• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Men - Season 7, Part 2 - The End of an Era - AMC Sundays

BlueWord

Mainstream media is going to fucking skewer this episode and rightfully so.

Anyone claiming this was good or transcending is a straight up mark. Horseshit.

If this gets skewered by the mainstream I'd probably take that as a sign that it was a success.

That said, I think the reaction will be less outright bile but more mellow confusion. That ending was really perfect, though.

I don't feel elated or disappointed. It's like "Of course," of course that's the kind of ending we'd get and I'll take it. This show is one of the rare instances I endorse it being about "the journey, not the destination" which I find to be horse shit most of the time.

Zombine

Banned
The Sopranos ending was x1000 better.

The Sopranos never ended. They had to meet a deadline and right when they filmed the final scene there was a power outage. Being pressed for time, they just threw what they had together and played a song. Then they walked away forever.

Yeah, I get all of this but it still seems way outta left field. Gotta process it more I guess, because I'm really not sure how I feel about it.

I honestly can't even think of a single other way I'd rather have the show end. I like the idea of Don finally coming at life with a newfound perspective. I like the thought that he went back to McCann one day and everyone was like where the fuck were you, and he said don't worry about it and churned out one of the most iconic commercials of all time. The thought that he got to see Peggy again, and hang out with Roger. Be there for his kids however he can.

Who knows what else new Don is up to. We were told all that without having to see it. Just by one single ad that Don created. And his best pitches were always some sort of reflection of what he had just been through in life. This time rather than see the pitch we just saw the end result because we know how he came up with it.

I don't know. Weiner hit it out of the park imo

HoJu

Liked the episode but i don't know how i feel about Peggy's bit.
Felt too much like a "gotcha" moment with the teasing of her and Joan teaming up only to swerve with being in love with Stan.

Anyone who expected a grand, dramatic moment of catharsis has been watching the wrong show for the past 8 years.

If you care about the characters, you got everything you needed. If you care about plot and "tying up loose ends" then it's not the show's fault you haven't realized that the characters ARE the plot.

I don't know. I respect all opinions, but I don't know what people were hoping for other than...Mad Men.

purg3

slept with Malkin
The more I think about it, the more I realize it was a pretty brilliant move. But I can see this being super polarizing to people.

Also, Peggy stole this episode and quite frankly the series.

oneils

I had low expectations. I don't know if I'm qualified to say if it was good or bad, but I was satisfied and that's "good" enough for me.

Kacar

Fantastic once you absorb it in. The dinging gives away that Don went back, embraced others love and affections finally, made a legendary ad, sees his kids on weekends, and then smokes drinks and bangs total hotties.

-griffy-

Banned
I also love how people in this thread were speculating what iconic song the series was gonna close on, and it occurred to no one that it would actually close on an iconic ad :p

Captain.Falafel

Neo Member
I honestly can't even think of a single other way I'd rather have the show end. I like the idea of Don finally coming at life with a newfound perspective. I like the thought that he went back to McCann one day and everyone was like where the fuck were you, and he said don't worry about it and churned out one of the most iconic commercials of all time. The thought that he got to see Peggy again, and hang out with Roger. Be there for his kids however he can.

Who knows what else new Don is up to. We were told all that without having to see it. Just by one single ad that Don created. And his best pitches were always some sort of reflection of what he had just been through in life. This time rather than see the pitch we just saw the end result because we know how he came up with it.

I do interpret it this way as well but I also can't help but think that it feels a bit...neat.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Anyone who expected a grand, dramatic moment of catharsis has been watching the wrong show for the past 8 years.

If you care about the characters, you got everything you needed. If you care about plot and "tying up loose ends" then it's not the show's fault you haven't realized that the characters ARE the plot.

I don't know. I respect all opinions, but I don't know what people were hoping for other than...Mad Men.

I would of preferred it more without the commercial or some actual proof Don is the one who made it.

Beyond that I am ok with everybody else's storyline.

Dispatch

I really want to know if Don becomes a nobody to his children or not.

I think that he does become more a part of his children's lives. I admit I root for Don, but the entire peace/love/harmony tone of the commercial he wrote in combination with his mini-breakdown by the pay phone leads me to believe his remorse will stick this time and he'll grow as a father, and as a person.

Sigh, I'd love to rewatch it, but I have to be up for work in 5 and a half hours.

AAAA SO MUCH THIS

Zombine

Banned
What a beautiful ending and a wonderful show. I'm so glad we had a finale that didn't end with tragedy, but with redemption and a second rebirth for Don. He found peace, and made his mark in the marketing world.

IronRinn

Yeah.....yeah. The more I mull it over the more I'm coming around to it.

You know what, I think I really like this ending. It says everything it needs to about Don's story without actually showing us. Thinking about it now, that meditation scene cutting to the commercial is brilliant.

I'm gonna miss this show ;_;

oneils

Are we supposed to know the person who took top billing in Joan's firm? Hollowell was it?

I think that is the babysitter on the phone. Which, if I'm right, tells us what we kind of already know about Joan. She is all business and didn't really mean it when she told Peggy that she would be the only one who could ever be partner. Having two names is just too important so it doesn't really matter whose name it is.

Of course I could be pulling that out of my ass! ;)

Edit lol a postrr above says its her maiden name. Or I guess that is the name of her mother

Coke ad was Dons sprit Bomb. Ended ending was perfect for the show, everyone moves on to the next stage of their lives and finally find so me sort of happiness .

tchocky

Liked the episode but i don't know how i feel about Peggy's bit.
Felt too much like a "gotcha" moment with the teasing of her and Joan teaming up only to swerve with being in love with Stan.

I don't think it was a gotcha moment but Peggy finally realising as Stan put it their's more to life than work.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Everyone is assuming the commercial in the end meant he wrote it. What if it was just a visual version of the closing song? The fact the credits didn't have one might of meant the ending add was just there for musical reference to the episode.

In fact that is how I'm going to interpret it, with Don finding some peace. Which is a pretty damn good ending all thing considered.

I would of preferred it more without the commercial or some actual proof Don is the one who made it.

Beyond that I am ok with everybody else's storyline.
I think the bell is the proof. Meditating, had his zen moment inspired by someone else's plight. Which of course was also really his.

I think it's clear he made the ad. Of course given in real life, McCann Erickson created the actual ad.

big ander

Well. I quite everything outside of Don, even if it was more sentimental and traditional than the show normally goes. Everything was earned, from Stan & Peggy to Pete leaving to Joan's production company to Roger's will to Sally filling in for Betty. So funny too, "This...is a cactus" and Roger insulting Kevin and Peggy's "What?"s cracked me up

The Don plot needs to sit with me. The other guy verbalizing the themes of love and the impossibility of contentedness that have underlined the show was a bit far, and Don's experience in the commune in general was a kind of soul-searching we've seen from him before. If he did create the ad that's pretty cynical and could be fairly deep as I mull it over: if even at this terrible hollow point he turned transformation into advertising, that's something of a sign that all change is stasis—he'll never escape selling people his ideas. I dunno. really need to think on it.

Maengun1

I was expecting some ambiguity of course, but I really love the particular ambiguity they went with here.

Did Don decide to go back to his old life again, make the Coke ad, life goes on? Did Don stick with his new hippie hobo wandering, someone else did the Coke ad, Don doesn't care about that stuff anymore?

Pretty nice ending either way....I'm still sad for the kids (though Don will be there for some in some way) but everyone else got a happy enough ending.

BearPawB

Banned
@andygreenwald 3m3 minutes ago
MAD MEN is one of my favorite shows of all time. I loved it this morning, I love it now. But I thought that finale was unambiguously awful.

Good call, but I suppose I see it a bit more through a cynical, "ad man" lens. Had an inspired idea from his hippy dippy experience. Great, great ending either way.

Top Bottom