18 months. Right now I'm at 184 cycles, status "Service Battery" after about 15 months. I keep it plugged in at work, sleep the rest of the time. Only use it occasionally at home. The battery lasts 15 minutes then kills the machine cold.

Battery technology is so shit.

I have never had an Apple battery last more than 18 months. Right now I'm at 184 cycles, status "Service Battery" after about 15 months. I keep it plugged in at work, sleep the rest of the time. Only use it occasionally at home. The battery lasts 15 minutes then kills the machine cold.

Battery technology is so shit.
I swear my cat killed my old MacBooks battery. She kept rolling on the damn thing making it plu/unplug constantly. Became a paperweight in 12 months and had like 1000 cycles lol.

Pachimari

Is it not a good idea to unplug and plug? Or should I just let the charging cable stay in?
I mean, I am probably charging it twice a day now, kinda frustrating. =/

Pachimari

Oh? Some body else earlier in the thread said it would be best if I did the monthly recalibration.. now I'm confused as to what to do. What's with the newer models, that doesn't requiere this? :)

Oh? Some body else earlier in the thread said it would be best if I did the monthly recalibration.. now I'm confused as to what to do. What's with the newer models, that doesn't requiere this? :)

Yeah, sorry it might have been me that posted that, actually.

But the newer versions with the built-in non-removable batteries do not require calibration:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

Portables with built-in batteries

Current Apple portable computer batteries are pre-calibrated and do not require the calibration procedure outlined in this article. These computers use batteries that should be replaced only by an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

MacBook

MacBook (13-inch, Late 2009) and later

MacBook Air

MacBook Air, all versions

MacBook Pro

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2009) and later
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2009) and later
MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2009) and later

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Is it not a good idea to unplug and plug? Or should I just let the charging cable stay in?
I mean, I am probably charging it twice a day now, kinda frustrating. =/

Red means it's charging. Green means it isn't and the laptop is running off the adapter and not battery. So leave it plugged in.

Seriously, you guys bought Macs so you wouldn't have to think about this nonsense.

Bradach

Hey Lads, I'm considering picking up an iMac 21.5" entry level model. Do you think there'll be a product refresh soon? should i hold off for now?

Cheebo

Banned
Any word on when to expect a MacBook Air refresh? My old MacBook is barely chugging along and I am leaning towards going for the Air but I rather wait for the next upgrade if it's any time soon.

LCfiner

thanks. i'll wait and see for now. is there any big events planned for the near future that they might announce something?

nope, no mac events planned. The would typically only announce an event for a major redesign (the last one was the 2010 macbook air) and give out press invites one week before the announcement.

at this point, we're only expecting an update because of how long the current design has been around and the schedule for Intel's new product line. but no promises :)

bionic77

Any word on when to expect a MacBook Air refresh? My old MacBook is barely chugging along and I am leaning towards going for the Air but I rather wait for the next upgrade if it's any time soon.
Hopefully March or April.

But Ivy is coming soon and I am waiting for it.

I thought about putting in a bit more RAM in my iMac. It has an 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 and 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM. How much could I put in there? And would be RAM from Corsair good?

I found this side: http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-i3-3.06-21-inch-aluminum-mid-2010-specs.html

Where they say:
Standard RAM: 4 GB
Maximum RAM: 16 GB
Details: By default, 4 GB of RAM is installed as two 2 GB SO-DIMM modules. Two slots free.

Are there any 12 GB modules that are installable as two? On Amazon they only sell them as three.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hey yall, don't really know if this is the best thread for the question, but...

I need case/sleeve recommendations for my 13" MBP! I want something slim and durable that will take up minimal space in my backpack. I like the slim form of sleeves, but if there's a more rigid, shell-like case that's about as slim as a sleeve, I'd go with that. Much appreciated!

Yagharek

Red means it's charging. Green means it isn't and the laptop is running off the adapter and not battery. So leave it plugged in.

Seriously, you guys bought Macs so you wouldn't have to think about this nonsense.

Mine wont even charge now. No red or green light. Not happy, and Ive tried all the bullshit "support" that troubleshooting says.

To Macbook Air/Pro Users with SSDs, how much space does your SSD have currently compared to when you first got your laptop? I am interested in the storage decay of SSDs.

Cheebo

Banned
Looking more and more likely that this year the MBP and MBA line are going to merge and the pro will be losing the optical drive and going super-thin:
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/10...ing-macbook-air-form-factor-in-2012-redesign/
http://www.appleinsider.com/article...e_with_radically_redesigned_macbook_pros.html
AppleInsider now weighs in with its own claims essentially mirroring much of what was previously reported, but emphasizing that the shift will likely see a unification of Apple's notebook lines under the MacBook Air design aesthetic, covering the full range of 11-inch to 17-inch sizes by the end of this year.
This will include new, ultra-thin unibody enclosures that jettison yesteryear technologies like optical disk drives and traditional hard drives in favor of models with lightweight chassis that employ flash-memory based solid-state drives, instant-on capabilities, extended battery life, and rely on digital distribution for software and media.

"They're all going to look like MacBook Airs," one person familiar with the new MacBook Pro designs told AppleInsider. Meanwhile, existing MacBook Pro designs are expected to be phased out over the course of the year.

The report suggests that Apple may not shift the entire MacBook Pro line at once, instead beginning with the 15-inch model and then following with the 17-inch model "shortly thereafter". Apple followed a similar pattern with its transition to the present unibody design back in late 2008 and early 2009.

I thought about putting in a bit more RAM in my iMac. It has an 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 and 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM. How much could I put in there? And would be RAM from Corsair good?

I found this side: http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-i3-3.06-21-inch-aluminum-mid-2010-specs.html

Where they say:

Are there any 12 GB modules that are installable as two? On Amazon they only sell them as three.

No. But RAM is so damn cheap, that tossing out the 4gb to make way for 4 4gb SO-DIMMS isn't really out of the question.

Honestly, as long as the ram is the correct spec, I find that it really doesn't matter what manufacturer you buy the ram from. Just DO NOT pay more than $40 per 8gb.

TxdoHawk

Looking more and more likely that this year the MBP and MBA line are going to merge and the pro will be losing the optical drive and going super-thin:
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/10...ing-macbook-air-form-factor-in-2012-redesign/
http://www.appleinsider.com/article...e_with_radically_redesigned_macbook_pros.html

Interesting. If true, I wonder if this will bump the resale value of "traditional" Pros with disc drives? I'm not in a hurry to get rid of my 2010 15", but depending on how it all worked out I wouldn't be opposed to essentially trading "down" to an Ivy Bridge 13", depending on the specs. Super thin chassis makes me think the 13s and 11s will wind up with integrated graphics only again though...:/

Milhouse

Neo Member
I'd imagine that they'll just drop both the 'Air' and 'Pro' names, as 11 to 17 inch MacBooks will likely have the same design.

Cheebo

Banned
I'd imagine that they'll just drop both the 'Air' and 'Pro' names, as 11 to 17 inch MacBooks will likely have the same design.

Yeah seeing how they'll all have the same form factor and design I suspect that when the 2012 revisions hit they'll all just be called MacBooks.

dream

I dunno, I think there's a certain cachet to the Air moniker. If anything, I think they'd just call everything MacBook Airs.

Cheebo

Banned
All with Retina Displays.

Yeah Apple is going to go retina on MacBooks in addition to iPad 3 this year that is for sure all rumors point to that so far.

They are going to blow away the competition in resolution on laptops, I can't believe the companies building Windows PC's really have yet to step up the game in terms of going retina.

Top Bottom