• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAD MAX |OT| Beyond Thunderpoon

Starfield

I dunno what kinda issues those "reviewers" have, imo this game is amazing. Maybe not a 9 or 10 but a solid 7.5-8 easily

JRW

The same thing happened with Alien: Isolation, toasters could handle it at 1080/60 but PS4 was locked to 30, and XB1 was either not 1080p or 1080p but with horrible stuttering (I don't remember).

Wow really, yea I played through Isolation on a GTX 480 on Ultra (one of the last games I played on the 480 before finally upgrading) it was pegged 60fps @1080P lol.

I'm roughly little over 4 hours of playtime, so far I've been having a great time with it.
Issues I do have is, Max's movement is a bit off, seems like I'm playing stop and go. Also it seems that he has more dialogue in the first few hours of the game, compare to the four films. Some of the HUD stuff is also unnecessary.
Car combat is fun, once when I start upgrading more and more, its just gonna get better.
On foot combat is decent.
Playing on PS4 and visually it looks fantastic, no issues with : frame rate, pop ins, or screen tearing.

Got MGS V on my desk still sealed up, gonna start that Friday, pains me to sit on for a few days,

Also have anyone connect their WB account to MM? Whats the bonus unlock for doing so?

JCtheMC

Early game spoiler, maybe:
Anyway, has anyone figured how to
refuel the balloon near
Jeet's Stronghold?

I'm roughly little over 4 hours of playtime, so far I've been having a great time with it.
Issues I do have is, Max's movement is a bit off, seems like I'm playing stop and go. Also it seems that he has more dialogue in the first few hours of the game, compare to the four films. Some of the HUD stuff is also unnecessary.
Car combat is fun, once when I start upgrading more and more, its just gonna get better.
Playing on PS4 and visually it looks fantastic, no issues with : frame rate, pop ins, or screen tearing.

Got MGS V on my desk still sealed up, gonna start that Friday, pains me to sit on for a few days,

Also have anyone connect their WB account to MM? Whats the bonus unlock for doing so?

Thanks for the update on the screen tearing. Glad they've vsync'd it

Early game spoiler, maybe:
Anyway, has anyone figured how to
refuel the balloon near
Jeet's Stronghold?

Is that the one where you go up the stairs, and the generator is few steps to the right? And the fuel can is at the bottom of the stairs?

Few I took earlier. Xbox One photo mode.

Thumbnail_Large.PNG

Thumbnail_Large.PNG

Thumbnail_Large.PNG
Does it use the impulse triggers on xbox one?

Mohonky

That 21:9 is some sexy shit.

Yeh, I couldn't go back to 16:9, it just doesn't look right anymore. I mean I kind of don't mind with Wii U because I know it's not a powerhouse, but when it comes to games like this, 21:9 looks looks sooooooo good.

Unfortunately Photomode locks me to 16:9 which is why I haven't used it.

The same thing happened with Alien: Isolation, toasters could handle it at 1080/60 but PS4 was locked to 30, and XB1 was either not 1080p or 1080p but with horrible stuttering (I don't remember).

Until I saw these posts, I thought for sure the PS4 and XB1 versions would be at 60 FPS. Even my mid-range (at best) PC is getting a near-constant 60 FPS at 1080p and with most of the settings cranked all the way up. 30 FPS is inexcusable IMO.

Mohonky

Until I saw these posts, I thought for sure the PS4 and XB1 versions would be at 60 FPS. Even my mid-range (at best) PC is getting a near-constant 60 FPS at 1080p and with most of the settings cranked all the way up. 30 FPS is inexcusable IMO.

Some of the previews videos I was watching on PS4 and Xbone had horrific amounts of slow down during car sections, particularly car combat. I can only thing its a CPU thing.

Etnos

Banned
The game seem like the perfect steam sale buy

Out of watching streams, Is it me or Max running animation looks super clunky?

LAM09

I linked my WB account, but I didn't get anything as far as I can tell.

Oh wow, didn't know you can kill innocents in this game. I met some people who needed water. Well, I like my water so I thought: "How about this shotgun instead?"
Problem solved.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Almost five hours and four story missions in, im obviously enjoying the game very much. Max himself could control a little tighter and a few other little nitpicks but the game is good. Just finished eating dinner and going back to play.

Little advice - turn off tutorials in the options menus. It lessens the constant controller configuration pop-ups. This helps a lot.

Dazzyman

After watching the games radar video review I've gone from not being interested to buying it and dl it now. Cheered me up as I've got game apathy after by the looks of it the only person and long time mgs fan that doesn't like mgsv and will be flogging it on (thankfully that I bought on disc). I'm at a loss of the hype I guess when it does down someone else might see its flawed. Anyway back to Mad max....

I can't wait to get stuck in this and drive into someone :)

moai

This game is great. I read on one of the first pages that you cant jump but you can. Also i love that you can not go on a shooting spree and max has to stop and aim before shooting.
I dont get the low scores on some websites, this game is a solid 8 for me.

Fjordson

Can't wait to play this tonight. Going to try and get in a few hours before starting MGS V.

Lirik is streaming this right now - 46,000 viewers.

Exellent exposure.
Holy shit. Kinda off-topic, but is that normal for him? I don't follow Twitch as much lately, didn't realize he had gotten so huge.

Stoze

Holy shit. Kinda off-topic, but is that normal for him? I don't follow Twitch as much lately, didn't realize he had gotten so huge.

It is, he is the most popular "variety" stream on Twitch by a landslide. Dude dosen't even clog up his channel with donation and sub spam and dosen't use a webcam, I have no idea how he got that popular but good on him.

Mixed thoughts so far (after like 2-3 hours):

-Hand to hand combat is awesome and way more fun than I would've expected
-Game looks great for the most part, occasionally looking like last gen upscaled in cutscenes
-Shotgun on circle was weird at first and has me occasionally wasting ammo when I accidentally click to run instead of R2
-I'm very disappointed by how "cinematic" the game is.
-Griffa is fantastic (at least thus far). Perfect voice acting and dialogue
-Chumbucket was appealing to me at first but I'm already sick of him
-Harpoon level requirements are fucking stupid and restrictive. I'm just getting in normal encounters and I can't do anything because that car's bumper is a super bumper (dumb)
-Sound design is fantastic
-Balloons are tedious and slow (though seemingly not required)
-First person driving is cool and would be ideal in non-combat scenarios if there weren't dumb jagged rocks everywhere to avoid
-Some of the "hold this button to select" prompts are annoying imo

Gonna stick with it, seems like it'll get better as it opens up. But yeah, really not sure how I feel about it yet

Fjordson

It is, he is the most popular "variety" stream on Twitch by a landslide. Dude dosen't even clog up his channel with donation and sub spam and dosen't use a webcam, I have no idea how he got that popular but good on him.
Whoa, nice. Always enjoyed his channel when I did drop in on it.

I'm very pleased with my decision to skip the cut-scenes. The game throws up your instructions after each one, so you're only missing some JC2-quality VA/writing.

Mad Max = Shadows of Mordor + Road Rash

I need that PC discount.

Did they release that 400mb patch yet?

chie Paras
Avalanche has released the first patch for Mad Max titled “Day Zero Patch” (Patch 1.01). The update is 400MB in size and is available for download on the PlayStation 4. You can view the complete changelog below.
mad max (5)
The Day Zero Patch for Mad Max brings many improvements to the open world adventure

Patch 1.01 Notes:
Story Missions: Enhance Story Missions flow, dialogue, cutscenes and languages
Wasteland Missions: Enhanced Wasteland Missions flow, random encounters and camps.
Stability: Save/Load system and gamewide stability was improved upon.
GUI/HUD: Fixed some button callouts and icons that were not displaying correctly.
Open World: Fixed several issues with NPC assets, camera manipulation, currency gathering, vehicle combat, collision, movement and fast travelling.
Animations: Multiple animations were tweaked for Max, Chumbucket, the garage and open world assets.
Audio: Voice Over timing was tweaked
Capture Mode: Fixed camera clipping into the world issues specific to Capture mode
Leaderboards: Fixed some instances of cutoff text in the Opus Wars leaderboards.
Pause Menu: Tweaked several settings and options selections
WBPlay: Improvements in service connectivity.

Read more: http://wccftech.com/mad-max-patch-1...mprovements-changelog-revealed/#ixzz3kWwq48MX

ryan299

So I'm waiting for this game from gamefly, but it takes a while to ship and I really want to play it. conflicted if I want to grab it from redbox while I wait for gamefly.

Yeah but you never know when your key is suddenly going to be deactivated because it turns out they are getting shady keys from Russia or some such.

Nah the $20 Mad Max one I got was an Nvidia key, so it would have to be deactivated via them, steam would never go for that. Anyway I've got over 700 steam games and the vast majority of A titles have been had through key stores. Never had a problem.

I'll repost my super early impressions here:

I'm just a few hours in but my initial impression is that the IGN review score is probably a good barometer of how I may score it personally later but who knows. I can't say how I will view the story later but I feel it starts out pretty good and is done well. The initial combat is good, yet simple (fury mode is great when he does a wrestling move) and Max controls quite great. He is very smooth in fact. His actions appear to be very fluid and look natural. Unlocking parts for the Magnum Opus feels fun and it's inclusion is creative. Chumbucket is a worthy companion and well played by his actor. So far, invading enemy camps feels fun and rewarding. I haven't found any initial warts to pick at just yet. The production values are ace. If there is criticism to be had, it must be found later.

I'm about 8 hours in now.

Simo

Played for a couple of hours. Sublime. To keep it short and sweet: If the Batman: Arkham games felt like the perfect Batman simulator then the same could be said for Mad Max and being immerses in that world. The attention to detail is amazing and the little details like collectibles and bios in the menu having some narration..I love it. Reminded me of Shadows of Mordor.

Capture Mode is awesome although it's going to consume just as much of my time as playing the game at this point. A few snaps I took and PS4 version here too..

That's the one. Can't figure that one out.

There is a big rectangle tank attached to the right hand side of the balloon, yellow strip across the top of it. Stand by it and press your refil button.

Caused me problems too; I spent too long trying to fill up the generator with the funnel.

Arturo

Played for a couple of hours. Sublime. To keep it short and sweet: If the Batman: Arkham games felt like the perfect Batman simulator then the same could be said for Mad Max and being immerses in that world. The attention to detail is amazing and the little details like collectibles and bios in the menu having some narration..I love it. Reminded me of Shadows of Mordor.

Capture Mode is awesome although it's going to consume just as much of my time as playing the game at this point. A few snaps I took and PS4 version here too..

Hey, you can get a dog? o_O

Great impressions and awesome shots.

Aaaargh, Friday can't come soon enough… why did they have to delay the European release :p

Fjordson

You can get a dog??

And that's the PS4 version?? Nice!

JRW

So the PC port is optimized pretty well then going by the Image above? That's good to hear.

Absolutely, I'm only running an GTX 670 FTW model and so far haven't seen it dip below 60fps @ 1080p, using the Very High graphic preset, I checked it without Vsync just to see where the ceiling was and it hovers around 85-90fps.

Neverfade

Am I overlooking something, is there really no sensitivity setting for that squirrely right stick? Bah.

Also, the control scheme options are fucking laughable. How are customizable controls not in every game ever now?

N° 2048

Am I overlooking something, is there really no sensitivity setting for that squirrely right stick? Bah.

Also, the control scheme options are fucking laughable. How are customizable controls not in every game ever now?

Noticed this on PS4. Would love a sensitivity option.

This game has some bugs:

1. Couldn't use my harpoon on some of the defense towers (one camp)
2. Can't find the last scrap metal part in one of the camps (so I'm not able to complete it). Searched for 60 minutes. Nope, it disappeared.

Weird, I can't use 2560x1440 144hz in the settings, it's capped at 83hz. Anyone else having this problem? I'm using a Acer XB270HU and have turned Vsync off.

I dunno. I have the same monitor and it works fine for me. You have gsync enabled in the Nvidia control panel?

Top Bottom