• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Recon

Banned
I wanted to set up Bootcamp on my 2012 Macbook Air, but decided against it because I don't want to partition the hard drive, since at 120 GB, it's not particularly large to begin with. I read that I can't install Windows 7 to an external hard drive, but only an internal hard drive. Is there a way to swap out my Macbook Air's hard drive with the hard drive I'm using as my external hard drive? I don't know what kind it is, and I'm unsure how to find out.

Not possible.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
My 24" C2D Aluminum iMac is getting pretty long-in-the-tooth for my tastes. It'd be fine for an every day computer; but it's really starting to bog down when editing 15MP photos, or running more than one video at once. I've found myself using my gaming PC more and more as my "main" computer... and I don't like that ;p

Heck, I used to upgrade OSX versions on release day; and yet I haven't even bothered with Lion.... let alone Mountain Lion.

Now that I have my iPad (along with a 4S), I really want to get the whole "eco system" thing going with iCloud, Time Machine, etc. I think it would be nice to finally get all the hardware and spend the time to get everything working just right.

But I'm at a loss for what to upgrade to. I wish Apple would freaking update the 27" iMac with Retina... but I just don't think it's gonna happen for a while. I hope I'm wrong, though.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
My 24" C2D Aluminum iMac is getting pretty long-in-the-tooth for my tastes. It'd be fine for an every day computer; but it's really starting to bog down when editing 15MP photos, or running more than one video at once. I've found myself using my gaming PC more and more as my "main" computer... and I don't like that ;p

Heck, I used to upgrade OSX versions on release day; and yet I haven't even bothered with Lion.... let alone Mountain Lion.

Now that I have my iPad (along with a 4S), I really want to get the whole "eco system" thing going with iCloud, Time Machine, etc. I think it would be nice to finally get all the hardware and spend the time to get everything working just right.

But I'm at a loss for what to upgrade to. I wish Apple would freaking update the 27" iMac with Retina... but I just don't think it's gonna happen for a while. I hope I'm wrong, though.

I'm waiting for an iMac update, too.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I wanted to set up Bootcamp on my 2012 Macbook Air, but decided against it because I don't want to partition the hard drive, since at 120 GB, it's not particularly large to begin with. I read that I can't install Windows 7 to an external hard drive, but only an internal hard drive. Is there a way to swap out my Macbook Air's hard drive with the hard drive I'm using as my external hard drive? I don't know what kind it is, and I'm unsure how to find out.
I know how you feel. 128GB is tiny. I'm never going less than 256 from now on.

Alternatively you can use Parallels and run it as a Virtual Machine instead if you really have to. But it's not going to be as fast.

Jubern

I'm also wondering whether or not I should do a bootcamp partition on my MBA with 128 gigs...

The only thing I want it for is to play PSO2, would something like 20 gigs be enough for a bootcamp partition ? What size do you guys usually recommend for the partition with just W7?

Finally ordered BTW. MBA 2012 13" entry with 8 gigs of ram. For some reason it looks like I won't get it until the 17th at least though, says the site :(

Blackhead

Redarse
Thank you GreyFace. :) That worked like a charm. YAYAYA. :)

Would guys recommend buying Office 2011 Mac University???

It doesn't support the retina graphics right now (albeit neither does iWork :|) and isn't not going to be upgraded with some features of the Windows version anytime soon. Since you're going to be installing Parallels anyway I suggest you get the Windows version instead. The Windows Office suite also comes with more apps, most notably OneNote. You can try the Office 15 Preview for free right now before deciding to buy the Windows or Mac version.

giga

It doesn't support the retina graphics right now (albeit neither does iWork :|) and isn't not going to be upgraded with some features of the Windows version anytime soon. Since you're going to be installing Parallels anyway I suggest you get the Windows version instead. The Windows Office suite also comes with more apps, most notably OneNote. You can try the Office 15 Preview for free right now before deciding to buy the Windows or Mac version.
Pretty sure it was updated.

Zapages

All best buy have Office 2011 Mac University for 80 dollars this week... I think that is a steal... Should I go for it?

Office 15 preview is only for Windows... :\ I own Office 2007, so I am good on the Windows front...

Aside from that, I don't really care for notification... Microsoft will update Office 2011 for Mac like they update their Office brand on Windows platform, correct?

Izick

Not sure if I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but would it be possible to run Blizzard games on the Macbook Air 2011? I really don't care about any PC gaming (hmm, is it still "PC" gaming if it's on a Mac?) besides checking out Diablo III or Starcraft II.

Blackhead

Redarse
All best buy have Office 2011 Mac University for 80 dollars this week... I think that is a steal... Should I go for it?

Office 15 preview is only for Windows... :\ I own Office 2007, so I am good on the Windows front...

Aside from that, I don't really care for notification... Microsoft will update Office 2011 for Mac like they update their Office brand on Windows platform, correct?

Yeah for $80 you might as well. Office Mac team doesn't update at the same frequency as the Office Windows team.

njean777

Not sure if I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but would it be possible to run Blizzard games on the Macbook Air 2011? I really don't care about any PC gaming (hmm, is it still "PC" gaming if it's on a Mac?) besides checking out Diablo III or Starcraft II.

You can run them, but the 2012 version will be a lot better at it. The 2011 has the HD3000 which wasnt that good at all, but Diablo is playable on everything low with shadows turned off, never tried starcraft, but I would assume it would be playable at low with shadows off also.

Yeah for $80 you might as well. Office Mac team doesn't update at the same frequency as the Office Windows team.

You can say that again, still waiting for a Retina update. But I dont expect it till the next version of Office for Mac at the rate they update.

Eh, I guess it's not a big deal. I don't play the games I own on my consoles enough as it is.

I got office for Mac when I got my MacBook pro Christmas 2010, there have been many small performance and maintenance updates and the huge lion update which had full screen support. I'm not sure what else you could ask for, those saying Microsoft rarely updates and supports Mac office are lying

Blackhead

Redarse
I got office for Mac when I got my MacBook pro Christmas 2010, there have been many small performance and maintenance updates and the huge lion update which had full screen support. I'm not sure what else you could ask for, those saying Microsoft rarely updates and supports Mac office are lying

Microsoft to deliver Office for Mac 2011 SkyDrive update, no new 2013 edition
Microsoft has confirmed that it plans to release an update to Office for Mac 2011 that will support the company's cloud-based SkyDrive storage. Similar to Office 2013, Microsoft's update will let Mac users access SkyDrive or Office 365 to save and retrieve documents. The update, which will be available at the launch of Office 2013, will also mean Office for Mac licenses can count towards an Office 365 Home Premium subscription.

Discussing the possibility of a future Office for Mac edition, Microsoft confirmed to us that there is no Office for Mac 2013 release planned. "We haven’t announced the next release of Office for Mac," says a Microsoft spokesperson. Office 2013, available for Windows 7 and Windows 8 PCs, will include support for a new streaming version of Office with a focus on cloud features. Microsoft last rolled out a Service Pack 2 update to its Office for Mac 2011 software in April — patching some previous Outlook issues. Office 2013 and the Office for Mac 2011 update are both expected to ship early next year.

giga

They've yet to add auto save and versions support. Full screen was added 9 months after Lion came out. I wonder how long it will take them to add retina support.

The only reason I have Office is for maintaing full docx formatting and excel.

LCfiner

I wasn't aware of an Intel chip with 10X the power of the current chips being ready for next year.

that seems... wrong.

performance gains have been pretty predictable, going up in small steps.

As for the retina screen, well, that could be a reason to wait. but it might not hit the airs soon and battery power is a big reason for that. the MBPr needs a massive, massive battery (around 25% larger than the regular 15" pro) to keep the battery life the same and the screen is a big reason for that. ditto with the new ipad vs the old one.

a retina screen MBA would need to have a massive battery or else take a big hit in battery life. especially the 11" model. So i wouldn't be surprised if those take a bit longer to come to market as display tech gets better and power consumption of both the display and chips goes down.

a 13" MBPr seems like it would be out sooner if you want that retina screen in a less expensive, smaller form factor than the current 15" model.

Izick

I don't really "need" a retina-screen, but the points they were talking about made me hesitant to pick up a 2011-12 model if next year's model would be easily much better.

LCfiner

I don't really "need" a retina-screen, but the points they were talking about made me hesitant to pick up a 2011-12 model if next year's model would be easily much better.

Ever since the Air got the i5 with last year's model, it's been a very good performer. this new model increases GPU performance a lot and SSD performance.

I skimmed through the review and they said that next year's model will have potentialy 10X GPU performance with Haswell. not 10X overall performance. careful.

so what we got is that next year's version will be faster and possibly have a better screen (which will need the much better GPU just to keep pace).

if you need one now, get it now. if you don't need one now. wait till next year.

VPhys

For those that don't know chrome has been updated for the retina MacBook Pro, I stumbled upon it by accident since I was watching the Olympics and only chrome supported Adobe flash. Sneaky google.

Izick

Ever since the Air got the i5 with last year's model, it's been a very good performer. this new model increases GPU performance a lot and SSD performance.

I skimmed through the review and they said that next year's model will have potentialy 10X GPU performance with Haswell. not 10X overall performance. careful.

so what we got is that next year's version will be faster and possibly have a better screen (which will need the much better GPU just to keep pace).

if you need one now, get it now. if you don't need one now. wait till next year.

I mean I don't need one, because I currently have a laptop, but I'm just not sure if I should wait or not. Will it still be around 1200$ most likely for the 13" next year?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Everyone's saying to wait for next year because of Intels roadmap. If yo can wait, do. But this year's models aren't bad. I'd rather get the new Air now then maybe upgrade in a year or two when the 13" Retina Pros are out. No reason to really wait. But if you can, then wait.

Izick

Everyone's saying to wait for next year because of Intels roadmap. If yo can wait, do. But this year's models aren't bad. I'd rather get the new Air now then maybe upgrade in a year or two when the 13" Retina Pros are out. No reason to really wait. But if you can, then wait.

I mean I guess I can, I was excited to get an Air though, but I guess there isn't a real necessity to do so. Do you think Retina air will come out next year?

tylerf

How much better are the 2012 MBA compared to 2011 MBA? I could get a couple hundred dollars off going with 2011, but is it worth it? The money saved isn't life and death or anything, but I'd still like to be frugal.

Izick

How much better are the 2012 MBA compared to 2011 MBA? I could get a couple hundred dollars off going with 2011, but is it worth it? The money saved isn't life and death or anything, but I'd still like to be frugal.

I was in this same situation, and it seems that the general consensus is that about 300$ extra isn't worth it for the 2012 model. Everyone is telling me to wait for the next year's model though.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
If you are going to go last years model look to buy a used one from an upgrader.

I got my late 2011 MBP that way a few weeks ago. Hundreds less and still has 2.5 years of apple care left.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I mean I guess I can, I was excited to get an Air though, but I guess there isn't a real necessity to do so. Do you think Retina air will come out next year?
Depends. They would need to get a display thin enough and a video chip powerful and small enough. The Pros will all have them before the Airs do. And I have a doubt they will be in the 2013 models. Maybe 2014? I'd rather get the 13" Pro Retina when it comes out with its slight extra weight but much better power.

gokieks

Was watching this review of the 2012 Air model(s) by Tested and I'm starting to have second thoughts. They said it might be best to wait it out for next year's version of the air, which could possibly have some Intel chip with 10x the power, and a retina-screen.

What do you all think?

Haswell (next gen Intel CPU) is strongly rumored to be a huge increase in graphics performance, which is likely what they're referring to. That GPU performance increase is probably necessary for a Retina screen on the MBA, but while the use of Haswell CPUs in next gen MBA is almost certain, whether or not it will have a Retina display is a lot more questionable.

As for whether or not you should wait, there's always something better around the corner, so it makes very little sense to wait if you need a laptop now - there's no guarantee that the next model will necessarily have the features you want, or cost the price you expect.

Izick

Amazon sellers. The downside of buying used is you need to be patient to wait for a good price, and there is a matter of what condition the item is in etc.
Oh, so you bought it used? I'm just worried that I'll get ripped-off if I buy used, unless it's from Apple them self. I don't want there to be any dings or scratches.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, so you bought it used? I'm just worried that I'll get ripped-off if I buy used, unless it's from Apple them self. I don't want there to be any dings or scratches.
Yeah, mine ended up being in great condition, but i was extremely selective of the ones I looked at and that is always a concern.

Just had to take my iMac in for a HDD S.M.A.R.T. failure. The repair shop replaced the HDD entirely. Still have AppleCare until next February. My HDD used to make very audible crunching noises when I would launch an app, click on a web page or do anything that I assume accessed the HDD.

Since getting my Mac back a few days ago, it's been whisper quiet even when launching apps and rendering video, stuff that used to make it sound crazy. Is this normal behavior?

kaioshade

Just had to take my iMac in for a HDD S.M.A.R.T. failure. The repair shop replaced the HDD entirely. Still have AppleCare until next February. My HDD used to make very audible crunching noises when I would launch an app, click on a web page or do anything that I assume accessed the HDD.

Since getting my Mac back a few days ago, it's been whisper quiet even when launching apps and rendering video, stuff that used to make it sound crazy. Is this normal behavior?

Very normal. Hard drives make various noises reading/writing data, but you generally should not be able to hear them without putting your ear close and listening for it.

Someone on Mac Rumors made a mockup of an even smaller mini they dubbed the micro.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=15400089&postcount=1

I love it although as my friend told me, it would probably have to run an ULV processor (which wouldn't be terrible since MBAs run them and they get better each year)

What do you folks think about the Minis eventually going to soldered RAM and flash storage like the Airs and rMBPs?

That would be cool. And like you said, one with soldered RAM and flash storage is surely the way the machine will go? That would be awesome. I guess it could be a fair bit smaller...

I really hope we get a new iMac soon, think I'll have to get one :)

njean777

You know I dont see them placing retina displays in the air, now call me crazy but the 13in Pro is the model that sells the most units. I think they will leave the Retina to the MBP line and leave the airs for people that dont want to pay the bit extra for the retina MBP. That is just a thought, but I could be totally wrong.

The way I see it they have two options, drop the 13in pro and just leave the airs and 15in MBPr. Or make a reason to buy a pro over an air for the people who want better then an air, but still a somewhat light full power notebook.

Tobor

You know I dont see them placing retina displays in the air, now call me crazy but the 13in Pro is the model that sells the most units. I think they will leave the Retina to the MBP line and leave the airs for people that dont want to pay the bit extra for the retina MBP. That is just a thought, but I could be totally wrong.

The way I see it they have two options, drop the 13in pro and just leave the airs and 15in MBPr. Or make a reason to buy a pro over an air for the people who want better then an air, but still a somewhat light full power notebook.

The entire Mac lineup will eventually be Retina. It's only a matter of time. It will take a year, maybe two to complete the transition, and that's only because of production restraints.

Top Bottom