• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madcatz reveal Street Fighter V Arcade Sticks and Fight Pad

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Space to rest your palms. Length so that it's comfortable to sit in your lap. Space inside the case for the stick and buttons to fit comfortably. Ergonomics. I hate the alpha. I wouldn't want my stick and buttons to be so close, that's hella uncomfortable for me. I love larger sticks. It's one of the reasons I don't like the HRAP case and can't wait for the fightingedge. can comfortably rest my hands on the case without it hanging off, super solid feel on the plexi, and a striking design.

The MKX stick is based on an american stick and those buttons and sticks take up more space in the case.

Ok i can see your points but i still think that some space could be cut while keeping enough space for all the pros you like so much, maybe i just don't know what i'm talking about since i don't have one(but i used to go to arcades! XD )

EDIT:
Many prefer a larger heavier arcade stick. Especially if you're going to be playing with it on your lap. Also, extra space on the play area of the controller helps accommodate additional grip/play styles.
I didn't think about that! :O

Skilletor

Ok i can see your points but i still think that some space could be cut while keeping enough space for all the pros you like so much, maybe i just don't know what i'm talking about since i don't have one(but i used to go to arcades! XD )

EDIT:

I didn't think about that! :O

Some sticks do. The HRAP's don't have as large a footprint as the TE2s. The TE itself is a lower profile. The fightingedge is a bit shorter than the TE while being wider than both the TE1 and 2.

And then the alpha and hori smaller sticks. :) Options aplenty!

Some sticks do. The HRAP's don't have as large a footprint as the TE2s. The TE itself is a lower profile. The fightingedge is a bit shorter than the TE while being wider than both the TE1 and 2.

And then the alpha and hori smaller sticks. :) Options aplenty!

Don't forget people with large hands

Guys I think there is a pricing error on the Amazon.ca!

The TES+ can be ordered for CDN$ 164.99 and the TES2 for CDN$ 204.99.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B018AW405K/

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B018AW408C/

Go, go, go.

I couldn't decide which I wanted so I ordered both for now. With the crap Canadian dollar these will be in the $300 and over range when the correct prices go up.

The Chun-Li one is 329.99$ so it at minimum a 120$ saving. The TE2+ is 349.99$ on Mad Catz website, that's 145$ saved.

Skilletor

Don't forget people with large hands

That's me. I'm 6'4 with big hands, so I prefer large sticks and the NOIR layout.

All of this is just making me sad that I don't have a fightingedge on my ps4.

I might actually have to look into a convertor for that, now that I'm thinking of it.

iluvgames

Banned
im in the uk here the TES+ is showing on amazon.ca as $164.99 +£81.28 according to google. how much would i pay in shipping and tax anyone know ?

I'm glad I have my Femme Fatale TE modded for PS4, I still love my stick to death. I have no interest in buying a new one. I just wish mine had anti-slip pads on the bottom. Plus I don't think I'll ever have another stick as pretty as this one.

femmefataleTE_zpsdleuhbb5.jpg

Ooooh. I have a Chun-Li TE stick for PS3, but I don't use it enough. I wonder how much it would be to have it modded for PS4.

shaowebb

*sees price*
yeaaaaaaaah...I'm just gonna keep modding stick PCB's with Cthulhu gear and playing using the Lab Zero Driver stuff. As long as folks keep using the driver I wont need to dump console prices on a stick.

I guess I'll get the S+ but I wish it was being released earlier so I could mess around with it before SFV releases and play skullgirls or guilty gear. I really don't want to buy one of the other sticks since they added touchpads. I guess I could always go for a Hori but I dunno

*sees price*
yeaaaaaaaah...I'm just gonna keep modding stick PCB's with Cthulhu gear and playing using the Lab Zero Driver stuff. As long as folks keep using the driver I wont need to dump console prices on a stick.

Yeah, modding is the way to go if you know/can learn how to solder.

I just modded an empty TE-S shell with a Cthulhu, 360 fightpad, Imp 2.0, Hori Fighting Commander, RJ-4t and DPDT switch. With the right cables the stick should work on everything but an XBone.

That said, it was much easier to mod back when I lived with my parents. Nowadays that is that I could previously get done in one long day took me like 1.5 weeks of on again and off again tinkering and a near total redue in the middle. The resulting wiring job is a nightmare. So for those with a lot of time obligations it could honestly be worth their resources to just buy a new stick. I'm too cheap for that.

Skilletor

I'd be interested to see how they work for you. I am looking to get one so I can play KI. Are there any latency tests on the X1 converters?

There's a huge thread about them on srk. Can't li k now, on my phone. Impressions have been very positive. The one caveat I'd say is that a firmware broke the adaptor working and introduced the 8 minute time out. The developers pushed out their own firmware update to fix it so that it worked normally, but there's no guarantee that will always happen, or always happen as quickly.

There's a huge thread about them on srk. Can't li k now, on my phone. Impressions have been very positive. The one caveat I'd say is that a firmware broke the adaptor working and introduced the 8 minute time out. The developers pushed out their own firmware update to fix it so that it worked normally, but there's no guarantee that will always happen, or always happen as quickly.

Gum mods seems like the safer option since it actually uses ps4 parts. I emailed the guy so let's see.

Skilletor

Gum mods seems like the safer option since it actually uses ps4 parts. I emailed the guy so let's see.

Gummo is good people. Lots of people use him.

The 2nd link is a local person who does lots of mods in CO. He did all of my dual mods on last gen. Decided I was done with those solutions this gen (aside from my cab), and just going to buy sticks.

shaowebb

Yeah, modding is the way to go if you know/can learn how to solder.

I just modded an empty TE-S shell with a Cthulhu, 360 fightpad, Imp 2.0, Hori Fighting Commander, RJ-4t and DPDT switch. With the right cables the stick should work on everything but an XBone.

That said, it was much easier to mod back when I lived with my parents. Nowadays that is that I could previously get done in one long day took me like 1.5 weeks of on again and off again tinkering and a near total redue in the middle. The resulting wiring job is a nightmare. So for those with a lot of time obligations it could honestly be worth their resources to just buy a new stick. I'm too cheap for that.

Hell, you don't even need to know how to sodder anymore on a lot of PCB's. Those things are plug and play! Cables for the buttons plug into the PCB and then into your button. No soddering required. Not shitty cables either, these are the zero delay setups too. Just pop the old PCB out, pop the new one in, and start matching plugs to ports. The ports are labeled too. Braindead.

Hell here's a PCB that costs all of $20 that works great.

If the game supports PS3 sticks on the PS4 then congrats. This PCB will make your old stick work on the PS4 for that game. Plus it means you now have a stick for PS2, Wii (via converter) and PC via it having the Xbox 360 pc controller drivers (though it wont actually run on a 360). I use that current PCB for my PS3, PC, and via the converter to play Tatsunoko vs Capcom on Wii along with Samurai Showdown collection, Castle Shikigami 3, Ultimate Shooting Collection, KOF Orochi Saga Collection, and some select eshop/virtual console stuff.

Wallach

HitBox is coming out with a PS4/PS3/PC 'stick' (lol) that's up for pre-order now and supposed to start shipping this month.

Shit, preorders are open for this?

Now I have to decide between this and modding that sick-as Shadaloo TES in the OP...

Edit - Going Hitbox for now. My PS3/PC Hitbox is still my primary device and I dunno how easily I can find someone to convert the TES+ to stickless. Love the design though, and the touchpad is a nice, uh, touch (though hopefully not one actually important to fighting games specifically).

I'll have to find the thread. Looking to get a PS3/PS4-X1 converter for KI and a X1-PS4 converter for the elite controller.

UberTag

Guys I think there is a pricing error on the Amazon.ca!

The TES+ can be ordered for CDN$ 164.99 and the TES2 for CDN$ 204.99.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B018AW405K/

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B018AW408C/

Go, go, go.

I couldn't decide which I wanted so I ordered both for now. With the crap Canadian dollar these will be in the $300 and over range when the correct prices go up.
I'm really torn on which of these to go with.
Pre-ordered both naturally given the price errors so I've got time to let GAF help me decide.

For those of you in the States who are curious as to what these prices are when converted, Amazon.ca has the TES+ listed at $123.74 US and the TE2+ listed at $153.70 US.
We're effectively saving $75 US off retail on each.

I'm really torn on which of these to go with.
Pre-ordered both naturally given the price errors so I've got time to let GAF help me decide.

For those of you in the States who are curious as to what these prices are when converted, Amazon.ca has the TES+ listed at $123.74 US and the TE2+ listed at $153.70 US.
We're effectively saving $75 US off retail on each of these.

I live in the US does prime work for me even If order from amazon.ca?

k1t4j

That alpha looks pretty cool, just afraid it will be too small. Guess i'll wait for some review and hands on.

vg260

As for my own peripheral feature complaint, I'm going to be pissed if SF5 requires the touchpad button to pull up command lists or something like that during training/challenge mode. That's the only thing I don't like about the HORI FC4 in USFIV.

I have one of those too, but the pad was gimped from the start by not having all the functions a DS4 has. Users should have known it didn't have all of the standard controller features. I was ok with the sacrifice for this pad, but that's why I skipped the TE2. A lot of the early third party stuff were carryover of shells from old PS3/XB1 model sticks and pads. The touchpad messed everything up, and I think it was a bad move by Sony, but it's time to reset and make the touchpad a default feature rather than limiting game/UI functions because of outdated re-used third-party controller designs.

Why only six buttons for the alpha stick?

It would defeat the purpose of a compact stick and raise the cost.

Degen

Sixty bucks and it's gotta have that Ryu scribble on it?

you're testing me, MadCatz... but I'll buy it.

Considering I've never properly got into SFV I feel Alpha seems good for price etc...not sure what the benefits to me the more expensive ones would offer. Not sure I'd take it THAT seriously to warrant the purchase.

As a person who is looking to get his first fight stick the TES+ looks really nice. Does the TE2+ offer anything different that would justify getting that one over the TES+?

Pompadour

As a person who is looking to get his first fight stick the TES+ looks really nice. Does the TE2+ offer anything different that would justify getting that one over the TES+?

The only difference is the TE2+ is easier to mod with a button that opens the case up. However, the TES+ is also easy to mod as well.

Nephtes

I'll need one of these because the DS4 dpad is atrocious for SFV

Agreed. I don't know how they went from the DS3 d-pad to the DS4 d-pad. It's a step backwards in all the ways...

When a Microsoft controller has a better d-pad than you, you know there's a problem...

Here's hoping that engineer was fired... (and the one that thought a giant light and crappy triggers that break easily were a good idea)

TE2 is easier to swap out parts in. Useful in case any parts break or malfunction.

It's pretty easy to open up a TE though. Just gotta unscrew the back.

Skilletor

Unless Capcom has tuned SFV specifically for arcade sticks?

By making inputs easier, removing plinking, and easing execution overall? Nope.

The only SF's tuned specifically for fightsticks were the ones that originally came out in arcades, and even those most people played on pads.

Snakebee

Neo Member
I already got a HRAP v4 recently, but I ordered an alpha stick just to have a second one for my friends to use. Markman on twitter said the alpha one will be mod friendly to a degree.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
By making inputs easier, removing plinking, and easing execution overall? Nope.

The only SF's tuned specifically for fightsticks were the ones that originally came out in arcades, and even those most people played on pads.

Ok cool well my first post stands. After playing Killer Instinct for the last 2 years, playing SFV on the DS4 during the beta felt almost clunky. I'm choosing to blame the controller. Not the game.

Top Bottom