• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

noah111

Still Alive
So guys, just how bad is this?;

c2Xjw.png

Isn't that sort of a dangerous number of cycles? What's the max before it'll start giving out?

whitehawk

Banned
New page. Hey GAF. I have Windows 8 bootcamped on my iMac. Everything works perfectly except 2 things.

1. The volume is super super low, barely audible. Don't know how to turn it up.
2. The scrolling on my magic mouse doesn't work.

Anyone know any solutions to these? I figure it's because Windows 8 isn't officially supported, but was wondering If there were any work-arounds.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
More options was an inevitability once they got production at a decent pace.

Is the 2.3 Ghz to 2.6 Ghz for $90 a no brainer upgrade? This is with the education discount.

The 512 GB hard drive is $450 with Education discounts.

Why are you making my decision harder Apple!

More options was an inevitability once they got production at a decent pace.

Is the 2.3 Ghz to 2.6 Ghz for $90 a no brainer upgrade? This is with the education discount.

The 512 GB hard drive is $450 with Education discounts.

Why are you making my decision harder Apple!

Seems like a pretty huge upgrade to me. Especially as sometimes companies charge more than that for like a .1GHz upgrade.

Jubern

I'm getting a Macbook Air 13" real soon, like next week. First Mac!

In anticipation of the low, low stockage though, I bought a WD Passport 1To. Reading the box, it finally dawned on me that Mac doesn't support NTFS and vice-versa. I might want to use said drive on both Windows and Mac OSX, what's my best bet? Do I really have to format the thing to FAT32? :(

Any of those should be fine.

Monoprice cables are pretty good.. basically all I use.. for apple TV and every other hdmi device..

thanks

ordered several of these:

Product ID: 3992
6ft 28AWG High Speed HDMI® Cable w/Ferrite Cores - Black

hopefully the quality is good because I'll be suing them for all my devices

LProtag

Looks like they updated the shipping times on the Retina.

Hope this means mine is shipping towards the earlier estimate I got.

gokieks

In anticipation of the low, low stockage though, I bought a WD Passport 1To. Reading the box, it finally dawned on me that Mac doesn't support NTFS and vice-versa. I might want to use said drive on both Windows and Mac OSX, what's my best bet? Do I really have to format the thing to FAT32? :(

You can format it as exFAT. But keep in mind that support for exFAT is limited to only Windows Vista SP1 and newer and MacOS X Snow Leopard 10.6.5 and newer, so if you ever need to use the drive with an older machine or one running another OS, you may want to consider sticking with FAT32 despite its limitations.

Jubern

You can format it as exFAT. But keep in mind that support for exFAT is limited to only Windows Vista SP1 and newer and MacOS X Snow Leopard 10.6.5 and newer, so if you ever need to use the drive with an older machine or one running another OS, you may want to consider sticking with FAT32 despite its limitations.

Probably won't. Every PC I have here uses 7, and I don't think any of my friends have anything with a OS older than Vista either...

exFat doesn't have the limitations of FAT32, right? Is there anything I should know about this format that wouldn't please me, say lower speed for files? Like with NTFS and HFS+, I don't suppose it is supported by game consoles?

Thanks.

gokieks

Probably won't. Every PC I have here uses 7, and I don't think any of my friends have anything with a OS older than Vista either...

exFat doesn't have the limitations of FAT32, right? Is there anything I should know about this format that wouldn't please me? Like with NTFS and HFS+, I don't suppose it is supported by game consoles?

Thanks.

The main limitation for exFAT is support - basically there is very little outside of Windows and MacOS. As far as consoles go, the X360 might support it since exFAT is a Microsoft created format, but I'm not sure. The PS3 definitely doesn't, and I would be shocked if the Wii U did.

Jubern

I'm not sure that I'll ever use the thing on anything beside my MBA once I'm done with the initial transfer of files from my current PC setup. It's really more to be safe. So as long as there's zero problem with OSX and, as a bonus, W7, I'm okay with it.

Thanks man.

Ultima_5

You should probably wait, new models probably aren't far away.

Well my MacBook died last week and I need a new computer for school which starts in 2 weeks. Plus I plan on getting during the student tax free week thing.

Whats going to be in the new computers?

njean777

Well my MacBook died last week and I need a new computer for school which starts in 2 weeks. Plus I plan on getting during the student tax free week thing.

Whats going to be in the new computers?

you didnt hear? The new computers can give you blowjobs.

Probably just a spec bump to be honest, maybe a redesign? Don't plan on retina though.

Ultima_5

you didnt hear? The new computers can give you blowjobs.

Probably just a spec bump to be honest, maybe a redesign? Don't plan on retina though.

Ah that's fine then. While I like retina on my phone, it doesn't seem all that necessary for computers. Atleast not yet. Current screens are plenty nice and quite a step up from my 07 mbp.

Zapages

I have couple small issues with mac book pro retina or the operating system...

1) There is no uninstall option at all in Macs OSX. WTF! So I got appcleaner... That should be good right guys?

2) I have graphpad 5 (technically is a school copy (Multi-license) that my professor gave to me. The problem is under Mountain Lion. It does not recognize that I already have admin privileges. I already checked under system preferences... As last resort effort, I downloaded trial version of Graphpad 5 and that would not work either as it though I was not an admin... I even tried to run it through root. through (Launch as Root app) to no avail.

Apparently Graph 6 trial works... But seriously. :( I don't have 500 dollars to spend on this application nor does my professor/mentor. :(

I was liking OSX so much, I was thinking of not even installing windows7 on it through bootcamp.. But I will not have choice now. :( Unless someone can help me install it and have Graphpad prism show that it is running under administrator control.

If they can get the graphpad prism 5 trial to work that would be awesome:

Here's the demo that I found for 5: http://www.hearne.com.au/products/graphpad_prism/demos/

Thank you.:)

Cudder

1) There is no uninstall option at all in Macs OSX. WTF! So I got appcleaner... That should be good right guys?

2) I have graphpad 5 (technically is a school copy (Multi-license) that my professor gave to me. The problem is under Mountain Lion. It does not recognize that I already have admin privileges. I already checked under system preferences... As last resort effort, I downloaded trial version of Graphpad 5 and that would not work either as it though I was not an admin... I even tried to run it through root. through (Launch as Root app) to no avail.

Apparently Graph 6 trial works... But seriously. :( I don't have 500 dollars to spend on this application nor does my professor/mentor. :(

I was liking OSX so much, I was thinking of not even installing windows7 on it through bootcamp.. But I will not have choice now. :( Unless someone can help me install it and have Graphpad prism show that it is running under administrator control.

Here's the demo that I found for 5: http://www.hearne.com.au/products/graphpad_prism/demos/

There is no "uninstall" in OSX. Simply drag your application to the trash. You can keep the .dmg file if you ever want the app again.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
There is no "uninstall" in OSX.* Simply drag your application to the trash. You can keep the .dmg file if you ever want the app again.

* Some apps have uninstall scripts since they'll leave launch agents, extensions and other goodies all over your Mac. Parallels is a fine example of this, Adobe's CS packages as well. Always refer back to the original DMG or Zip your used to install the program, or refer to the software developer's website to verify everything is actually removed.

Zapages

great on uninstalling some applications situation.... >_>

Anyway what do you guys recommend on the graphpad situation? Anyway to get it to work or make the program believe that I truly am in admin mode.(which I am)

VPhys

So guys, just how bad is this?;

c2Xjw.png

Isn't that sort of a dangerous number of cycles? What's the max before it'll start giving out?

How did you get to this screen, is this separate app?

edit: never mind found it through the link above

Sweet, 3 week old rMBP and only 2 battery cycle counts. And one of those was an intentional drain as recommended by Apple.

maxxpower

A bit late on the response, but I just did this same exact thing to my WD 1TB external hard drive. First, on the disk utility on your Mac choose erase and for the format choose Mac OS Extended, after that go to the partition tab and choose two partitions. Delete one of the partitions and you now have a set amount of unallocated space. Use fdisk on Windows to format the unallocated space as NFTS.

There you have it, half of your WD drive is for Mac and the other half for Windows.

Blackhead

Redarse
* Some apps have uninstall scripts since they'll leave launch agents, extensions and other goodies all over your Mac. Parallels is a fine example of this, Adobe's CS packages as well. Always refer back to the original DMG or Zip your used to install the program, or refer to the software developer's website to verify everything is actually removed.
I double check with CleanApp just to be sure.

I checked it out, ran into the same problem as you put this tip solved it:
Step 5: If the privileges of the application support folder are wrong, and you can't fix them with Get Info, use the following Unix terminal commands instead. If you haven't used Terminal before, try to get help from a Mac guru.

1. Run "Terminal" from "[system volume]/Applications/Utilities
  2. In Terminal, type:
    sudo chmod 775 /Library/Application\ Support
    (Note that 'Application' is followed by a backslash and then a space.)
  3. When prompted, type the admin's pasword (same as in the authentification dialog, which appears in installer) and press Enter.
  4. Quit Terminal
  5. Launch Prism

Here's the user guide for uinstalling prism if you're so inclined: GraphPad FAQ 6

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

A bit late on the response, but I just did this same exact thing to my WD 1TB external hard drive. First, on the disk utility on your Mac choose erase and for the format choose Mac OS Extended, after that go to the partition tab and choose two partitions. Delete one of the partitions and you now have a set amount of unallocated space. Use fdisk on Windows to format the unallocated space as NFTS.

There you have it, half of your WD drive is for Mac and the other half for Windows.
Adding to this, make sure to check Tuxera NTFS for Mac. Works great for me with the older external HD I used with my Windows notebook.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
great on uninstalling some applications situation.... >_>

Anyway what do you guys recommend on the graphpad situation? Anyway to get it to work or make the program believe that I truly am in admin mode.(which I am)

Zapages - to make it a bit easier, this is a wonderful bit of freeware that monitors what an application actually installs or leaves behind when removed. It runs a tiny program in the background that keeps track of these files/folders and automatically offers to delete them whenever you drag an app to the trashcan. you can also directly choose to uninstall an app or other program type from its interface. i've used it for years. it has 2 scorcho thumbs up!

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/25276/appcleaner

Zuly

I need some help, guys. I had enabled FileVault and I now had to turn it off to partition my disk for installing Windows. I turned it off and it automatically restarted to unencrypt. My screen has been stuck here for over four hours and I am locked out of my computer unable to do anything. http://db.tt/MIcUbxqU Posting this from my phone because I don't have access to any computer. Is there a way to cancel it or am I to wait god knows how long until it finishes?

Anyone here got an Airport Express and used it to extend their wireless network?

I wondering if this setup will work:

- Internet comes in (upstairs)
- Pipes to Wireless router (Virgin Superhub)
- Ethernet from wireless router connects to Airport Express (downstairs)
- Airport Express then provides wireless signal in other part of house

It may seem odd adding a wireless airport express by wire, but I can potentially run an RJ45 cable downstairs behind wall and under floorboards to it to provide downstairs with a strong wireless signal.

I assume IF this does work, the airport express will basically act as another router, with name/password etc.

Also, I would like the Airport Express to connect to an amp for airplay music, would that still work if I am using it for extending?

Saya

What gaming mouse would you recommend for a Mac user? I prefer wired. I have good experience with Logitech gear, but I heard some of their mice have issues on Macs now?

Izick

I just can't decide if the extra 270$ is worth it for the newest model of the 13" Air or go with the 2011 model...money is kind of tight right now, I've been stashing amounts away for an Air, I'm just not sure which one to get.

I just can't decide if the extra 270$ is worth it for the newest model of the 13" Air or go with the 2011 model...money is kind of tight right now, I've been stashing amounts away for an Air, I'm just not sure which one to get.
The 11-inch is the ultimate notebook as far as I'm concerned. The joyous portability is worth the loss of screen real estate.

Izick

The 11-inch is the ultimate notebook as far as I'm concerned. The joyous portability is worth the loss of screen real estate.

Couldn't do it. I'm only going to be using this around the house, and it'll be my primary laptop. 11" is just too small. I'm even concerned a bit about going from 15.6 on my current laptop to 13.6.

I bought the 2TB time capsule today, because I was in need of a new wifi router and an external HD to back up my macbook pro

so far so good, it's still crazy how I set up the entire thing on my iPhone and did it so easily. Apple wasn't bullshitting when they say their devices work together seamlessly

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I think I've decided to go with the Air for now. As much as I want the Retina, I think I'd be better off waiting for the technology to mature a bit. The Air will hold me for a while. I play games now that play fine as it is. I don't need the highest processor yet. When the Retina comes out in 13" and faster then I'll jump over to it. For now, I'll save myself $700.

I bought the 2TB time capsule today, because I was in need of a new wifi router and an external HD to back up my macbook pro

so far so good, it's still crazy how I set up the entire thing on my iPhone and did it so easily. Apple wasn't bullshitting when they say their devices work together seamlessly

Worth the 300 dollars?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member

I ended up getting an airport extreme and backing up the MacBook to an external connected to the iMac. Honestly I am disappointed in the implementation and sort of wish I had got the time capsule :/

How fast was your initial backup? Did you do it over wifi or Ethernet?

Worth the 300 dollars?

For me it was absolutely worth the $300. It takes zero effort to set up the wifi (you can do it in a minute on an iOS device if you want to) and the Time Machine set up on the Mac was incredibly pain free.

The initial backup will probably take several hours to overnight depending on how many gigs you backing up.

How fast was your initial backup? Did you do it over wifi or Ethernet?

I did the initial backup via wifi and it took 8 hours to back up 220gigs

Dazzla

Couldn't do it. I'm only going to be using this around the house, and it'll be my primary laptop. 11" is just too small. I'm even concerned a bit about going from 15.6 on my current laptop to 13.6.

I went for the 2011 model and saved a few hundred. Not had a problem running anything. Typical work flow is Evernote, Outlook, RDP, Safari, Messages and iTunes. Flicking between them all whilst full screen. Not a hint of slow down and everything launches instantly. Aperture also handles Nikon D90 RAW files very well, seems much faster than the 2.4GHz i5 HP laptop it has replaced.

You won't regret going for the 2011 at all. If you put the 2 side by side I'm pretty sure you wouldn't tell the difference unless benchmarking.

I used the money saved to buy things like a HDMI adaptor, Ethernet adaptor, neoprene sleeve, Airport etc.

I went for the 2011 model and saved a few hundred. Not had a problem running anything. Typical work flow is Evernote, Outlook, RDP, Safari, Messages and iTunes. Flicking between them all whilst full screen. Not a hint of slow down and everything launches instantly. Aperture also handles Nikon D90 RAW files very well, seems much faster than the 2.4GHz i5 HP laptop it has replaced.

You won't regret going for the 2011 at all. If you put the 2 side by side I'm pretty sure you wouldn't tell the difference unless benchmarking.

I used the money saved to buy things like a HDMI adaptor, Ethernet adaptor, neoprene sleeve, Airport etc.
2011 model gets better battery life too.

Tabris

Does no one here use the thunderbolt display with their laptop? I just need someone to touch the bottom left of the display after using their machine for a couple hours to determine if it's hot or not. I just need a quick answer and there's nothing on google. Even Apple support couldn't answer my question as they apparently only handle "software questions" and I would need to bring it into the Apple Store (huh?).

Does no one here use the thunderbolt display with their laptop? I just need someone to touch the bottom left of the display after using their machine for a couple hours to determine if it's hot or not. I just need a quick answer and there's nothing on google. Even Apple support couldn't answer my question as they apparently only handle "software questions" and I would need to bring it into the Apple Store (huh?).

I have a 2010 MacBook pro, sorry

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I wanted to set up Bootcamp on my 2012 Macbook Air, but decided against it because I don't want to partition the hard drive, since at 120 GB, it's not particularly large to begin with. I read that I can't install Windows 7 to an external hard drive, but only an internal hard drive. Is there a way to swap out my Macbook Air's hard drive with the hard drive I'm using as my external hard drive? I don't know what kind it is, and I'm unsure how to find out.

Top Bottom