• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Men - Season 7, Part 2 - The End of an Era - AMC Sundays

Maybe her goal to pursue a psychology degree has made her more analytical in her interactions with Sally and less reactionary or emotionally driven.

I think there's definitely a bit of that.

On a fundamental level, I think she's finally recovered fully from the deaths of her parents. Those were both hugely damaging to her.

Altazor

I'm surprised his dad didn't insist on getting a writing credit.

I LOL'd.

On a more serious note: I still cannot believe what a homerun the casting of Kiernan Shipka ended up becoming. Good child actors are rare, and she has been consistenly good since S4. Plus she looks like both Don and Betty. It's a perfect casting.

I LOL'd.

On a more serious note: I still cannot believe what a homerun the casting of Kiernan Shipka ended up becoming. Good child actors are rare, and she has been consistenly good since S4. Plus she looks like both Don and Betty. It's a perfect casting.

she's fantastic. the best kid actor on tv by far.

and then we have glenn's awkward looking ass. can't believe betty would get shook over this wolverine jr. bobblehead up in here.

loved the episode though. especially the don scenes, and don/sally. this season really needs a substantial sally and don episode I think, they often have some of the strongest scenes together.

don plot is veering into sopranos s6 pt. 2 existentialism...and i don't mind it one bit.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the last minute calling out of Don's handsomeness in lieu of character came out of nowhere and really, really impressed me

- Clickhole: An Oral History Of ‘Mad Men’

pC7zlwR.gif

Linius

Oh my, Weiners youtube channel is a goldmine :lol

Anyways, this week's episode was nothing less than incredible. That last shot with Don was perfection. Mathis screwing up at the second meeting cracked me up. Glenn's appearance was really great, such a weird character. And Peggy's great return on Don's dreams, shit son.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Watched the latest episode yesterday. It was good as usual, but there's something about this season that seems a little rushed to me. It's like Weiner is working overtime to fit in a lot of character development and closure over the course of the final 7 episodes. The theme of this episode seemed to be "everyone shits on Don." First Roger shits on Don's hair, then Peggy shits on Don's mentorship, then the real estate agent shits on Don's "sad" apartment, then Mathis shits on Don's personality, then Sally shits on Don's womanizing.

We get it, already. Don is a flawed human being. That's been perfectly clear over the last 7 seasons, no need to repeatedly slam it in our faces.

I think the first half of Season 7 did a good job of slowly and subtly outlining how Don's life is falling apart, with his escalating affair and Sally finding out about it. It felt like the culmination of Don's womanizing past, where it all comes crashing down around him. With the second half of the season it feels like the writers are just sprinting to close out all the characters' arcs. Within the span of two episodes Peggy meets her dream guy and Joan meets her dream guy, and the initial meetings don't happen organically but rather through fortuitous circumstance. At the beginning of an episode we learn that Don is selling his apartment and by the end of the episode it has been sold. All of a sudden everyone is telling Don how much he sucks, as if a switch has been flipped and people finally have the ability to verbalize how they feel about him. Ken's writing, which has been a dormant plot point for God knows how many years now, all of a sudden rushes up as this massive driving force that ties into unhappiness at home, him being fired, and then immediately being offered a superior job. For a show that has been a slow burn for 6.5 seasons, everything just feels like it's rushing at light speed and it's pretty jarring.

I dunno. It's still better than any other show on television, but I definitely feel like the last few episodes have been pretty shaky. Hopefully the remaining episodes don't feel quite as forced as the last three.

Nameless

she's fantastic. the best kid actor on tv by far.

post-44867-arya-stark-laughing-gif-Imgur-B8ub.gif

Anyway, not really getting why some people are down on this season so far. It's a layered, nuanced, character study as it's always been. The 'plot' was never building toward some grand crescendo like a Breaking Bad, and I for one am grateful they aren't flipping the show on its ear just because our peak into these characters' lives is coming to an end.

Ed Carroll (President, AMC Networks): At that time, the only thing airing on AMC was a show called Broderick Names Them Roderick, which was a reality show about Matthew Broderick holding divorced men at gunpoint and forcing them to change their legal name to Roderick against their will. We aired this show 24 hours a day. Needless to say, we were looking for some original programing.

Holy fuck lol.

Loki

Count of Concision
I didnt feel at all that Betty was leading Glenn on.

Wow, maybe my radar is all messed up, but up until the last scene in the kitchen with Betty and Glenn, I TOTALLY felt that Betty was flirting with and/or hot for Glenn. You can see this in her mannerisms (playing with her hair, not wanting to go get her purse when Sally asks her for money) and her words. She even flirts with him in the kitchen when they're alone, albeit in a more muted way.

By contrast, Don certainly did nothing flirtatious with Sally's friend at dinner, and in fact kept trying to steer the convo back to Sally and her/the other girls' aspirations whenever fast chick got flirty. So I don't think it's fair at all to say that they (Betty and Don) acted the same way, but we view the situations differently because of their genders. They didn't act the same way at all. Betty was way more overt. If a woman acted like that around me, I'd make a move too.

Pryce

- IndieWire: 'Mad Men' Has Ended Four Episodes in a Row With the Same ShotA quick screenshot/gif look at what a few people here have mentioned recently.

I feel like "The Strategy" is a shot meaning, especially after the first three episodes, that these characters will never enjoy life until they leave the thing that made them who they are?

From Ken's line of "The life not lived" toward Don to Peggy Lee's "Is That All There Is?" at the end of "Severance", to Don integrating Peggy about "Then what?" when you achieve major success or goals, then what is there?

When the show first started, all these people were still gaining things in life. Don was the head creative, but his (and their) entire business relied on Lucky Strike. That's all they had. Then he managed a new company to a merger that has made him a millionaire ten times over. Joan went from a secretary, a marriage to now someone who is a partner and can live the good life. Pete was the guy who wanted to be Draper, and while he never got to be Draper, he's millionaire regardless. Peggy went from someone right out of secretary school to a person who could become head of creative, but even if she achieves that, she's right back in the same rut of not being "full" as Don so blatantly was trying to get her to notice.

It seems as rather a true finale, this show is asking the question of "Then what?" to its characters, and to its viewers. That when you focus so much on one thing, in that when you achieve that thing, you're left standing around asking "Is That All There Is?" to yourself when you're not happy at where you're at.

In "The Strategy", they looked happy. They weren't in the office. They weren't talking to clients or working, but just three people who liked each other, and wants/wanted someone to like them back. The more they try to create the perfect life, the further they get away from being happy at their most basic level.

Wow, maybe my radar is all messed up, but up until the last scene in the kitchen with Betty and Glenn, I TOTALLY felt that Betty was flirting with and/or hot for Glenn. You can see this in her mannerisms (playing with her hair, not wanting to go get her purse when Sally asks her for money) and her words. She even flirts with him in the kitchen when they're alone, albeit in a more muted way.

By contrast, Don certainly did nothing flirtatious with Sally's friend at dinner, and in fact kept trying to steer the convo back to Sally and her/the other girls' aspirations whenever fast chick got flirty. So I don't think it's fair at all to say that they (Betty and Don) acted the same way, but we view the situations differently because of their genders. They didn't act the same way at all. Betty was way more overt. If a woman acted like that around me, I'd make a move too.

Exactly how I saw it.

Tabris

I love Pete.

This line from a couple episodes ago:

"That's a very sensitive piece of horse flesh... he shouldn't be rattled."

was amazing.

- Mad Style is up: The Forecast

They're totally wrong about Joan's apartment.

Joan is still very, very traditional. She's a successful, wealthy professional, but it's not entirely what she wants. Remember how badly she wanted to be the dutiful stay-at-home housewife? She still kind of wants that.

She hasn't gotten a big, expensive place or spent a fortune upgrading her current apartment because she doesn't want to double down on the idea of being this fully independent single woman. She's not ready to commit to this life yet.

GAF I was in Vegas this weekend and missed Sunday's episode. It is unfortunate that i will have to wait until the blu ray release to watch it. By any chance will AMC air a rerun?

They're totally wrong about Joan's apartment.

Joan is still very, very traditional. She's a successful, wealthy professional, but it's not entirely what she wants. Remember how badly she wanted to be the dutiful stay-at-home housewife? She still kind of wants that.

She hasn't gotten a big, expensive place or spent a fortune upgrading her current apartment because she doesn't want to double down on the idea of being this fully independent single woman. She's not ready to commit to this life yet.
Not only that, but the obvious tragedy of her big shift up the economic ladder is to show that deep down, she hasn't changed much. Sure, she's much less of a spendthrift on her wardrobe and jewelry now, but she was never exactly frugal on that front anyway.

She's accentuating the parts of her identity with which she most readily identifies (remember her quote about how much her mother emphasized physical beauty when she was growing up?), but has remained stagnant on pretty much every other aspect of her life (not the least of which is the respect she's afforded in the workplace, which has gotten even worse if that horrific meeting in 7B premiere is any indication).

CassSept

“You’re a very beautiful girl. It’s up to you to be more than that.”. Great line, gave me chills. Amazing ending to a great episode. While Matthis is simplifying things in his anger, I don't think Don ever realized just how much he owes to his looks. Seeing him realize that is great

stn

Don certainly owed a lot to his image, but I never assumed that he was coasting on his looks. He's made some bold moves and has done some very good work, no? I see him as self-made. Mathis just made a huge mistake and failed to utilize his humor at the right time. That's how I saw it, at least.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
New theory: I expect Don to give up Don Draper. And return to being Dick again.

big ander

Love this one, however Severance is still my favorite episode of the half-season thus far. that could change once the season coalesces midway, as Mad Men always seems to do. the final shots becoming a bonafide motif feels like the first step towards everything falling into place.
GAF I was in Vegas this weekend and missed Sunday's episode. It is unfortunate that i will have to wait until the blu ray release to watch it. By any chance will AMC air a rerun?

looks like it's rerunning Sunday morning. and you can watch it on AMC's website by entering your cable info.

I can't really imagine skipping an episode of Mad Men and still enjoying the season to its fullest. show relies so heavily on gradual buildup and shifts from episode to episode.

That's not really feasible.
Exactly - it's a nonsensical theory.

Just because he has more money and fewer personal attachments than ever doesn't mean that he's willing to pay the piper for identity theft, fraud, desertion, and whatever else he'd be charged with.

Top Bottom