• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Apple is not developing a dedicated console and I doubt that Valve is either. What I would expect is greater Valve support for iOS or Apple TV though.

Chris R

Apple is not developing a dedicated console and I doubt that Valve is either. What I would expect is greater Valve support for iOS or Apple TV though.

I'd buy an Apple TV if it would enable "Comfy Couch Mode" in steam on my TV (from my MBA, but it would be even better if my PC would work too).

The gaming side would go nuts if Apple did something crazy with their near limitless cash and bought Valve.

That would be an even more beautiful day on NeoGAF than when FFXIII was announced for Xbox 360.

Please, Tim Cook, it would be worth it for the entertainment value alone.

well I just saw the 11" MBA . Oh my god its TINY! I didn't realize the screen is that small , but its so adorably small that I want it. Do any of you have it? do you regret getting it over the 13" model?

I have it. It's awesome - the 13 inch is ever slightly too large for me for an ultraportable, but the 11 inch is the perfect "throw it in a bag and take it anywhere" size.

Combined with my jailbreak WiFi tethering app for iPhone, it's a fearsome productivity machine on the daily commute as well. BetterTouchTool is a must for window snapping, but otherwise it's perfectly competent for work, not just a cute toy. I wrote my senior thesis on this thing exclusively, which would've been a nightmare on my previous laptop (a 10 inch HP netbook with the worst trackpad ever made).

Not really, it would be pretty awesome imo. It's really the only way we'll see a steam machine or 'single console' future if a company as big as Apple has the balls and backing to push through for it.

No, it would. Most don't care about a steam console. Steam is good for the way they are handled now, and especially with their sales. Apple would ruin most of what people like in steam.

Magni

I have it. It's awesome - the 13 inch is ever slightly too large for me for an ultraportable, but the 11 inch is the perfect "throw it in a bag and take it anywhere" size.

Combined with my jailbreak WiFi tethering app for iPhone, it's a fearsome productivity machine on the daily commute as well. BetterTouchTool is a must for window snapping, but otherwise it's perfectly competent for work, not just a cute toy. I wrote my senior thesis on this thing exclusively, which would've been a nightmare on my previous laptop (a 10 inch HP netbook with the worst trackpad ever made).

Does the extra inch do a lot compared to the 10" netbook? I have a 10" EeePC and I'm thinking of going for a 13" MBP, but if they fuse the MBA and MBP, I might start looking at the 11" model as well. I don't care for power that much (HD video streaming, no gaming), but it needs to be comfortable enough do be a work computer (the netbook is cramped and doesn't have enough screen real-estate).

Does the extra inch do a lot compared to the 10" netbook? I have a 10" EeePC and I'm thinking of going for a 13" MBP, but if they fuse the MBA and MBP, I might start looking at the 11" model as well. I don't care for power that much (HD video streaming, no gaming), but it needs to be comfortable enough do be a work computer (the netbook is cramped and doesn't have enough screen real-estate).
I think it makes a huge difference (11.6'' is actually closer to 12 inches than 11). Even if it were 10 inches though, OS X makes much better use of its screen real estate than Windows - full-screen apps are a joy to use, as are Spaces (switching desktops at the swipe of your fingers). The trackpad makes all the difference as far as productivity goes.

For productivity, it's difficult to justify an 11inch screen. I have a 20inch monitor on my desktop and I window snap all the time when I'm working on it. On a 13inch screen, Window Snapping is a pain. You should get the most of your buck. The MBP are quite light imo

bionic77

well I just saw the 11" MBA . Oh my god its TINY! I didn't realize the screen is that small , but its so adorably small that I want it. Do any of you have it? do you regret getting it over the 13" model?
The only thing I liked more about the 13" than the 11" is that I find it more comfortable to type on the 13" with that bigger bezel. The super thin unibodies kind of cut into my skin and I found using the 11 uncomfortable making me settle on getting the 13" once they get the update.

I would rather get the 11" though because it can't be beat for portability. It feels like a portable iPad once it is folded up.

If you don't type much or if it isn't a killer to get the slightly smaller screen then I recommend going with the 11".

bionic77

For productivity, it's difficult to justify an 11inch screen. I have a 20inch monitor on my desktop and I window snap all the time when I'm working on it. On a 13inch screen, Window Snapping is a pain. You should get the most of your buck. The MBP are quite light imo
Depends how often you are on the go.

If it is meant to be mostly used at home then the 15" MBP is perfect.

IF you are going to be carrying it around everywhere then the portability of the Air becomes really attractive.

well I just saw the 11" MBA . [...] Do any of you have it? do you regret getting it over the 13" model?

Love mine. No regrets at all. Have a Mac Pro at home and a Mini at work.

For productivity, it's difficult to justify an 11inch screen. I have a 20inch monitor on my desktop and I window snap all the time when I'm working on it. [...] The MBP are quite light imo

The MBP (even 13") are huge and heavy in comparison to the 11" MBA. I have 24" and 17" monitors on my desk and find the small screen perfectly fine for the work I do on it. I use: Terminal, Safari, Mail, GarageBand, Aperture, Photoshop. It can feel small for Photoshop, but I only ever do small web graphics on it.

Magni

Thanks for the answers guys, I guess I'll just have to go try them out myself at an Apple Store when the new ones come out.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Lion has some high res art, but not nearly all. There are some graphical bugs and inconsistencies too. Of course they could use an updated build of Lion, but I still see them wanting to wait for 10.8 to officially start pushing developers to update for HiDPI. (WWDC)

Yep. Which is why I think the next iMac refresh will get retina in the summer and MacBook pro probably won't get it right now IMO.

Would like to be pleasantly surprised though.

It seems like most people in this thread are more into the laptop side of Mac hardware, but is anyone else following the rumors/speculation for the upcoming iMac?

AMD will be releasing the 7970m cards in the next couple of months, can we expect this card in the high end iMac? What sort of performance gains could we expect over the 6970m if that's the case, cause I'm hearing up to 50% faster...

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'll be grabbing the new iMac whenever it comes out. I'm hoping for a redesign and a retina screen. I know nothing of rumors, though, or an expected timeline.

Blackhead

Redarse
You guys realize that Macs getting retina screens will make everything but text and OS chrome look like utter shit, right?

Mac OS X is a scalable UI so shouldn't be a probl we're fucked, aren't we? I use apps that only got one measly update in years (and that was only because apple finally cut off PPC emulation).

Would it really be that bad though? I mean the iMac already has 2560 by 1440 pixels resolution. If you double the resolution of the MBA 11" it still falls within that range. I tried the HiDPI via the new iPad (2048x1536) and it didn't look shitty. Just really, really tiny...

njean777

Mac OS X is a scalable UI so shouldn't be a probl we're fucked, aren't we? I use apps that only got one measly update in years (and that was only because apple finally cut off PPC emulation).

Would it really be that bad though? I mean the iMac already has 2560 by 1440 pixels resolution. If you double the resolution of the MBA 11" it still falls within that range. I tried the HiDPI via the new iPad (2048x1536) and it didn't look shitty. Just really, really tiny...

Yeah that is only for the macbook air if they were to go Retina in the imacs and and higher MBP they would have to include resolution independence in ML which I do not think they have done yet. Could be wrong though.

Either tiny or pixelated, depending on the app/content.

Kinda like how images and non-retina apps look bad on the new iPad.

Cheebo

Banned
Well Intel sees retina being the PC norm in 2013 and Apple traditionally is about a year ahead of the PC side of things with the Mac platform in terms of hardware. By pure historical standards it would go that Macs would be retina in 2012.

Blackhead

Redarse
Well Intel sees retina being the PC norm in 2013 and Apple traditionally is about a year ahead of the PC side of things with the Mac platform in terms of hardware. By pure historical standards it would go that Macs would be retina in 2012.

That's not actually true. Apple gets ahead on proprietary stuff like ports and unibody design. The PC side is usually ahead with the component stuff like displays and processors (which was what Intel was giving the timeline for). You could always get better displays on the PC side, they're just relegated to high end expensive models which the majority of pc users don't buy and don't get reviewed in the press. Perhaps the Mac retina displays are something Apple has specially requested and funded out of their pocket, like the iPhone/iPad displays

Somewhat related: if Intel sees retina as Eki supported by their 2013 CPUs, doesn't that imply that the MacBook air line won't be getting retina this year? Unless Apple is going to add graphics cards back in the MBAs can ivy bridge support a retina display on its own?

That's not actually true. Apple gets ahead on proprietary stuff like ports and unibody design. The PC side is usually ahead with the component stuff like displays and processors (which was what Intel was giving the timeline for). You could always get better displays on the PC side, they're just relegated to high end expensive models which the majority of pc users don't buy and don't get reviewed in the press. Perhaps the Mac retina displays are something Apple has specially requested and funded out of their pocket, like the iPhone/iPad displays

Somewhat related: if Intel sees retina as Eki supported by their 2013 CPUs, doesn't that imply that the MacBook air line won't be getting retina this year? Unless Apple is going to add graphics cards back in the MBAs can ivy bridge support a retina display on its own?
Ivy Bridge GPU to support resolutions up to 4096x4096:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4838/ivy-bridge-gpu-to-support-resolutions-of-up-to-4096x4096

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You guys realize that Macs getting retina screens will make everything but text and OS chrome look like utter shit, right?

"If you build it, they will come." I mean, what's the point of Thunderbolt ports when nothing runs in it, anyway? ...Anything that's not already ubiquitous?

Talon

"If you build it, they will come." I mean, what's the point of Thunderbolt ports when nothing runs in it, anyway? ...Anything that's not already ubiquitous?
The implications for PC gaming is what interests me. We're finally getting to a point where developers are being pushed to aim for the middle...and then we're about to balloon the native resolution of displays.

Not that it's a huge market by any means. We are niche, after all.

Also, as someone that works at a software developer, our assets are going to look like shit.

Jimrpg

Gonna post a gripe...

the annoying thing about mac stuff is the waiting game, NO WONDER people wait in queues! People wait 2, 3 months cause they know the next iteration is coming out and they are sick of waiting so they line up day 1.

Anyways - the last macbook pro was a real shitty update, just a small bump up of processors and thunderbolt.... and the iMACs are really due for an overhual - the 27 inch version is 14kg.... r u kidding me? Maybe back in 2005 this was reasonable... but no one wants to have a massive lump of a machine around even if you have the space. - that 27 inch monster needs to be cut down to 4kg at the most, just make them laptop components and you dont even need a battery!

But yeah sick of waiting - ive been 3 and a half years on my macbook aluminium.. it runs great with the internet and playing videos but thats about it.... i hope 2012 is the year of the MAC... my hope is that they need to convert all these iPhone and iPad users to the MAC.... but i doubt it cause they keep referring to the Post PC world.

Gonna post a gripe...

the annoying thing about mac stuff is the waiting game, NO WONDER people wait in queues! People wait 2, 3 months cause they know the next iteration is coming out and they are sick of waiting so they line up day 1.

Anyways - the last macbook pro was a real shitty update, just a small bump up of processors and thunderbolt.... and the iMACs are really due for an overhual - the 27 inch version is 14kg.... r u kidding me? Maybe back in 2005 this was reasonable... but no one wants to have a massive lump of a machine around even if you have the space. - that 27 inch monster needs to be cut down to 4kg at the most, just make them laptop components and you dont even need a battery!

But yeah sick of waiting - ive been 3 and a half years on my macbook aluminium.. it runs great with the internet and playing videos but thats about it.... i hope 2012 is the year of the MAC... my hope is that they need to convert all these iPhone and iPad users to the MAC.... but i doubt it cause they keep referring to the Post PC world.

The iMac's already use mobile GPU's, plus that is the worst idea ever...

Gonna post a gripe...

What's the point of having a really light desktop that sits on top of your desk all day?

I do agree that it's a shame Apple seems to be concentrating so much on iPhone/iPad lately and mac updates have been scarce and incremental. But look at their profits and it's not hard to see why.

Mendoza

I was mugged a couple of months ago, and lost my 2007 Blackbook. I no longer have a computer (been using my iPhone), and within the last week, I have saved up enough money to purchase a new iMac.

The problem is that they are due for a refresh/update really, really soon. The other problem is that Diablo 3 is coming out on May 15...So I literally have a ticking clock for my dilemma.

From what it looks like, the new iMacs should be releasing sometime between April 24 and July - this is because Intel's Ivy Bridge processors are releasing the 24th, and companies can't release models with the new processors until after that date. The last iMac update was over 350 days ago, and the average update time within the last 5 years have been 280ish days.

I'm hoping for some news on the 24th, so anyone waiting for the new iMacs, this is going to be the time were rumors will start kicking, and hopefully Apple will announce a press conference within that week.

Also, anyone expecting a Retina display for this update should probably forget it. Considering Apples hardware track record, I see no reason for them to go retina on their desktops yet. I can see the next Macbook Pro/Air having them, maybe, but not the desktops.

Alchemy

Wouldn't retina displays for a desktop be friggin expensive anyways? 4k monitors aren't exactly cheap right now. I'm holding out until the Air refresh and probably getting an 11 inch one. One thing I'm concerned about is the OS bloating in size when they update the UI for retina resolutions which will make that SSD even more cramped.

Anyone know how much storage iOS takes on the iPad 3?

Digishine

Banned
I was mugged a couple of months ago, and lost my 2007 Blackbook. I no longer have a computer (been using my iPhone), and within the last week, I have saved up enough money to purchase a new iMac.

The problem is that they are due for a refresh/update really, really soon. The other problem is that Diablo 3 is coming out on May 15...So I literally have a ticking clock for my dilemma.

From what it looks like, the new iMacs should be releasing sometime between April 24 and July - this is because Intel's Ivy Bridge processors are releasing the 24th, and companies can't release models with the new processors until after that date. The last iMac update was over 350 days ago, and the average update time within the last 5 years have been 280ish days.

I'm hoping for some news on the 24th, so anyone waiting for the new iMacs, this is going to be the time were rumors will start kicking, and hopefully Apple will announce a press conference within that week.

Also, anyone expecting a Retina display for this update should probably forget it. Considering Apples hardware track record, I see no reason for them to go retina on their desktops yet. I can see the next Macbook Pro/Air having them, maybe, but not the desktops.

Just wait for it. Cause else u gonna regret it

I am going to be moving overseas for work in August and probably doing a lot of travelling so I'm considering upgrading my Mid 2009 MBP for a MBA just to lighten my load a bit while I travel, if a new model MBA does comes out between now and August.

With that little bit of background out of the way, I have a quick question, also I am mostly an idiot when it comes to this stuff so bear with me... I do a small amount of photo editing using Photoshop Elements 9, are there any issues with migrating the Photoshop license to the new computer? If I just migrate the contents of the hard drive (including Photoshop) on my MBP will I be able run the program?

I tried to google it because it seems like it should be obvious but didn't find any clear answers. Thanks

If you bought PSE off the App store, there's no problem. If you bought retail, you probably have to deactivate the copy on the old computer and activate it on the new computer after installing it.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Wouldn't retina displays for a desktop be friggin expensive anyways? 4k monitors aren't exactly cheap right now. I'm holding out until the Air refresh and probably getting an 11 inch one. One thing I'm concerned about is the OS bloating in size when they update the UI for retina resolutions which will make that SSD even more cramped.

Anyone know how much storage iOS takes on the iPad 3?

I guess the main thing I keep thinking retina will go iMac before MBP is battery consideration. The iPad made space to double the battery size, I don't see that happening in the MBP even with the optical drive gone given they are planning on slimming the form down.

Top Bottom