• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Kccitystar

I have a mid-2011 iMac and I am looking to upgrade my 500GB hard drive to a 1TB model. The catch is that it will fail a hard drive test since there is some sort of hardware modification to the drives that ship with the iMac, to my understanding.

Is there any way I can upgrade cleanly?

Tobor

Which Mac Mini you got?

ScreenShot2012-05-15at84031PM.jpg

kaioshade

I have a mid-2011 iMac and I am looking to upgrade my 500GB hard drive to a 1TB model. The catch is that it will fail a hard drive test since there is some sort of hardware modification to the drives that ship with the iMac, to my understanding.

Is there any way I can upgrade cleanly?

It will not fail a hard drive test, but the diagnostic tools will flag it as unreadable due to the serial number not being an Apple serial number.

The machine will work perfectly fine.

How does Diablo 3 run on that? I have a laptop with a first gen quad core i7, 4gb of ram and an AMD mobility hd 5730 with 1gb of ram and on the beta I had to run it on almost the lowest settings possible or else my video card would over heat and shut down the computer. With all the launch problems I might just wait until I get a new computer next year to buy the full version.

Tobor

How does Diablo 3 run on that? I have a laptop with a first gen quad core i7, 4gb of ram and an AMD mobility hd 5730 with 1gb of ram and on the beta I had to run it on almost the lowest settings possible or else my video card would over heat and shut down the computer. With all the launch problems I might just wait until I get a new computer next year to buy the full version.

So far, so good. I left everything where it was set by default. It's running at 1920x1080, texture quality-high, shadow quality-medium, physics-high, clutter density-high, anti aliasing on.

I'm not sure what to do with the framerate sliders. There is a max foreground FPS, and max background FPS. Huh?

EDIT: framerate is a bit choppy. I'll have to play around with the settings.

EDIT EDIT: dropped the shadows to low and the framerate is good!

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Wait, Diablo 3 is out on osx as well?! Hmmm, wonder how it will on my 2010 13" MBP. Downloaded Portal 2 today to check out the ugc stuff and it runs surprisingly well.

Blizzard is one of few companies that simultaneously releases for both Windows and Mac OS X.

2 questions;

1. Anyone running Diablo 3 on a MacBook Pro i7, 2.3 GHz? How does it go?

2. I'm in the market for a Macbook Air for my girlfriend, any word on the chance of seeing new ones at WWDC?

RBH

So my cousin's first-generation Macbook Air has a problem with its RAM that's going to require the replacement of the logic board since the RAM is soldiered onto it.

Its out of warranty, and I went to the Apple Store to get an estimate to fix it, and they said around $377.

I was just wondering if that's a fair price or if there's possibly any alternative places to get this laptop fixed (Atlanta area).

Its out of warranty, and I went to the Apple Store to get an estimate to fix it, and they said around $377.

I was just wondering if that's a fair price or if there's possibly any alternative places to get this laptop fixed (Atlanta area).

I'm not a repair expert but that's pretty reasonable for something that requires logic board replacement. Usually it's a lion's share of the price of the laptop. If it was really just about swapping out a ram chip I guess somebody could do the soldering job but chances are pretty poor that somebody just has those chips on hand.

That being said I guess it's possible there are some 3rd party mac repair shops out there...

EDIT: Did the original Mac Air have only soldered memory? I feel like there was a version that didn't...

I'm trying to get a bluetooth keyboard for my Mac while I get the real keyboard to get fixed...
I found one on Craigslist...it's an Apple keyboard but the guy said it was "broken".

It turns on but doesn't pair to his Mac. Is this just a simple fix? Granted its only 25 dollars but still

RBH

I'm not a repair expert but that's pretty reasonable for something that requires logic board replacement. Usually it's a lion's share of the price of the laptop. If it was really just about swapping out a ram chip I guess somebody could do the soldering job but chances are pretty poor that somebody just has those chips on hand.

That being said I guess it's possible there are some 3rd party mac repair shops out there...

EDIT: Did the original Mac Air have only soldered memory? I feel like there was a version that didn't...
I think the RAM has always been soldered for the Airs.

Went to another Apple Store and they offered to replace the logic board for a flat rate of $280. Pretty damn good deal considering all of the other estimates I've seen from 3rd party repair shops.

I think the RAM has always been soldered for the Airs.

Went to another Apple Store and they offered to replace the logic board for a flat rate of $280. Pretty damn good deal considering all of the other estimates I've seen from 3rd party repair shops.

$280? Damn good. I mean, probably also evidence to go AppleCare but yeah, in your situation I would take that.

Dany

Banned
Wait, Diablo 3 is out on osx as well?! Hmmm, wonder how it will on my 2010 13" MBP. Downloaded Portal 2 today to check out the ugc stuff and it runs surprisingly well.

That is what I have, I have everything set to medium if available or high and turend AA off and it runs great for the most part. Sometimes the framerate dips a lot in the open areas but beyond that it runs well

Cheebo

Banned
New range of iMac's? I hope so.

We are getting new iMacs with retina. But not till WWDC.

Might have been all added on the back-end for when the new line of Retina Macs get revealed in two weeks.

It'd be crazy to release these just two weeks before WWDC. Something huge like retina is best to show at a conference before releasing to generate hype.

JackEtc

I just remembered about those thermostats I keep seeing on various news sites. Do you think it's just down to add those to the site? That would be disappointing.

EDIT: Beaten, I was wrong. Hopes back up!

Cheebo

Banned
It makes literally zero sense to launch the retina Mac line less than two weeks before the big press conference. If Tim Cook's big event wasn't in two weeks I could understand. Especially when he said just last night he is going to show off new products at WWDC.

The only do silent Mac updates on the store when it is just a spec boost, the retina Mac's are a huge upgrade.

Cheebo

Banned
No one in their right mind would expect new Macs to be on sale two weeks before a big Apple event. It was crazy nonsense. You'll have your new special Retina Mac's on June 11th.

Blackhead

Redarse
No one in their right mind would expect new Macs to be on sale two weeks before a big Apple event. It was crazy nonsense. You'll have your new special Retina Mac's on June 11th.
Hey it could have been the rumored new Mac Mini
or Mac Pro
that obviously won't come with a retina display

Cheebo

Banned
Yeah that would be the only thing it could be but since the 11th is so close why not just wait and throw the entire Mac line out there all at once?

RBH

slide4.jpg

The Verge reports that Intel has formally announced its next batch of Ivy Bridge processors, adding 14 new chips including four 17-watt ultra-low voltage processors that could appear in revamped MacBook Air models and several dual-core mobile chips that could be included in updated Mac mini and 13-inch MacBook Pro machines. Engadget has the full details on the new chips, which also include six new desktop processors.

Intel's announcement comes in line with the previously leaked timeline that saw the first batch of quad-core desktop and mobile processors launch in late April, with the second round focused on dual-core and low-voltage chips coming in early June.

With over 25 new Ivy Bridge chips now available, Apple now appears to have a number of options to upgrade its entire Mac product line. Apple is expected to use Ivy Bridge throughout its Mac lineup with the exception of the Mac Pro, which would take advantage of Sandy Bridge E server chips released in early March should Apple choose to issue an update to that line.

Apple is expected to introduce a redesigned MacBook Pro at next month's Worldwide Developers Conference, and it seems likely that updates to other lines will come either at the same or soon after, as the new Ivy Bridge chips put Apple in a prime position to update its aging Mac lineup.
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/31...-and-ultra-low-voltage-ivy-bridge-processors/

CFMOORE!

i am trying to breathe a little bit of extra life out of my 5+ year old MBP. It is Core 2 Duo and I wanted to upgrade the standard 120gb harddrive with a SSD one. Can you guys recommend me a good one. I figure 120gb is still fine as I never got close to filling up the standard one.

thanks!

Karud

i am trying to breathe a little bit of extra life out of my 5+ year old MBP. It is Core 2 Duo and I wanted to upgrade the standard 120gb harddrive with a SSD one. Can you guys recommend me a good one. I figure 120gb is still fine as I never got close to filling up the standard one.

thanks!

I'm still using a Late 2006 MBP 2,33Ghz as well and recently upgraded to SSD. The speedbump is amazing. I got a 256GB SSD from Samsung for 170€ at amazon. So fast...

thanks!
I knowhow it feels. 6+ years old iMac here. Though I am totally just buying something today.

Dennis

Banned
So the new 2880 x 1800 Retina Display Macbook Pros with up to 16GB RAM is old news on GAF, right?

15.4 inch smallest version.

I asked in the conference thread but it's moving really fast: what does everyone think of that abnormally long iPhone/Pod that kept popping up? Early look at the 5? New iPod that will be released soon? Weird that they showed it multiple times and didn't really mention it.

LProtag

That retina is just too massively expensive for me.

I'm debating if I should even upgrade my 2009 13-inch Pro.

No idea what to do.

Alchemy

Think I'm getting an 11 inch Air, but debating if I want to upgrade to the i7. I've heard of heating issues in the i7s before, do I bite on it or keep the i5?

Circle T

Think I'm getting an 11 inch Air, but debating if I want to upgrade to the i7. I've heard of heating issues in the i7s before, do I bite on it or keep the i5?

I have the 1.8 i7 in my 11", and it's fine in normal use. Perfectly silent, and cool to the touch. The only time it ever gets hot is if I'm playing games. I've been surprised at how well it runs Diablo 3. I had to turn things down to low or off, but I'm not a graphics snob, and with that small of a screen, it's totally playable. When I get done playing that, the fan will be spinning at ~6500rpm and it will be pretty warm up by the function keys, but it's never shutdown or anything from getting too hot.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Did they take out the disc drive in the non-retina MBP?

No. Just put one in a cart and went to checkout to be sure.

U0HXS.png

superdrive is still there.

I asked in the conference thread but it's moving really fast: what does everyone think of that abnormally long iPhone/Pod that kept popping up? Early look at the 5? New iPod that will be released soon? Weird that they showed it multiple times and didn't really mention it.
Wont come until the fall when ios 6 drops. most likely.

RDreamer

No. Just put one in a cart and went to checkout to be sure.

U0HXS.png

superdrive is still there.

Alright, thanks. I was worried when I didn't see it anywhere. I think the 15" non-retina is the one for me, then. I need the HDD space and the optical drive.

For curiosity sake, how well would one of the 13" versions play Diablo 3? Anyone know?

Also, is this the sort of thing that they're selling like right now? Can I walk into an Apple store and get it now? I really don't know how this works, since I've never upgraded my laptop right when they did.

Dennis

Banned
The new pimped out Retina Display Macbook Pro with 16 GB RAM and the best processor is......ridiculously expensive.

I can afford it.....but do I want to feel like a chump?

bionic77

The new pimped out Retina Display Macbook Pro with 16 GB RAM and the best processor is......ridiculously expensive.

I can afford it.....but do I want to feel like a chump?
Since I travel a shit load I prefer the Airs now. Portability triumphs power and res for me.

If you can afford it and want it buy it. It is bleeding edge tech and is going to be expensive. Otherwise I would wait for the 2nd revision as that is when Apple usually perfects it.

Top Bottom