• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAD MAX |OT| Beyond Thunderpoon

M.W.

I might need something to play alongside MGS V (so I don't burn out on stealth and lack of storytelling). Would this be a good choice?

Yes, multiple people have posted this game is a great distraction from MG.

I'm invested in building up Jeets Stronghold. I have 5000 scrap and need to spend it lol

Still stuck on the Wasteland Classic Mission. New update on Xbox One doesn't help. Am I best off just starting over?

Is that the one where you build The Jack? Go into the garage, open up the Archangels and find the Jack, then select all the parts with a dot over them to change to the required part. You should then be able to get the final missing part from Chumbucket.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
For anyone who has finished the game, how many story missions are there total? Thanks.

nded

Just got through enough of my work to justify playing this tonight, and I'm struggling with the controls so far. I feel like there's a solid half second delay in between my input and the display, which makes the driving insanely frustrating. I knew that's what I was getting into when I bought an Xbox One, but it's disheartening nonetheless.

Handling gets better with suspension upgrades and using the appropriate tires for whatever surface you're driving on.

lebowski4ever

Neo Member
love grabbing scrap whilst a storm.is happening. grabbed about 7 pieces yesteday. managed to grab some shots of the lightening hitting during the storm. looks epic...

c0Zm1c

I think Avalance should do a Waterworld open-world game next. They're nailing dat Mad Max feel sooo much. I think they can do the same with Waterworld.

UPGRADE YOUR BOAT, CHOOSE A DIFFERENT BOATHULL IN THE BEGINNING

Use the diving clock to find ancient artifacts/scrap/etc..

Watchout for the different gangs scouting the waters with their jet-ski's

Help people fortify their small towns so they won't be easily attacked by pirates anymore.

THE DREAM

Been wanting this game for a while now! Avalanche already has some experience with water mechanics too (the Just Cause games). Throw in some sailing boat mechanics and it could be something special. It's never going to happen though, because so many people have such inexplicable hatred for the movie. Perhaps if they made a game based on it, using a different name and having no direct ties to the movie. That could work.

Simo

So last night I invested in some projects for Jeet's stronghold, took out a few outposts including one located in a beautiful location that had me on a mountain/rock side with suspended bridges where a random storm also decided to make it's presence known. Oh and took out a Top Dog in another awesome location just because of the world building and how you always see this structure when you're cruising and now I've liberated it for Jeet's people to use.

And I'm only still in Jeet's territory....

Roshin

Been wanting this game for a while now! Avalanche already has some experience with water mechanics too (the Just Cause games). Throw in some sailing boat mechanics and it could be something special. It's never going to happen though, because so many people have such inexplicable hatred for the movie. Perhaps if they made a game based on it, using a different name and having no direct ties to the movie. That could work.

Throw in some underwater exploration and combat, and submarines and it could be a cracking game. :D

noomi

I'm enjoying this game so much, still in jeets territory doing all the camps and trying to get the threat level to 0. So much fun.

GoDLiKe

I'm playing MSGV right now but this thread is convincing me to buy this game. It looks so awesome! Damn, if I have more free time :/

dex3108

Wasteland in Mad Max is awesome. I saw airplane in desert and i decided to check it out, oh it is buried, but wait i can go down! What is inside? Hideout! Game is full of those moments. Map is not only beautiful but they crafted it really well. There are also few other surprises that i didn't expect to see but i won;t spoil it. And i visited only 1/3 of the whole map :D

heringer

Had my ass kicked a bunch of times in a stronghold yesterday. Had to be creative with gasoline.

And driving in first person is so much fun! I wish you could adjust the FOV though.

Was on the fence, but the consensus here seems to be really positive

1) I read the optimization is really good. How does it compare to MGS V/Fox Engine? If I can play TPP on high at a decent frame rate, I should be be to play this okay?
2) Does the game fall into that Ubi-style open-world trap, or does the world feel lively and interesting to explore?

Had my ass kicked a bunch of times in a stronghold yesterday. Had to be creative with gasoline.

And driving in first person is so much fun! I wish you could adjust the FOV though.

yeah gasoline is your best friend and leveling your character up
I liberated all the camps in Jeet, now working on the mines.. and those are easy
Jeets hold is upgraded except for the 1500 scrap
the issue I am having is the convoys
once the convoys are done the Jeets area is liberated

bede-x

2) Does the game fall into that Ubi-style open-world trap, or does the world feel lively and interesting to explore?

Yep. It's every bit as bad as Ubisoft's games. It feels slightly fresher in the beginning, because it's the first Mad Max game of this kind, but once you really get into it, it becomes a chore to play.

heringer

Was on the fence, but the consensus here seems to be really positive

1) I read the optimization is really good. How does it compare to MGS V/Fox Engine? If I can play TPP on high at a decent frame rate, I should be be to play this okay?

It's smoother than MGSV. If you are running MGSV well, you are fine with MM.

Second question is a bit complicated. It does use the same formula Ubisoft open world games use, but it does some things better. For instance, you are not collecting things that have little to no practical use (even money is fairly useless in AC games, for instance). You will be mostly collecting scrap (which is essential for upgrades you need), water, fuel and ammo. All of them are usefull, though water, ammo and fuel comes more naturally with progression and you don't have to go out of your way to find it.

Here is the kicker though: while in other games grinding hurts the pacing, narrative and immersion, it's the opposite in Mad Max. Grinding for resources actually enhances the world building because it totally fits the tone of the game. A Mad Max game with no scavenging would feel off.

In the end though, it depends on how cynical you can be towards all this. I think it fits the game well, and the level design is good enough to keep things fresh. But there's no denying its the same formula.

heringer

Also, yesterday I was thinking about why I dislike Ubisoft open world games. I've come to the conclusion that the problem is not the grind itself. Gamers are used to grinding for decades because of RPGs. Or even online games that unlock new gear the more you play, like CoD.

The problem with the grinding in Ubisoft games is the lack of tangible reward and slow pacing. In good RPG's you gain levels and new abilities, things that make you stronger, at a good pace. What do you get by opening a bunch of chests in Assassin's Creed? Money for a better sword? Who cares, the combat is already piss easy as it is. It's not rewarding at all. The sole exception to this is Black Flag, because the naval combat gives a bunch of unlocks at a good pace, things that are actually very usefull for your ship. They make your ship stronger and more capable. This is one of the reasons Black Flag is a fan favorite.

It works like that in Mad Max. You are always unlocking usefull upgrades at a good pace. The grind feels rewarding because of that.

Another question: the crashes. Unsatisfying crashes always irk me in games with car combat. Do enemy cars flip and roll like in JC2 and Motorstorm when you take them out? It's a minor thing, but I feel it adds to the intensity rather than having cars just spin out or blow up
NAw6zp2.gif
AlSaTpZ.gif

I just rented this from Redbox and now I'm thinking about buying it. It's really fun. I also really enjoy the photo mode with how far back you can pull the camera out. It might not have the sharpest textures but I think it's quite visually appealing.

Paganmoon

So the game is being lauded for it's stability and what not, for me it's been messing up so much since the patch.

A video of a "carflip bug" I'm getting, restarted the game, restarted the PS4, still happens randomly, happens with different bodies and cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BT2OLHagV8

Video isn't the best, but I just threw it together in a few minutes.

Thanks to this thread I ordered Mad Max on Thursday, and it arrived this morning. Super excited to try it. It was either this or Metal Gear, and I just couldn't resist the idea of open world car combat, out of car combat in a post apocalyptic wasteland.

Just have to wait until the kids are safely in bed before I launch...

Nekrono

So what is the general consensus/feedback for this game?

I haven't had the chance to catch up due to MGSV but I am planning to pick it up after if people say it's good. I know the reviews weren't kind, at least the first couple.

I think Avalance should do a Waterworld open-world game next. They're nailing dat Mad Max feel sooo much. I think they can do the same with Waterworld.

Help people fortify their small towns so they won't be easily attacked by pirates anymore.

THE DREAM

haha Waterworld is terrible, but I enjoy watching every 2-3 years. Have a Love / Hate relationship with it. But I would really like to see a game adaption.

ahartig

Just redboxed last night and watched the movie (which was incredible) a few weeks ago. Having a blast, made it to Jeets and stopped. Can't wait to get back into it tonight. Loving chumbuckets commentary and his character altogether. The driving is gobs of fun and the car combat looks like it could evolve into something awesome.

Funny how Avalanche studios loves the harpoon/grapple hook game mechanic. It still fun as hell to harpoon someone off a car and watch them fly, it never gets old.

Rolfgang

So the game is being lauded for it's stability and what not, for me it's been messing up so much since the patch.

A video of a "carflip bug" I'm getting, restarted the game, restarted the PS4, still happens randomly, happens with different bodies and cars.

Yikes! How much chrome paint-spray did your Max inhale, mate?

bebop242

Thanks to this thread I ordered Mad Max on Thursday, and it arrived this morning. Super excited to try it. It was either this or Metal Gear, and I just couldn't resist the idea of open world car combat, out of car combat in a post apocalyptic wasteland.

Just have to wait until the kids are safely in bed before I launch...

I hope you post impressions. Its nice to see follow up posts of people trying out a game because of positive word of mouth in threads.

Barrylad

Neo Member
Two quick frustrations:

-I'm using the new control method they patched in -- several of the button prompts are wrong. The sniping ones are incorrect. When I got the reminder of 'evading' - the on-screen controller highlighted R1, but the text said to press O. That's just sloppy.

-I like that the combat distinguishes itself from Batman a little bit by not letting you jump inconceivable distances across the screen to keep a combo going -- but it also just feels less polished than Batman. When you have your Arkham-like knife/shield enemies who have a charge attack that covers a lot of ground - I found them breaking up a lot of my parry/kill animations leading to a lot of frustrating deaths ie, unlike Batman, when Max is doing a big dramatic kill move, these guys can still hit you when you're in an animation. Has anyone else encountered this? It's turning a typical base takeover into a very frustrating exercise for me.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member

Wow...that's fucked up. What you should is delete the game install, reinstall it and continue your saved game without the patch and see if it still happens. If it doesn't, it's most likely the patch. If it does, it's something else. And curious, did you start playing the game and then download the patch or downloaded the patch and then start playing?

I know that you can download patches and play your save file but a lot of times, it can cause problems as the file would conflict with the patch since the patch wasn't part of the original save file.

Backup your save file and try some other ways around the glitch.

Just picked this up from GMG with the 40% off code, sounds like it's worth it?

Still haven't seen the new movie yet either, maybe I'll watch it tonight to go along with this.

Warablo

THE DREAM

One of my dream games is this, with full explorable underwater. Boat, Jet Ski, Sub, Scuba Jet thing and something like a Motherbase that you upgrade with captured animals/sea creatures and Earth artifacts.

I haven't really decided if the water should have mythical/dino sea creatures for epic boss fights.

Impulsor

One of my dream games is this, with full explorable underwater. Boat, Jet Ski, Sub, Scuba Jet thing and something like a Motherbase that you upgrade with captured animals/sea creatures and Earth artifacts.

I haven't really decided if the water should have mythical/dino sea creatures for epic boss fights.
Subnautica

Top Bottom