• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Again this is just my speculation, but I'm guessing that the 11" and 13" laptops would remain like the air (no dedicated GPU, SSDs, no replacing the RAM, ect) while the 15" and 17" would just become "air like" by slimming down, ditching the DVD drive, while still retaining their dedicated GPUs and beefier processors.

If apple completely ditches disc drives on their laptops that would be horrible. What would people do who buy movies that have a digital copy that require you to insert a disc? And the idea of never being able to rip a freshly purchased CD is just not something I'm willing to give up

3N16MA

Banned
If apple completely ditches disc drives on their laptops that would be horrible. What would people do who buy movies that have a digital copy that require you to insert a disc? And the idea of never being able to rip a freshly purchased CD is just not something I'm willing to give up

External drive or remote disc if you have another Mac should suffice for the few times you need a drive.

Magni

Again this is just my speculation, but I'm guessing that the 11" and 13" laptops would remain like the air (no dedicated GPU, SSDs, no replacing the RAM, ect) while the 15" and 17" would just become "air like" by slimming down, ditching the DVD drive, while still retaining their dedicated GPUs and beefier processors.

So the 13" MBP would disappear basically? I wouldn't mind having an SSD (128+) instead of an HDD, and no ODD, but I don't want to be stuck with an Air that I can't upgrade at all (soldered RAM for example). I just hope the price won't rise (right now an MBP would cost me $1100 with edu pricing), and that's as high as I'm willing to go.

Quick

Banned
In the three years I've had my Macbook Pro, I've only ever used the disc drive the few times I had to install/reinstall Snow Leopard and Lion and the one time to look at the contents of a disc I found. I don't think I'd miss it if it was gone.

I'm also a PC user with a desktop with a disc drive. Maybe if it was my sole machine, a disc drive could come handy. I'd probably end up just buying an external drive.

RDreamer

I'm going to try and upgrade my Macbook this year and I'd be pretty disappointed if they took out the drive. I buy a lot of CDs and like to listen to them directly from my laptop so I can scrobble to last.fm. I'm also worried about then going SSD with everything... I'm hoping they'll still have a lot of space. I had to upgrade this laptop with a 750 gig HDD, and I won't take anything less than 500gb when I change. I'm a graphic designer, so my files are really huge.

Question for this whole process, since I've never upgraded right when they change: Do the prices of the last model drop right away too? Do the refurbished prices of everything drop at the same time?

LeleSocho

Banned

vFGgh.jpg

Chris R

I'm almost positive the drive will be gone on the entire line (the 17" might keep it to appease people). With no drive people are more likely to purchase content from iTunes vs buying physical media. It also allows for a bigger battery and a slimmer laptop, which honestly would probably be the main selling points to the masses. It just makes too much sense with the whole "post-pc" paradigm Apple seems to be in at the moment.

ericexpo

I wouldn't mind see the disc drive go away, i've replace mine with a SSD. I wish it would be two drives tho, I like dumping all my programs on one and having another as a space to save stuff.

JayDub

This. People seem to think that it will be the end of disk drives. It wont. I've used my disk drive maybe 3 times since I've had my laptop since 2005. I would have much preferred to have it as an accessory and plug it in whenever I need it. Especially if the exclusion of the drive makes for a thinner, lighter laptop.

If it's such an infrequent situation like the one you describe above, I'd much rather have the drive be external than packed in and sacrifice size, weight, or battery. I bought a MBA at the beginning of the year and honestly missing the use of a disc drive hasn't come up once.

Hey guys,
I have a Macbook Pro from 2011 that's running a little sluggish...do any of you do a fresh re-install every couple months or something? I have a Time Machine backup but I'd kinda like to start with fresh programs

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
I'm going to try and upgrade my Macbook this year and I'd be pretty disappointed if they took out the drive. I buy a lot of CDs and like to listen to them directly from my laptop so I can scrobble to last.fm. I'm also worried about then going SSD with everything... I'm hoping they'll still have a lot of space. I had to upgrade this laptop with a 750 gig HDD, and I won't take anything less than 500gb when I change. I'm a graphic designer, so my files are really huge.

Question for this whole process, since I've never upgraded right when they change: Do the prices of the last model drop right away too? Do the refurbished prices of everything drop at the same time?
I'd like to see them go with both a small SSD and a normal hard drive if they're going to ditch the disc drive, but that's probably a pipedream.

LCfiner

I think you’re going to be disappointed with the CD listening situation.

But, anyway, regarding prices on old models, Apple has been very consistent with this for years. the old models can’t be bought anymore from Apple stores. maybe they’ll be selling for 100 bucks off at places like Best Buy for a few weeks.

Now, for refurbs, you’ll see prices on older models drop a few extra percent on the day of the launch of the new model, yes. so that’s where you should look if you want a decent deal on an older MBP model.

golem

I don't have a (working) disc drive in any of my computers... the 1 external that I have covers any circumstances just fine.

RDreamer

I'm still really unsure of upgrading this year or not. My MBP is getting kind of old. It was from 2007. It still works rather well, though, since I just put in another GB of ram (bringing it to its max of 3), and a 750gb HDD last year. My only real complaint is that it gets some stutters here and there, but I can't blame it since I'm often working on really large files and have a ton of stuff open at the same time. Actually what's more annoying is that since I upgraded to Lion it freezes on start up after logging in about one of every 4-6 times. Really weird. Other than that it's pretty beat up by now, and the disc drive opening has caved in a bit causing discs to get stuck, but I sanded that down a bit and it hasn't been a problem so much since. And I had to open it up and lube the fans a few times.

But yeah, I'm just not sure if I should wait it out another year.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I'm still really unsure of upgrading this year or not. My MBP is getting kind of old. It was from 2007. It still works rather well, though, since I just put in another GB of ram (bringing it to its max of 3), and a 750gb HDD last year. My only real complaint is that it gets some stutters here and there, but I can't blame it since I'm often working on really large files and have a ton of stuff open at the same time. Actually what's more annoying is that since I upgraded to Lion it freezes on start up after logging in about one of every 4-6 times. Really weird. Other than that it's pretty beat up by now, and the disc drive opening has caved in a bit causing discs to get stuck, but I sanded that down a bit and it hasn't been a problem so much since. And I had to open it up and lube the fans a few times.

But yeah, I'm just not sure if I should wait it out another year.
If you want a real speed boost, chuck an SSD in there. I put one in my MBP 13" and it's so much faster. I wouldn't go back to a regular HDD.

Cool story bro, but I'm glad Apple isn't willing to impede progress by listening to people like you. Sure, a certain percentage of people still have valid uses for an optical drive. But that doesn't mean that Apple needs to have them built in and people like me who don't need or want one are saddled by the increased size, weight, etc. Not once since Ive got my MBA did I miss the optical drive. For those who do, there will be options, including external drives. Yeah, some will bitch and proclaim the end of the world. It'll pass. The rest of us will move on. I hope they get rid of ODs on their entire computer lineup as soon as possible. It's such an archaic, clunky and outdated technology that needs to die. Its usefulness does not justify the amount of weight and size that is required on a laptop. That space could be used for components that are overall alot more useful (ie. bigger battery) and the weight can be shed. I have a 13" Air, and would buy a 15" MBP/Air in a heartbeat if it ditched the damn drive.

RDreamer

If you want a real speed boost, chuck an SSD in there. I put one in my MBP 13" and it's so much faster. I wouldn't go back to a regular HDD.

If I was willing to get rid of my cd drive I suppose I could chuck a SSD for the OS in there, but overall I need a lot of space. As I said, I do graphic design and photography, so I've got some massive files. And I don't want to throw all my files out on an external, since I have to take my laptop to work. I need access to everything wherever I am.

If I was willing to get rid of my cd drive I suppose I could chuck a SSD for the OS in there, but overall I need a lot of space. As I said, I do graphic design and photography, so I've got some massive files. And I don't want to throw all my files out on an external, since I have to take my laptop to work. I need access to everything wherever I am.

From what I have heard, you only use the SSD for booting up and for apps and access the files via an internal hard drive. This would negate the need for an external.

There is the optibay setup though it would be nice if Apple just had the battery, memory, and two drives.

What about a refresh for the Macbook Air?

My wife needs a laptop and I'm inclined to buy an Air, the refresh would be for me really to buy the shiny new one, whereas my wife just wants a laptop better then her 7 year old Sony.

Should I go out and buy the current Air or wait?

3N16MA

Banned
What about a refresh for the Macbook Air?

My wife needs a laptop and I'm inclined to buy an Air, the refresh would be for me really to buy the shiny new one, whereas my wife just wants a laptop better then her 7 year old Sony.

Should I go out and buy the current Air or wait?

Read this: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/. It's the MacRumors buyer's guide and while it's not going to tell you exactly when a product is going to be released it gives you a good average. I should really add it to the OP.

kaskade

I spilled some liquid on my trackpad (not the first time) and now my click isn't working. It was working for a little bit but it stopped again. I opened it up and there wasn't much. Luckily right under the trackpad is just the battery. Everything else works. I can tap to click, move, and multitouch. I didn't really even notice anything on the trackpad when I opened it up. I guess if apple does a redesign I have a dumb enough reason to upgrade. Either that or I go macbook air.

Yoshiya

Alright, after hearing I've picked up a rather generous scholarship package, I'm on board for a 2012 MBA/Air-ified Ivy Bridge MBP. So, when?

Alright, after hearing I've picked up a rather generous scholarship package, I'm on board for a 2012 MBA/Air-ified Ivy Bridge MBP. So, when?

There was something said about a delay of ivy bridge until June, though I'm not sure if that means all of the product or just some subset of them.

FStop7

Banned

I heard this precise argument (many times) when the floppy disk drive was eliminated.

Just get a USB CD/DVD-RW drive and you're good to go.

On my Macbook Air I have never once had a need for an optical drive.

On my Macbook Pro the optical drive is vestigial. I want to replace it with an SSD.

Jasoco

Banned
I saw that and it says the new boards, sandybridge?, are coming. Are they worth the wait? Are they that much more powerful?
Supposedly quite a bit more than the current i3/i5/i7 generation which was quite a bit better than the previous Core2Duo's. If you have the means to wait, do it. But don't feel like you failed if you end up with something from this generation because they're amazing machines as it is.

MedIC86

I have a few questions as a mac noob.

Im currently looking to start doing some stuff with Logic (so keep in mind that i only need the mac for this). now i have a few questions.

- Im looking to buy a mac mini, because this is the cheaper alternative to other mac hardware. Is it a good idea to buy a mini now? the mac buyer guide says only if you need it, but i dont really want to wait until june/july, and even then is the new one gonna be a lot faster?

- According to the official site Logic should run on a mac mini (i will add some more memory). Does anyone have experience with this?

- Any other helpfull tips ?

Thanks!

123rl

I'd buy it now. You're at least 5 months away from a new model and I don't think there'll be a massive improvement. I love the Mac Mini. It's my favourite computer I've ever bought

I'm looking at getting a new iMac when the next model is released. I come from the PC world and am afraid of Apple eventually abandoning the computer I get and stop supporting it.

There's a lot of freaks I've noticed whom replace their machine every two years it seems. Am I going to have to do this? What's the length of time I can expect to have this and be supported by Apple?

Man

Will be updating once the first Ivy Bridge 13" laptops comes out.

I currently have an 11" Air but it is a bit small. My work pc laptop is 13" and just manages to squeeze into pretty much any bag. 15" would be too large.

Massa

I'm looking at getting a new iMac when the next model is released. I come from the PC world and am afraid of Apple eventually abandoning the computer I get and stop supporting it.

There's a lot of freaks I've noticed whom replace their machine every two years it seems. Am I going to have to do this? What's the length of time I can expect to have this and be supported by Apple?

I have a 2007 MacBook that will probably be unsupported by the next Mac OS X version. I think the worst case in terms of support was for the people that bought the last G5 model of a Mac, they cut that off in 3 years or so. Usually you get 5 years or more.

And when they do drop support at least now you can easily migrate to Windows or Linux, since it's an Intel architecture (well, Linux worked just fine on PPC Macs too).

Karud

I bought my MacBook Pro Late 2006 early 2007. All I did was upgrading the RAM and HDD during this time. I still use it every day and it supports Lion, the latest OS from Apple. It won't support Mountain Lion but that doesn't mean Apple is about to discontinue OS support.

123rl

That's why I jumped in now. I have a 2011 Mac and I see it getting support for at least another 3 years and patches/updates for at least another 2 years on top of that. Even after that it will still work, just not with the latest version. By that point I will have chosen to upgrade, rather than being forced to upgrade

Buy it now, buy some 3rd party RAM, and enjoy it

Supposedly quite a bit more than the current i3/i5/i7 generation which was quite a bit better than the previous Core2Duo's. If you have the means to wait, do it. But don't feel like you failed if you end up with something from this generation because they're amazing machines as it is.

We went and bought a 13" Macbook Pro today. I was pushing for my wife to get an Air, I have a 15" Pro and hate the weight, but then the store offered a free 4GB ram upgrade for free on the Mac Pro.

Set it up now, and I must say I was fooled into buying the 15", I was going for size but in comparison with full screen apps the 13" is excellent. 15" is too bulky.

One question:

Is there an easy way to move over a dozen albums from my itunes to hers?

I wonder if Apple is going to make a Laptop / Tablet hybrid, like the new Lenovo.

It's a great idea. have a normal laptop but being able to rotate the display all the way to the back to dabble as a tablet!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
One question:

Is there an easy way to move over a dozen albums from my itunes to hers?

Right click the file. Pick show in Finder. Copy and paste those over into a USB drive. Move it.

Massa

I bought my MacBook Pro Late 2006 early 2007. All I did was upgrading the RAM and HDD during this time. I still use it every day and it supports Lion, the latest OS from Apple. It won't support Mountain Lion but that doesn't mean Apple is about to discontinue OS support.

You should get ready to upgrade. First you'll see some apps you use drop support for Lion, then soon after security updates from Apple will stop altogether.

I wonder if Apple is going to make a Laptop / Tablet hybrid, like the new Lenovo.

It's a great idea. have a normal laptop but being able to rotate the display all the way to the back to dabble as a tablet!

I wouldn't bet on it from Apple anytime soon, but that's basically the selling point of Windows 8.

Would be revolutionary. Is this steve's last innovation?

I'm in dire need of a new iMac - my CoreDuo is 6 years old -, but I cannot bring myself to pay May 2011 prices for a 10 month old computer. Going to wait for the Ivy Bridge update, or maybe retina display iMac or MBAs if it ever happens. Actually screw IB i want retina displays on my Macs.

Top Bottom