• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I just Gazelle'd my mid-2010 MacBook Pro to prevent me from buying Diablo III after playing the beta. :lol

Saw that I could probably get $100-$200 more from eBay, but with fees and potential hassle I figured I'd take the more sure-thing and get it out of the house! OUT! Diablo III is like a divorce just waiting to happen for me! The moment I pulled out my MMO Naga Razr mouse and threw on my headset it was like I was back in the WoW days where I'd burn literal weeks to months of time doing what amounted to nothing.

My iPad should easily get me by, and I can remote into my Mac Mini if I ever actually have to do any desktop level work.

Probably need to invest in a decent bluetooth keyboard now, though.

...if I ever get the urge to get a new computer I'll probably spring for an iMac anyways.

Oppo

I love my mega 27" iMac.

It has a mobile GPU I'm told. Almost everything defaults to High or Ultra when I boot into Windows though - Skyrim, ME3, StarCraft. I sort of vaguely wonder why it matters. Oh well.

One thing I do though, when I switch to "PC mode" - I switch mice, from the Magic Mouse to a Logitech MX Revolution. Seems more appropriate.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I love my mega 27" iMac.

It has a mobile GPU I'm told. Almost everything defaults to High or Ultra when I boot into Windows though - Skyrim, ME3, StarCraft. I sort of vaguely wonder why it matters. Oh well.

One thing I do though, when I switch to "PC mode" - I switch mice, from the Magic Mouse to a Logitech MX Revolution. Seems more appropriate.

The GPUs in the current line of iMacs are definitely solid, and well above what is offered in the MBP line. I was able to run games at Medium to High settings typically depending on the game, but coming from the life of an extreme enthusiast gamer who always wants the best system to run games at max settings, it's tough to settle.

Getting out of PC gaming all-together was the answer for me. It's an arms race you can never win and a time-sink to beat all time-sinks for me. Just never sense of moderation when it comes to wasting time if there's a massive game out that I like.

iMac + iPad seems to be the best combination of devices to have for an Apple household these days. The need for an actual laptop is pretty much non-existent in my mind. At least nowhere near to the degree that it once was.

Oppo

The GPUs in the current line of iMacs are definitely solid, and well above what is offered in the MBP line. I was able to run games at Medium to High settings typically depending on the game, but coming from the life of an extreme enthusiast gamer who always wants the best system to run games at max settings, it's tough to settle.

Getting out of PC gaming all-together was the answer for me. It's an arms race you can never win and a time-sink to beat all time-sinks for me. Just never sense of moderation when it comes to wasting time if there's a massive game out that I like.

iMac + iPad seems to be the best combination of devices to have for an Apple household these days. The need for an actual laptop is pretty much non-existent in my mind. At least nowhere near to the degree that it once was.

Well I did pony up for the slightly better GPU due to my work, it's a 6970M with 1GB VRAM.

The arms race is definitely real, although I would disagree in that opting out entirely is the answer. I quite like having the variety of platforms available, but I am a self-spoiled nerd, who's nerdified his wife to provide continual co-enabling.

I like some PC games due to the mouse/keyboard and high rez. I like the PS3 and 360 for the unique libraries and being hooked up to giant TV with surround sound. I like some iPad and Vita games because I can play them in the backyard or when travelling. I agree completely about the laptop, by the way. I'm still chugging on an iPad 1 and really liking it, despite the fact that it's crashier since iOS 5. I really do want access to all 3 "styles". The phone is what I play the least, because I play that when I have to - that is to say, I'm stuck in a line somewhere.

Anyways that's my long-winded way of basically agreeing with you, other than not wanting to give up the occasional PC game. At the same time, when I play ME3 on the iMac and the textures are nowhere up to par on terms of the rez I'm running, you do start to question why you even bother. I actually bump most games down to regular 1920x1080 - just 'cause, may as well get the frame rate boost, the textures aren't exactly scaling.

lupin23rd

Not specifically a hardware question, but it's related to a hardware issue.

My keyboard has a bunch of keys that don't seem to work anymore, including some that are included in the password to log into my account. I can get into the guest account, so I was wondering if there's a way to somehow reset the password for the main account from that account?

Not specifically a hardware question, but it's related to a hardware issue.

My keyboard has a bunch of keys that don't seem to work anymore, including some that are included in the password to log into my account. I can get into the guest account, so I was wondering if there's a way to somehow reset the password for the main account from that account?

You can't just buy a new keyboard?

John_B

What Apple should do with the iMac:

1. Go Ivy Bridge for USB 3.0 and new Intel processors.
2. Make SSD the standard storage, and bump it to 320-512GB.
3. Add a Blu-ray drive (BD-R), and add playback software in OS X.
4. Offer Radeon HD 7970M in the 27" iMac.

Redesign the foot and you have the most awesome workstation/gaming machine on the market.

To do it from the guest account, you'll need access to the System Preferences and the on-screen virtual keyboard to authenticate yourself as a non-guest admin user. Don't know if you can do both of those things.

You will likely need to use the install media and use its password reset. There are other ways, but they're more heavily keyboard dependant.

Once you get into the account, you can use the on-screen virtual keyboard to change the keychain password, which will still be using the old password.

Neglected to mention that it's a MacBook, but I suppose I could get a cheap USB keyboard and use that in the short term? Never even thought about that.

Or that.

Hey guys, what would you say is the best BitTorrent program to use with an Airport Extreme (on a Macbook Air w/ Lion)? Are any of the usual (or not so usual) suspects more Airport-friendly than others?

Tobor

Redesign the foot and you have the most awesome workstation/gaming machine on the market.

Never gonna happen.

If it's the same as my iMac, that'll be because for some reason it can't differentiate between video memory and RAM. My (mid-2010) model can barely run BF3 on lowest settings, but if I click 'recommended' it puts me on all high/ultra because it's including my RAM in its calculations. Odd.

Nibel

Hey guys,

I want to buy a Macbook Pro - do we know anything about the 2012 version of it?
@Germany-GAF: Does somebody know where I can buy them cheaper than in Apple's own store?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys,

I want to buy a Macbook Pro - do we know anything about the 2012 version of it?
@Germany-GAF: Does somebody know where I can buy them cheaper than in Apple's own store?

I'm pretty sure the entire laptop line will be refreshed with Ivy Bridge architecture sometime this summer. I imagine they might coincide with the release of OS X Mountain Lion, which is scheduled for "this summer".

Alchemy

I'm pretty sure the entire laptop line will be refreshed with Ivy Bridge architecture sometime this summer. I imagine they might coincide with the release of OS X Mountain Lion, which is scheduled for "this summer".

This shit needs to hurry up, I want a notebook damn it.

Solid state storage definitely needs to become the standard for the Mac in my opinion. In low end models, a minimum of 128 GB should be set.

Edit: As for graphics. I'm not sure what will happen. I love my base model mini though don't know if I should sell and upgrade for Diablo III.

s0C6i.png

Need a Computer so I'm waiting until the eventual Air refresh. Was budgeting on 2 grand but I'm thinking cut that to 1400 and get an iPad with it.

Going to be doing developing and some light gaming (valve stuff) and was thinking a tablet with it would be icing on the cake. Anyone do something similar?

Need a Computer so I'm waiting until the eventual Air refresh. Was budgeting on 2 grand but I'm thinking cut that to 1400 and get an iPad with it.

Going to be doing developing and some light gaming (valve stuff) and was thinking a tablet with it would be icing on the cake. Anyone do something similar?

The opposite, maybe. Had an iPad, decided to do development.

John_B

lol blu-ray. The disk drive is dead. Deader than dead. It's going to the land of the floppy drive.
You're a bit early with the obituary. Cheap physical media will always be around, and flash memory is not it for the time being. If you buy a Mercedes in 2020 it will likely still have a CD player in it, and so will the iMac.

Blu-ray movies are awesome. I'm sure Apple would think the same if they weren't busy trying to sell you movies through their own integrated online store.

Tobor

You're a bit early with the obituary. Cheap physical media will always be around, and flash memory is not it for the time being. If you buy a Mercedes in 2020 it will likely still have a CD player in it, and so will the iMac.

Blu-ray movies are awesome. I'm sure Apple would think the same if they weren't busy trying to sell you movies through their own integrated online store.

I'll take that bet. Both of them, actually.

Cheebo

Banned

There is no way iMacs will have disk drives in 2020. They are expected to lose them this year.

John_B

There is no way iMacs will have disk drives in 2020. They are expected to lose them this year.
People took the MacBook Pro speculations about optical drives a step further. iMacs will definitly have optical drives for many more years.

There has been a steady evolution in digital distribution, but thinking physical media will vanish in a few years is a bit crazy.

Cheebo

Banned
People took the MacBook Pro speculations about optical drives a step further. iMacs will definitly have optical drives for many more years.

There has been a steady evolution in digital distribution, but thinking physical media will vanish in a few years is a bit crazy.
Bluray players and DVD players wont vanish. But on apple products? They are on the way out

Ivy Bridge is a given. They're likely gonna lose the optical drive in the next iMac form factor revision (fret not, it'll still be possible to connect external BD-R drives). Also, I think we're much more likely to see SSD+HDD combo as standard in the iMacs than SSD-only and a huge SSD storage bump.

hiro4

I wouldn't be surprised if a disk drive is an bto option on the next iMacs.
Or an external thunderbolt SuperDrive.

In any case they have to hurry with their iMac refresh. I have a bundle of money that is waiting to be spend.

bionic77

In any case they have to hurry with their iMac refresh. I have a bundle of money that is waiting to be spend.
The time right before a refresh or update is probably the worst first world trauma a person can experience.

Circle T

Same here. I bought a 11" Air last fall, but after getting my new iPad recently, it has almost fully covered my mobile needs. Going to sell the Air and get a 27" iMac whenever the refresh happens. Can't wait.

Jobiensis

Well, my laptop is dead as a doornail and I need something for work. I generally do most of my development/work on laptops by RDP/VNC into higher powered desktops. I've done a small amount of OS X development and have two Mac minis, but am pretty much a neophyte in Mac hardware. I don't have a strong preference for Win7 vs OS X, so I am considering either an Air or a Pro. I'll use a VM from time to time because most of my work is Windows related.

What is the general consensus on the new Air or Pros coming out?
What is Apple's return policy like, if I buy an 13" Air and they either a) come out with a new model next week or b) I find I need the extra RAM and resolution that a 15" Pro would provide; Am I SOL?
Are there any rental places people would recommend to hold me over?

What is Apple's return policy like, if I buy an 13" Air and they either a) come out with a new model next week or b) I find I need the extra RAM and resolution that a 15" Pro would provide; Am I SOL?

For Canada there is a 14 day full refund policy, although it takes time to get the money back if you buy and return online, obviously.

As usual the macrumors buyer's guide should be your muse in this situation though.

bionic77

Well, my laptop is dead as a doornail and I need something for work. I generally do most of my development/work on laptops by RDP/VNC into higher powered desktops. I've done a small amount of OS X development and have two Mac minis, but am pretty much a neophyte in Mac hardware. I don't have a strong preference for Win7 vs OS X, so I am considering either an Air or a Pro. I'll use a VM from time to time because most of my work is Windows related.

What is the general consensus on the new Air or Pros coming out?
Are there any rental places people would recommend to hold me over?
Will you be moving the laptop around a lot? The 11" is so fucking portable.

I have a 15" Pro but I am getting the 13" Air as my next purchase as soon as it is refreshed. The portability matters more to me than the power and extras of the Pros.

Jobiensis

Too many rumors, I'm going to try and hold out as long as possible.

Will you be moving the laptop around a lot? The 11" is so fucking portable.

I have a 15" Pro but I am getting the 13" Air as my next purchase as soon as it is refreshed. The portability matters more to me than the power and extras of the Pros.

Thanks but the resolution is an issue for me, I need space for many open windows. I doubt I could live with the 11".

The laptop that died was a 17" and over 10 lbs, even a 17" Macbook Pro would be much more portable than what I had.

That's not always reliable. Look at the iPod classic. Yeahhhh...I feel bad for those who're waiting for a new release.

It's just meant to be a reflection of when you should avoid buying. The "Don't Buy" part is pretty clear. ;) A new model did come out, it's just not the same product anymore ;)

Kusagari

I've managed to go without a mouse so far for my MBP, but I really need one now for Diablo.

Am I stuck having to buy Apple's overpriced ones, or is there a good third party one I can get?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I've managed to go without a mouse so far for my MBP, but I really need one now for Diablo.

Am I stuck having to buy Apple's overpriced ones, or is there a good third party one I can get?

Just get an inexpensive wired mouse, I use an old dell mouse and a MS mouse on mine.

Top Bottom