• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madcatz reveal Street Fighter V Arcade Sticks and Fight Pad

Vol5

Don't forget they need electricity to play the game. And an apartment to have electricity.

Buy a 150 dollar Hori or a brook adapter if you don't want to buy a new stick.

This is so much like SF4 launch it's hilarious.

Stop defending capcom and madcatz. I've already bought a stick which works fine for sf4 on ps4. Now I have to wait to see if its supported on SFV because of shady practices and greed. I want my £150 stick to work now and on the day SFV releases. Until it is capcom can fuck off.

Skilletor

Stop defending capcom and madcatz. I've already bought a stick which works fine for sf4 on ps4. Now I have to wait to see if its supported on SFV because of shady practices and greed. I want my £150 stick to work now and on the day SFV releases. Until it is capcom can fuck off.

Nah, I'll keep supporting the people that make games and devices I want. It's not important to me at al that games or consoles support legacy products.

You feel free to be indignant or whatever, but don't act like everybody has to feel the same way as you.

I never complained about the te when sf4 came out. I built my own stick when super turbo hd remix came out using one of those pcbs from the classic arcade joysticks that had universal ground.

What is happening with the sticks is like if Sony just decided to charge $99 for the dual shock 4 when ps4 came out and did updates that broke workarounds to use ps3 pads.

Skilletor

Is there a significant difference in quality ?

Nah, not really. Boils down to preference. I prefer the weight and build of the TE2 over the HRAP. Madcatz sticks are all Sanwa, Hori have their own parts.

I prefer the Hori stick and sanwa buttons, but, again, it's just preference. If you don't have much experience with sticks, you probably wouldn't notice much of a difference.

Hyun Sai

Nah, not really. Boils down to preference. I prefer the weight and build of the TE2 over the HRAP. Madcatz sticks are all Sanwa, Hori have their own parts.

I prefer the Hori stick and sanwa buttons, but, again, it's just preference. If you don't have much experience with sticks, you probably wouldn't notice much of a difference.

Oh, it's just for information, I will play SFV on pad, already bought a FG4, I wasn't up to date for the last generation of sticks. I had a previous gen HRAP and TE, and I think they were around the same price when I bought them.

So just wondering about the increase price.

Skilletor

Oh, it's just for information, I will play SFV on pad, already bought a FG4, I wasn't up to date for the last generation of sticks. I had a previous gen HRAP and TE, and I think they were around the same price when I bought them.

So just wondering about the increase price.

Yeah, Hori has been using the same/similar case as a more "budget" stick for a long time now. Their more premium sticks like the Fightingedge, when we see them, will almost certainly be the same price as the TE-S and TE2.

I personally think the TE-S should be 150-170, but it is what it is.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I got my Chun Li TE2 today.

I really like it. Very solid, nice weight to it so it doesn't move around in your lap and works great. It looks much nicer in person than in pics as well. The colors really pop and the art has a nice 3Dish effect. I popped a Sanwa octagonal gate in it and have been learning it pretty well.

I grabbed the Simplifying Street Fighter ebooks Gootecks since its in Kindle Unlimited and decided to grab USFIV and go through his trainings to get decent with the stick and learn SF fundamentals since other than the last SFV beta I haven't played a SF since the SNES and this is my first stick.

The ebook does a good job of noting what's changed for SFV so you don't waste time learning things that will be completely moot for it while working in execution and fundamentals in IV.

So I'm happy with my purchase. Would have probably gone with one of the + models if I'd gotten a preorder in, but no way I was waiting until April and I prefer the art and colors of this stick anyway and don't care about the lack of touchpad and l2/r2 anyway.

smurfx

get some go again
How come my TE2 doesn't detect on PC? Are there drivers?
i think you need to download an xbox 360 control driver.

edit: wait i'm not sure what you have to do. ask mark on twitter. pretty sure i read that the new stick won't work on sf5 on pc for a while.

drotahorror

If it worked natively on ps3 then it's directinput and will not work natively on SFV on PC. You can use a 3rd party program to make it work.

I was thinking of getting an HRAP 4. Does it use the same parts as the TE sticks? And if not, can I swap them on it should I not like the ones it comes with?

Siphorus

I am a new player to fighting games but I really do enjoy Street Fighter V (managed to hit sub 15,000 in ranks on my first street fighter game!). The current problem I have is that my thumbs start to hurt pretty bad from using the dpad, to the point where I even have it cramp up and I can't block in a match. So I'm strongly considering a stick at this point but I'm not sure what to get. I'm comparing the Hori Real Arcade Pro Kai but I also like the fact that the TE2+ can be opened. (However I'm not afraid to modify other sticks if they cannot be opened as easily).

So to sum up:
Hori Real Arcade Pro Kai 4 or TE2+?
And is TE2+ worth the extra money when I could just get the TES+ and modify it?
Will my thumbs ever get use to the punishment (cramping, aching, callouses I haven't seen since playing guitar or rowing)?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I prefer the Hori stick...

I just put a Hayabusa in my Fightstick Pro and it could already be my new favorite. Silky smooth, just the right tension to not feel mushy.

Edit: On Hori buttons--I have Kuros in my SE stick. Definitely solid, and I like them over Seimitsu, but Sanwas all the way.

Dremark

Banned
I am a new player to fighting games but I really do enjoy Street Fighter V (managed to hit sub 15,000 in ranks on my first street fighter game!). The current problem I have is that my thumbs start to hurt pretty bad from using the dpad, to the point where I even have it cramp up and I can't block in a match. So I'm strongly considering a stick at this point but I'm not sure what to get. I'm comparing the Hori Real Arcade Pro Kai but I also like the fact that the TE2+ can be opened. (However I'm not afraid to modify other sticks if they cannot be opened as easily).

So to sum up:
Hori Real Arcade Pro Kai 4 or TE2+?
And is TE2+ worth the extra money when I could just get the TES+ and modify it?
Will my thumbs ever get use to the punishment (cramping, aching, callouses I haven't seen since playing guitar or rowing)?

Yeah, I find the pad on the DS4 to be particularly uncomfortable. These games have become a lot more pad friendly, but I think even if you were using a comfortable one a stick is going to be a lot more comfortable in long play sessions.

The TE2+ is very easy to open, but the HRAP4 isn't even remotely hard to mod either. You can just use a phillips head screwdriver and open it up from the bottom. The TES+ doesn't look like it would be hard to open, but I do not know for sure, for what it's worth I am buying a TE2+ but you could probably save the $30 on that end if you really want to.

If you haven't owned a stick before and you don't know what type of parts you prefer the HRAP4 is the better bet. The TEs all have Sanwa JLF sticks and the HRAP4 has a Hori Hayabusa, which one of those you'll prefer is just a personal preference, the buttons are also mainly preference but I think the Sanwa are a bit higher quality durability-wise from what I've read (I prefer a Seimitsu LS-32 and buttons personally so I'm swapping out regardless).

Basically the long and short of it is that the two sticks are roughly equal in quality with thier stock parts so unless you have a preference for the Sanwa parts and know it you're better off with the HRAP4 as it will save you $50 (Which is about the price difference in swapping the parts so even if you decide you like Sanwa or Seimitsu you're even). If you prefer Sanwa and know it the Madcatz will save you the (Admittedly small effort) in switching

Siphorus

Yeah, I find the pad on the DS4 to be particularly uncomfortable. These games have become a lot more pad friendly, but I think even if you were using a comfortable one a stick is going to be a lot more comfortable in long play sessions.

The TE2+ is very easy to open, but the HRAP4 isn't even remotely hard to mod either. You can just use a phillips head screwdriver and open it up from the bottom. The TES+ doesn't look like it would be hard to open, but I do not know for sure, for what it's worth I am buying a TE2+ but you could probably save the $30 on that end if you really want to.

If you haven't owned a stick before and you don't know what type of parts you prefer the HRAP4 is the better bet. The TEs all have Sanwa JLF sticks and the HRAP4 has a Hori Hayabusa, which one of those you'll prefer is just a personal preference, the buttons are also mainly preference but I think the Sanwa are a bit higher quality durability-wise from what I've read (I prefer a Seimitsu LS-32 and buttons personally so I'm swapping out regardless).

Basically the long and short of it is that the two sticks are roughly equal in quality with thier stock parts so unless you have a preference for the Sanwa parts and know it you're better off with the HRAP4 as it will save you $50 (Which is about the price difference in swapping the parts so even if you decide you like Sanwa or Seimitsu you're even). If you prefer Sanwa and know it the Madcatz will save you the (Admittedly small effort) in switching

Thanks! I'll pop on the HRAP4 since I don't have a preference, modding was my my main concern (but for the artwork, the stick/button swapping is a huge bonus though).

Dremark

Banned
Thanks! I'll pop on the HRAP4 since I don't have a preference, modding was my my main concern (but for the artwork, the stick/button swapping is a huge bonus though).

You should be able to swap art out on the HRAP4 (I haven't done it yet, but it doesn't look like a difficult process, less no nonsense than the TEs though). You can buy a plexi top at Art's Hobbies (http://www.tek-innovations.com) and put art under it (They can print it and cut the holes for you too).

So this sucks, looks like Amazon updated their preorder note to a specific date of Jan 26th, and I pre-ordered on Jan 29th, which means I guess I'm screwed from getting a stick on release. Which also means, if they don't allow ps3 sticks, I pretty much can't enjoy the game I've been most excited for for months on release and my planned vacation week in Feb might end up being worthless.

I'm off to Japan in March and I've made it my goal to buy a fight stick whilst I'm over there. The TE2 is £200 in the UK so I'm banking on it being a bit cheaper over there!

Are there any aficionados out there that could help me on this quest? I'll be staying in Tokyo but traveling around a good part of the country :)

Anastasis

So this sucks, looks like Amazon updated their preorder note to a specific date of Jan 26th, and I pre-ordered on Jan 29th, which means I guess I'm screwed from getting a stick on release. Which also means, if they don't allow ps3 sticks, I pretty much can't enjoy the game I've been most excited for for months on release and my planned vacation week in Feb might end up being worthless.

Do you have a GameStop nearby? You could check with them. Newegg?

Do you have a GameStop nearby? You could check with them. Newegg?

I actually did check with Gamestop and they said they aren't getting the sticks in store, online only.

Newegg might be a choice, but they might end up in the same boat of over-pre-ordering and then making people wait

Anastasis

I actually did check with Gamestop and they said they aren't getting the sticks in store, online only.

Newegg might be a choice, but they might end up in the same boat of over-pre-ordering and then making people wait

The TE2+ seems out at GameStop which may mean they are handling their inventory a bit better (but you only have the TE S+ as an option). But they also say they will ship overnight orders to the US first (on mobile I didn't see an option for overnight, the fastest shipping was $18).

Was it the TE2+ that you wanted though?

The TE2+ seems out at GameStop which may mean they are handling their inventory a bit better (but you only have the TE S+ as an option). But they also say they will ship overnight orders to the US first (on mobile I didn't see an option for overnight, the fastest shipping was $18).

Was it the TE2+ that you wanted though?

I have the TE2+ preordered at amazon, but to be honest I'd be fine with either.

The annoying part of all of this is that they just wont confirm or deny ps3 sticks. If they just said that we can use them, I'd still be buying my ps4 stick and I just wouldn't have to worry about waiting it out...

myco666

Yeah the fact that there isn't confirmation on the subject is much more annoying than if they had said months ago that SFV won't support PS3 sticks. But honestly all this silence about it just screams to me that there will be PS3 stick support at some point since why they wouldn't just say if they don't have it.

I was thinking that way too at first, but really, if they weren't going to implement it, I kind of feel like they would also avoid announcing it just to try and skate any backlash, just hoping people wouldn't complain too much...

Linkhero1

Anyone know if Newegg will have TE 2+ stocked at launch?

Nothing points to a limited quantity like the Amazon page.

Doubt it. They might not mention anything about limited quantities but it's pretty much guaranteed that there will be some supply constraints, especially if MadCatz is sold out.

Crisium

Thanks for the link.

I watched the vid. Can't decide between the Hori FC4 or The Fight Pad Pro.

The dpad of the fight pad pro looks intriguing to me, like it won't hurt my thumb as much over time.

FC4 isn't bad, but I have a fair amount of missed inputs with its d-pad. I like the Saturn d-pad style with all 8 directions. The MC Fight Pad is really expensive though so I'm hoping I can better adapt to the FC4. The d-pad seems like a huge question mark on the Fight Pad because it's a full circle like the Saturn pad but it doesn't have defined directions... I'm really genuinely interested if it delivers but $60 is a lot to ask.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Saw that. Definitely glad I opted to cancel my TES+ preorder and just get the Chun Li stick since I placed my TES+ order on the 31st.

Highly recommend the stick to anyone who doesn't need the touchpad or l3/r3 (both really only used for training mode short cuts in most fighting games if at all).

Linkhero1

Fuck...

:(

diffusionx

Gold Member
One reason why I was hesitant to get a TE2 was because I heard that the plastic on the top was not solid, and a lot of people were using an aftermarket company to replace it. Is the TE2+ any better? I find it hard to believe Mad Catz would cheap out on a $200 piece of equipment in this way.

Skilletor

One reason why I was hesitant to get a TE2 was because I heard that the plastic on the top was not solid, and a lot of people were using an aftermarket company to replace it. Is the TE2+ any better? I find it hard to believe Mad Catz would cheap out on a $200 piece of equipment in this way.

They fixed those problems.

OG plexi is jank as fuck.

TES+ is delayed now too?!

MoxManiac

Don't forget they need electricity to play the game. And an apartment to have electricity.

Buy a 150 dollar Hori or a brook adapter if you don't want to buy a new stick.

This is so much like SF4 launch it's hilarious.

I am going the brook route. But I think the brook adaptor introduces lag (slightly more than the skullgirls ps3 driver IIRC) so it's not the best option :/

If Capcom would stop beating around the bush about a possible PS3 driver for SFV this would be much less of an issue for people.

I have the TE2+ preordered at amazon, but to be honest I'd be fine with either.

The annoying part of all of this is that they just wont confirm or deny ps3 sticks. If they just said that we can use them, I'd still be buying my ps4 stick and I just wouldn't have to worry about waiting it out...

Oh thank goodness! Why didn't you specify originally?!

Top Bottom