• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

mug

A friend of mine gave me her broken iPhone 4 16GB. The phone has water damage and powers up but shows a consistent temp warning. While the outside looks perfectly fine I'm sure the logic board is toast - any way to get this fixed by Apple? If I have to pay a repair fee it's not a problem, just wondering how much.

mrkgoo

A friend of mine gave me her broken iPhone 4 16GB. The phone has water damage and powers up but shows a consistent temp warning. While the outside looks perfectly fine I'm sure the logic board is toast - any way to get this fixed by Apple? If I have to pay a repair fee it's not a problem, just wondering how much.

You could try asking Apple, I'm sure they have a better idea.

Also, try in the various iPhone threads.

Sanjuro

You would have to pay a flat rate. I don't deal with the phones, but the rate for that model seems to remain around the $200 ballpark if they decide to take it.

FStop7

Banned
My Macbook Air sometimes starts to heat up to the point where the fan is fully cranked for absolutely no reason. I check iStat and the CPU is 0% utilized. Memory utilization is minimal. And yet the machine is very warm to the touch and the fan is blasting away. I usually have to power it off and on to fix it.

TmrOPl.jpg

Found this at the Flea Market yesterday...almost tempted to buy it

noah111

Still Alive
TmrOPl.jpg

Found this at the Flea Market yesterday...almost tempted to buy it
Beautiful, I still remember being amazed when I was younger seeing these things around my older siblings. Some to think of it though, that screen really looks like an iPad. :lol

[fakeedit] hah;

4701346672_d7a0e18f46_b.jpg

How many of you take advantage of the Educational Store discounts by asking student friends and relatives? I'm surprised it isn't brought up on GAF (seeking a member here who is a student) in the midst of discussing new purchases from Apple. I was lucky enough to have paid less than half price for my MBP

Recon

Banned
How many of you take advantage of the Educational Store discounts? With such an active Apple community, I'm surprised more people don't look for student GAF to help them out. A single PM could potentially save you hundreds.

I bet most do, you dont exactly need to be enrolled to take advantage of it.

I bet most do, you dont exactly need to be enrolled to take advantage of it.

Yeah I know about the URL loophole but don't you need some sort of Student ID for verification or do Apple just redirect you to the store via the original URL? By the way, Apple Online and Apple retail differ in some policies e.g. warranty. The retail stores seemingly offer better terms in that regard.

Recon

Banned
Yeah I know about the URL loophole but don't you need some sort of Student ID for verification or do Apple just redirect you to the store via the original URL? By the way, Apple Online and Apple retail differ in some policies e.g. warranty. The retail stores seemingly offer better terms in that regard.

When my mom ordered her macbook from the education store, there was no need for any student ID.

When my mom ordered her macbook from the education store, there was no need for any student ID.

Lol neither did they with me. I really like the loose rules the high street stores have and the people working there are always great to talk to. I can't carry heavy stuff on my back but I needed to carry the laptop in my backpack. The Air wasn't an option at that point, so they got a brand new boxed MBP from their stockroom and allowed me to put it in my backpack and walk around with it in the store unattended, just to determine whether or not it was comfortable.

hi mac gaf,

sorry to just but into your discussions but i could really do with some help from a charitable sort to help me with my macintosh issues

basically i installed windows with bootcamp everything went swimmingly, was really simple or at least i thought so, booted up steam and all my games either don't launch or run at around 12frames a second

turns out windows just doesn't recognise the fact i've got a graphics card so making everything run like garbage,

basically i ran all the os drivers and purposefully download some for my graphics card still to no avail.

its really bugging me and making me feel like a dumbass because im usually quite technically savvy but this is really starting to aggrevate me

would really appreciate some help,
sure you will need more details but don't wanna clog up this thread,

drop me a pm if wanna help, would really appreciate it :D

thanks in advance

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm currently trying to field all my upgrade options for getting a new computer.

I think I would like some input or advice.
I have a Macbook Pro A1211. Its a 2.33ghz C2D with 2 gigs of ram and a 256mb x1600.

I also have a 5400rpm laptop drive in it. :\

I've been considering making the following upgrades;
4 gigs of ram
a 60gig SSD as my primary drive
And a 750gig hybrid drive in place of the optical drive which would require this adaptor.

So I have some other questions.
I think this upgraded computer will live out the rest of its days plugged into a television or projector and act as more of a media server. Is the hardware powerful enough for this? I've been looking at external BluRay drives and ripping BRDs seems to be pretty damn simple with MakeMKV and Handbrake, but is my computer powerful enough to do that. I mean, I'm not expecting to convert a bluray in 25 minutes, but its not going to be so slow that its just not worth it, right?

Another question is about eSATA. I have firewire800 and an external Terabyte drive that has firewire800 as well as eSATA. Should I get an expresscard eSATA slot for my computer too? Or will that not really provide a noticeable difference?

Jasoco

Banned
So I'm currently trying to field all my upgrade options for getting a new computer.

I think I would like some input or advice.
I have a Macbook Pro A1211. Its a 2.33ghz C2D with 2 gigs of ram and a 256mb x1600.

I also have a 5400rpm laptop drive in it. :\

I've been considering making the following upgrades;
4 gigs of ram
a 60gig SSD as my primary drive
And a 750gig hybrid drive in place of the optical drive which would require this adaptor.

So I have some other questions.
I think this upgraded computer will live out the rest of its days plugged into a television or projector and act as more of a media server. Is the hardware powerful enough for this? I've been looking at external BluRay drives and ripping BRDs seems to be pretty damn simple with MakeMKV and Handbrake, but is my computer powerful enough to do that. I mean, I'm not expecting to convert a bluray in 25 minutes, but its not going to be so slow that its just not worth it, right?

Another question is about eSATA. I have firewire800 and an external Terabyte drive that has firewire800 as well as eSATA. Should I get an expresscard eSATA slot for my computer too? Or will that not really provide a noticeable difference?
Is 4GB the maximum RAM limit of the model? If not, get 8GB. It will make a HUGE difference. As will the SSD.

Anyway, you could probably get a better deal if you save the money, sell the MBP and buy a Mac mini to use as your server. It might work out much better in the end. The MBP may bring in a few hundred itself.

Spilled water on my macbook pro's screen and now I can see the water under it :(

Anyone ever have something similar happen to them? How long is this gonna take to dry up?

Redford

aka Cabbie
I have one of those little beads that come in a pouch with new bags/shoes etc. stuck in my Air's headphone jack, can you get it removed at a dealer? Any risk of it melting in the meantime?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Is 4GB the maximum RAM limit of the model? If not, get 8GB. It will make a HUGE difference. As will the SSD.

Anyway, you could probably get a better deal if you save the money, sell the MBP and buy a Mac mini to use as your server. It might work out much better in the end. The MBP may bring in a few hundred itself.

Yeah, 4gig is the max. The thing about getting a Mac Mini is that if I'm going to get a new computer I'm going to get a Windows based PC for gaming. I can only stand having so much hardware around. Though now that I think about it, all those upgrades are probably more than the computer itself is really worth so maybe thats not the smartest idea.

Hmmph. Luckily I'm in no hurry.

mrkgoo

Yeah, 4gig is the max. The thing about getting a Mac Mini is that if I'm going to get a new computer I'm going to get a Windows based PC for gaming. I can only stand having so much hardware around. Though now that I think about it, all those upgrades are probably more than the computer itself is really worth so maybe thats not the smartest idea.

Hmmph. Luckily I'm in no hurry.

Check your max is not 6gb.

I'm running an early 2008 non unibody MBP 2.4 GHz on 6gb ram.

I am in the process of selling my MacBook Pro 15" (early 2011 model) through craigslist and seem to be getting a lot of interest, but it doesn't feel legitimate most of these inquiries. They are all ok with the price (even I'll admit its on the high side), can only do paypal, and are were willing to pay $100 or more for shipping. They don't ask any questions one would expect to ask given the fact its a $1500 item. Sounds fishy right?

I've told them all I only plan on selling locally and cash. I think I might end up using Amazon or eBay for this one.

I am in the process of selling my MacBook Pro 15" (early 2011 model) through craigslist and seem to be getting a lot of interest, but it doesn't feel legitimate most of these inquiries. They are all ok with the price (even I'll admit its on the high side), can only do paypal, and are were willing to pay $100 or more for shipping. They don't ask any questions one would expect to ask given the fact its a $1500 item. Sounds fishy right?

I've told them all I only plan on selling locally and cash. I think I might end up using Amazon or eBay for this one.

lol, yeah, those are all BS.

123rl

I know it's old news but I bought the Trackpad today to replace my Magic Mouse. It's just so much nicer to use. After using a Macbook for a couple of weeks I just realised the Trackpad is so smooth and natural to use.

Speaking of trackpads, how is it that Apple are the only manufacturers that actually know how to make a trackpad worth a damn? Seriously the stand alone trackpad and the ones found on the macbook line are so freaking pleasurable to use.

Jasoco

Banned
Research and Development. Apple has been making smooth UI for years. The iOS and Magic Trackpad show exactly how to do it and do it well.

Chris R

Speaking of trackpads, how is it that Apple are the only manufacturers that actually know how to make a trackpad worth a damn? Seriously the stand alone trackpad and the ones found on the macbook line are so freaking pleasurable to use.

They are good trackpads, but I've actually been having issues with mine, where for some reason it will convert single finger clicks into two finger clicks and moving a single finger around will be treated as moving two fingers around. Sucks when it happens, which isn't too frequently (makes me bring a mouse around if I want to game though, because having the trackpad get wonky on me in the middle of a game sucks).

So I can buy a 2008 Macbook Pro 13 from a girl I work with, she hates it for some reason. Probably because she still has OS X Leopard on it still...

Anyways it has a 2.0ghz Core 2 Duo and 2gb RAM, I offered $400 and she seemed astounded I would offer so much, I'm guessing I could haggle her down to $250-300 quite easily. Anyways I've never owned a Mac before and I think it'd do quite well to replace my Asus netbook that is unpleasant to use in every way. I already have a beast desktop so having this as a mobile computer seems like a steal. Especially if I upgrade the ram, install OS lion, and maybe an SSD.

Worth picking up? None the less I'm sure it'll sell for 2-3x the price I paid if I wanted to right? Also if I ended up having to pay $400 is it still worth it?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Check your max is not 6gb.

I'm running an early 2008 non unibody MBP 2.4 GHz on 6gb ram.

I'd actually assume my max would be as much as I can get out of two DIMMs, but now that you mention it I think you're right about 6 gigs being the max.

Dazzla

So I can buy a 2008 Macbook Pro 13 from a girl I work with, she hates it for some reason. Probably because she still has OS X Leopard on it still...

Anyways it has a 2.0ghz Core 2 Duo and 2gb RAM, I offered $400 and she seemed astounded I would offer so much, I'm guessing I could haggle her down to $250-300 quite easily. Anyways I've never owned a Mac before and I think it'd do quite well to replace my Asus netbook that is unpleasant to use in every way. I already have a beast desktop so having this as a mobile computer seems like a steal. Especially if I upgrade the ram, install OS lion, and maybe an SSD.

Worth picking up? None the less I'm sure it'll sell for 2-3x the price I paid if I wanted to right? Also if I ended up having to pay $400 is it still worth it?

If you bought that for $400 you wouldn't get anywhere near $800-1200 for it.

For $400 it's a good deal, but don't expect to flip it for a load more.

If you bought that for $400 you wouldn't get anywhere near $800-1200 for it.

For $400 it's a good deal, but don't expect to flip it for a load more.

I was thinking the profit from selling it if I got it for ~250. Anywho I'd love a nice laptop and the one thing that keeps me from the Macs are the price, so I think this is perfect, thanks.

Anyone else getting the upgraded apple tv next week? My patience has paid off for waiting for this, almost bought the older version a few times

Talon

It's because they're the long manufacturer that controls the software and the hardware from ground up.

There was an interesting article on The Verge a few months ago where they were talking to Synaptics about the fact that it's difficult for their software to work with all these different form factors when it came to touchpads. Basically, the layers involved - the hardware and the software (you'd think it was firmware, but apparently not) - are not in sync.

123rl

I absolutely love the Apple Trackpad and the laptop variant. It is so damn slick and smooth. I didn't think a Trackpad could work so well until I tried it for myself

Anyone else getting the upgraded apple tv next week? My patience has paid off for waiting for this, almost bought the older version a few times

I am. I have the current one but that can go in my bedroom and the new one is taking centre stage under my TV. I love the Apple TV. It's an amazing little machine. I use it mainly for Airplay music from Spotify but I just signed up for Netflix so it will be used for that too from now on

esquire

Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
I am going to sell my MacBook Pro and MacBook Air and buy an iMac. Haven't ever owned a desktop but I'm starting to feel that devices like iPad can do enough of the tasks of a laptop that I don't really need a laptop for it's portability and would rather have a desktop with a huge HDD and faster processor to store, backup and edit all my media (videos, music, photos, books, etc). iPad also has a data connection which I feel a lot better about paying for than paying for Wi-Fi in a hotel room or airport.

This makes sense in my head, but has anyone else made a similar move only to end up regretting it later on?

And I'm definitely opting for the magic trackpad over the mouse.

Chris R

So now that the new iPad has been announced, what's next? When are the 2012 MBPs released?

I expect a refresh of the entire computer line sometime this summer. Merge the Macbook lines (actually goes well with dropping the number off the iPad), fresh Ivy Bridge processors in the iMac and Mini and the new Xeons in the Pros.

noah111

Still Alive
I expect a refresh of the entire computer line sometime this summer. Merge the Macbook lines (actually goes well with dropping the number off the iPad), fresh Ivy Bridge processors in the iMac and Mini and the new Xeons in the Pros.
Yeah, this is going to be an awesome year, especially when the new iPhone "5" hits in the fall as well.

And I definitely hope they just merge the entire MBP/A lines into "MacBook". Just much simpler and sleeker. I kinda doubt they will, since 11", 13", 15", and 17" is a lot of models to fit under one tag, but I hope..

Magni

You would still be able to buy the 2011 MBPs (like you can still buy the iPad 2), right? Planning to buy a 13" laptop (my first Mac) around August but I'm not sure yet what exactly I want. Between the current Air and Pro I was leaning more towards the Pro (perf and price vs weight).

Chris R

You would still be able to buy the 2011 MBPs (like you can still buy the iPad 2), right? Planning to buy a 13" laptop (my first Mac) around August but I'm not sure yet what exactly I want. Between the current Air and Pro I was leaning more towards the Pro (perf and price vs weight).

Again this is just my speculation, but I'm guessing that the 11" and 13" laptops would remain like the air (no dedicated GPU, SSDs, no replacing the RAM, ect) while the 15" and 17" would just become "air like" by slimming down, ditching the DVD drive, while still retaining their dedicated GPUs and beefier processors.

would I notice a diffrence between four gigs of ram and eight gigs of ram, if I was just using an Imac to write papers, internet browsing, and keynote presentations?

LCfiner

would I notice a diffrence between four gigs of ram and eight gigs of ram, if I was just using an Imac to write papers, internet browsing, and keynote presentations?

yes. I've seen improvements in system performance going from 4 to 8.

above 8, it's way less noticeable. I've gone from 8 to 12 and back to 8 and can't tell a difference with the kind of tasks you mention.

if you don't already own the imac, don't buy the RAM upgrade from Apple. buy it online separately and save yourself a lot of money

I am going to sell my MacBook Pro and MacBook Air and buy an iMac. Haven't ever owned a desktop but I'm starting to feel that devices like iPad can do enough of the tasks of a laptop that I don't really need a laptop for it's portability and would rather have a desktop with a huge HDD and faster processor to store, backup and edit all my media (videos, music, photos, books, etc). iPad also has a data connection which I feel a lot better about paying for than paying for Wi-Fi in a hotel room or airport.

This makes sense in my head, but has anyone else made a similar move only to end up regretting it later on?

And I'm definitely opting for the magic trackpad over the mouse.

That's where I'm at too. Waiting for new iMacs and thinking about going iPad + iMac and selling my MacBook Pro. Everything I do on my MacBook I'd rather do on either an iPad or iMac.

Chris R

I doubt going to 8 doing just those tasks will make much of a difference anyways (unless you have a TON of pages open in whatever browser you use).

An easy way to check would be to open up your activity monitor and check the memory usage.

caramac

if yo don't already own the imac, don't buy the RAM upgrade from Apple. buy it online separately and save yourself a lot of money
Good advice. I've just purchased a pair of kingston 4gb memory modules for £37. For the same upgrade on the Apple Store it's around £160 I believe.

yes. I've seen improvements in system performance going from 4 to 8.

above 8, it's way less noticeable. I've gone from 8 to 12 and back to 8 and can't tell a difference with the kind of tasks you mention.

if you don't already own the imac, don't buy the RAM upgrade from Apple. buy it online separately and save yourself a lot of money

Okay, thanks for the advice. I'll start looking for ram on amazon

Top Bottom