• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Cheebo

Banned
Sounds kinda weird to me. I love the Airs but I know quite a few people who use the extra power of the Pro. I guess we'll see.

Well they wouldn't reduce the power. It'd just be the same slim form factor and no Optical Drive. Apple clearly wants to kill that thing off like they did the floppy.

Well they wouldn't reduce the power. It'd just be the same slim form factor and no Optical Drive. Apple clearly wants to kill that thing off like they did the floppy.

Oh, I kind of assumed a quad-core/dedicated video card wouldn't fit in an "Air-like" chassis. I guess there would be space with a 15" or 17" size. In that case nevermind.

My laptop is going on 5 years old this year, I'm pretty sure I'm going to snag one of these when they come out.

Cheebo

Banned
I imagine the retina display MacBook(s) will be announced alongside the iPad 3.

They have to wait for the ivy bridges from intel and those won't be ready till April. Probably a early summer launch like the air revisions last year since iPhone got moved to fall releases.

I am definitely looking forward to the Ivy Bridge line of Macs and anticipate flash storage across the board. I also heard that they will be adopting the Samsung 830 in the new Airs doubling SSD read/write speeds.

I'm looking forward to seeing the MBP change. I'm not sure how I feel about flash storage only mind you. I've got a 256gb SSD and 750gb HDD in my 2011 MBP and I love that set up.

Either way I'm not in the market for a 2012 MBP and intended to upgrade to whatever the haswell revision was if the MBP still suits my needs. They should have any kinks with the new design worked out by then as well.

For the 2012 release, are Solid State Drives worth the buy? They seem to be expensive and HDD has more space for less price. I haven't experimented with SSD yet, but I'm planning on getting a 13" Macbook Air/Pro, depending if Pro gets SSD as default.

For the 2012 release, are Solid State Drives worth the buy? They seem to be expensive and HDD has more space for less price. I haven't experimented with SSD yet, but I'm planning on getting a 13" Macbook Air/Pro, depending if Pro gets SSD as default.

SSDs are probably my favourite upgrade that I've ever done to a computer. The benefit in terms of application loads and general responsiveness is something you have to use to fully appreciate. Before I bought my first SSD I wasn't expecting much, but afterwards I wished I'd made the jump sooner. I've got a Samsung SSD 830 in my MBP right now and it plays ball nicely. TRIM enabled fine.

I'd assume for 2012 Apple will move to SATA 6GB drives and probably go with the SSD 830 assuming they stick with Samsung. I've found the drive to be excellent so lets hope they do.

Hell nah. the display would need to be 4K resolution for "retina" resolutions. And remember, laptops and desktops are asked to do a helluva lot more with their GPUs than tablets. Multitasking, full apps, etc.
2880x1800 is the rumored resolution for the "retina" display 15-inch MBP.

That's 226 PPI; considering we view our laptop/desktop screens from further away than we view our phone/tablet screens I think a case can be made for it being a "retina" display.

Jasoco

Banned
I'd be happy with a 1680x1050 or a 1080p resolution on my 13" screen and a slider that I can use to adjust the size of on-screen UI elements at fractional amounts to make them the same size to my eyes as they are now. Or even smaller. Just UI elements. Not content like images and webpages obviously.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Well my tax return sucked dick.

I still want to pick up an iPad 3 and redesigned Macbook Pro though. I hope both get announced in March.

JackEtc

123rl

I've been offered a 21.5" iMac for £650 and I'd like to know if it's a good deal. It's the mid-2010 model (Core i3, 4GB RAM, ATI 4670). I'd like one and it seems like a good price to me but what do you think? Any problems with the hardware? I know the guy so I don't have to worry about wear and tear/mis-use. He's offered to wipe and reset it with Snow Leopard so it's a clean install. For the price of Lion I'd be willing to upgrade if necessary

So guys I have a dilemma with horrible customer service.

Sometime last year, my iPhone 4's battery started to drain fast and I went to the Apple Store Square One. The first time I went, they ordered another battery for me. Then when I went, they said they already gave it out and to come back another time. When I came back a third time, they said there was nothing wrong with my phone! So I went to Apple Store Yorkdale and they replaced the battery for me, no hassle.

Well now, I bought a Macbook Air 13" back in August (the new model). I took care of this MacBook religiously. But the cord of the charger near the MagSafe became frayed for some reason, and it completely broke so it won't charge my laptop anymore. I read reports online of chargers getting frayed (even the new ones) and customers got it replaced with no hassle. Well, Apple Store Square One said there was no way that they can replace this and then they blamed it on ME. I remember I put my iPhone 4's USB connecter into a dock on my desk and connected it to my computer and just left it there for months without touching the wire and even that became frayed (there were yellow and brown marks around the fraying on the cord).

What can I do to fix my charger? These bums won't do anything! :(

So guys I have a dilemma with horrible customer service.

Sometime last year, my iPhone 4's battery started to drain fast and I went to the Apple Store Square One. The first time I went, they ordered another battery for me. Then when I went, they said they already gave it out and to come back another time. When I came back a third time, they said there was nothing wrong with my phone! So I went to Apple Store Yorkdale and they replaced the battery for me, no hassle.

Well now, I bought a Macbook Air 13" back in August (the new model). I took care of this MacBook religiously. But the cord of the charger near the MagSafe became frayed for some reason, and it completely broke so it won't charge my laptop anymore. I read reports online of chargers getting frayed (even the new ones) and customers got it replaced with no hassle. Well, Apple Store Square One said there was no way that they can replace this and then they blamed it on ME. I remember I put my iPhone 4's USB connecter into a dock on my desk and connected it to my computer and just left it there for months without touching the wire and even that became frayed (there were yellow and brown marks around the fraying on the cord).

What can I do to fix my charger? These bums won't do anything! :(

There should be many Apple stores nearby. Are there any others close to you?

There should be many Apple stores nearby. Are there any others close to you?

Yeah, I just made an appointment next week for another Apple Store.

But really, why wouldn't they replace it today? It is not my fault. I used it normally. I did not do anything to the charger, it became frayed on its own (the cord is really weak) to the point that it won't charge anymore. What can I do to get it replaced? It IS under warranty too.

Jasoco

Banned
I've been offered a 21.5" iMac for £650 and I'd like to know if it's a good deal. It's the mid-2010 model (Core i3, 4GB RAM, ATI 4670). I'd like one and it seems like a good price to me but what do you think? Any problems with the hardware? I know the guy so I don't have to worry about wear and tear/mis-use. He's offered to wipe and reset it with Snow Leopard so it's a clean install. For the price of Lion I'd be willing to upgrade if necessary
What does a new iMac cost over there? Calculator is telling me that's an equivalent of $850 for the used one and new ones are about $1200 for a Quad Core i5.

123rl

The comparable base model (core i5, ATI 6750) is £999, so about $1500. It is quite a heavy saving over a new model but is it worth buying that model? Aside from the processor bump and better GPU, which I will probably never need for games, is it basically the same machine as a 2011 model?

Jasoco

Banned
I don't really know of any problems with that model, but that's not a bad price if you want to save some cash and don't need the top end. It's just an i3 which is more than enough. What would you use it for? Normal computer stuff? Unless you want the best games, it's perfect. If you can't afford the extra money for a brand new one.

Just remember it's coming used. Is the owner trustworthy enough that you don't believe they'd be hiding anything from you?

But really, why wouldn't they replace it today? It is not my fault. I used it normally. I did not do anything to the charger, it became frayed on its own (the cord is really weak) to the point that it won't charge anymore. What can I do to get it replaced? It IS under warranty too.

Don't let them walk over you, they SHOULD replace that for you. My experience with Apple customer service has been good 9 times out of 10, but sometimes you need to be demanding to get what you want.

123rl

I don't really know of any problems with that model, but that's not a bad price if you want to save some cash and don't need the top end. It's just an i3 which is more than enough. What would you use it for? Normal computer stuff? Unless you want the best games, it's perfect. If you can't afford the extra money for a brand new one.

Just remember it's coming used. Is the owner trustworthy enough that you don't believe they'd be hiding anything from you?

I definitely trust him. I've been good friends with him for about four years. I want it to be my replacement desktop. Internet use, a bit of work (spreadsheets and documents), music, and photo editing. I plan to connect a second monitor to it through displayport>VGA to VGA and run that at 1920x1200. I can't see there being a problem there but I may be wrong.

I currently have a Mac Mini, which I'm either going to move into the bedroom or sell. I'm probably going to keep it as a media device though. It's so easy to share across OSX. I tried it today with a friend's Macbook and my Mini. Within minutes I was wirelessly streaming high bitrate videos from my computer to his, with absolutely zero problem.

You paid premium price for a premium product. Your battery charger should be replaced without question. I had the same problem and I did not have much of a hassle. I even caused a cracked bezel on my Macbook Pro and they still fixed it for free, even though I had to come in twice for that one.

shuri

Banned
I am planning to buy an macbook air within the next 30 days, is it a bad idea? that ivy bridge update sounds interesting but damn I really need a new laptop

SpacLock

I just bought an iMac 21.5 base model since my MacBook Pro died. Figured it was the best bang for the buck.

Was this a bad idea?
Are new models expected soon?

Jasoco

Banned
I just bought an iMac 21.5 base model since my MacBook Pro died. Figured it was the best bang for the buck.

Was this a bad idea?
Are new models expected soon?
Possibly. But if it happens within 14 days you can upgrade. Otherwise enjoy the model you have.

Jasoco

Banned
They can't do anything except update the processor. But is the next generation of Intel processors even ready yet? If not, there'll either be a tiny bump or nothing at all until the updated processors. That's what everyone's waiting for.

Sean

Banned
I made a small bet with Heavy that the DVD drives will be removed from the iMac this year. Other than that, what can they do to it?

Design wise, get rid of the chin.

I've been waiting months for them to update the iMac, hope it's more than just a tiny spec bump.

Tobor

Design wise, get rid of the chin.

I've been waiting months for them to update the iMac, hope it's more than just a tiny spec bump.

I don't think they can get rid of the big chin without adding a fat ass. The ports have to go somewhere.

noah111

Still Alive
Not sure they would even want to get rid of the chin, it's very "iMac" an identifiable, whether you see it in a tv show or in an office. Plus it'd look too much like the Apple Displays, i'd imagine.

Removing the disc drives would be idiotic imo, who gives a shit if you make it a bit thinner, it's a desktop ffs. IMO they should give it another year or even two, before removing the disc slots from iMacs.

Tobor

Not sure they would even want to get rid of the chin, it's very "iMac" an identifiable, whether you see it in a tv show or in an office. Plus it'd look too much like the Apple Displays, i'd imagine.

Removing the disc drives would be idiotic imo, who gives a shit if you make it a bit thinner, it's a desktop ffs. IMO they should give it another year or even two, before removing the disc slots from iMacs.

They got rid of the disc drives in their other consumer desktop last year. It's not like there isn't a precedent.

Agreed. The disc drive will be there for quite some time on the iMacs.

They got rid of the disc drives in their other consumer desktop last year. It's not like there isn't a precedent.

The mini already had one version without a disc drive, they just made it all versions. And it was more of a niche product anyways. I dont want to disc drive to go away on the iMacs anytime soon.

Tobor

Agreed. The disc drive will be there for quite some time on the iMacs.

The mini already had one version without a disc drive, they just made it all versions. And it was more of a niche product anyways. I dont want to disc drive to go away on the iMacs anytime soon.

All desktop Macs are a niche product at Apple these days, I don't see what that has to do with it.

Sean

Banned
I don't think they can get rid of the big chin without adding a fat ass. The ports have to go somewhere.

Who cares if they made it an inch or two thicker, it's not like you'll be carrying around an iMac or sticking it in your pocket. I'd bet that most people never see the sides/back of an iMac, but you'll always be looking at the front and thus it makes sense to eliminate the chin.

Though I don't really care either way as the chin doesn't really bother me. But that's about the only change I can see them making to the form factor.

Blackhead

Redarse
They can't do anything except update the processor. But is the next generation of Intel processors even ready yet? If not, there'll either be a tiny bump or nothing at all until the updated processors. That's what everyone's waiting for.

Airplay? More ports (HDMI input please)?

Cheebo

Banned

Pretty sizable. Based on the rumors going around what to expect is:

-Updates after Intel's Ivy Bridge hits (which is released in April)
-MacBook Pro's and the MacBook Air lines merging into a super thin disk drive-less laptop line
-Big boost in resolution display across the board
-The Mac Pro desktop being killed off

There is a decent chance that the iMac will lose the disk drive too. Apple really wants to get rid of that technology like they did to the floppy.

noah111

Still Alive
Pretty sizable. Based on the rumors going around what to expect is:

-Updates after Intel's Ivy Bridge hits (which is released in April)
-MacBook Pro's and the MacBook Air lines merging into a super thin disk drive-less laptop line
-Big boost in resolution display across the board
-The Mac Pro desktop being killed off

There is a decent chance that the iMac will lose the disk drive too. Apple really wants to get rid of that technology like they did to the floppy.
The MacBook line is interesting, what will the name become? After all, when all MBs are 'Pro' none are, right?

Kinda just wish they would revert back to "MacBook" and drop all the extensions. Depends on how similar the new lineup of 15"-17" will be to the current Airs.

If they really drop the disc drive in the iMacs, I would hope they'd include an optional disc drive (internal or external) when ordering from their site.

And just how good of a chance is there that the new MacBooks will be packing "retina" displays? Or will that be the NEXT iteration?

Top Bottom