• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

I guess I'm going to wait for the AMEX card to get here before I order the MBPr. The extra year of warranty for free is too good to give up. With Applecare that comes out to 4 years of warranty.

Are you sure that's the policy? I have the Costco Rewards AMEX card, and I think they only add a year of warranty to a maximum of 2 years total coverage.

Waaghals

I've been thinking about buying the "cheapest" retina Macbook for school work and occasional gaming. I intedn to dual boot Windows.

The 650m in the laptop is technically good enough, but I'm worried about heat problems due to the thickness of the computer.

Is the GPU underclocked, as far as we know? Is there any risk of overheating while gaming in a windows environment? I don't care if it gets hot, as long as it doesn't shut down or downclock.

FrigidEh

Does anyone know why its asking for admin rights when trying to move things to the trash, I've tried doing things with terminal but so far it hasn't done a thing.

Running lion on an iMac btw.

Ambitious

Does anyone know why its asking for admin rights when trying to move things to the trash, I've tried doing things with terminal but so far it hasn't done a thing.

Running lion on an iMac btw.

Mine doesn't ask - have you tried repairing the permissions?
I have a different problem though (even since Lion): Whereas I can move new apps to the Applications folder without problems, I can't replace an existing one. It neither shows the "Replace file?" dialog nor does it ask for permissions or anything.

Finally got my Mountain Lion download code last night. Loaded it up through a 16 GB USB 3.0 drive on a rMBP while doing some archiving on a 13” Mac Book.

Initial impressions SSD of course is ridiculously fast can’t wait to finish setup my external 2TB drive and see what type of PC gaming I can get away with on this thing.

According to Macrumors someone posted you can play Max Payne 3 through an external drive at 7200 RPM.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Are you sure that's the policy? I have the Costco Rewards AMEX card, and I think they only add a year of warranty to a maximum of 2 years total coverage.

I'm looking into now :S

I'll probably be making a Windows 7 Partition of 80 GB and then leaving 170 GB for Mac OSX.

VPhys

Do you have an Apple Store nearby? I'm sure if you told the Genius bar people your issue they'd let you download it on their network in store and toss it on a USB key or something.

Thanks, that was the next step but I finally did get it working. Had to leave the computer on overnight and disable all sleep modes and that seemed to get the job done. I did get a couple of errors along the way but luckily it resumed where it left off.

So first impressions of mountain lion: much much smoother scrolling in Safari. Also dictation seems to be working quite well, even better than on the iPad 3.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I guess I'm going to wait for the AMEX card to get here before I order the MBPr. The extra year of warranty for free is too good to give up. With Applecare that comes out to 4 years of warranty.
No it doesn't. It's still three. Or two without Apple Care.

100GBs, and I've got a 512GB SSD. Gonna get a 1TB USB3 drive when I can for games, though.

Thanks. I think I'm going to go the route of picking up a USB3 drive for any games I want to play on my Windows partition. Does anyone know if I literally would only run games on a W7 partition and don't care about installing anything else besides W7 itself, what is the smallest size I can get away with for said partition? I'd like to leave as much of my 256 gb ssd for OS X as I can. I'm sure I'm putting too much thought into that, as I will probably never come close to filling the drive up, but I was just curious.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Thanks. I think I'm going to go the route of picking up a USB3 drive for any games I want to play on my Windows partition. Does anyone know if I literally would only run games on a W7 partition and don't care about installing anything else besides W7 itself, what is the smallest size I can get away with for said partition? I'd like to leave as much of my 256 gb ssd for OS X as I can. I'm sure I'm putting too much thought into that, as I will probably never come close to filling the drive up, but I was just curious.
That was my question too. I was going to settle on at least 80GB for Windows.

That was my question too. I was going to settle on at least 80GB for Windows.

Knowing that people have been able to run games off an external drive, I just want to make my Windows partition big enough for the OS and any updates for W7 I might need to download. I assume that I can just install Steam on an external drive, and have it download all of my games to that drive as well. If I am correct about that, I don't see why I couldn't get away with something like a 30gb partition for Windows and leaving almost 200gb free for OS X to have.

So I got my apple tv in the mail today, and it's pretty cool, no real mind blowing moments. But I was watching some youtube stuff on my iPad and I thought why not try this AirPlay thing out...

Oh

Mah

Gawd

TUSR

Banned
I'd go for 8gb. Can't imagine needing 16gb for gaming on a mac in the next 5 years. If you were into heavy photo/video editing then perhaps 16gb would be justified?

Speaking of gaming...what are some games that run well on a mac? I installed Diablo 3 and it runs like trash on retina resolution. Starcraft 2 runs pretty well after tweaking the resolution and settings.

Yeah, your processor will bottle neck with what you're doing before you cap out on ram usage.

Sye d'Burns

Finally got my Mountain Lion download code last night. Loaded it up through a 16 GB USB 3.0 drive on a rMBP while doing some archiving on a 13” Mac Book.

Initial impressions SSD of course is ridiculously fast can’t wait to finish setup my external 2TB drive and see what type of PC gaming I can get away with on this thing.

According to Macrumors someone posted you can play Max Payne 3 through an external drive at 7200 RPM.

I play games all the time on a 7200rpm drive through firewire 800. I've not played Max Payne 3 but I have no trouble with games like Skyrim, Civ V or Crusader Kings 2. My steam install is set to that drive, so I play most everything on it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I keep being impressed by Retina MBP doing tasks that you'd not normally expect a sleek laptop like this to do.

Last night tried playing BF3 under Win7. 1280x720p, attached to TV, everything at high with somethings on Ultra. 30-60FPS, plays great.

Alchemy

I keep being impressed by Retina MBP doing tasks that you'd not normally expect a sleek laptop like this to do.

Last night tried playing BF3 under Win7. 1280x720p, attached to TV, everything at high with somethings on Ultra. 30-60FPS, plays great.

I would think a good number of laptops could manage that performance at that resolution. I think the biggest thing is that Retina chucks out the disc drive to save on space. I think I would still prefer a regular MBP with an SSD and replacing the disc drive with a fatter HDD for storage to keep the size.

Ninja Dom

Hi y'all.

I got a late 2008 MacBook. It's the aluminium 13 inch MacBook they made before the called the 13 inch a MacBook Pro.

Anyone put 8GB and an SSD in this machine yet? If so then how is performance?

Hi y'all.

I got a late 2008 MacBook. It's the aluminium 13 inch MacBook they made before the called the 13 inch a MacBook Pro.

I've got a 2010 with the same core 2 duo processor. I put 8gb and a vertex 2 SSD (sata 2 only). It was night and day. As tempting as getting an Air is, even with my shitty processor I can't justify it cause everything is instant now. Unless you need CPU specific things like encoding etc just do it.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Hi y'all.

your boot and application launch times will improve greatly. you'll still notice stuttering on some flash/HTML5 heavy sites while browsing, or anything that hammers your CPU constantly.

the SSD is a worthy upgrade since its easily portable to your next system. 8GB of DDR2 might be harder to justify, though.

Blackhead

Redarse
holy fucking shit

They added more build to order options for the Retina.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/08/01/more-build-to-order-options-arrive-for-retina-macbook-pros/

*sigh* sucks to be an early adopter.

MagSafe 2
Ignore the Code said:
David Pogue:
The MagSafe 2 connector fails that balance test. Badly. The magnet is too weak. It’s so weak, it keeps falling out. It falls out if you brush it. It falls out if you tip the laptop slightly. It falls out if you look at it funny. It’s a huge, huge pain.

That weakness is compounded by a second problem: a return to the “T” design of older MagSafe connectors. In other words, this thing comes straight into the side of the laptop — the cable shoots out at 90 degrees — instead of hugging the side with the cord parallel, like the old “L” connectors. As a result, it protrudes a half inch beyond the left edge. You can’t rest the left side of the laptop on your thigh. It’s constantly getting bumped. And since the magnet has all the grip strength of an elderly gnat, guess what happens?

I ordered a Retina display MacBook the moment Apple announced them, and received it shortly thereafter. I had it for about two days, when the following happened.

The MacBook was sitting on my desk. I moved it a few inches to the left. This caused the power cable to bump against a book sitting on my desk. Which, in turn, caused the MagSafe connector to fall out of its socket. The cable, coming straight out of the connector, then pushed it on top of my MacBook:

OfgRm.jpg

Not having noticed what had happened, I closed the screen. Apparently, the glass on Apple’s new screens is really thin, because it immediately broke. (1)

LPTzU.jpg

Obviously, I should have been more careful. But with either an L-shaped connector or the MagSafe 1’s stronger magnets, this probably wouldn’t have happened. And perhaps the thicker glass on the older MacBooks would have survived this accident. Tiny design decisions can add up.

(1) Interestingly, the people at the Apple store said they couldn’t yet repair or replace Retina screens. This was on June 30. The broken MacBook is still sitting on my desk, waiting for Apple to figure out how to repair it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I do with they'd stuck with the L shape. I had the T on my original 2007 MacBook and it would pop out all the time. Now the 2 is even thinner and seemingly weaker holding. I haven't really played around with the plug yet.

Also, the new BTO options don't affect me. I wouldn't have upgraded anything but the RAM anyway. And even now I'm thinking I might not even need to upgrade that. It would make it easier if I leave it at 8 as any replacements can be instant and even buying it might be instant if the store has it in stock at the time.

Planning on buying or at least ordering my Retina or Air (Whichever I decide on in the eleventh hour) this week or next.

Cudder

So is it normal that it takes my MBPr 5 seconds or so to "unfreeze" when opening the lid/waking it and trying to type in my password to login? It was instant on my 2008 model..

hobart

Interested to see some suggestions to Mac's annoying Mouse Driver "bug." I used to use mice flawlessly... I wonder if it's a problem specific to the mouse I use (logitech g9).

For anyone that isn't familiar... there is a bit of a speed issue with OSX and the mouse itself. Really a bother when you are playing games as it doesn't respond a smoothly as it does on a PC.

The wakeup freeze for me (admittedly not the MBPr) is just a side effect of what level of sleep the laptop is in. If it's been asleep overnight it's in deep sleep and takes some time to restore. If I just closed the lid 10 minutes ago then it's back and responsive more or less right away.

OG Kush

Hey guys I'm going to Uni end of septemember and want to get a laptop. Is it cool if I order it now or should I wait till closer the time? are they going to add/update any of the laptops?

Cudder

Hey guys I'm going to Uni end of septemember and want to get a laptop. Is it cool if I order it now or should I wait till closer the time? are they going to add/update any of the laptops?
They just added a couple more upgrade options on the store so I guess now is a good a time as any.

gokieks

So is it normal that it takes my MBPr 5 seconds or so to "unfreeze" when opening the lid/waking it and trying to type in my password to login? It was instant on my 2008 model..

My 2011 MBA will appear to freeze for a second or two when I wake it - the first few characters of my password won't appear as I type them, but then it catches up and all the characters are actually there. It was a little disconcerting at first because it makes you think you might not have entered the entire password, but I've gotten used to it and now just start typing the password and press enter, and haven't had any issues.

Shanks

When I bought a MacBook Pro in 2010, I got a snow leapord disc. If I was to buy a new MacBook air now with lion, how would I get my os install backup? Do I get a download code or a USB stick?

Quick

Banned
When I bought a MacBook Pro in 2010, I got a snow leapord disc. If I was to buy a new MacBook air now with lion, how would I get my os install backup? Do I get a download code or a USB stick?

A code. It's exclusively on the Mac App Store.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
They just refreshed all their laptops so now is as good a time as any. The only thing you might see new before the end of the year is a retina 13 inch MacBook pro, but I wouldnt bet on it.

Buy before the back to school promo ends so you can get the normal student discount and the 100 app store gift card.

Zapages

Hey guys,

I just got my Mac book retina in today!!!

Thank you everyone for the help in regards the hard drive space. It was exactly what I ordered... . I was wondering should I update to Mountain lion or do a clean install...

Also I have the LG display. :\ What should I be wary about... So far no yellow tint, I have placed a regular plain blue background... I am thinking of taking the Plasma approach to breaking in the screen and then go from there.

What do you guys think about this?

Also what are the best apps to buy from the App store.

Thank you guys in advance. :)

JackEtc

Mine occasionally does this. Usually it's pretty instant though. I don't really worry about it.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
You have a recovery partition and Internet restore. You could put a brand new un-formatted ssd in it and restore as long as you have an Internet connection. This is faster than DVD install if you have a good connection.

If you want redundancy you can create your own bootable USB with the installation from the app store download for ML.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
You have a recovery partition and Internet restore. You could put a brand new un-formatted ssd in it and restore as long as you have an Internet connection. This is faster than DVD install if you have a good connection.

If you want redundancy you can create your own bootable USB with the installation from the app store download for ML.
Well, if you remove the drive that's in there now, you will need to get ML onto the new drive because the recovery partition is on the drive the OS is installed onto. Best to make the USB stick. You'll need one 8GB at least to fit. Shame since it's only 4.5GB or so, but they don't make 5GB drives so you need to round up to the next size available.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Well, if you remove the drive that's in there now, you will need to get ML onto the new drive because the recovery partition is on the drive the OS is installed onto. Best to make the USB stick. You'll need one 8GB at least to fit. Shame since it's only 4.5GB or so, but they don't make 5GB drives so you need to round up to the next size available.

I was just saying you could completely bork your drive and still recover from nothing with Internet recovery on the newer laptops. You don't NEED the partition or a bootable USB. Both would be faster than internet recovery obviously since you would need to download the installation otherwise.

I am curious how internet recovery will work on machines purchased with lion installed but updated to ML. "texas two step" I imagine :(

whitehawk

Banned
Hey GAF. I have Windows 8 bootcamped on my iMac. Everything works perfectly except 2 things.

1. The volume is super super low, barely audible. Don't know how to turn it up.
2. The scrolling on my magic mouse doesn't work.

Anyone know any solutions to these? I figure it's because Windows 8 isn't officially supported, but was wondering If there were any work-arounds.

Top Bottom