• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

topramen

I have a tricked out 17inch MacBook pro (e2011) but kind of have buyers remorse. I know the
Physical redesign will come out this year, and I'll instantly be stuck with she "old" MacBook pro.
I also am realiizing it is just too big to carry around. I really only use all that horsepower for gaming (sc2!) buy am realizing I might be better off selling it an buying an ivy bridge MacBook pro, and then at some point getting/building a HTPC for all my gaming needs, thus freeing myself from the shackles of the Xbox and Mac gaming ghetto, using steam primarily as my way of playing games.

What could you get for the top of the line early 2011 MacBook pro.

3.2 i7 w/ 8gb of ram?

Yoshiya

Here's something I can't decide on - given portability is of high concern, and I better going a dual-core 13" or will the Air chassis make a 15" quad core a viable upgrade? I shouldn't spend that much, but I could (and would) stretch to a 15" for the added longevity of the quad core Ivy Bridge.

A friend of mine said she wishes she had the portability of a 13", though her 15" of course is thicker and heavier than this year's model, presumably.

MedIC86

I have a tricked out 17inch MacBook pro (e2011) but kind of have buyers remorse. I know the
Physical redesign will come out this year, and I'll instantly be stuck with she "old" MacBook pro.
I also am realiizing it is just too big to carry around. I really only use all that horsepower for gaming (sc2!) buy am realizing I might be better off selling it an buying an ivy bridge MacBook pro, and then at some point getting/building a HTPC for all my gaming needs, thus freeing myself from the shackles of the Xbox and Mac gaming ghetto, using steam primarily as my way of playing games.

3.2 i7 w/ 8gb of ram?

cant you return it? or did you found out after a few weeks?

3.2 i7 w/ 8gb of ram?

When did you buy it? You may be able to return it if it was within the last couple weeks.

topramen

No I bought it about a year ago, but was thinking about trying the whole sell/upgrade apple products yearly thing as I have heard you can actually spend the me amount of money as if you just upgraded every five years

Magni

Would be revolutionary. Is this steve's last innovation?

I'm in dire need of a new iMac - my CoreDuo is 6 years old -, but I cannot bring myself to pay May 2011 prices for a 10 month old computer. Going to wait for the Ivy Bridge update, or maybe retina display iMac or MBAs if it ever happens. Actually screw IB i want retina displays on my Macs.

Is this sarcasm?

mrkgoo

3.2 i7 w/ 8gb of ram?

When it comes to Apple redesigns, it's all in how you look at it. I did it a few times - I got the last 12" PowerBook before they went intel. I got the last (well second last, but they didn't update the last one by much) non-unibody MacBook Pro before the Unibody came out.

Did I see it as getting stuck with the "old" model? Nah. I saw it as having the BEST of the previous design.

I had the BEST 12" PowerBook ever made.

I had the BEST 15" non-Unibody MacBook Pro. Seriously, it even has multitouch and LED backlighting, and I like the old design better anyway.

Digishine

Banned
so good the apple support.

My . button didn't worked so I called them yesterday and today I received a brand new keyboard of them.

Dem apple smell also

I want a little messenger bag for my 11" MacBook Air. Carry it over one shoulder and my camera slung over the other.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking more man-purse and less executive. The littler the better. Might also need to carry a MacBook Air-sized notebook (the paper kind).

So I originally bought a MBA to complement my desktop iMac, but i'm finding that I don't use the iMac at all anymore. Really at this point it's just storing my music and movies, so really i could replace it with a superdrive and portable hard drive and not miss a beat. What would be a good re-sale price for it? It's a 2007 17 inch. 2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo.

Bradach

I've decided to pick up an iMac but I've read that it's due a refresh. With the new iPad just launched are we a couple of months away from a new iMac? Any events planned in the near future where they could concievably announce a new iMac?

I'm having trouble with my macbook pro. It's been freezing from time to time where nothing works and finally it froze today and I had to hard reboot. After I hard rebooted it won't boot into OSX, it just shows the apple and the thing under that just keeps spinning. I did a disk verify or something in the recovery menu already and it said it was fine. Anyone know what could be causing this?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I've decided to pick up an iMac but I've read that it's due a refresh. With the new iPad just launched are we a couple of months away from a new iMac? Any events planned in the near future where they could concievably announce a new iMac?

I don't think you should buy anything Mac-related right now if you can afford waiting. The Ivy Bridge refresh should almost certainly occur before the end of summer. I'm personally waiting for that before buying a MacBook Air for myself. My wife has one right now and I love it, but I would prefer a bit more graphics performance. I'm hoping for a screen resolution increase, too.

Shuusui

Um, hey guys.... was it ever confirmed the refresh from the Mac lineup will feature Ivy Bridge?

Been a PC+Windows guy my whole life, and I'm financially able to make the jump now pretty comfortably. However, I do not want to get on board at the wrong time. I can wait until June, July even August to jump on board.

Um, hey guys.... was it ever confirmed the refresh from the Mac lineup will feature Ivy Bridge?

Been a PC+Windows guy my whole life, and I'm financially able to make the jump now pretty comfortably. However, I do not want to get on board at the wrong time. I can wait until June, July even August to jump on board.

It's pretty much an open secret that it will. It should be showing up in the next couple of weeks, too. The best place to track this stuff is Macrumors.com's buyer's guide:

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook_Pro

If you can wait, wait. The whole lineup is supposedly getting a massive revamp this year.

topramen

3.2 i7 w/ 8gb of ram?

Ok so I was offered a 2010 Mac pro:

Apple Mac Pro 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Desktop Computer - MC560LLA/ One 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Nehalem" Processor/ 4GB (Four 1GB) Memory/ 1TB Hard Drive/Two 18x Double-Layer SuperDrive/ ATI Radeon HD 5770 With 1GB GDDR/ Five USB 2.0 Ports/ Four FireWire 800 Ports/ Mac OS X Lion/Aluminum Finish.

Is this a fair trade?

I had planned to go MacBook air then supercomputer but could easily go the other way around.
What
Would windows gaming on this thing be like? How much would I have to drop on upgrades? Can you update the graphics card? Any chance there will be se update in the future that allows thunderbolt???

Timan

Developer
It's nice but those prices are so obnoxious, it makes them hard to swallow. There's nothing about that thing that it should be $60.

Was 20$ shipped 2 weeks ago on their site. They had a 40% off coupon plus it was already on sale. Was a steal. Case is perfect for the air, loving it.

hobart

I know it's inevitable... but... time frame... is Mountain Lion the time I'll see my favorite apps end up on my OSX Desktop?

Honestly... the only app I want is my cable TV app.

Timan

Developer
Well my Mac Pro went to the shitter this morning. I'm thinking its just the 8800GT since its artifacts and it booted long enough with a PC graphics card in it, to where I was able to get into OSX and back stuff up. So took the risk, had to purchase a 250$ OUTDATED Apple 5770 from amazon, should be here tomorrow (knock on wood).

Really do hate how you can't use any graphics card on a mac. Could just go buy a 50$ card and be done with it.

iPad 3 as a monitor via Air Display:

HiDPI mode with an app that supports it

6898836752_6182b14b98_o.png

HiDPI mode with an app that doesn't support it

njean777

Well my Mac Pro went to the shitter this morning. I'm thinking its just the 8800GT since its artifacts and it booted long enough with a PC graphics card in it, to where I was able to get into OSX and back stuff up. So took the risk, had to purchase a 250$ OUTDATED Apple 5770 from amazon, should be here tomorrow (knock on wood).

Really do hate how you can't use any graphics card on a mac. Could just go buy a 50$ card and be done with it.

If you really wanted to get all technical you could try to flash graphics cards for mac pro use. At macrumors I believe they have a guide on the Mac Pro forums for it. Allows for far more options then what apple offers.

Aside from that just traded my early 2011 MBP for an 2011 11in Macbook Air gotta say I am loving the air so far. I really didn't need all that power that the MBP offered as I have a gaming desktop.

renitou

So the updated iMac should be coming out within the next couple of months and I'm wondering what we can expect from the top end? I have the 3.4Ghz i7, what sort of performance gain could be expected from the Ivy Bridge CPU's over Sandy Bridge, 10-15%?

Also, are there better mobile GPU's that could possibly make it in, or do we expect the top end to stick with the 6970m?

Thoughts/speculation?

The rumored 11-inch Ivy Bridge MacBook Air with 2560x1440 screen resolution will be the culmination of everything I've ever wanted from an ultraportable. I'm probably going to sell my 2011 MBA soon, I should've waited a year.

I'm not sure there's been enough noise about retina for it to be in this MBP refresh, but I really hope it is. I'd be kind of surprised though, I have a feel ivy bridge & the form factor are going to be their big selling points for this one. But if Apple does bring that much heat in one refresh? Hail to the kings.

I've been waiting for the ivy bridge update for soooo long, I'm not sure my '06 MBP will make it into a 7th year (plus it's already below spec for Final Cut X).

Cheebo

Banned
The intel CEO is going around saying Ivy Bridge is built to be retina ready. I think Apple is going to take the plunge this go round, I mean they put retina style icons in Lion and even more in Mountain Lion.

When is WWDC again? June right? I suspect that is when we will get the details.

Edit: Intel is expecting Retina in 2013 for PC's and Apple tends to be ahead of the competition by roughly a year... http://www.macrumors.com/2012/04/12/intel-looking-toward-retina-display-pcs-by-2013/

Yeah, I'm expecting:

- 11-inch MBA = 2560 x 1440
- 13-inch MBA/MBP = 2800 x 1800
- 15-inch MBP = 3840 x 2160
- iMac = 3840 x 2160

As per Intel CEO predictions for 2013 ultrabooks. But I think Apple will get a head start, so I'm expecting this summer to blow minds.

Top Bottom