• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

I made a small bet with Heavy that the DVD drives will be removed from the iMac this year. Other than that, what can they do to it?

There are patents showing an iMac with a special coiled, spring-like base, that lets the screen rotate into a horizontal position to be used as a touch interface. The patent describes software & hardware that automatically knows which orientation the iMac is in, so it can switch between normal and touch inputs on the fly just by moving the screen down.

Eventually the iMac will become something like a giant iPad on a stand. Lion already has so many iOS features, I think 10.8 is going to be a true hybrid of iOS and Mac OS.

noah111

Still Alive
There are patents showing an iMac with a special coiled, spring-like base, that lets the screen rotate into a horizontal position to be used as a touch interface. The patent describes software & hardware that automatically knows which orientation the iMac is in, so it can switch between normal and touch inputs on the fly just by moving the screen down.

Eventually the iMac will become something like a giant iPad on a stand. Lion already has so many iOS features, I think 10.8 is going to be a true hybrid of iOS and Mac OS.
I'm not sure if we'll see a full honest hybrid that soon, but it's bound to happen eventually, one way or another.

Blackhead

Redarse
The MacBook line is interesting, what will the name become? After all, when all MBs are 'Pro' none are, right?

Kinda just wish they would revert back to "MacBook" and drop all the extensions. Depends on how similar the new lineup of 15"-17" will be to the current Airs.

And just how good of a chance is there that the new MacBooks will be packing "retina" displays? Or will that be the NEXT iteration?
I just don't want Apple to gimp the MacBook Pros too much. By all means ditch the disc drive and make it thinner but
  • keep the battery life the same or increase it (the MBAs have the shortest battery life, even the white MacBook had longer battery life than the comparable MBA)
  • keep the 'breathing light'
  • keep the quick battery look up button
  • user replaceable RAM and Harddrive/SSD

I like the flexibility of the MBP 13 and the only reason I choose the MBA over it is because of the shitty 1280x800 screen. Which brings up another question with the rumored retina displays; if Apple merges the Pro and Air lines, which resolution are they going to double: the 1440x900 on the 13"Air or the 1280x800 on the MBP... I'd be very surprised if Apple doesn't initially make the retina screens as a (very) expensive BTO option on which ever models they are introduced on.

:| There are Apple patents showing an iPad with a stylus. I wager that'll arrive first before a touchscreen iMac.

:| There are Apple patents showing an iPad with a stylus. I wager that'll arrive first before a touchscreen iMac.

Major difference being Steve hated the idea of using a stylus, the iMac Touch would use your fingers.

Also, Apple would not be the first to market with a hybrid all-in-one, as there's at least one other desktop that does the same thing that I read about from CES. As Sentry said I was probably too hopeful in thinking 10.8 would be the full hybrid, but I see a touch-enabled iMac happening long before any Apple device ever gets a stylus.

(Which is a fucking shame, because if they ever do release an iMac Touch and I can't use a stylus on its 17-to-24-inch touch screen display for Photoshop I'm going to throw a fucking shit fit)

Edit: Found it, it's a Lenovo computer:
lenovo_ideacentre_a720.jpg

And here's the Apple patent.

132133-touch_transition.jpg

Anyway, the main point was, it was asked where else they could go with the iMac besides making it slimmer by taking out the DVD drive or giving it new outputs. This is the answer. iMac Touch is where they could go with it. How long it takes to get there, though, is anyone's guess. (I personally hope/want/think it will be the next actual hardware redesign, especially since other companies are beating them to the punch on their own idea)

Blackhead

Redarse
Major difference being Steve hated the idea of using a stylus, the iMac Touch would use your fingers.

Also, Apple would not be the first to market with a hybrid all-in-one, as there's at least one other desktop that does the same thing that I read about from CES. As Sentry said I was probably too hopeful in thinking 10.8 would be the full hybrid, but I see a touch-enabled iMac happening long before any Apple device ever gets a stylus.

(Which is a fucking shame, because if they ever do release an iMac Touch and I can't use a stylus on its 17-to-24-inch touch screen display for Photoshop I'm going to throw a fucking shit fit)
Steve hated the idea of touchscreen Macs too. He said trackpads are the way to go.

Steve hated the idea of touchscreen Macs too. He said trackpads are the way to go.

I'm pretty sure he was referring to having to hold your arm up to use a touch screen that stays upright, as all current screens do. I agree with him, that would suck. I hate using Cintiqs in the upright position, it's uncomfortable as hell. That's why this patent shows a screen that swivels flat. As someone who uses a tablet PC propped horizontally on a little stand every day, that is much, much more ideal and comfortable then just an iMac with a touch screen. The whole point of it is that swivel hinge.

*quietly chants "bring back the G4 iMac design" to himself*

noah111

Still Alive
Seriously? No. When they get the desktop touchscreen implementation right, it will be the PC revolution Apple has been hoping for.

He's a bullshitter, he says that for anything not ready. He said something similar about touch controls on iPhone versus tablet. He does that a lot, it doesn't mean a damn thing about future projects, though.

They used the excuse of your arm getting tired holding it up to the screen, as if people are stupid enough to believe that they gave up because they couldn't get around that obstacle.

As Word showed, an easy solution is the swivel mechanism. There is no denying people love touch, and are used to it across many devices. The next natural step is multitouch enabled OS X interface.

All it takes is the proper implementation, that's it. It could be quite incredible if they nail it.

Blackhead

Redarse
Seriously? No. When they get the desktop touchscreen implementation right, it will be the PC revolution Apple has been hoping for.

?! We're in the "post-pc era", remember? I doubt Apple is hoping for a PC revolution...

I'm pretty sure he was referring to having to hold your arm up to use a touch screen that stays upright, as all current screens do. I agree with him, that would suck. I hate using Cintiqs in the upright position, it's uncomfortable as hell. That's why this patent shows a screen that swivels flat. As someone who uses a tablet PC propped horizontally on a little stand every day, that is much, much more ideal and comfortable then just an iMac with a touch screen. The whole point of it is that swivel hinge.

*quietly chants "bring back the G4 iMac design" to himself*

He's a bullshitter, he says that for anything not ready. He said something similar about touch controls on iPhone versus tablet. He does that a lot, it doesn't mean a damn thing about future projects, though.

They used the excuse of your arm getting tired holding it up to the screen, as if people are stupid enough to believe that they gave up because they couldn't get around that obstacle.

As Word showed, an easy solution is the swivel mechanism. There is no denying people love touch, and are used to it across many devices. The next natural step is multitouch enabled OS X interface.

All it takes is the proper implementation, that's it. It could be quite incredible if they nail it.
I think you're barking up the wrong tree. It's much more likely that Apple will introduce iOS 'tablets' with bigger screens than they'll offer an iMac with touchscreen controls.

noah111

Still Alive
?! We're in the "post-pc era", remember? I doubt Apple is hoping for a PC revolution...

I think you're barking up the wrong tree. It's much more likely that Apple will introduce iOS 'tablets' with bigger screens than they'll offer an iMac with touchscreen controls.
I still thing they will try to revolutionize the desktop computer market, to think they would introduce an iPad with a larger screen is crazy.

The point isn't screen size here, it's capability, functionality, etc. Introducing touch to the multitasking 'hardcore' interface of OS X, several years down the line, is logical imo.

Eeeeehhhh, I dunno. I think it's really very obvious what direction Mac OS X is going, and with iOS and the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch and the Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad, Apple is clearly getting people used to the idea of touch-screen devices.

Steve had said many times that he didn't want there to have to be anything between the user and the software - no mouse, no keyboard, no stylus. He just wanted you to use your fingers to touch the screen, the most natural interface of all.

OS X 10.7 has tons and tons of design cues from iOS. They've made a multi-touch track pad just for their desktops now so you can use multitouch gestures with OS X. Hackers found code referring to an iOS version of Expose. It's pretty clear that the two computer types - the desktop and the tablet - are going to merge in the future. In my opinion it'll be the very near future, too.

I do like your idea of a large iPad with a stand, though. If they did something that was essentially a Cinema Display that you could take off the stand and carry around with you, bringing the desktop, laptop and tablet into one device, that'd be pretty incredible. It'd be a Cintiq but with an actual computer in it, not just the screen. I think that's a little further off than the iMac Touch though. It'd have to be very thin and light, but powerful, and I'm not up to speed on current tech by any means but I don't think they'd be able to do something like that any time soon.

Thinking about it though, that's a very niche product that would likely only appeal to artists. I think it's much, much more likely for Apple to continue fusing OS X and iOS into one OS, and dropping it into an iMac with a new hinge and touch screen, then it would be to sell people on an iPad with a 15-inch screen, let alone some kind of artist's dream device of a 20-plus-inch touch screen canvas that can be put on a easel on their desk.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
This one's weird. My 2008 Macbook started acting up today. Between five and ten minutes after booting up the hard-drive starts clicking and everything hangs until I'm forced to restart. Sounds like your standard drive death, except that it works fine in Windows. This only occurs when I'm in OS X. Disk Utility repairs didn't do anything either.

I've got an appointment at the Apple Store tomorrow, but I figured I'd throw it out here as well.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
All desktop Macs are a niche product at Apple these days, I don't see what that has to do with it.

Desktops, period, are a niche product. There's no company that makes desktops that doesn't also make laptops, and there's no company that sells more desktops than they do laptops :p It just so happens that with Apple desktops are a niche of a niche!

Cheebo

Banned
Yeah the Mac is not the focus of Apple anymore nor will it ever be. Apple isn't going for some kind of revolution on Mac's. iPad was the PC revolution Apple was looking. Steve Jobs and now Tim Cook preach the future of the tablet as the primary home computer and the centerpiece of Apple's computer stategy. iOS will fully replace OSX one day.

hobart

Hey guys I need some help on something very specific.

I use my MBP 15 as my primary computer... which also serves as my main gaming computer as well. I have a need for a gaming headset (cans plus mic) that DOES NOT require the use of a USB port. I did some preliminary research on this to see if there were sets that worked with the audio/line-in jack... didn't find much. As a matter of fact... saw a lot of problems with trying to make it work.

Any help? Is USB my only real option?

Hey guys I need some help on something very specific.

I use my MBP 15 as my primary computer... which also serves as my main gaming computer as well. I have a need for a gaming headset (cans plus mic) that DOES NOT require the use of a USB port. I did some preliminary research on this to see if there were sets that worked with the audio/line-in jack... didn't find much. As a matter of fact... saw a lot of problems with trying to make it work.

Any help? Is USB my only real option?

Looking at my desk, I seem to have an "Ozone" brand headset that just uses light green and red colored plugs. No USB required. So probably shouldn't be a big headache finding something that doesn't need USB

whitehawk

Banned
I have a couple questions. I have a copy of Windows 7 premium upgrade.

1. Can I use an upgrade disk to install windows 7 on a mac for bootcamp?
2. If I already installed Windows 7 on a different computer with the product key, can i use the key again?

Sye d'Burns

I have a couple questions. I have a copy of Windows 7 premium upgrade.

1. Can I use an upgrade disk to install windows 7 on a mac for bootcamp?
2. If I already installed Windows 7 on a different computer with the product key, can i use the key again?

1. I did this, due to the inability to upgrade from XP. If I recall correctly, I installed the upgrade and did not enter in the serial number. I then reinstalled and this time I put in my upgrade key.

2. You'll probably have to call Microsoft and get the key released from the other machine. It's a hassle if the automated voice doesn't correctly understand you.

whitehawk

Banned
Naw I'm still using the other computer, so I don't want to do that.

What features do they take away if you don't enter the serial number after 30 days? All I want to use windows for is Steam for games.

JonCha

Checking out RAM on Crucial, expected it to be mega expensive, did a scan ... 8GB for £35.99. Thank you very much -- I'll be ordering that tomorrow!

And I know this a bit of a noob question, but do SSDs replace your HD or work in conjunction with it?

Checking out RAM on Crucial, expected it to be mega expensive, did a scan ... 8GB for £35.99. Thank you very much -- I'll be ordering that tomorrow!

And I know this a bit of a noob question, but do SSDs replace your HD or work in conjunction with it?

You can have an SSD installed at the same time as an HDD but they are separate entities. You can use them as a boot or storage drive just like an HDD. They're most commonly used as boot drives though.

I have both an SSD and HDD in my MBP. OSX is installed on the SSD.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Did a search and didn't see this question explicitly asked in this thread. Is the Airport Extreme router really worth $170-180? My wife and I both have MacBooks and iPhones. I will have my PS3 and 360 hardwired into the router, but I do a lot of wireless streaming of video files from my MBP to my PS3.

Right now I have a Linksys WRTG54L that is about 5 yrs old and is a piece of shit. It's fine when it works, but I have to power cycle it 2-3 times a day because it keeps dropping the internet connection. I really like the feature list of the Airport Extreme, but that price is hard to stomach. My primary concerns are speed and reliability.

sk3

Banned
I finally decided I would go for the 27" iMac, and I find out you can't upgrade the hard drive because Apple started giving them proprietary temperature sensors last year. And there's no way I'm paying $500 to Apple for a 256gb SSD.

Way to go, that's 2 grand they won't get from me.

Did a search and didn't see this question explicitly asked in this thread. Is the Airport Extreme router really worth $170-180? My wife and I both have MacBooks and iPhones. I will have my PS3 and 360 hardwired into the router, but I do a lot of wireless streaming of video files from my MBP to my PS3.

Right now I have a Linksys WRTG54L that is about 5 yrs old and is a piece of shit. It's fine when it works, but I have to power cycle it 2-3 times a day because it keeps dropping the internet connection. I really like the feature list of the Airport Extreme, but that price is hard to stomach. My primary concerns are speed and reliability.
It's the best router I've ever used in terms of reliability and ease of use. Range sucks though. That should be obvious with its size and shape. I wouldn't get it if you plan on stream a lot from a drive attached to the router, its one of the slowest in that regard.

snacknuts

we all knew her
It's the best router I've ever used in terms of reliability and ease of use. Range sucks though. That should be obvious with its size and shape. I wouldn't get it if you plan on stream a lot from a drive attached to the router, its one of the slowest in that regard.

I have a video file on my MBP --> wireless to router --> wired to PS3. With the wireless N support on the router and my MBP, I would imagine that would be faster than with my current setup.

Thanks for the input, I sincerely appreciate it.

Right now the main difference between the Pros and Airs is that the Pros are quad core CPU with discrete graphics and have more ports and the airs are dual core CPU, integrated graphics and thinner/lighter. I would assume that they will keep some Macbook models with quad core CPU and discrete graphics. If so then they would probably make the "pro" model thicker than the current airs.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime

That same ram is cheaper on Amazon and with free shipping! I'll be upgrading next week.

purg3

slept with Malkin
I'll just ask this here, picked up my first Mac today (13" MBA). With never owning a mac before, what are some good apps/programs to get for this? Also anyone have any good case or laptop bag recommendations? My current laptop bag was for a 15"+ laptop, so this thing swims around in there. Sorry if this is off topic.

shira

I'll just ask this here, picked up my first Mac today (13" MBA). With never owning a mac before, what are some good apps/programs to get for this? Also anyone have any good case or laptop bag recommendations? My current laptop bag was for a 15"+ laptop, so this thing swims around in there. Sorry if this is off topic.

I use a manilla envelope

RBH

I'm unsure about laptop bags, but if you ever consider getting a sleeve, I'd recommend this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Incase+...29848185&skuId=8740142&st=incase 13&cp=1&lp=1

RBH

A settlement has been reached in a class-action lawsuit targeting the antenna performance of Apple's iPhone 4.

As part of a preliminary approval made this afternoon, U.S. residents who bought Apple's iPhone 4 will be entitled to $15 in cash or a bumper case provided by Apple.

The settlement comes from 18 separate lawsuits that were consolidated into one. All share the claim that Apple was "misrepresenting and concealing material information in the marketing, advertising, sale and servicing of its iPhone 4--particularly as it relates to the quality of the mobile phone antenna and reception and related software."

The settlement has its own Web site, www.iPhone4Settlement.com, which will be up in the coming weeks (the site doesn't go anywhere right now). There, customers will be able to get information about the settlement and how to make a claim. As part of the arrangement, e-mails will also be sent alerting original buyers to the settlement before April 30, 2012. The claims period is then open for 120 days.

"We believe that the Apple iPhone 4 settlement is fair, adequate, and reasonable," Ira Rothken, co-lead counsel representing the class, told CNET. "We believe that it allows members of the class to choose, and they can get $15 of cash or a bumper, so we believe that type of choice is proportional to the circumstances."

Apple did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-57380685-248/settlement-reached-in-iphone-4-antennagate-suit/

I picked this one up from amazon when i got my MBA last month. Gets the job done nicely. No zippers and I haven't noticed any signs of excessive stretching from use so far.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LWN3R0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

MercuryLS

Banned
Can someone explain to me why every once in a while Safari reloads all tabs? Shit is annoying and only started happening after I updated to Lion.

Jasoco

Banned
Can someone explain to me why every once in a while Safari reloads all tabs? Shit is annoying and only started happening after I updated to Lion.
How much RAM do you have? It works the exact same way it does on iOS. It clears tab memory when it needs to free some up so when you come back it will have to reload them.

Jasoco

Banned
Weird. I have 4GB too, but it's an Air. I wonder what exactly triggers it to do that. I don't use Safari much though. But was thinking of trying it out more when I get ML. I end up going over 4GB all the time with my swap sometimes going up to 6GB.

So guys I have a dilemma with horrible customer service.

Sometime last year, my iPhone 4's battery started to drain fast and I went to the Apple Store Square One. The first time I went, they ordered another battery for me. Then when I went, they said they already gave it out and to come back another time. When I came back a third time, they said there was nothing wrong with my phone! So I went to Apple Store Yorkdale and they replaced the battery for me, no hassle.

Well now, I bought a Macbook Air 13" back in August (the new model). I took care of this MacBook religiously. But the cord of the charger near the MagSafe became frayed for some reason, and it completely broke so it won't charge my laptop anymore. I read reports online of chargers getting frayed (even the new ones) and customers got it replaced with no hassle. Well, Apple Store Square One said there was no way that they can replace this and then they blamed it on ME. I remember I put my iPhone 4's USB connecter into a dock on my desk and connected it to my computer and just left it there for months without touching the wire and even that became frayed (there were yellow and brown marks around the fraying on the cord).

What can I do to fix my charger? These bums won't do anything! :(

So today is my appointment at another store, and I don't have a clue as to what I should say. I'm dead broke and I need my laptop to work badly for school. Can someone give me any tips?

So today is my appointment at another store, and I don't have a clue as to what I should say. I'm dead broke and I need my laptop to work badly for school. Can someone give me any tips?

I personally would say the cable has snapped, do not say it has worn down through general use as then yeah they will blame you.

Ask an employee first, stick to your guns the whole way, if you get nowhere ask to speak to a manager about it and kick up a fuss, the manager will be more likely to replace the cable so just stick at it.

123rl

That's the same RAM that I recently bought. So easy to install, arrived in 2 days, and it has made a huge difference.

Sapiens

You must be approaching the people behind the desk wrong.

It's an art, getting what you want out of these services.

Don't act entitled.

Quick

Banned
I'm thinking about upgrading to the latest Macbook Pro, so what's a good price for me to sell my current MBP? Mine is the mid-2009 13" model, with 8GB of RAM.

Chris R

I'm thinking about upgrading to the latest Macbook Pro, so what's a good price for me to sell my current MBP? Mine is the mid-2009 13" model, with 8GB of RAM.

I'd wait if you can for the Ivy Bridge stuff. Should only be another couple of months.

Top Bottom