• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Men - Season 7, Part 2 - The End of an Era - AMC Sundays

Nobility

Banned
I can't wait to see Matthew Weiner's vision of the finale and how it matches what critics will say tomorrow morning.

I interpret it as Don going back to work, displaying love in a Coke ad, and accepting love that people are giving him, and, in turn, he reciprocates.

I legit think that was a masterful ending from Weiner. I was honestly expecting something a lot less but just showing that coke commercial tells you soooooooooooooooooo much about what possibly happened afterward without having to actually show us with some lame ass flash forward or obviousness.

Pretty brilliant imo.

BlueWord

This was a wonderful finale. The only part that I didn't totally buy was the Peggy/Stan thing, but it makes sense.

It hit all the emotional and thematic notes it needed to.

From adage.com:

In January 1971, McCann Creative Director Bill Backer was on a flight to London that was delayed in Ireland overnight. The next morning, Mr. Backer observed the beleaguered passengers at an airport coffee shop laughing over bottles of Coke. " began to see the familiar words, "Let's have a Coke," as ... actually a subtle way of saying, "Let's keep each other company for a little while," wrote Mr. Backer in his book, "The Care and Feeding of Ideas."

Smart move making Don be the one who comes up with it for Mccann.

JCizzle

I legit think that was a masterful ending from Weiner. I was honestly expecting something a lot less but just showing that coke commercial tells you soooooooooooooooooo much about what possibly happened afterward without having to actually show us with some lame ass flash forward or obviousness.

Pretty brilliant imo.

This. The dings were perfect too. I'm really happy about how that ended.

Loved it, though it honestly didn't click until I read some responses here. Now it makes sense. That's exactly the kind of ending I expected from Weiner.

purg3

slept with Malkin
I'm still processing the ending. Not sure how I really feel about it just yet. Certainly leads you down the path of where Don went and how things transpired after his time in the commune.

Dispatch

Stan and Peggy together felt rushed, but other than that, I'm highly satisfied.

And, yes, 100%, Don wrote the commercial for Coke (nicely foreshadowed by Joan doing Coke at the beginning of the episode).

NYR

Mainstream media is going to fucking skewer this episode and rightfully so.

Anyone claiming this was good or transcending is a straight up mark. Horseshit.

Well, they pulled it al together at the end. Was this episode great...no. but very very good and thats the MadMen I love. very very good episodes consistently with a few amazing ones here and there. A good closure to the series.

Epcott

I'm going to assume Don made that ad so I can sleep at night.

Yep!

And Pete moved to the city I was born... Too bad Wichita went economically bust around that time (unless I'm mistaken).

IronRinn

Pretty brilliant imo.
Yeah, I get all of this but it still seems way outta left field. Gotta process it more I guess, because I'm really not sure how I feel about it.

Grisby

I think it fits...but maybe I wanted some more dramatics? I gotta sleep on it.

I'm conflicted on thinking it was neat and simultaneously a bit let down.

God I can't even believe how perfect that was.

It's so complicated and organic and real. It established how much McCann sucked, gave Peggy an exciting out that she didn't take, gave it all to Joan, gave Peggy and Stan their Billy Wilder ending and then. THEN. DON.

First we finally get a better dramatic scene than Jesse in Problem Dog, which I had been waiting for, then we get a whole story of an ending in a single commercial. It tells us that Don went back to a very compromised world and became legend.

In a single second I went from being "what? We're ending on yoga?" To HOLY SHIT PERFECTION.

Just incredible storytelling. What do you get for the show that has everything?

So, that guys sincere speech at the commune about his family not noticing him affected Don by making him go back to work to get his attention/love?

Dany

Banned
This was mad men to the very end. A fitting conclusion to Don Draper and actually wrapping up a story when in reality the lives of these characters are going to continue to march forth.

SSPssp

Amazing! I love the ending and everything about the episode! I'm actually not surprised about the Peggy/Stan thing because they were setting it up with all the tension quite a bit this season.

-griffy-

Banned
It was incredibly bold to have the big, emotional self realization of the protagonist be delivered by a completely random, unnamed character in an extended closeup, only cutting away to Don at the end for a reaction shot. There's a lot to unpack and revisit in this finale.

JCizzle

God I can't even believe how perfect that was.

It's so complicated and organic and real. It established how much McCann sucked, gave Peggy an exciting out that she didn't take, gave it all to Joan, gave Peggy and Stan their Billy Wilder ending and then. THEN. DON.

First we finally get a better dramatic scene than Jesse in Problem Dog, which I had been waiting for, then we get a whole story of an ending in a single commercial. It tells us that Don went back to a very compromised world and became legend.

In a single second I went from being "what? We're ending on yoga?" To HOLY SHIT PERFECTION.

Just incredible storytelling. What do you get for the show that has everything?

That transition from him mediating into the ad was fucking amazing.

Top Bottom