• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAD MAX |OT| Beyond Thunderpoon

Carm

So, I have about 10 hours played now, haven't been to The Jaw yet, just riding around the first 3 map sections around Jeets stronghold clearing out scraps/scarecrows etc. Survived one storm, died in another being greedy with muthaloot heh. I was disappointed when I jumped into other cars that they didn't have any nitro, after taking some scarpulances back and other cars. I noticed the vehicle collection tab, didn't really read any of it, so figured it was just the random driving cars and any special cars you may build.

I was clearing out a random scrap icon place, got to the last scrap and turned the camera to see a car and noticed I could get in it, but there was no way out, but then saw a little console. I was very pleasantly surprised to find that car because it does have nitro and it's a fast little bugger. So, I'm guessing I can find other cars like this hidden in the world instead of finding parts to build vehicles, pretty cool.

sbdPBVw.jpg

30IR

Banned
This game is so EPIC - love the graphics, gameplay, and the overall feel so far!

This game shines brilliantly in 5K! :)

A couple of snaps:

MK4b.png

NK4b.png

NickMitch

19 hours in. Enjoying it hella'much. Just built all Jeet Stronghold Projects and i'm beginning to wreak havoc in Gutgash's territory.

last night Chmbucket said to me....They mostly come at night....Mostly... - Referring to the buzzards - such a subtle sci-fi nod...

The game deserves higher score...No doubt.

Hale_C

The only thing stopping me from buying this is that videos and reviews I've seen have highlighted how simplistic/shallow/easy the melee combat is. Those that are enjoying it, what's your thoughts? I do need games like this to have some challenge for me to enjoy them more than a couple of hours. Just wired that way sadly.

SJRB

Gold Member
The only thing stopping me from buying this is that videos and reviews I've seen have highlighted how simplistic/shallow/easy the melee combat is. Those that are enjoying it, what's your thoughts? I do need games like this to have some challenge for me to enjoy them more than a couple of hours. Just wired that way sadly.

It is shallow as hell, you parry with triangle and then mash square to beat the shit out of them until you hit an arbitrary number of hits and then your fury mode unlocks, making punches hit harder.

It is very satisfying though; Max's punches hit like a sledgehammer and it feels really good seeing dudes get knocked out. He sometimes throws in crazy wresling/jui jitsu finishers, which is totally rad.

Hale_C

It is shallow as hell, you parry with triangle and then mash square to beat the shit out of them until you hit an arbitrary number of hits and then your fury mode unlocks, making punches hit harder.

It is very satisfying though; Max's punches hit like a sledgehammer and it feels really good seeing dudes get knocked out. He sometimes throws in crazy wresling/jui jitsu finishers, which is totally rad.

See, that sounds like asscreed combat to me- looks great but quickly becomes shallow. Spectacle only goes so far. Any difficulty modes/ability to switch off hit indicators?

Is this like an alternate universe Mad Max or is it set after Fury Road?

It's like another rendition of Fury Road. It features one of Immortan Joe's sons from the movie and there are all the same cities and some returning characters, but for the most part, it's completely different.

Oneself

Shallow but very fun. Not that different from Arkham Asylum and a bit TLOU-like... Mash square to attack, holding it allows for slow but stronger attacks, when fury mode kicks in you do crazy moves, triangle parries, circle rolls in order to dodge unblockable attacks, you can finish a stunned enemy wich a shiv or your gun, or using the environment à la TLOU if you're close to a wall etc.
Very satisfying.

Nothing clunky like AC's combat, it feels very fluid like Batman.

Starfield

Anyone been to the
Airport
already? Man that is one scary and huge place! The ruins from the old world are just so amazing.

One of the best open world postapocalyptic games I've ever played.

Hale_C

Shallow but very fun. Not that different from Arkham Asylum and a bit TLOU-like... Mash square to attack, holding it allows for slow but stronger attacks, when fury mode kicks in you do crazy moves, triangle parries, circle rolls in order to dodge unblockable attacks, you can finish a stunned enemy wich a shiv or your gun, or using the environment à la TLOU if you're close to a wall etc.
Very satisfying.

Nothing clunky like AC's combat, it feels very fluid like Batman.

Heh, ok you might have sold it to me. WB thanks you ;)

Dominator

Just started it, was going to wait until after MGS but this was taunting me from the shelf. This game is fucking sweet. Max's punches hit so hard, I love the combat. Yeah it's simple, but that never bothered me in Batman/Mordor/anything else.

Car stuff is really cool too, it's all easy to control but it's satisfying.

I stopped cause a sniper at the first base right in the beginning kept killing me lol have no clue how to get to him.

Oneself

Just started it, was going to wait until after MGS but this was taunting me from the shelf. This game is fucking sweet. Max's punches hit so hard, I love the combat. Yeah it's simple, but that never bothered me in Batman/Mordor/anything else.

Car stuff is really cool too, it's all easy to control but it's satisfying.

I stopped cause a sniper at the first base right in the beginning kept killing me lol have no clue how to get to him.

Harpoon
is your friend, it's one of the main mechanics of the game, strangely badly explained at the start..

Oneself

I tried, it's L1+O right? I just took down one of those tower things with it, maybe I had already forgot what button it was lol
Yes but at that part, your weapon selection sits automatically on the shotgun. Left on the d-pad will save you. ;)
Same happened to me, trying to figure out wtf was going on because I had no shotgun shell either. Try the alternate controls too, I think it's much better.

Lol pink/blue paint is ridiculous, but perfect

First boss fight was pretty rad! Though a twister came in during one attempt so Max randomly just starting spinning and went flying haha

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
My Thingy on the map OCD has hit me hard with this game. Logged over 28hrs so far, Mad Max's Skills are maxed, Jeet and Gutgash fortress are maxed, all there areas are 100%, all scavenged areas are looted. There is one scavenge location in Gutgash place that opens with a quest I haven't gotten yet. My car has all but last ram bumper and grinder tire of whats unlocked (lots of that stuff unlocked via story stuff.

I just opened Pink Eye's area, and it starts again! God I love this game!!

What should I be looking out for when Chumbucket shouts "A mighty duster!"? I never notice anything out of the ordinary when he says that. But there are enemies/vehicles/storms when he spots them.

See, that sounds like asscreed combat to me- looks great but quickly becomes shallow. Spectacle only goes so far. Any difficulty modes/ability to switch off hit indicators?
Not like AssCreed at all. AssCreed is parry>instakill, that doesn't happen here.
Enemies in huge group will mess you up (gets easier when you upgrade Max though). There isn't a huge range of moves, variation or gadgets like Batman (more variety once you unlocked more upgrades), but the combat in Mad Max requires more "rhythm" if that makes sense... Button bashing won't get you very far, because once you threw a punch, you can't cancel your move (or can you dodge roll to cancel? need to try that tonight), so you can't counter mid-punch even if you saw an attack coming. The timing required for a Perfect Parry is also less forgiving than the Throw Counter in Arkham Knight. You want to land one punch at a time, and do your heavy attack wisely, or else you will leave yourself vulnerable to incoming attack. Max's attack also doesn't "lock on" to an enemy as much as it does in AC or Batman, and certainly no "Skating Batman", so your positioning in a fight is far more important, you can punch enemies within your arms length, that's it. It's less flashy but brutal as heck, seeing Max does a suplex never gets old.

heringer

Of all the WB games with this style of combat, Shadow of Mordor is the best of the bunch. It's not bad in Mad Max (definitely better than AC), but it's not what carry the experience.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
What should I be looking out for when Chumbucket shouts "A mighty duster!"? I never notice anything out of the ordinary when he says that. But there are enemies/vehicles/storms when he spots them.

A Twister, only ever got hit by one when I was in my car but if you are on foot it kills you I think

M.W.

I'm 18 hours in and have experienced 1 storm and it was during a fight in one of the camps. I've had yet to run into a storm out in the open. Weird.

Wolff

Anyone has a list on what are the non repeatable challenges? Can't find anywhere.

I'm 18 hours in and have experienced 1 storm and it was during a fight in one of the camps. I've had yet to run into a storm out in the open. Weird.

Been playing for 30 hours, and been to over 10 storms. Weird that you're getting so few.

Starfield

I think Avalance should do a Waterworld open-world game next. They're nailing dat Mad Max feel sooo much. I think they can do the same with Waterworld.

UPGRADE YOUR BOAT, CHOOSE A DIFFERENT BOATHULL IN THE BEGINNING

Use the diving clock to find ancient artifacts/scrap/etc..

Watchout for the different gangs scouting the waters with their jet-ski's

Help people fortify their small towns so they won't be easily attacked by pirates anymore.

THE DREAM

I had no storms for the first ~15 hours. I've played about 8 hours since then and had 3. Two in the open world, one while I was about to fight a top dog. They're very random.

DrBo42

I think Avalance should do a Waterworld open-world game next. They're nailing dat Mad Max feel sooo much. I think they can do the same with Waterworld.

Help people fortify their small towns so they won't be easily attacked by pirates anymore.

THE DREAM

Hahaha. People actually want a Waterworld game? Get a hold of yourself, man!

heringer

THE DREAM

Waterworld sucks son.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Sooo now I can't use my select button all the sudden on my Xbox One Controller on PC.

It works on other games, but I can't use it on Mad Max anymore all the sudden. Won't pull up the map. Tried changing the controls and changing them back. Nope. So now the game's unplayable for me.

DrBo42

Sooo now I can't use my select button all the sudden on my Xbox One Controller on PC.

It works on other games, but I can't use it on Mad Max anymore all the sudden. Won't pull up the map. Tried changing the controls and changing them back. Nope. So now the game's unplayable for me.
Uninstall the driver?

freefornow

My only annoyance with this game is the way that Chumbucket pronounces Dinky Di.
It's not "Dinky Dee", it's "Dinky Die". The "I" in Di is the same as the "I" in iPod.

Been adicted to this game for the past days. Has some pretty good things going for it. The only thing i'm not enjoying are those challenges. Some of them are simply impossible to complete, like the one about destroying cars by hitting their sides. I can't land a single one. :/ Anyone here did this one?

Pretty weird to see nobody on either PSN or Steam got all the trophies already. Seems like the one for challenges is the only one with 0.0%.
All you do is t-bone them, it doesn't need to be moving when you do it, just ram them in the middle of its side and it should count, I got that one pretty quickly.

autoduelist

Saw some people needing water... drove over to them, got out, tried to give them water but realized I didn't have enough.

Checked my map, saw a water source a minute's drive away, and headed over. Got the water without incident, then searched for the thirsty ones.

I found them marching into the wasteland, but just as I pulled up and exited the Magnum Opus, I realized I'd alerted a local sniper. It's worth the risk, I told myself, these people need water. I handed the man my canteen, and the first sniper bullet put a bullet in his brain before he even got a sip.

I jumped back into the Magnum Opus, and tore off, leaving the two other thirsty ones to their deaths. Bullet or thirst, I'm not sure which.

This is how you do open worlds. And also, I love that you're not safe during 'animations'.

Although it annoys me that you have to press a button to make him repair the car. It seems like automatic repair on stopping would have worked if they sped up his animations when transitioning from different parts of the car.

If they sped up his transition it would make it too easy to just race out of distance, repair some fast, and get back into battle. As it is, jumping out to repair mid battle can be high risk, which it should be (though there are some ways to make it too easy imo).

ryan299

I just completed the gasworks camp and theres this yellow gear symbol that doesn't seem to do anything. Anybody know what it is?

NVM I figured it out.

Finally got to play the game for a few hours tonight and man, I'm loving it. I can understand why reviewers might get tired of it/think it's too much of a go-here, do-this kind of game because if I played it for a whole weekend straight it would be too much. As a few hours here and there, though, it is hella fun to just go around scavenging things and blowing shit up. Driving the Magnum Opus is awesome, too. Car combat feels so satisfying, especially when you harpoon a guy out of his moving car and then running him over.

Plus the wasteland has some amazing scenery. Definitely glad I chose this over MGSV.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The game could do a slightly better job of saving the world state. I commandeered a scrap transport vehicle on the way to Jeet's stronghold and parked it near the drawbridge as I had to use the Magnum Opus to trigger the cutscene, but after I was allowed to leave, it was no longer there. :(

Tigress

AC's combat is way less satisfying honestly. And it feels more like I just hit random buttons on AC and win. Where as Mad Max is simplistic but it still feels like how I time hitting the buttons matter (AC it just felt like I could mash the buttons with any timing and it worked).

But the biggest thing is it just feels a lot more satisfying in Mad Max. I think it's the sound design just works well. Fury mode feels awesome when you get it.

Just got through enough of my work to justify playing this tonight, and I'm struggling with the controls so far. I feel like there's a solid half second delay in between my input and the display, which makes the driving insanely frustrating. I knew that's what I was getting into when I bought an Xbox One, but it's disheartening nonetheless.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I hate that the game auto-saves whenever you use up ammo. I've wasted at least three shotgun shells by accidentally firing.

Bullitus

I might need something to play alongside MGS V (so I don't burn out on stealth and lack of storytelling). Would this be a good choice?

NickMitch

Still stuck on the Wasteland Classic Mission. New update on Xbox One doesn't help. Am I best off just starting over?

Have you tried this: uninstall all the uppgrades for your car - then press X to enter the archangel area - install all the green parts and exit the menu.

You have to do this outside a stronghold...Chumbucket will then tell you to go to gutgash.

Top Bottom