• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madcatz reveal Street Fighter V Arcade Sticks and Fight Pad

Fitts

Via Markman
CVV-qA9UsAUjU7V.jpg

I can't imagine that dpad will offer much in the way of tactility, but who knows? It's an interesting design to be certain.

My wife ruined the TES+ stick for me by pointing out that the Shadaloo logo looks like something that would be on an Affliction shirt.

Haha

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Gunna wait on build quality reviews on those alphas. It's a good price and I want a new stick.

Will there be more colors to the FightPad Pro? And never mind I just searched it on Amazon and I see blue, red, white, and black.

I hope the black one will come back for pre-order...

Shouta

Hey Markman, how's the build quality of the new pad vs the SFxT ones? Will they also continue be available for a long time?

My biggest problem with the SFxT pad was that some parts were prone to breaking, particularly the shoulder buttons.They can't be replaced so you had to buy a new pad which became exceedingly more difficult to do a year or two after they were released. If we're gonna be playing SF5 for years, I'd like to know the pad I'm used to is available all the way to the end, lol.

RM8

Why do fight pads often have weird looking d-pads? Are they better? Because I'd like a solid, normal d-pad for fighters, not something like this.

Sonson21

Banned
If only they would have made the Chun-li stick with the TE's design, that would have been mad sexy.

Think I may buy the Chun pad, although I'd like some reviews on the d-pad first.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Hey Markman, how's the build quality of the new pad vs the SFxT ones? Will they also continue be available for a long time?

My biggest problem with the SFxT pad was that some parts were prone to breaking, particularly the shoulder buttons.They can't be replaced so you had to buy a new pad which became exceedingly more difficult to do a year or two after they were released. If we're gonna be playing SF5 for years, I'd like to know the pad I'm used to is available all the way to the end, lol.

We're working on improving the build quality to new levels and this is with the knowledge of previous iterations in mind, of course.

We will continue to support this product range and make it available for at least a few years.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Why do fight pads often have weird looking d-pads? Are they better? Because I'd like a solid, normal d-pad for fighters, not something like this.

I assume it's because fighting games use a lot of circular motions and the designers are trying to make something that facilitates that. I agree with you, however, that a regular d-pad is preferable. That might just be because I learned Street Fighter for the most part on the SNES and PS1.

In any case, I'd like to feel it before I judge, but the fact that this thing has triggers for L2 and R2 means I'm unlikely to buy one. (I don't play claw style.)

Tanston

The adapters like cronus max have been known to burn out usb ports? Is that a thing? I have a Hori for the xbox 360 that I love. I really can't justify the cost of a new high end stick for the PS4 and would love to be able to use the Hori, but I don't want to take any risk of damaging my PS4 to do it.

I'd be happy with the alpha stick if it's not super small/light I suppose i'll have to wait for impressions.

DrTrouserPlank

Neo Member
I've got a Streetfighter X Tekken Fightstick Pro TE for the 360 which I assume doesn't work right?

If I don't care for artwork is there any reason I wouldn't just buy a TE2 for the Xbox one because I can get those at reasonable prices. Are they essentially the same as these new ones?

LegendX48

Looking at it some more, I'm not the only one thinking the placement of the touchpad, L3/R3 and ps button(s) on the TE S+ stick is terrible, am I?

Luigi87

I've got a Streetfighter X Tekken Fightstick Pro TE for the 360 which I assume doesn't work right?

If I don't care for artwork is there any reason I wouldn't just buy a TE2 for the Xbox one because I can get those at reasonable prices. Are they essentially the same as these new ones?
They basically are the same. Theses ones also wouldn't benefit you anyhow.
These are just units that are for PS4/PS3, the plus adding in the L3/R3 buttons, and the PS4's touchpad.

DrTrouserPlank

Neo Member
They basically are the same. Theses ones also wouldn't benefit you anyhow.
These are just units that are for PS4/PS3, the plus adding in the L3/R3 buttons, and the PS4's touchpad.

Do you know if the TE2 for Xbox One works fully on PC? by fully I mean at least all 8 main-panel buttons.

I don't have the beta so what's the touchpad used for in SFV and will my old TE2 stick work?
Thanks, sorry if this has already been mentioned

vg260

The licensing is part of why the TE2 is more expensive according to Markman.

So the ones with madcatz art are going to be cheaper?

You'd think so based on that logic, but the generic blue TE2 was just as expensive as the licensed ones. Same with other models. So that explanation as to why they've gotten so expensive is a bit disingenuous when you're still paying the license tax so to speak on the generic ones.

You'd think so based on that logic, but the generic blue TE2 was just as expensive as the licensed ones. Same with other models. So that explanation as to why they've gotten so expensive is a bit disingenuous when you're still paying the license tax so to speak on the generic ones.

Pretty much that explanation goes out the window.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
You beat me to it!

---

Some early prototypes being tested and used for USFIV and TTT2:

https://twitter.com/MarkMan23/status/672600979305558016

https://twitter.com/MarkMan23/status/672595865257775104

Markman, is the dpad a vastly different internal design than the first? The first also had a tendency to wear out on one side faster because there wasn't a gated edge on that side. Has that been remedied for this new version?

I've run through about 4 fight pads over the years.

Coda

Question is how much better is this new pad than a Saturn pad? I can play my PS2 Saturn pad via the Brooks adapter on my PS4 but this new pad looks pretty great.

Skilletor

The SF5 ones are the more expensive TE2s. I assume that's what he means with a new license, not the ones before this. Those are the only TE2s that are more expensive so far. Even the generic TE2s with the updated plexi are still 200.

vg260

The SF5 ones are the more expensive TE2s. I assume that's what he means with a new license, not the ones before this. Those are the only TE2s that are more expensive so far. Even the generic TE2s with the updated plexi are still 200.

We'll see how much the generic TE2+s are if/when they eventually come out, but there's no reason to believe they'll be cheaper based on what we've seen with older models. They've never passed any extra margin on unlicensed sticks to customers iirc.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks

Different titles and different projects have different license/royalty rates.

Yes our older version TE2s were $199.99. However moving forward with the SFV ones they've all been $229.99.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
We'll see how much the generic TE2+s are if/when they eventually come out, but there's no reason to believe they'll be cheaper based on what we've seen with older models. They've never passed any extra margin on unlicensed sticks to customers iirc.

When we did the SFIV ones back in 2009, they were unlicensed by Sony. They were $149.99. When we did the Marvel VS Capcom one in 2010, they were $159.99. Just saying.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Markman, is the dpad a vastly different internal design than the first? The first also had a tendency to wear out on one side faster because there wasn't a gated edge on that side. Has that been remedied for this new version?

I've run through about 4 fight pads over the years.

We're going forward with a different construction/base for the D-Pad this generation. Here are some pics to reference the inner housing and how the D-Pad is positioned: https://twitter.com/MarkMan23/status/672428548347396096

vg260

Different titles and different projects have different license/royalty rates.

Yes our older version TE2s were $199.99. However moving forward with the SFV ones they've all been $229.99.

Will there be any non-licensed TE2+ or S+ models?

Would it be safe to assume a similar price point if so?

Having bought sticks already, the higher price points make justifying yet another one a bit harder. Not really caring about licensed art, any price difference would help. I have Hori ones, but miss the wrist space.

Jinroh

Is there any place where we can preorder the TE2+ in Europe? I'd like to buy one of those sticks but the only one I can find in Europe is the TE2 for xbox one. I'm looking for a PS4 version but can't find one anywhere.

Are quantities very limited at each release?

Dremark

Banned
Honestly it's a bummer but it's more of a convenience thing with the touch pad.I'll deal. I'm gonna mod the Chun stick anyways cause the case and button colors work for what I want. At least I'll have something more unique.

*shrug*

Yeah the case color is the reason I'm still considering the Chun Li Stick. I want to mod full Seimetsu anyway so the other stuff doesn't matter. Not sure what I'll end up doing though.

pizzacat

Banned
That fight stick jr™ didn't even look that bad on stream, it looks like the thing for someone who wants to start playing fighting games but don't know if they should waste a lot just yet

I don't have the beta so what's the touchpad used for in SFV and will my old TE2 stick work?
Thanks, sorry if this has already been mentioned

Are you on PC or PS4? PC you will be fine, PS4 not sure if old sticks will work right out of the gate. The touchpad is used for plinking.

Top Bottom