• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAD MAX |OT| Beyond Thunderpoon

Sweet Jesus, this game is massive. Put 12 hours in and went to look at the map, zoomed out and realised just how big it is, That's presuming there's as much stuff over the rest of the map as there is in the bits I've covered.

Etnos

Banned
It is, he is the most popular "variety" stream on Twitch by a landslide. Dude dosen't even clog up his channel with donation and sub spam and dosen't use a webcam, I have no idea how he got that popular but good on him.

I get annoyed with his constant use of Like, Dude, and Bro

Do celebrate he doesn't use a webcam, no need for "over the top" fake facial expressions

That stream is making me want to get this game, I wish I had more time

Until I saw these posts, I thought for sure the PS4 and XB1 versions would be at 60 FPS. Even my mid-range (at best) PC is getting a near-constant 60 FPS at 1080p and with most of the settings cranked all the way up. 30 FPS is inexcusable IMO.

Yeah, the framerate is seriously disappointing. It's great for 30fps (feels like Destiny and Forza Horizon 2, so absolutely /locked/ at 30), but it's still 30fps for a game that doesn't take crazy hardware to run.

I feel like these consoles are not going to much longer.

Simo

Hey, you can get a dog? o_O

Great impressions and awesome shots.

Aaaargh, Friday can't come soon enough… why did they have to delay the European release :p

You can get a dog??

And that's the PS4 version?? Nice!

Well thats from the first 2 hours so I can't really answer it!

Awesome shots Simo!

Thanks! Game is a looker for sure and the amount of options and camera control for photo mode is great!

Installing now... then will be traveling to Valhalla all shiny and chrome!

vLORvY.jpg

Its a really, really nice CE actually. First time in a while that Ive said that.

More pics if anyone wants:
http://i.cubeupload.com/vDCiRu.jpg
http://i.cubeupload.com/NOkMkw.jpg
http://i.cubeupload.com/Tdjhn2.jpg

Dammit WB. First no Interceptor edition Fury Road blu-ray and now we don't even get a CE when they put out CEs for just about everything!!

Also looks like Rockstar energy drinks has a promotion for this? Loading screens with the WB messages talks about a exclusive free buggy?

That's the one. Can't figure that one out.

Same here, It says out of fuel, if I'm remembering correctly.
And going back to last week during one of the streams, they use the fuel tank to refuel the generator. Spent about ten minutes trying to figure it before I left the area.

Maybe a glitch.

Well thats from the first 2 hours so I can't really answer it!

Thanks! Game is a looker for sure and the amount of options and camera control for photo mode is great!

Dammit WB. First no Interceptor edition Fury Road blu-ray and now we don't even get a CE when they put out CEs for just about everything!!

Also looks like Rockstar energy drinks has a promotion for this? Loading screens with the WB messages talks about a exclusive free buggy?

DLC comes out next week I believe...they talked about it on the PAX Twitch stream last week

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Great game so far loving it. I didn't care for the batman game and Mordor but love everything about this so far. About 6hrs in so far. The car combat is great, I love the harpoon. Hell even Driving around is fun. The regular combat is awesome, big fights feel so good and brutal.

Cleared out 1st 3 areas (well 2 and the tutorial part), all but mine fields. Got myself a load of upgrades and skills now, saving for 900 scrap harpoon thing next.

Next to Witcher 3, this is my favorite of the year so far.

Corpekata

Banned
The sound design in this game caused my cat to literally piss herself in fear and hide. During one of the early storms (which she doesn't like in real life). Suddenly heard her moaning, thinking it was some mutated beast in the game. Nope, just my cat freaking the fuck out.

KAP151

The sound design in this game caused my cat to literally piss herself in fear and hide. During one of the early storms (which she doesn't like in real life). Suddenly heard her moaning, thinking it was some mutated beast in the game. Nope, just my cat freaking the fuck out.

I was poking around in the sound options. Ive put mine on 5.1 "Fury" setting. Already felt some serious sub woofer madness and ive barely started the game.

Simo

The first storm you encounter...holy fuck. It made me jump when the lightning happened and yeah the sound design is top notch. Storm is super freaking loud but I like how going indoors sounds right and even through the vents the wind causes bottles and ropes/wire to blow around.

Starting to feel way better about the game. Finally got some thundersticks (so good) and good upgrades are starting to open up to me. I've just been listening to the Giant Bombcast and skipping all story, seems like the way to go with this game

tim1138

Picked this up on a whim tonight and am absolutely loving it so far. I've completed the first act and really don't have any complaints so far.

Karak

Working up my review now. Have to say I have some pretty big disagreements with some of the reviews so far.

Interesting game. Only bug so far is my main car has now switched 3 times. Each time I load the savegame on the PS4 I have a different main car. The fastback, then the interceptor looking one and now the damn corvette looking one LOL>

Just found out that your unlevelled harpoon can still rip off tires and such by pulling the car, you just can't quick harpoon. A bit annoying, seeing as just targeting those spots give a warning that you aren't levelled enough... I've been missing out

Also action prompts seem to be bugged on PS4. Press X prompts are mislabelled fairly often haha

I'm going to wager that the reason why the console versions aren't 60FPS is because of their weak CPUs.

Also not a fan of Max's voice, I mean the sound of it. Might be because of the movies though.

Damn those crates you can get during storms give a lot of scraps, like 300 per crate. I found two, it's really risky driving in a storm though.
Yeah, I had one, harpooned it and then some guys came after me while it was storming, they got blown away and I got out to try and get the contents but I kept getting hit by flying debris until I died. >_<

Can someone tell me in the audio options, What is "fury?"

I assume it changes the audio somehow, the other ones make sense, TV, Headphones, Night, but I do not get what "Fury" does.

I'm guessing Fury makes the storms/explosions and stuff like that extra loud for people with good sound set ups.

Just thought I'd chime in and say that this game has GLORIOUS sound design (^____^)

Rather be playing this right now than MGSV...

Afro

I fucking love weighty vehicle physics. So much more satisfying as opposed to a game like Sleeping Dogs where you turn on a dime and brake instantly.

Glad Avalanche went that route b/c if I remember correctly the Just Cause games had pretty arcadey physics/handling.

I've only driven the first buggy though.

Afro

Just thought I'd chime in and say that this game has GLORIOUS sound design (^____^)

Rather be playing this right now than MGSV...

Did you notice the audio has a skipping issue? A bit hard to notice, but incredibly annoying with headphones. It was mentioned on the Steam forums. Really hope this is patched.

Definity

My ocd doesnt allow me to pass a salvage icon on the map without stopping.Ive actually came across a few really cool locations. Just walked into one and a bunch of feral enemies were grouped up around a dead body eating.

ironcreed

Banned
My ocd doesnt allow me to pass a salvage icon on the map without stopping.Ive actually came across a few really cool locations. Just walked into one and a bunch of feral enemies were grouped up around a dead body eating.

I am finding that I am the same way. There are some nicely tucked away locations as well and the game is really just addictive once you get going a bit.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I just tried to use a balloon and it said it was out of fuel. I have a gas tank but I can't figure out how to refuel it...

JRW

The first storm you encounter...holy fuck. It made me jump when the lightning happened and yeah the sound design is top notch. Storm is super freaking loud but I like how going indoors sounds right and even through the vents the wind causes bottles and ropes/wire to blow around.

lol agreed, I'm playing PC ver with my trusty Sony MDR XB500 headphones which are hooked up to an amp after the soundcard output, Even just the sound of firing up your car is really satisfying.

zedge

Couple hrs in now (X1 version), and I am seriously loving this game. Its visually stunning (imo), atmosphere, everything is just awesome. The combat is much more satisfying than the Batman games, never liked it much in those. Car combat is equally awesome, everything feels like it has weight and mass as it should.

Its a shame the 'mainstream' are reviewing this a bit low, maybe because they have MGS on the brain I dunno. Anyway this game is a surprise hit to me, was not even on my radar until a few days ago when I saw some streams and videos. Good shit!

Came so close to canceling my order for this game due to some reviews... so glad I didn't. Game is a blast and loaded with atmosphere. Have not even played MGS5 yet.

Never underestimate how much a draw-distance can add to your world ala Xenoblade Chronicles

Shit just DRAWS you in when you stare into space :)

rObit

Banned
A few hours in now, and this is hitting all the right notes for me. The scrap / upgrades mechanic feels like a more fleshed out version of what Tomb Raider did, in an actual open world. I did 100% of the collecting in Tomb Raider because it felt meaningful, and so far I've been making sure to completely clear out the camps for the same reason. I see myself sinking a lot of hours into this thing.

I just tried to use a balloon and it said it was out of fuel. I have a gas tank but I can't figure out how to refuel it...
Walk around the basket of the balloon, you will see a button prompt to refuel.

I fucking love weighty vehicle physics. So much more satisfying as opposed to a game like Sleeping Dogs where you turn on a dime and brake instantly.
I love boosting for a big jump and come slamming back down to the ground when you land, the feeling of weight+the sound+the vibration of the controller just come together perfectly. It's a shame that landing a big jump takes like 1/3 of your car's health though (hoping some upgrade will help with this later on).

Teknoman

Is the game very atmospheric? I seriously adore games that can make you really feel "dat atmosphere"

Very much so.

Also I didn't think this would work, but I waited till a car got right up on me on foot, aimed carefully and BOOM. Shotgun right through the hood, car blows up and flies right over my head, with Max ducking as flames and metal spray everywhere around him. Stuff felt like something you'd see in a scripted sequence.

bodine1231

I'm having a hard time parrying a second or third attacker mid combo. Do you have to wait right before the circle closes then press Y?

Hawk269

You guys are making me want to get this.

How is running on the Xbox One? Is the framerate stable? Is it 1080p or 900p? I have a high end PC gaming rig, but like to play on my Xbox One more these days...so just curious how the Xbox One version came out.

Teknoman

I'm having a hard time parrying a second or third attacker mid combo. Do you have to wait right before the circle closes then press Y?

No, parry window is closed by then. Press Y the instant you see it.

I'm going to wager that the reason why the console versions aren't 60FPS is because of their weak CPUs.

Also not a fan of Max's voice, I mean the sound of it. Might be because of the movies though.

Yeah, I had one, harpooned it and then some guys came after me while it was storming, they got blown away and I got out to try and get the contents but I kept getting hit by flying debris until I died. >_<

I'm guessing Fury makes the storms/explosions and stuff like that extra loud for people with good sound set ups.

I need to turn on fury mode then.

You guys are making me want to get this.

How is running on the Xbox One? Is the framerate stable? Is it 1080p or 900p? I have a high end PC gaming rig, but like to play on my Xbox One more these days...so just curious how the Xbox One version came out.

1080p on XB1. Looks and runs great. I'm impressed.

mrpeabody

Those OT gifs took this from "ignore" to "check it out". What the fuck is with licensed movie games having actual effort involved, it's like I don't even understand gaming anymore.

nded

I think that's only if you want a perfect parry/limb break/disarm etc., otherwise you can usually press the button as soon as the prompt comes up if you're not stuck in a punching animation.

did I somehow miss being able to customize my max?
I just met the wandering merchant and im still the default looking max

Top Bottom