• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAD MAX |OT| Beyond Thunderpoon

All of these good impressions really tempting me to jump in. But sadly I just can't right now, maybe later.

I'm playing this game while doing long stints with MGSV, and I'm really enjoying myself with this game. I'm not sure where these negative reviews are coming from. I'm having a blast.

Steam review is sitting at 96% positive, exactly like MGS V. It was 97% yesterday.
You don't have to trust 'professional' reviews everytime. :D

d00d3n

This game is way better than Shadow of Mordor IMO. More dynamic, better atmosphere, better visuals, better environments, and more character. It doesn't have that one standout feature like Mordor has in the Nemesis System, but that's all Mordor has.

I agree.

Can't believe people didn't want Chumbucket tagging along during the pre-release videos. He's so goofy, and the way he slides around the car and Max hasn't stopped entertaining me even after 20 hours. I really like his rapport with Max when you leave the Magnum Opus and shout blunt orders at him only to get a long winded or scared response back.

Although it annoys me that you have to press a button to make him repair the car. It seems like automatic repair on stopping would have worked if they sped up his animations when transitioning from different parts of the car.

Huh, could the girl in Max's hallucinations in Fury Road be
Glory? I know the general storyline involving her and Hope also appears in the comics although the circumstances are different. Makes more sense than Sprog being retconned as older and a girl.

Edit: Oh hey, it's confirmed right on the IMDB page.

After being billed as not connected to the movie for so long, I'm surprised by how much it ties into the film. Enjoyment can be had for both without experiencing the other, but it's so enriching to experience both.

WB should have shouted about this game from the rooftops after Fury Road, but they kept downplaying it. I suppose that was for the best after its weak critical reception.

I'm constantly in awe at just how gorgeous this game is. Most beautiful wasteland ever?

aNQD6mI.jpg

My name is Max. My world is fire and blood...and harpoons...and dog food.

Harpoon is seriously the worst thing to happen to this game. Car combat should all be about ramming and guns and boarding.

One thing that I don't understand about the harpoon (in regards to car combat) is how you can pull enemies out of vehicles the moment you get it, which basically ends car battles before they've even begun, whereas in order to pull off tires you must upgrade the harpoon many hours into the game. Doesn't that seem backwards? I mean, why would you ever go for the tires when you can just yank out the driver, even if you must first pull off a door or two? That bugs the piss out of me.

Lima

One thing that I don't understand about the harpoon (in regards to car combat) is how you can pull enemies out of vehicles from the get-go, which instantly results in victory for you, whereas in order to pull off tires you must upgrade the harpoon many hours into the game. Doesn't that seem backwards? I mean, why would you ever go for the tires when you can just yank out the driver, even if you must first pull off a door or two? That bugs the piss out of me.

In later areas cars are armored and you can't rip off the door but still go for tires. At the beginning I agree though makes things easy. Then again once you get the Thunderpoon even taking down convoys becomes super easy. That thing rips.

In later areas cars are armored and you can't rip off the door but still go for tires. At the beginning I agree though makes things easy.

Ah, I figured they'd mix it up somehow. In that case, I guess it does make sense. I still wish car combat were more challenging at the beginning though.

One thing that I don't understand about the harpoon (in regards to car combat) is how you can pull enemies out of vehicles the moment you get it, which basically ends car battles before they've even begun, whereas in order to pull off tires you must upgrade the harpoon many hours into the game. Doesn't that seem backwards? I mean, why would you ever go for the tires when you can just yank out the driver, even if you must first pull off a door or two? That bugs the piss out of me.

Humans aren't bolted in lol

Faabulous

Played this for about 2 hours yesterday, loving it so far. Stopped because I ran into a balloon that was out of fuel, and I couldn't refuel it. Max just stood there with canister in hand, prompt not showing up.

I'll retry today, hope it works.

Impulsor

Played this for about 2 hours yesterday, loving it so far. Stopped because I ran into a balloon that was out of fuel, and I couldn't refuel it. Max just stood there with canister in hand, prompt not showing up.

You have to find the fuel tank, its on one of the sides of the balloon basket. Its big and thin.

Lima

What's the recommended way to secure a stable flow of scrap income?any way to boost the amount I get from the captured bases?

On this note if you use suspend on either PS4 or XBO make sure to quit the game after you are done playing. If you suspend it you obviously don't get the scrap metal that your crew is collecting while you are not playing the game. Missed out on big scrap because of this.

d00d3n

You have to find the fuel tank, its on one of the sides of the balloon basket. Its big and thin.

Additionally, the area where you refuel is quite small. You have to stand close to one of the four sides (I think only one works) of the balloon with a fuel tank in hand. It is not possible to refuel the engine itself.

Faabulous

Additionally, the area where you refuel is quite small. You have to stand close to one of the four sides (I think only one works) of the balloon with a fuel tank in hand. It is not possible to refuel the engine itself.

This explains a lot. I'm pretty sure I was trying to refuel the engine. I'll try it again today after work.

In cases where you can harpoon a human enemy, that's typically about finding the right angle. No vehicle in the game is perfectly sealed because industrial methods of manufacturing are long dead. The harpoon cable, when reeled in, pulls humans at such a speed that they'd at least be knocked unconscious by the blow they receive. It helps to remember that it's probably piercing a vital organ and ripping them up in the process of extraction.

Any car with a white bar has had armor installed that prohibits the removal of tires. The armor was installed not to prevent Max from harpooning tires, but to protect tires from the blades frequently seen attached to hubcaps in Fury Road and the game. Avalanche did a pretty good job adhering to the logic of the movie universe.

SJRB

Gold Member
I did not test this personally, but saw a thread on reddit about this. I think the "Big Nothing" is limitless, but you won't last long because the health of your car and Max continue to drop when you enter the Big Nothing.

Video here.

Yeah it's similar to Far Cry 2 where you could wander into the desert but eventually faint and respawn inside the map.

Grit Canyons during the day and Reek Hills at night are gorgeous. This game is scratching that Brutal Legend heavy metal landscape itch.

madmax_20150904032939lbu0t.jpg

madmax_20150904050612vnuf2.jpg

That intro.

Glorious!!!

Although what the hell is the point of a jump button? It seems completely useless so far and that button really could have been used for something else.

I must say, I'm enjoying this game far more than the reviews led me to believe I would.

Of course, maybe that's just because I love rich, post-apocalyptic worlds. I also liked RAGE a lot more than most people did too...

Goddamn we need a photo thread already. All these photos in the OT do not bother me one bit; in fact, I love them so much I think they deserve their own thread. The photos you guys posted are stunning, absolutely love the sense of scale in the landscape ones.

I never bothered with photo mode in inFamous:SS, TLOU, SoM, or Batman, but tried it last night in MM, couldn't take any photos as nice as yours though.

Goddamn we need a photo thread already. All these photos in the OT do not bother me one bit; in fact, I love them so much I think they deserve their own thread. The photos you guys posted are stunning, absolutely love the sense of scale in the landscape ones.

I never bothered with photo mode in inFamous:SS, TLOU, SoM, or Batman, but tried it last night in MM, couldn't take any photos as nice as yours though.

There is a photo thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=177504980

noomi

I've played about 5 hours and I'm still in the first area doing camps/side stuff.

This game gives me a serious case of OCD, MUST COMPLETE EVERYTHING BEFORE MOVING TO NEW MISSION :p

Using the Ripper now also but before that I was using the Wild Hunt.

Yeah, I had this issue as well and it took a while before I noticed the tank on the stupid balloon.

Bl@de

That intro.

Glorious!!!

Yeah the intro is perfect for Mad Max. People say the beginning is worse than later parts of the game, but I really enjoyed the opening sequence.

And yeah jumping seems to be only useful to get over small rocks and stuff. Maybe there will be some other use later.

Edit: Car choice is obvious. Wild Hunt and nothing else (reminds me of the Interceptor).

Ledhead

This game is glorious. Put in another few hours in last night just clearing out stuff in Jeet's turf. I also fought my first top dog. Close fight because I went into it without any shotgun ammo and barely any water. Won out in the end though. Very satisfying

Simo

Heard the ending to this game is horrible. That's what's keeping me from getting it. I hate games with bad conclusions.

Story is short and really paper thin considering it's basically "My car got stolen so I'm gonna get it back while building a better one and get revenge". That's it. You do meet and interact with a bunch of interesting characters and locals though but I would never recommend anyone to get this purely for the story anyway.

As cliché as it is to say it, it's more about the journey and experience which so far has been fucking awesome. lol

Proc

I booted this up on PC for the first time last night. I figured I'd indulge myself for the long weekend with this and metal gear. I'm glad I did! It is a beautiful game maxed out at 1440p. I'm curious how it will play on my tv desktop on a gtx 680 since I have a feeling I'll be playing it mostly there.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The Havoc Point camp was insane.
Like three consecutive waves of 8-12 goons including the thunderstick throwers. No real time to breathe. And then you walk into the area with three oil wells, I tossed a thunderstick at one and it set off the most glorious chain reaction ever. The entire world exploded.

heringer

I'm enjoying this game so much. Let's not kid ourselves though, it very much falls into the Ubisoft style open world formula. However, it really helps that you really are only collecting scrap, which is absolutely essential to the gameplay. Also, the grind completely fits the tone of the game. It makes sense to scavenge a bunch of places in the wasteland.

I would change two things in the game, though. One is to make water a bit more valuable. Removing the automatic refill when in strongholds would be enough. The other is making harpooning the driver impossible.

Guns in the car would be so much fun too, but that doesn't fit the universe, unfortunately.

Alright- I spent about 5 hours with the XB1 version of the game (I redboxed it-) and bought game for PS4 yesterday- and there are 2 noticeable differences between the XB1 and PS4 versions (for me). I realize there (most likely) will be a DF for the 3 versions- but here's my impressions of the consoles:

Playing on XB1 first I noticed a Solid framerate-I mean even in transitions from wasteland to strongholds. At times on PS4 the game will 'hang' on loading the strongholds and framerate takes a hit for a few seconds-which can seem like an eternity-afterwards its fine. These are few and far between but present-I have only played 2 hours on PS4- but in all my time with the XB1 version I did not notice any framerate issues.

The other big difference I noticed- the post processing effects. They are both very good looking games- but it seems the post processing effects on PS4 are turned up to 11. playing the intro (which is at a set time of day-on both)-and you will see more cool lighting/dust on the lens-and other cool lighting tricks-absent or understated on XB1 (from what I could tell)

edit-having a blast with the game but as stated-the frame issues (only really when transitioning into a stronghold) are a heartbreaker for me-hoping for a fix

It's probably only superficial, but what car body did everyone choose?

I'm leaning towards Furnace.

Wild Hunt for me-(top pic is from original movie)

bosseye

I went with Die Rolla. Couldn't decide between that and Death Rattle.

Love the massive, classic stylings.

I've got Shovelface now too, looks like you can get all the bodies over time, which is good.

The driving and the cars are phenomenal though, its so tactile and brutal and solid and weighty. Just crashing around across the various terrains is such a pleasing experience.

Top Bottom